Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
1eyedking said:
Don't forget superb art direction:

Nice armor.

... :shock:

Inziladun

Magister
It's based on real armor designs like this:
wow_paladin_armor.jpg

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Not to mention, every robe/dress appears to be made of... spandex? I don't know, but they're all shiny.

1eyedking

Erudite
Talking about level scaling, this just in:

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-52220658:i4nwngbp]GameSpot[/url] said:
Berserker1_5 said:
What do you mean upgradeable [armor]? You can upgrade armor in the game?

Lord_Blade said:
You can sell items to the dwarf merchant at your camp. Then save and load. Some items will be "upgraded" to a better material when you load ( it's based on your level ).

:facepalm:

It's Oblivion all over again. In before "So what? Enjoy it for what it is".

Multi-headed Cow

I will be heartbroken if my PC blood dragon armor DLC code doesn't work on my 360 Mass Effect 2.

Monocause

Arcane
1eyedking said:

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-52220658:3cq1y1fr]GameSpot[/url] said:
Berserker1_5 said:

Lord_Blade said:
You can sell items to the dwarf merchant at your camp. Then save and load. Some items will be "upgraded" to a better material when you load ( it's based on your level ).

Only standard equipment gets 'upgraded', and I don't think it's based on your level, rather on story progression. The stores get restocked when you do one of the major deeds (ie. finish the Circle tower), I suppose that's when the 'upgrade' happens.

All the non-standard stuff doesn't get upgraded. Ancient elven armor doesn't. Coarse cut gauntlets which I sold in the beginning of the game are still there, rough and for 50 silver. The 'scaling' doesn't have much effect on the gameplay since you'll want to have socketed non-standard weapons or the more rare armor that gives you most benefits.

On the other hand - by the end of the game I bought Veshialle for 130 GP, a dragonbone axe which was available from the dwarf guy in the camp from the very moment I had access to the camp (just checked).
You can get drakeskin and dragonbone armor from Wade much earlier than you'd start finding these. If you save money or take some risks, you can have equipment much more powerful than you're expected to have. So no, not Oblivion again.

Balthamael

Liturgist
Not that it matters, really, but now that I have finished the game...does anyone know why I wasn't allowed to give my character's last name in the character creation. I figured, at first, that it was so NPCs could refer to my character by a name, which was a good reason for the restriction as far as I am concerned. However, I can't think one instance where my character's last name was actually used, I can't even remember it. I was always referred to by epithets, and my character would always introduce himself with his first name.

So, why? I had the magi origin, by the way. Was the last name important in some of the other origins?

Project: Eternity
It makes sense that the last name is fixed in the dwarven and human noble origins, I don't know why they fixed it for the other ones though. I played mage myself and didn't encounter any use of the last name either.

Maybe its for the inevitable sequel where they have to refer to your old character. Every sequel/expansion where you control a new character will always end up in dumbfuckery when the characters are constantly discussing a character whose name isn't even known.

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/dragonage/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-52220658:2cm8ippp]GameSpot[/url] said:
Berserker1_5 said:

Lord_Blade said:

:facepalm:

It's Oblivion all over again. In before "So what? Enjoy it for what it is".
Unless quest rewards have different "tiers" of power based on what level you are when you complete the quest, it's nothing like Oblivion. Not to mention there was never a point where gameplay in Oblivion was even remotely challenging. I don't really like level scaling in DA either, but to compare it to the atrocious implementation in Oblivion is laughable.

DA is hardly the first RPG to have certain merchants whose goods improve as the game goes on. And no, I'm not talking about Oblivion - I'm pretty sure even the Baldur's Gate games had some of that, though I can't remember specifically.

The funny thing is, if Oblivion had never come along and implemented level-scaling in such a poor way that the concept itself became tainted forever, I doubt anyone would even notice its presence in DA. But, thanks to Oblivion, everyone can point at that one feature and shout OMFG!!!!!!!!! IT'S OBLIVION 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE AND RAPES MY SOUL (YET I CONTINUE TO PLAY IT)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1eyedking

Erudite
Silellak said:
Unless quest rewards have different "tiers" of power based on what level you are when you complete the quest, it's nothing like Oblivion.
There are Tier-based rewards depending on what level you are. And it not only happens with rewards, but with random loot as well (which by the way, is random).

Silellak said:
Not to mention there was never a point where gameplay in Oblivion was even remotely challenging. I don't really like level scaling in DA either, but to compare it to the atrocious implementation in Oblivion is laughable.
DA is more challenging than Oblivion, but then again anything is more challenging than that utter piece of crap.

The thing is, DA isn't challenging because encounter design is good; at the few times it is it's only because of spells that can't be resisted and/or are instantly casted, excess knockdown effects, enemies spawning behind you, because you aren't allowed Spot checks for Rogues nor Outdoorsman checks for random encounters, and because mobs scale to your level.

Appearances can be deceiving.

Silellak said:
DA is hardly the first RPG to have certain merchants whose goods improve as the game goes on. And no, I'm not talking about Oblivion - I'm pretty sure even the Baldur's Gate games had some of that, though I can't remember specifically.
A couple of new weapons and ammunition here and there isn't bad. Upgraded versions of older items is something else entirely.

Silellak said:
The funny thing is, if Oblivion had never come along and implemented level-scaling in such a poor way that the concept itself became tainted forever, I doubt anyone would even notice its presence in DA. But, thanks to Oblivion, everyone can point at that one feature and shout OMFG!!!!!!!!! IT'S OBLIVION 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS GAME IS TERRIBLE AND RAPES MY SOUL (YET I CONTINUE TO PLAY IT)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This contends with Volourn's level of stupidity.

And the funny thing is that I stopped playing a good, long while ago. I grew bored of everything quite quickly, and once I found out how weak the C&C department was (which would have been the only saving grace for the game), there was not much point in playing any further.

Upgrading items that you sell to merchants is probably a bug anyway. Its the kind of thing you can see slipping through testing easily. In any case, just about every game has some way to break the trading system and get infinite wealth and/or super powered weapons.

1eyedking

Erudite
Overweight Manatee said:
Upgrading items that you sell to merchants is probably a bug anyway. Its the kind of thing you can see slipping through testing easily. In any case, just about every game has some way to break the trading system and get infinite wealth and/or super powered weapons.
And in start coming the excuses. Quaint.

Monocause said:
Only standard equipment gets 'upgraded'

[...]

All the non-standard stuff doesn't get upgraded. Ancient elven armor doesn't. Coarse cut gauntlets which I sold in the beginning of the game are still there, rough and for 50 silver. The 'scaling' doesn't have much effect on the gameplay since you'll want to have socketed non-standard weapons or the more rare armor that gives you most benefits.
It applies to all equipment that ends its name with the quality in parenthesis. I highly doubt that Juggernaut Armor is "standard", so this is a lie.

Monocause said:
I don't think it's based on your level, rather on story progression. The stores get restocked when you do one of the major deeds (ie. finish the Circle tower), I suppose that's when the 'upgrade' happens.
:roll:

It's almost the same thing. After solving one or two major quests it's obvious you'll have gained a couple of levels, so there's no difference.

Monocause said:
On the other hand - by the end of the game I bought Veshialle for 130 GP, a dragonbone axe which was available from the dwarf guy in the camp from the very moment I had access to the camp (just checked).
This is hardly a compliment. It's supposed to be that way. "Oh, we have a standard RPG feature in a RPG. Everyone rejoice!"

Monocause said:
You can get drakeskin and dragonbone armor from Wade much earlier than you'd start finding these. If you save money or take some risks, you can have equipment much more powerful than you're expected to have. So no, not Oblivion again.
This is only to spur DLC sales. Kids in the forums post how they got access to shiny armor earlier in Warden's Keep, crafted the best weapon in the game, had an inventory stash to drop all their level-scaled loot, and all the other children get excited and hyped and go out and buy said DLC.

So basically yes, it is Oblivion level-scaled shit all over again.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
No, we've dealt with most of the bitching points. Combat is shit, Writing is Shit, characters are shit, graphics are shit, quests are shit, the Grey Wardens are shit, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else that's shit, too.
I'll add a few screenshots and submit it as my review.

Lesifoere said:
I haven't read through all the pages, but tell me, did you people actually spend over 50 pages discussing DA's story and writing (and VD spending most of those pages defending said writing rabidly)?
Asking what's wrong with the writing and linking to dialogue screenshots is defending the writing rabidly?

Monocause

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Monocause said:
This is only to spur DLC sales. Kids in the forums post how they got access to shiny armor earlier in Warden's Keep, crafted the best weapon in the game, had an inventory stash to drop all their level-scaled loot, and all the other children get excited and hyped and go out and buy said DLC.

No. I mean armor from Wade, the armorer in Denerim. Not Warden's Keep. I don't have any DLCs.

It's almost the same thing. After solving one or two major quests it's obvious you'll have gained a couple of levels, so there's no difference.

There is a difference. Instead of using emotes try to think.

This is hardly a compliment. It's supposed to be that way. "Oh, we have a standard RPG feature in a RPG. Everyone rejoice!"

Jesus. First you compare DA to Oblivion. Then, when someone gives you the reasons why it doesn't compute - you take it as a non-related argument.

Let me rephrase it for you: it is not like Oblivion because in Oblivion you can't do the thing you can do with Veshialle and other stuff in DA. Happy?

It applies to all equipment that ends its name with the quality in parenthesis.

Bullshit. I told you about the Coarse Cut Gauntlets already. Yes, they end with "(rough)" and I'm at the end of the game with my lvl 21 character. Are you dense?

Silellak

Cipher
1eyedking said:
Silellak said:
Unless quest rewards have different "tiers" of power based on what level you are when you complete the quest, it's nothing like Oblivion.
There are Tier-based rewards depending on what level you are. And it not only happens with rewards, but with random loot as well (which by the way, is random).
Proof? I've yet to see major quest-based rewards adjust in level. Big things like Dragonbone plate, Drakeskin armor, Leliana's bow, meteor-metal sword, named rewards (ie, items that show up in the Codex), etc. all seem to have set stats no matter what level you are in when you acquire them.

1eyedking said:
The thing is, DA isn't challenging because encounter design is good; at the few times it is it's only because of spells that can't be resisted and/or are instantly casted, excess knockdown effects, enemies spawning behind you, because you aren't allowed Spot checks for Rogues nor Outdoorsman checks for random encounters, and because mobs scale to your level.

Appearances can be deceiving.
I've seen some really good encounter design in DA, and some fairly mediocre encounter design. Now let's compare that to the example you gave earlier - Fallout 2. What is better about Fallout 2's encounter design and combat? How is it more fun and challenging? I've always found combat to be one Fallout's biggest weaknesses.

1eyedking said:
A couple of new weapons and ammunition here and there isn't bad. Upgraded versions of older items is something else entirely.
As far as I can tell, all that's upgraded is the "base metal" of a basic item, which upgrades the "tier". And I've never seen it happen with an item I've sold to a merchant, but then I really haven't paid attention, either. I'll have to try the sell-to-merchant-to-upgrade-an-item trick and see if there's anything to it. Pretty much all of the high-priced magic items sold at vendors through the game haven't changed at all in statistics or price, though.

This contends with Volourn's level of stupidity.

And the funny thing is that I stopped playing a good, long while ago. I grew bored of everything quite quickly, and once I found out how weak the C&C department was (which would have been the only saving grace for the game), there was no much point in playing any further.
Once again resorting to insults, but I guess I shouldn't expect anything better on the Codex. I'd rather have Volourn-levels of stupidity than whatever breed of stupidity it takes to waste my time posting misinformation about a game I don't even like.

What sort of misinformation? How about "LOOK AT THIS ONE SUIT OF ARMOR. ALL DRAGON AGE ART DIRECTION SUCKS." for starters? How about all the gorgeous interiors that, when viewed from an isometric perspective, actually look pretty-damn-close to a 3D Infinity Engine? But no, you're right, one piece of DLC armor that looks stupid clearly means all art direction in DA sucks.

1eyedking said:

Fun fact: Dragon and drakescale armor have nothing to do with DLC. Please do a tiny bit of research before posting your bullshit, eh?

The armor you get from the DLC is decent at early level but becomes fairly 'meh' at high-level. Though, I guess I can try selling it back to see if the merchant will upgrade it for me! Would be an interesting experiment, might try later today and report back.

Vault Dweller said:
Lesifoere said:
I haven't read through all the pages, but tell me, did you people actually spend over 50 pages discussing DA's story and writing (and VD spending most of those pages defending said writing rabidly)?
Asking what's wrong with the writing and linking to dialogue screenshots is defending the writing rabidly?
Defending anything on the Codex will get you accused of being a "fanboy" who "rabidly defends" said game/company/whatever.

That is the New Shit.

Funny how no one here gets accused of rabidly attacking something, even when they go so far as to make shit up, post screenshots, and even create animated gifs to "prove" their attacks.

Vault Dweller said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
No, we've dealt with most of the bitching points. Combat is shit, Writing is Shit, characters are shit, graphics are shit, quests are shit, the Grey Wardens are shit, and I'm sure I'm forgetting something else that's shit, too.
I'll add a few screenshots and submit it as my review.

I expect to be given second billing.

Silellak said:
Vault Dweller said:
Lesifoere said:
Defending anything on the Codex will get you accused of being a "fanboy" who "rabidly defends" said game/company/whatever.

That is the New Shit.

Funny how no one here gets accused of rabidly attacking something, even when they go so far as to make shit up, post screenshots, and even create animated gifs to "prove" their attacks.

No, this is encouraged. We have to keep our good image. Nvm developers just got tired and left, they obviously couldn't take the heat and our powerful arguments like "shit" "sucks" and ":facepalm:"

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Lesifoere said:

Given your bleating "you children, what's wrong with the Joining?" across several threads or something along that line, sure. Plus your "Oh? So what do you have to say about it other than that it's average?" You posted screenshots of dialogue lines that aren't particularly remarkable either way; what do you expect 1eyedking to do, subject it to two pages of literary criticism? It doesn't deserve more than a passing "it's average/mediocre/nothing special" comment.

Silellak said:

Absolutely, it's not like people make fun of Skyway or anything--oh wait. Honestly, I don't even think DA is a horrid stinking piece of excrement, but all the blathering about how its writing is really quite fine, its characters really are quite complex (re: Duncan) and so on is ridiculous.

1eyedking

Erudite
Clockwork Knight said:
1eyedking said:
I highly doubt that Juggernaut Armor is "standard", so this is a lie.

This is the key to understanding 1eyedking
This is the key to knowing when someone doesn't understand sarcasm.

Monocause said:
No. I mean armor from Wade, the armorer in Denerim. Not Warden's Keep. I don't have any DLCs.
Shit, I misread.

Monocause said:
There is a difference. Instead of using emotes try to think.
Pray tell what is such difference?

Monocause said:
Let me rephrase it for you: it is not like Oblivion because in Oblivion you can't do the thing you can do with Veshialle and other stuff in DA. Happy?
You're right about Veshialle, but it's worse than Oblivion in respect that at least in Oblivion you were stuck with an item of a given quality all the game and in DA you can level-scale it yourself. They're both bad.

I don't even know why I'm discussing stupid, bland design such as level-scaled items.

Bullshit. I told you about the Coarse Cut Gauntlets already. Yes, they end with "(rough)" and I'm at the end of the game with my lvl 21 character. Are you dense?
I've tested every item I had in my inventory ending with its quality in parenthesis and after saving and reloading or exiting and entering said seller's town again the quality got upgraded.

Maybe you are forgetting those last steps?

Lesifoere said:
Given your bleating "you children, what's wrong with the Joining?" across several threads or something along that line, sure. Plus your "Oh? So what do you have to say about it other than that it's average?" You posted screenshots of dialogue lines that aren't particularly remarkable either way; what do you expect 1eyedking to do, subject it to two pages of literary criticism? It doesn't deserve more than a passing "it's average/mediocre/nothing special" comment.
[...]
Absolutely, it's not like people make fun of Skyway or anything--oh wait. Honestly, I don't even think DA is a horrid stinking piece of excrement, but all the blathering about how its writing is really quite fine, its characters really are quite complex (re: Duncan) and so on is ridiculous.

That's beside the point. No one would complain about sound complaints. It's just that theses complaints are usually "shit", "generic", or something made up.

1ek said:
This is the key to knowing when someone doesn't understand sarcasm.

:roll:

1eyedking

Erudite
Silellak said:
Proof? I've yet to see major quest-based rewards adjust in level. Big things like Dragonbone plate, Drakeskin armor, Leliana's bow, meteor-metal sword, named rewards (ie, items that show up in the Codex), etc. all seem to have set stats no matter what level you are in when you acquire them.
Only for items whose quality name ends in parenthesis. The others are hand-tailored, or so it seems.

Silellak said:
I've seen some really good encounter design in DA, and some fairly mediocre encounter design. Now let's compare that to the example you gave earlier - Fallout 2. What is better about Fallout 2's encounter design and combat? How is it more fun and challenging? I've always found combat to be one Fallout's biggest weaknesses.
Combat is Fallout 2's biggest weakness because the game is not a dungeon crawler. But it still makes for a rewarding experience to gather some Combat Armor and a couple of Pancor Jackhammers and beat the shit out of Metzger and his slavers. This is the key to making (supposedly) non-linear RPGs entertaining in that you're the one regulating encounter difficulty.

This is not the case, in my opinion, with Dragon Age. What are your examples of "really good encounters" in DA?

Silellak said:
What sort of misinformation? How about "LOOK AT THIS ONE SUIT OF ARMOR. ALL DRAGON AGE ART DIRECTION SUCKS." for starters? How about all the gorgeous interiors that, when viewed from an isometric perspective, actually look pretty-damn-close to a 3D Infinity Engine? But no, you're right, one piece of DLC armor that looks stupid clearly means all art direction in DA sucks.
I'm sorry but putting pretty stuff on walls and tables doesn't get extra points in my book of art direction. Making a solid, creative dungeon such as Icewind Dale's Ice Museum, Dorn's Deep, and Severed Hand, complete with barracks, dormitories, temples, studies, libraries and training grounds instead of endless corridors of debris is something worth of compliment.

The only exception to this would have been the Warden's Keep. But as for mostly everything else? Well you have boring ultra-wide super silvery shiny swords, gigantic shoulderpads, gigantic gauntlets, generic Peter Jackson Rohan architecture, generic Peter Jackson angular dwarven design, and I won't comment on some mindless, radnom architectural mishmash in both dungeons and towns.

Not all that glitters is gold. Oblivion is pretty (objectionable), but does it carry artistic value?

Silellak said:
Fun fact: Dragon and drakescale armor have nothing to do with DLC. Please do a tiny bit of research before posting your bullshit, eh?

The armor you get from the DLC is decent at early level but becomes fairly 'meh' at high-level. Though, I guess I can try selling it back to see if the merchant will upgrade it for me! Would be an interesting experiment, might try later today and report back.
I misread. See my post above.

As for Blood Armor, it's made of Silverite but it doesn't appear on its name's end, so it can't be upgraded. BUMMER, no?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom