Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Hamster said:
I'm leaving Orzammar and going to Deep Roads. Promised side quests were nowhere to be seen. Seems like Grifthin is either lying or a complete retard.
Find the stolen book? Help the chantry dwarf? Help mother find her son? Nug wrangler? Help find thaig documents? Smuggle lyrium? Granted some of these require going elsewhere. Not sure if anyone meant within the city entirely or allowed to go elsewhere type sidequests. Also I am probably forgeting some.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
Clockwork Knight said:
So...you don't find the quests and he's the retard?
Yes. For thinking that finding a book and catching nugs consitutes an interesting side quests.

tbh he just said that there were lots of sidequests, not that they were interesting

Grifthin said:
Hamster said:
Dwarf city is boring. Generic, bland, no sense of a big city, no sidequests, no interesting characters and, once again, arena fights without autosaves. Meh.

Are you Absolutely fucking retarded ? I just finsihed ozammar (after like 8 hours) - there's atleast 2 dozen quests there to do besides the main quest. There's also a whole lot of optional quests - trying to get the City key, releasing a dragon from it's stone prison, Ruck the completely fucking insane cannibal dwarf dude, Releasing a daemon to fight/free it, reforging a sword, recovering Armor.

Fucking retarded liar.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
DreadMessiah said:
Hamster said:
I'm leaving Orzammar and going to Deep Roads. Promised side quests were nowhere to be seen. Seems like Grifthin is either lying or a complete retard.
Find the stolen book? Help the chantry dwarf? Help mother find her son? Nug wrangler? Help find thaig documents? Smuggle lyrium? Granted some of these require going elsewhere. Not sure if anyone meant within the city entirely or allowed to go elsewhere type sidequests. Also I am probably forgeting some.
If you will remember some that are not banal fed-exes that will be quite handy. Where are good side-quests that should be found in a big city?

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Clockwork Knight said:
tbh he just said that there were lots of sidequests, not that they were interesting

Grifthin said:
Hamster said:
Dwarf city is boring. Generic, bland, no sense of a big city, no sidequests, no interesting characters and, once again, arena fights without autosaves. Meh.

Are you Absolutely fucking retarded ? I just finsihed ozammar (after like 8 hours) - there's atleast 2 dozen quests there to do besides the main quest. There's also a whole lot of optional quests - trying to get the City key, releasing a dragon from it's stone prison, Ruck the completely fucking insane cannibal dwarf dude, Releasing a daemon to fight/free it, reforging a sword, recovering Armor.

Fucking retarded liar.

Well, i may have forgotten to write "interesting" before "quests", but is that so hard to figure out? And even if it is, maybe it is a good idea to clarify this moment before going into a fanboy rage?

Grifthin

Educated
Well almost every rpgs side quest ever made boils down to go here, do X, go to Y. Profit. That aside, interesting quests in orzammar and deep roads, just from what stand out:

Finding Ruck for his mother - sorta creepy yet funny and pitiful at same time.
Unlocking the stone dragon from the Throne Room.
Topsiders honor.
Legion of the dead.
The dwarf that want's the learn magic (impossible, also has interesting ramifications later)
Asunder.

EDIT: Here's a complete list of side quests in orzammar and deeproads, deep trenches..

A Lost Nug | A Mother's Hope | An Unlikely Scholar | Asunder | Caged in Stone | Casteless Ambush | The Chant in the Deeps | The Dead Caste
The Drifter's Cache | Exotic Methods | The Gangue Shade | The Golem Registry | Jammer's Stash | The Key to the City | Lost to the Memories
Of Noble Birth | Political Attacks | Precious Metals | Proving After Dark | The Shaper's Life | Stalata Negat | Thief in the House of Learning
Topsider's Honor | Unintended Breakthrough | Zerlinda's Woe

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"It's in the throne room in orzammar. You have to stand one of your characters on pressure plate in the throne room, then another 2 of your characters on 2 more pressure plates near a wall. Then you have to interact with the throne. If you do it realeases a male dragon (the smaller variety, not the high dragon) that you can fight for a nice 2 handed weapon called ummmm "Ageless" I think."

Wow. That's sneaky.

Anyone who claims there's no side quests in Orzammar is a scumbag liar. Now, whether or not you think those those side quests are interesting is opinion.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, finally caved in and tried DA:O out.

I have very mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I kind of appreciate the effort from Bioware - they've truly tried their best in making a "proper" cRPG. Maybe I should buy a copy to support that direction.

On the other hand, they've done so many things wrong.

Playing DA:O has been like reading a mediocre book. I haven't really enjoyed it, more chugging along due to my completionist tendencies. I've just grown all too detached from it all.

The party members are annoying, so I don't really care about them, nor am I interested in learning more about their past. The plot is predictable, so there is nothing to drive me forward (and no sense of urgency, since apparently the bad guys want to give me plenty of time to save the world). And the combat... oh well. I've had my guys die quite a few times -- but it is always due to the AI (hey, lets run to that flaming barricade that is supposed to keep the undead at bay!).

And what is the thing with blood? Is JarlFrank working at Bio nowadays? I mean, the splatters are ridiculous by themselves, but there is blood in every misc. effect as well. DA:O is probably the first game ever where I seriously consider turning gore effects off. But even that wouldn't remove the retarded blood splatters from text overlays.

So there. Uninspired, dull and repetive, thats my DA:O experience so far. On the other hand, it is the last of its kind (if you dont count indies). Should I buy it in the hope that this will lead into more tolerable sequels/more cRPG's? Or would this just further the mediocrity of Bioware?

Real life C&C, bitches.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You should buy it as currently your opinion is nothing but bullshit from a butt pirate who likes to steal things. Scumbag.

1eyedking

Erudite
Well, I expected this kind of shitstorm when I wrote said suggestions. And of course every single two-digit IQ Codex member jumped at the opportunity if only because it's ultra-cool to take things out of context, put words into the other person's mouth, and generally bash at everything (even at Shakespeare) so as to look as smug as possible, even when the examples I put were a half-assed effort.

Meh. Enjoy your Lovecraftian writing in DA:O, I guess. I'm sure it's of verified good quality, not at all inspired by sitcoms and soap operas, particularly when Gaider himself never said his characters are inspired on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Firefly, and "serviceable". Amazing how people went from "the dialogue is good!" to "it serves it's purpose".

Now it's my time to be smug.
:smug:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've just completed it, so I can share my opinion with you.

Bioware have tried to make a game that appeals to their old fans and new oblivion-generation players. I'd say they achieved the middleground. OK, as one of the fans of their old (but not new) cRPGs I'd try to say whay I liked or not.

First of all: story. Horrible, stupid, predictable. Forces of ugly-looking evil forces (can't be more boring, retarded and cliche than that I guess) are attacking and you are chosen one to destroy them.

Dialogues. I have mixed feelings about them, they vary from bad to good. Overall the dialogues are mediocre with some bad or good exceptions.

Characters. While NPCs outside party are not interesting (and you can tell by look if they are going to be your "evil" enemies [ugly ones, ie. Loghain] or your allies, which is also stupid), the party members vary and can be interesting. Some of them I disliked because they were pissing me off (Allistar!), others I liked (Sten!). Every one of party members has his/her own story which is more than just "I raised here and worked as that". I'd say Bioware is on the good way but still has a long way.

Choices and Consequences. There are some but not much. Probably less than in The Witcher or about the same quantity. There are better writen than in other Bioware games - no good and evil shit anymore. I guess they have learned from CD Projekt's The Witcher that people don't always like to be retards... I mean heroes saving kitties from the tree and breaking their own arms falling on the way.

Atmosphere was very high-fantasy. Bioware said this will be dark but it is not and it is far from it. Compared to this The Witcher is very dark. I don't want even want to think how dark is Troika's Bloodlines when compared to this... a black hole?

Now some less important things.

Fighting in this game is okay, though it suffers from lack of (at least optional) turn-based combat. There is too many fighting, unfortunately. Especially in late parts of game when all you do is fighting for around 5 hours. But even before that there is just too much combat. And the blood looks hilarious, so I turned it off.

Voices are good, nothing outstanding but they are still good. I think I'll remember voice of Sten, Zevran, Leliana and Morrigan for some time.

Music is mediocre with nice main theme. I won't listen soundtrack, nor I was pleased in the game but it didn't bother me and I did not turn it off. And there is still nice song in the main manu and at the end of the game.

TPP camera is pretty useless, except running around, in combat only izometric view is useful (and really nice, I never got annoyed by the camera). The game is also very polished. I had one crash to desktop, one graphic issue which not allowed me to play but that's all for the whole game. Cool as for modern game. The loot system sucks, you kill someone with two-handed sword and in full armor and when you search him he has... nothing. MMO-like menus aren't good too.

Graphic is good. Sceneries are nice, they remind me of Temple of Elemental Evil sceneries. Characters look good as well. From technical side of graphic I'd say it is good too - looks like a modern game (well, I never care about techinal side of graphic really, just the art direction is important to me). Too bad it's 'just another fantasy'.

Well, I'd say it is the best Bioware game after Baldur's Gate series. It is good in general but suffers from many flaws and retarded story. It was enjoyable playing this except the parts with too much combat. If Bioware will continue making games like this but improve them I may like that company again :)

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Oh, he was. He chastised Codex for lack of moderation, I think, or something like that. Bioware fanboy splurging all over, too.

Grifthin

Educated
You know Emotional Vampire - that's actually sort of creepy. basic dox. *looks out windows for emo vamp*

I take it anime is another codex no-no ?

Nah, we like animes, we pretty much idolize Evangelion. People even ask me to post some pics from time to time. All safe for work, at it :)

tokimekimonzetsu021.jpg

sahamonzetsuexplosion15.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom