Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

WanderingThrough2 said:
Volourn said:
Even Shakespeare or pick top x writer here writes something shitty even in thier best works
Shakespeare said:
Exit, pursued by a bear

Lol, nice pick. Although it isn't dialogue, so no-one actually says it on stage. Thing is, when I was in Winter's Tale, that part was done via swirling storm effects and a mixing of a roar sound with orchestral (basically done so that the sound is magnified in one corner, then the next, to give the sense of a sound swirling around the audience). A really fucking obvious example of 'let's try to cover up some bad writing with lots of staging'...but it got us thinking: how the FUCK did he envisage that part being performed at the time? A guy in a bear suit?

Black Cat

Magister
@ Clockwork Knight

Evangelion must be, like, the most pretentious, pseudointellectual, faux elitist anime ever written, so i guess it actually would be pretty much in character for the Codex to idolize it, nya.

Azrael the cat said:
but it got us thinking: how the FUCK did he envisage that part being performed at the time? A guy in a bear suit?

wikipedia says

The play contains the most famous Shakespearean stage direction: Exit, pursued by a bear, describing the death of Antigonus. It is not known whether Shakespeare used a real bear from the London bear-pits, or an actor in bear costume. The Royal Shakespeare Company, in one production of this play, used a large sheet of silk which moved and created shapes, to symbolise both the bear and the gale in which Antigonus is travelling.

Black Cat said:
Evangelion must be, like, the most pretentious, pseudointellectual, faux elitist anime ever written, so i guess it actually would be pretty much in character for the Codex to idolize it, nya.

At least, it's interesting to see the effects of Anno's depression and recovery, and how it affects the story.

the actual story is banalshitboring, however.

Grifthin

Educated
I enjoyed evangelion mind you. Monster was pretty good. And death note had the most epic chip eating scene ever. Code Geass was some good mind fuckery.

and then there's Tengen toppa gurren lagann. What the fuck where the creaters of Tengen toppa gurren lagann smoking ?

Are you a fan of "The adventures of Doctor Mc Ninja" Clockwork Knight ?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I found it pleasing to be given the chance to give Alistair a verbal smackdown when initiating personal conversations. If only that were more prevalent throughout the entire game, especially right after the Landsmeet.

Black Cat said:

How could you say that, it changed Korgan's life you know. Forever.

Grifthin said:
I enjoyed evangelion mind you. Monster was pretty good. And death note had the most epic chip eating scene ever. Code Geass was some good mind fuckery.

and then there's Tengen toppa gurren lagann. What the fuck where the creaters of Tengen toppa gurren lagann smoking ?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength. Wisdom is the beginning of fear.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Emotional Vampire said:
Grifthin said:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength. Wisdom is the beginning of fear.
Blessed is the mind too small for doubt.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Clockwork Knight

I don't know a lot about Code Gueass other than the Fabulous meme thingie and that the Clamp girls made the character designs, but Gurren Lagann is the usual Gainax stuffy stuff. That means it's pretentious, pseudointellectual, faux elitist, and retarded. Even worse it's also shounen, and shounen of the worst kind at that. Worse still, people insists in that it is deep and thoughtful while even the big robots run on hot blood and defiant manhood or something... And i mean, like, literally.

Grifthin

Educated
@ Clockwork Knight - you used a picture of judy when you posted now. Judy the gorilla.

Tenge toppa is so bad it's good. It so over the top that after a while you can't help but smile at the totally insane BS they pull. It's best kind of cheesyness. It doesnt' take itself seriously and doesn't expect you to take it seriously.

Code Geass was unfortunate that it came out at the same time as death note to a lot of the community, sharply deviding opinions. I like Mech, so I like Code Geass more in some ways. On the other hand Death note was great fun. (up untill creepy candy muncher died.)

If you like anime try Tenge Toppa - it's refreshing in such a cynical world, and amazingly narmy.

@ Vaarna_Aarne - A open mind is like a fortress with it's gates unbarred and unguarded.

Project: Eternity
Back on topic, I'd like to add that DA is the game where I enjoyed using the Fireball spell the most. It's nicely BOOM-y and the knockdown + lingering fire effects are cool. The fast casting time makes it an excellent combat starter too, and from time to time it was funny as a semi-suicide bomb directed at a cluster of enemies in melee with the party tanks. :D

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Freelance Henchman said:
Back on topic, I'd like to add that DA is the game where I enjoyed using the Fireball spell the most. It's nicely BOOM-y and the knockdown + lingering fire effects are cool. The fast casting time makes it an excellent combat starter too, and from time to time it was funny as a semi-suicide bomb directed at a cluster of enemies in melee with the party tanks. :D

Have you thought about becoming a Muslim?

1eyedking said:
Well, I expected this kind of shitstorm when I wrote said suggestions. And of course every single two-digit IQ Codex member jumped at the opportunity if only because it's ultra-cool to take things out of context, put words into the other person's mouth, and generally bash at everything (even at Shakespeare) so as to look as smug as possible, even when the examples I put were a half-assed effort.

Meh. Enjoy your Lovecraftian writing in DA:O, I guess. I'm sure it's of verified good quality, not at all inspired by sitcoms and soap operas, particularly when Gaider himself never said his characters are inspired on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly, and "serviceable". Amazing how people went from "the dialogue is good!" to "it serves it's purpose".

Now it's my time to be smug.
:smug:

I challenge you to find one post of mine where I said DA's writing was good. I just said it wasn't bad. Your writing, however, was bad. And I don't buy that shit that it was a half-assed effort for you, either. I'm sure you went into all of your half finished Wheel of Time fanfiction and picked out the most badass lines your lead character said on his way to save the world and decided to test the waters a bit.

But hey, I'll allow you the chance to redeem yourself, as the offer is still on the table for you to impress us with your writing. I await bells tolling.

Project: Eternity
Haba said:
Freelance Henchman said:

Have you thought about becoming a Muslim?

I don't technically need a *reason* to blow people up. And I'm way too lazy for the 5 times a day praying thing anyway.

Grifthin

Educated
Spells I enjoyed:

Fireball and inferno - I fucking love setting things on fire.
The Telekinetic and cold/fire weapon spells.
Earth quake and petrify.
Blizzard
Storm of the century combo.

I'm playing mage now for my second play through and went full primal. I'll play through again to unlock blood magic and try out spirit/hexes.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Emotional Vampire

He? Was that an honest mistake or are you just trying to make me feel akward?

That aside i'm going to disapoint you: I dislike all Shounen, the pretentious varieties of Seinen, all forms of fanservice, and the kind of gratitous violence so prevalent in some subgenres but otherwise my tastes are not that unique. My favorite anime ever is Shoujo Kakumei Utena, i like some of the old Clamp stuff, and the last anime i saw and went all fangirl over was Vampire Knight +Guilty... To the point i, like, read the entire manga up to the current point in a single day after watching the series. *Hangs head in abject shame*

Most of Miyazaki's stuff, too, and some random weird and experimental stuff. And most things in that weird subgenre of anime with very dreamlike visuals, hidden depth, and fairy tale like stories. I also, like, liked Earl and Fairy a whole lot, and i have so little pride left after noticing i did as to openly accept it on the internet, sob sob.

It's such a shame. It was actually nice to be, like, half an hour without you despising me and everything i ever say.

[Unedited since i failed at reading comprehension]

Grifthin said:
@ Clockwork Knight - you used a picture of judy when you posted now. Judy the gorilla.

That's Rikki :)

sahasonatinaanecdote16.jpg

Black Cat said:

AHA! I thought you were a woman, but wasn't quite sure. That's why you don't like Rance very much, or sexualized catgirls.

Tbh, Rance's the kind of guy I thought women would like. He's awesome, kills the weak faggots, and makes the ladies cum like crazy with his hyper weapon. If I wasn't gay GAR for Solid Snake already, I'd probably be for him

Black Cat said:

rance.jpg
Just making you spout out your tastes so that I can publicly point out what kind of a hypocritical little faggot you are, since what you like is no better than what you're criticizing.

rancenakedlaughter.jpg
And since all titles you pointed out as your favourite are of the shoujo variety(i.e. for 9-year-old girls), everything went better than expected!

ranceawesome.jpg
Why, I even got to learn that you don't watch other genres not because they're retarded, but for even more sissy reason - because you can't stand the blood and you find the fanservice demeaning towards women.

Therefore this post has been brought to you by Sengoku Rance, because it's so demeaning towards women it will make you squirt blood from your eyes.

[Edit] On a second thought, have some blood as well.

iraqiWoundHeadShot.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom