Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age impressions

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
VentilatorOfDoom said:
kris said:
Any warden comment on it at the epilogue. well at least Loghain did and he said that the Orlesian wardens was asking questions about me not dying.
hmmm, maybe I should have talked to Alistair once more. I only talked to him during the beginning cutscene of the epilogue and he didn't bring up the topic then.

Also I predict that the bhaalspawn dragonspawn of Morrigan will be the hero of DA2.
Precisely why it would be best for Bioware to hand it over to Avellone to cook some amazing shit from it. Just like with KotOR2. And the RAEG from the Biowhores would be epic, gritty and mature beyond anything that the marketing could conceive.

kris

Arcane
Lesifoere said:
I have, and to this day don't know what the fuck triggered Leliana's camp song scene. I especially liked how some of the tougher NPCs turn their faces away to hide a single tear of manly sorrow.

Dear Bioware: this is why you don't rip off Peter Jackson. It is much worse when polygons do it.

Actually the other characters reactions looked well done. It was just the out of context, out of the world/everything about it and not to forget Leliana's super funny mouth movements that was way out there.

Note2: dont put a studio record song with instruments as someone singing it out in the wilderness.

Note3: don't show facial animation when you try to be serious, but they are instead hilarious.

Note4: It is a kind of masterpiece really. Like "Mega-Shark versus Giant octopus".

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Gosling said:
Baronjohn is just mocking the local Dragon Age worshippers who believe that Bioware wrote a "masterpiece". (at least I hope so)
This is page 208473 of the DA thread - stop being so dumb/serious.

Contrary to the popular cliche, hope does not in fact spring eternal. baronjohn is certifiably stupid.

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Precisely why it would be best for Bioware to hand it over to Avellone to cook some amazing shit from it. Just like with KotOR2. And the RAEG from the Biowhores would be epic, gritty and mature beyond anything that the marketing could conceive.

?

I thought people liked kotor2

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I thought Bioware fans didn't like KotOR 2 and thought it'd have been better for Bioware to do it instead of Obsidian? Bioware handing their own totally and unmistakably original IP to Obsidian might trigger a lot of rage."

Not this one. Both KOTORs are equal. Both are solid but vastly overrated games. KOTOR's writing is REALLY overrrated. I mean when soemthing stupid like 'OMGZ! The force is evil, and must be detsoryed!" is considered deep, the whole definition of deep is completely and irrevocalbly ruined.

"Precisely why it would be best for Bioware to hand it over to Avellone to cook some amazing shit from it. Just like with KotOR2."

No, or at would just be average shit instead of awesome shit. NOW, if he did as awesome as he did with FO2, then we'd be to something.

baronjohn

Cipher
Lesifoere said:
Contrary to the popular cliche, hope does not in fact spring eternal. baronjohn is certifiably stupid.
Popular cliche, eh? As opposed to unpopular cliches? I guess English isn't your first language.

dextermorgan

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Popular cliche, eh? As opposed to unpopular cliches? I guess English isn't your first language.

Dude,

Your literary idol said:
He could taste the familiar tang of museum air - an arid, deionized essence that carried a faint hint of carbon - the product of industrial, coal-filter dehumidifiers that ran around the clock to counteract the corrosive carbon dioxide exhaled by visitors.

Shut up already.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
He's just butthurt people didn't rally to his defense of Neko-chan. That or butthurt that Neko-chan didn't immediately PM him with her nudes. Better treat him gently, broken heart and all.

baronjohn

Cipher
Lesifoere said:
He's just butthurt people didn't rally to his defense of Neko-chan. That or butthurt that Neko-chan didn't immediately PM him with her nudes. Better treat him gently, broken heart and all.
epic fail

Balthamael

Liturgist
I just finished the Warden's Keep DLC, and all I can say is wtf is this shit. There wasn't remotely enough content to justify asking fourth of a full game price, or any price at all really. It took me less than half an hour to finish. If I had actually paid for it I would be really pissed off now, In fact I am anyway just on the principle that some people paid for it.

People actually buy this stuff? Seriously?

Grifthin

Educated
Balthamael said:
I just finished the Warden's Keep DLC, and all I can say is wtf is this shit. There wasn't remotely enough content to justify asking fourth of a full game price, or any price at all really. It took me less than half an hour to finish. If I had actually paid for it I would be really pissed off now, In fact I am anyway just on the principle that some people paid for it.

People actually buy this stuff? Seriously?

Storage Chest.
Awesome Weapons and other Equipment.
Small Dungeon.
Background story.
You get to use the content every time you play through so half a hour per origin makes about 3.5 hours of playtime. Not to shabby at all.

Seems reasonable to me. And besides if you pirated it you can just shut the fuck up anyway you piece of criminal crap.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Balthamael said:
It took me less than half an hour to finish.
How long does it take you to eat a few slices of pizza?

"It's only $5-10, a pittance!"

"It costs less/as much as a movie ticket and a movie only lasts 1-2 hours! A DLC is in comparison excellent value!"

"How much do you pay for [insert food item]?"

Have I covered them all yet? Because comparing completely different commodities certainly makes metric tons of sense. Tell you what, it can take you a while to finish Perdido Street Station since it's a novel that spans 640 pages. By that token, does that mean the novel should cost as much as DA or even more (you even get better writing)? And if a DLC that lasts half an hour costs $5-10 to purchase, should the game--assuming 25 hours of gameplay--cost you $250 or $500?

Grifthin said:
Storage Chest.
Small Dungeon.
Background story.

You can get a storage chest for free. Awesome weapons and other equipment? Your average pimple-faced modder can pack twenty different sets of over-powered armor and weapons into one module too and the armor will probably look much less atrocious (lel visor). Background story? If you think the game's story is worth a single fuck-damn, then sure, but you're not left with very much. I've no idea if you bought this garbage, but if you did, then the length to which you'd go to to convince yourself that you didn't get scammed is immense.

You get to use the content every time you play through so half a hour per origin makes about 3.5 hours of playtime. Not to shabby at all.

That's assuming anyone wants to replay the game that many times. God, what a depressing thought.

Seems reasonable to me. And besides if you pirated it you can just shut the fuck up anyway you piece of criminal crap.

Even if he pirated it, it doesn't make people who actually shelled out money for this shit any less stupid. Laughing as idiots is an equal-opportunity pastime, you know.

Silellak

Cipher
Lesifoere said:
Vault Dweller said:
Balthamael said:

"It's only $5-10, a pittance!"

"It costs less/as much as a movie ticket and a movie only lasts 1-2 hours! A DLC is in comparison excellent value!"

"How much do you pay for [insert food item]?"

Have I covered them all yet? Because comparing completely different commodities certainly makes metric tons of sense. Tell you what, it can take you a while to finish Perdido Street Station since it's a novel that spans 640 pages. By that token, does that mean the novel should cost as much as DA or even more (you even get better writing)? And if a DLC that lasts half an hour costs $5-10 to purchase, should the game--assuming 25 hours of gameplay--cost you $250 or $500?

Grifthin said:
Storage Chest.
Small Dungeon.
Background story.

You can get a storage chest for free. Awesome weapons and other equipment? Your average pimple-faced modder can pack twenty different sets of over-powered armor and weapons into one module too and the armor will probably look much less atrocious (lel visor). Background story? If you think the game's story is worth a single fuck-damn, then sure, but you're not left with very much.

That's assuming anyone wants to replay the game that many times. God, what a depressing thought.

Even if he pirated it, it doesn't make people who actually shelled out money for this shit any less stupid. Laughing as idiots is an equal-opportunity pastime, you know.
It's not actually a half hour of game time unless you press ESC through all dialog, which makes me wonder why you're playing an RPG in the first place.

If you don't care about the story or the game world, you're probably not going to pay $5 for it. If you do care about them, 5 bucks isn't all that much to have that story and world fleshed out, and to have more of that world to explore.

Just because people have different concepts of value than you does not make them "stupid" or "idiots", you arrogant little shit. 5 bucks for me is maybe 10 minutes at work. Do I consider 1-2 hours of additional entertainment in the Dragon Age universe to be worth 10 minutes of work time? Yup. Do I understand why some other people consider $5 of release-day DLC that only lasts a couple of hours to be a rip-off? Yup. Wow, I understand and respect two different, and yet not necessarily conflicting, points of view HOLY FUCK THE CODEX MIGHT EXPLODE.

Norfleet

Silellak said:
Just because people have different concepts of value than you does not make them "stupid" or "idiots", you arrogant little shit. 5 bucks for me is maybe 10 minutes at work.
Which is all fine and good, assuming in this day and age with so many surplus people, that you still HAVE a job, but there's one point you're missing: However much you're earning, if you SPEND the money, you've defeated the point of earning the money in the first place, since now you have lost the very money you worked to earn. Purpose-defeating, much?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Silellak said:
It's not actually a half hour of game time unless you press ESC through all dialog, which makes me wonder why you're playing an RPG in the first place.

I often skip the dialogue because I read faster than the lines are spoken, and some of that voice-acting is terrible enough that it's best to hit ESC as fast as you can. Often it sounds like the voice-actor is thinking "I can't believe I'm spouting this pseudo-medieval, cheesy tripe. I mean, really? I got my theater degree for this?" and, in the spirit of no longer giving a shit, deadpans every single line then shrieks every now and again in lieu of acting. At least, that's how dead many of the joinable NPCs sound.

Just because people have different concepts of value than you does not make them "stupid" or "idiots", you arrogant little shit.

Somebody's angry.

Silellak

Cipher
Norfleet said:
Silellak said:
Just because people have different concepts of value than you does not make them "stupid" or "idiots", you arrogant little shit. 5 bucks for me is maybe 10 minutes at work.
Which is all fine and good, assuming in this day and age with so many surplus people, that you still HAVE a job, but there's one point you're missing: However much you're earning, if you SPEND the money, you've defeated the point of earning the money in the first place, since now you have lost the very money you worked to earn. Purpose-defeating, much?
Huh? So I should never spend money on anything, ever? Because if I spend it on something I've defeated the point of earning it? Money is so useful sitting in my bank account doing nothing, after all...

Lesifoere said:
Silellak said:

I often skip the dialogue because I read faster than the lines are spoken, and some of that voice-acting is terrible enough that it's best to hit ESC as fast as you can. Often it sounds like the voice-actor is thinking "I can't believe I'm spouting this pseudo-medieval, cheesy tripe. I mean, really? I got my theater degree for this?" and, in the spirit of no longer giving a shit, deadpans every single line then shrieks every now and again in lieu of acting. At least, that's how dead many of the joinable NPCs sound.

Just because people have different concepts of value than you does not make them "stupid" or "idiots", you arrogant little shit.

Somebody's angry.
Not angry, but since you felt the need to insult me, albeit indirectly, it seemed appropriate that I insult you back, especially considering you are, in fact, quite arrogant. The "little shit" part? Oh, that was just for flavor.

Also, I'm pretty sure the only bannable offense at the Codex is to go a week without insulting someone during a discussion.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Silellak said:
Not angry, but since you felt the need to insult me, albeit indirectly, it seemed appropriate that I insult you back, especially considering you are, in fact, quite arrogant. The "little shit" part? Oh, that was just for flavor.

So basically, you're angry?

Do you plan to buy all their DLCs until the total price of the game racks up to something like 150 bucks? 300? It's lovely that you enjoy being exploited, but don't be surprised if some people find that dumb.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
You can easily get the DLCs for free so all your shitty points are irrevelent. :smug:

piracy discussion now, let's try presenting moral arguments in a system that is immoral because based on profit which is immoral by definition and thus I steal shit and exploit africa and all is well god is dead

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:
Balthamael said:

A few slices of pizza are cheaper than the DLC and taste better. Overall, more worth for your money. Also they're nutritious while the DLC isn't.

I torrented all the DLC and treated it like it was just a part of the main game.

Silellak

Cipher
Lesifoere said:
Silellak said:

So basically, you're angry?

Do you plan to buy all their DLCs until the total price of the game racks up to something like 150 bucks? 300? It's lovely that you enjoy being exploited, but don't be surprised if some people find that dumb.
Yeah, I get pretty angry about what a random, arrogant stranger thinks about me on the internet :(

But to answer your question, Warden's Keep seemed worth it to me, especially since I could download and install it prior to my first playthrough (usually DLC comes after I've finished a game and just don't care much anymore), but so far the only other announced one really doesn't. I'll wait to see what people have to say, of course, but another hack-and-slash area where I get to loot the King's armor doesn't really thrill me. Supposedly you also learn more about Duncan, which could be interesting, but I'm not terribly fascinated by his character to begin with, so meh.

JarlFrank said:
Vault Dweller said:
Balthamael said:

A few slices of pizza are cheaper than the DLC and taste better
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa...where do you get a few slices of pizza for $5?!? I want in on this scam, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom