Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Lavoisier said:
Jesus still loves you. Tell your mother how much you care about her, give her a hug and go to church on sunday and all will be well.

It's funny how statements like thse make me rage a little. Like, STOP BEING SO FUCKING POSITIVE, CAN'T YOU SEE I'M MAD

Jesus loves you too Clockwork. Take a deep breath and feel how the happiness and peace of mind just comes easily when you stop worrying.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Lavoisier said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Lavoisier said:
Jesus still loves you. Tell your mother how much you care about her, give her a hug and go to church on sunday and all will be well.

It's funny how statements like thse make me rage a little. Like, STOP BEING SO FUCKING POSITIVE, CAN'T YOU SEE I'M MAD

Jesus loves you too Clockwork. Take a deep breath and feel how the happiness and peace of mind just comes easily when you stop worrying.

He doesn't love everybody, apparently.

1eyedking

Erudite
Nope. That's still not irony.

It would have been, if a bit vaguely, had it been the other way around: the elves enslaved the humans and then asked for their help: it's ironic when the powerful can't solve a task and turn to whom they weakened to do it instead.

Furthermore the Keeper doesn't send a human to solve the problem, but to get rid of it. Two entirely different things.

Vault Dweller said:
Elves create werewolves to kill humans and then ask humans to kill werewolves. Just think about it.
There's no bitter comeback in that. It's just an antithesis.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Grunker said:
Lavoisier said:
Clockwork Knight said:
Lavoisier said:

He doesn't love everybody, apparently.

I doubt Jesus would have the pettiness required really hate someone. Maybe butt pirating was frowned upon by him but butt pirates certainly weren't.

Hmmm... Irony is by definition a disparity between an expected outcome and an actual outcome. Now, it's not to be confused with coincidence, but is of a more... extreme nature.

Can we agree on that definition? Great, now let's go beyond that.

Lore-wise, the Elves were enslaved by humans, freed, then fought a war with the humans, and are currently seen as second class citizens at best and potential rebels at worst by humans. They hate humans considerably.

This is another point I think we can all agree on.

Now, let's put it this way. It would be like blacks in Alabama in the early 60s asking the National Guard to help them with the growing Mexican problem. That seems like a disparity between an expected outcome and the actual outcome.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
1eyedking said:
Vault Dweller said:
Elves create werewolves to kill humans and then ask humans to kill werewolves. Just think about it.
There's no bitter comeback in that. It's just an antithesis.
Look at it from the werewolves' point of view. Their purpose, brutally forced on them, was to kill humans for the elves, but when the werewolves' existence became an inconvenience for the elves, they didn't hesitate to ask humans - the very reason for the werewolves' existence and the cause of their suffering - to hunt them down and kill them, much like wolves were told to hunt down humans. The elves' actions betray the werewolves and their original purpose.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Furthermore the Keeper doesn't send a human to solve the problem, but to get rid of it."

Oh, give it up.

1eyedking

Erudite
blackshoe said:
Vault Dweller said:
blah blah blah i am of homosexual orientation.
interesting.
Don't be childish.

Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Irony is by definition a disparity between an expected outcome and an actual outcome.
This is not irony. Irony is when the medium for the outcome bites one back: there must be a "lesson" taught somewhere.

Vault Dweller said:
Look at it from the werewolves' point of view. Their purpose, brutally forced on them, was to kill humans for the elves, but when the werewolves' existence became an inconvenience for the elves, they didn't hesitate to ask humans - the very reason for the werewolves' existence and the cause of their suffering - to hunt them down and kill them, much like wolves were told to hunt down humans. The elves' actions betray the werewolves and their original purpose.
You're getting everything wrong.

Humans were cursed to live as mindless werewolves as punishment for killing the Keeper's family. In so doing, however, Witherfang was created which in time became an entity capable of giving the werewolves a will of their own, whom in turn began attacking the elven settlement. Thus the recent cause of the elves' suffering is the Keeper's own thirst for vengeance, not the humans themselves. The irony is, in any case, that the same curse he used to punish his enemies is now punishing him for his own cruel revenge.

Of course, Gaider is not smart enough to realize this, and it shows in his candid grasp of what the true meaning of irony is.

[img:k5xurt35]http://www.tacticularcancer.com/system/templates/classic/images/volly.gif[/img] said:
"Furthermore the Keeper doesn't send a human to solve the problem, but to get rid of it."

Oh, give it up.
Finding a cure for lycanthropy is not the same as removing the curse altogether, since the first allows arbitrary selection: elves would get cured, while human werewolves would be either killed or remain cursed.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I haven't read through all the pages, but tell me, did you people actually spend over 50 pages discussing DA's story and writing (and VD spending most of those pages defending said writing rabidly)? You might as well analyze and evaluate the literary merit of a Star Wars novel. If that. I take it as given that no thought went into the setting, the story, or the characters. Or much of anything, hence the blatant rip-offs and lack of coherence. Most of it is a sad attempt at subverting tropes with varying degrees of success (mostly failure).

No, we've dealt with most of the bitching points. Combat is shit, Writing is Shit, characters are shit, graphics are shit, quests are shit, the Grey Wardens are shit, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else that's shit, too.

No, we discussed about the infernal MMORPG combat, what else matters?

Have you ever read a Star Wars novel? I can see you have not, otherwise you'd know that their literary merit is somewhere at Dragonball level they are awesome.

EDIT : You forgot shit music.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
The graphics are kind of shit, though. They don't even come with good performance, see memory leaks. Very ToEE-esque after a certain point. Bioware should never be trusted to make their own engines.

1eyedking

Erudite
Don't forget superb art direction:

screenshot2009111607525.jpg

Nice armor.

1eyedking

Erudite
It's a platemail. With glowing red neon.

If people can't see what's bad about that then something is terribly wrong.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
i see his point actually, but not really bothered. The dragon imprint on the plate is just too much (TM) to take. Much like having a Nike swish on boots or something.

Anyways I'm disappointed the rogues in this game are either a faggot or a shoe loving princess.

Grifthin

Educated
It's a Cylon helm :)

wait, no it's the laser eyeball dude from xmen!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom