Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Starwars

Arcane
I think combat feels pretty much like the IE games, and yeah, the BGs in particular. It is quite challenging in places (in fact, I just played through a very cool battle which I just barely made it out of). It's still disappointing that there is no proper death system. Even though the auto-regen is lame, I find the lack of a death system to be the worst part of it. It takes a lot of the sting out of the battles.
But I mean, despite complaining, I still enjoy the combat quite a bit at hard difficulty.

Haven't noticed the level scaling yet personally, but I only just made it out into the world map where you can choose where to go.

There are some retarded moments. There is one small town with tiny wilderness area just outside it fairly early in the game. I explored this area, killed some bandits and spiders that were hiding. I then returned to town and found a quest where I should locate a boys dead mother. At this point, the dead body magically spawns in the outskirts area that I had just cleared. I hate stuff like that. Same thing happened when I accept a quest to clear out a few infected bears. They magically spawn upon accepting the quest. It wouldn't be so bad, but they're located such a short distance away from where you accept the quest, you don't even need to "zone" to go there.

The companions are more likeable than I thought. Biggest problem I have are with the "evil ones" who still join your party to defeat the darkspawn, but still can't grasp the idea that it might be a good to help other people in order to fortify defenses against the Blight. So you get a whole lot of "waah, why are we helping this guy?" nonsense.

Story seems pretty promising so far. The world is fairly steeped in its lore, and characters will often reference the lore of the world. This is contrast to ME for example, where I felt a lot of it was just shoved into the the codex (or whatever it was called there) and never really was of any consequence in the game. A lot of it is pretty standard stuff, but it does give the world a more genuine feel.

Like I said before, it's still undoubtedly a Bioware-ish game, with everything that means. But, this time it's actually done a lot better. I'm enjoying it so far.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Grunker said:
We're comparing it to Dungeon Siege now? ^^

Really, guys. This place is great, but you have to do better than that.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Blackadder said:
Trash, what game would you say the combat is most like? And honestly, is it at all challenging?

Also, tell me more about the level scaling and its effect.

And how is it for specs? Resource hungry?

Combat reminds me of the old IE games. I usually play with the over the shoulders look and switch to overhead whenever combat starts. Combat can be pretty challenging on hard. You can't just mash the potion button since drinking a potion takes time and there is a cooldown effect you have to wait for after drinking one. Archers and spell casters try to keep their distance while melee troops usually wade in heavy. They also seem to have different variables for whom they target. Sometimes they seem to go for the char with the heaviest armor, often for the one dealing the most damage and they also often try to swamp one of your with several of theirs all the while using their own abilities.

I honestly haven't seen anything silly due to level scaling yet, but I'm only 8 - 10 hours in. It remains consistently challenging wherever I go so far. Will see how it goes later on. The game does seem to have a huge amount of content. Can't say I like every area so far. Some have a much better atmosphere, design and story than others, though that is partly up to personal preference.

Concerning specs my 3.4 ghz single core pentium D with 2 GB of Ram and a 8800GT plays it perfectly and without a hitch at nearly the highest setting.

relootz

Scholar
Why do u try so hard to fit in Chief? Conformist faggot.

Anyway i guess i'll download the game and give it a try, it does seem to be good enough.

circ

Arcane
AlaCarcuss said:
For fucks sake dude - your asking all these questions about the game in one breath, then in the next making critisisms of it, again as statements of fact - join your mate skyway and "play the fucking game"!
Well you asked a question (regarding Dungeon Siege) and I gave an answer.

AlaCarcuss said:
I mentioned the penalties for falling in combat above and yes you can poison weapons if you (or one of your party memebers) have the poisoning skill.
Nice I guess. But is this just a type of poison that increases damage or are there various poison types ala D&D?

AlaCarcuss said:
There's also definatley C&C in some of the dialog trees. I've already missed out on one quest and also an important (i think) character now refuses to talk to me because I chose all the "smartass" responses.
Nice too. Though I doubt he or she is that important as this is a BioWare game, where undoubtedly in the last boss fight you can do a 180 align shift. If there is even an align system this time.

AlaCarcuss said:
What still amazes me is that every single line of dialog in the entire game is fully voiced! I'm not sure that's ever been done before - not in a game of this length anyway?
This on the other hand.. So it's fully voiced, wow? Fully voiced with crap writing and just as bad voice acting?

Ch1ef

Scholar
I PWND YOUR MOM TRASH SEE ITSO EAZY I DONT EVEN HAVE TO TRY

1eyedking

Erudite
Finally! The demo's light waves made their way through a series of tubes and now rest as ferromagnetic material in my hard disk, awaiting judgment.

Trash said:
Oh, to be 12 again.

25.gif

MetalCraze

Arcane
Trash said:
Aka it just makes them stronger while nerfing your party.

Again, they also become more agressive and use their abilities more. Do you even read what I wrote?

Yes. You wrote what I wrote except for "enemies just attack you more and use abilities more often it's totally different see"

The fact is: a game with a godmode can't be challenging - no matter what excuses you may find.

You're reaching and acting retarded. Look up the meaning of the word "drafted". But you don't even care since your once again bitching for codex coolpoints. Fuck this.

And here we go again - forgetting about the game and bawwing about me. Trashy, I don't even try. You forgot the mandatory "you just hate all games".

AlaCarcuss said:
What still amazes me is that every single line of dialog in the entire game is fully voiced! I'm not sure that's ever been done before - not in a game of this length anyway?

And then people wonder why next-gen Codexers think that crap like DA is good - when they haven't played even 3+ years old games at all.

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Trash said:
Aka it just makes them stronger while nerfing your party.

Again, they also become more agressive and use their abilities more. Do you even read what I wrote?

Yes. You wrote what I wrote except for "enemies just attack you more and use abilities more often it's totally different see"

The fact is: a game with a godmode can't be challenging - no matter what excuses you may find.

Fascinating. I never knew "health regenerated after combat" = God Mode. And here I always thought God Mode meant you never take damage, ever. I'm sure this discrepancy has nothing to do with your over-generalized hyperbole regarding a particular gameplay concept you happen to dislike.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

Also, for good measure:

CSIComic-Skyway1.jpg

fastpunk

Arbiter
Yohoho, got the 'demo' myself. So you know what this means: first impressions time!

I played through the origin story and just became a Grey Warden. I picked a dalish elf rogue, so I got the dalish elf origin story. I'll be straight here: the whole part I played was railroad with not one choice in sight. Dialogue wise, I had one persuade check in a minor convo about my char's background, and that's about it. Most dialogue options were typical bioware fluff that leads to the same response. However, I must say that the writing is decent thus far. Some of the lore entries in the codex were quite interesting, and most dialogues were alright (though nothing spectacular, but at least nothing cringe-worthy so far). The thing is, the origin story was very bland overall. Maybe it's just my luck and this origin story isn't that well crafted, others might be better. Thus far it's about on par with NWN2's first act in terms of blandness, which isn't flattering.

I have to disagree with some people in regards to combat, which feels much closer to NWN2 than Infinity engine games. True, the DA engine lends itself to a variety of play styles, but functionally it feels like it was made with a NWN2-like control scheme in mind first and foremost (top-down view for combat, char view for exploration, keep direct control only over main char, correct the AI if need be). In fact, that's how I'm playing it and it feels very comfortable (and enjoyable I might add). Plus, the health and mana regeneration after combat has a similar effect to the permissive resting system from vanilla NWN2. Oh, and the 'death' system is also like in vanilla NWN2. It's not the ideal RTwP combat system, but it works fine.

The tech side is solid, the game runs smoothly, and I like the menus and HUD elements (journal, inventory, hotbar etc.), they feel polished and functional. The game doesn't look that good though, specially exteriors involving wild areas. The (so far at least) generic art direction doesn't help either. I'd say The Witcher looks much better, and in some instances even NWN2.

To conclude, the beginning was anemic as far as the campaign goes. However, I must stress that the engine seems like a very solid foundation for builders, which is why I'm curious what the likes of Adam Miller or Ossian Studios will do with it. And I'm obviously not tossing aside the DA:O campaign yet, I will continue to play some more. But I hope it gets better.

Imbecile

Arbiter
TNO said:
So, judging by the thread, is DA:O going to be one the games we're going to mercilessly hate to keep our Kodex Kool Kred, even though it isn't really that bad?

As far as I can tell, the people who have played it quite like it. The people who haven't played it (and Baronjohn) hate its fucking guts!

Of course, it could just be that the people predisposed to like DA have bought it. :?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Silellak said:
Fascinating. I never knew "health regenerated after combat" = God Mode.
Health, mana, the inability of characters to die ever, each combat encounter starts with your party at full strength - write all things. The point where your characters don't take damage is like the very next step in dumbing down. How, together with terribad MMO-like combat, can it be enjoyed at all? But they managed to make a shitty NWN2-like combat even worse - kudos for that.

I'm sure this discrepancy has nothing to do with your over-generalized hyperbole regarding a particular gameplay concept you happen to dislike.
"Gameplay concept"

Silellak

Cipher
Imbecile said:
TNO said:
So, judging by the thread, is DA:O going to be one the games we're going to mercilessly hate to keep our Kodex Kool Kred, even though it isn't really that bad?

As far as I can tell, the people who have played it quite like it. The people who haven't played it (and Baronjohn) hate its fucking guts!

Of course, it could just be that the people predisposed to like DA have bought it. :?

I'll be picking up a copy today at lunch. Eventually I'll get around to posting my impressions, but I'm pretty sure I'll like it, since I have fairly low standards (at least compared to the Codex Cool Crowd).

Ch1ef

Scholar
fastpunk said:
Yohoho, got the 'demo' myself. So you know what this means: first impressions time!

I played through the origin story and just became a Grey Warden. I picked a dalish elf rogue, so I got the dalish elf origin story. I'll be straight here: the whole part I played was railroad with not one choice in sight. Dialogue wise, I had one persuade check in a minor convo about my char's background, and that's about it. Most dialogue options were typical bioware fluff that leads to the same response. However, I must say that the writing is decent thus far. Some of the lore entries in the codex were quite interesting, and most dialogues were alright (though nothing spectacular, but at least nothing cringe-worthy so far). The thing is, the origin story was very bland overall. Maybe it's just my luck and this origin story isn't that well crafted, others might be better. Thus far it's about on par with NWN2's first act in terms of blandness, which isn't flattering.

I have to disagree with some people in regards to combat, which feels much closer to NWN2 than Infinity engine games. True, the DA engine lends itself to a variety of play styles, but functionally it feels like it was made with a NWN2-like control scheme in mind first and foremost (top-down view for combat, char view for exploration, keep direct control only over main char, correct the AI if need be). In fact, that's how I'm playing it and it feels very comfortable (and enjoyable I might add). Plus, the health and mana regeneration after combat has a similar effect to the permissive resting system from vanilla NWN2. Oh, and the 'death' system is also like in vanilla NWN2. It's not the ideal RTwP combat system, but it works fine.

The tech side is solid, the game runs smoothly, and I like the menus and HUD elements (journal, inventory, hotbar etc.), they feel polished and functional. The game doesn't look that good though, specially exteriors involving wild areas. The (so far at least) generic art direction doesn't help either. I'd say The Witcher looks much better, and in some instances even NWN2.

To conclude, the beginning was anemic as far as the campaign goes. However, I must stress that the engine seems like a very solid foundation for builders, which is why I'm curious what the likes of Adam Miller or Ossian Studios will do with it. And I'm obviously not tossing aside the DA:O campaign yet, I will continue to play some more. But I hope it gets better.
:SLURP: :SLURP: :SLURP:

Silellak

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Silellak said:
Fascinating. I never knew "health regenerated after combat" = God Mode.
Health, mana, the inability of characters to die ever, each combat encounter starts with your party at full strength - write all things. The point where your characters don't take damage is like the very next step in dumbing down. How, together with terribad MMO-like combat, can it be enjoyed at all? But they managed to make a shitty NWN2-like combat even worse - kudos for that.

It doesn't matter if you start each combat encounter at full strength if the combat encounters in and of themselves are individually challenging. Am I saying this is the case for DA? Nope, no idea, because I haven't actually played it. But the potential is certainly there for challenge - the regeneration out of combat might make it less likely, but it doesn't dismiss the possibility entirely.

Also, you don't start every encounter at full strength. When someone "dies" and comes back at the end of combat, they take injuries. Those injuries stack, and can lead to an adjustment of tactics - see the post earlier someone made about their ranged warrior no longer being able to carry a bow due to Dex injuries. Of course, I'm sure you knew that, and just ignored it because it didn't fit into the arguments you've developed based entirely around your own preconceptions rather than actual information.

Am I a fan of MMO style combat? No, but a big part of that is because in an MMO, you only control a single person. This means that all solo combat usually boils down to is jamming your hotkeys in a particular order and watching your abilities recharge, which is pretty mind-numbing. But, if there were an MMO where I could play with a 5-6 character party and jump around between party members, it might actually become enjoyable. As with regenerating health, it's not necessarily the concept itself that's flawed, just the popular implementations of it.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Ch1ef said:
fastpunk said:
the whole part I played was railroad with not one choice in sight....

...Dialogue wise, I had one persuade check in a minor convo about my char's background, and that's about it

...Most dialogue options were typical bioware fluff that leads to the same response

...and most dialogues were alright (though nothing spectacular, but at least nothing cringe-worthy so far).

...The thing is, the origin story was very bland overall.

... Thus far it's about on par with NWN2's first act in terms of blandness, which isn't flattering.

... It's not the ideal RTwP combat system, but it works fine.

...The game doesn't look that good though, specially exteriors involving wild areas. The (so far at least) generic art direction doesn't help either. I'd say The Witcher looks much better, and in some instances even NWN2.

... the beginning was anemic as far as the campaign goes. However,

... I will continue to play some more. But I hope it gets better.
:SLURP: :SLURP: :SLURP:

For fuck sake. fastpunk posted what seemed to be a relatively balanced set of first impressions (negative points highlighted for effect), and you ignore all of these.

This is codex decline right here. At some point it was permissible to say something positive (or balanced) about something. This is increasingly not the case. Make reasoned points, compare them to other games, highlight the positives and the negatives. Y'know kinda like fastpunks decent first impressions.

Ch1ef

Scholar
This is why we can't have good RPG.

"People" just used to eat shit.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Imbecile said:
For fuck sake. fastpunk posted what seemed to be a relatively balanced set of first impressions (negative points highlighted for effect), and you ignore all of these.

This is codex decline right here. At some point it was permissible to say something positive (or balanced) about something. This is increasingly not the case. Make reasoned points, compare them to other games, highlight the positives and the negatives. Y'know kinda like fastpunks decent first impressions.

This is what happens when the mayority of new posters arrive here from 4chan and are in their early teens. C'est la vie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom