Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Plus Demonicon is actually kind of better than DA2, which says a lot about Bioware these days.
No.

Yes.
Hmm you've convinced me that you're unable to tell the difference between European shovelware and a North American game that was horribly managed with some stupid but also some worthwhile goals.

Come on, Roguey, abide by your own principles. Which one has more fun (even if less coherently designed) CORE GAMEPLAY? Which one has more interesting and less repetitive content?

Would you say Witcher 2 was better than Dragon Age 2? If not, then :hero:. But if you do agree with that statement, then Demonicon is probably better than DA2 for the same reasons.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Come on, Roguey, abide by your own principles. Which one has more fun (even if less coherently designed) CORE GAMEPLAY? Which one has more interesting and less repetitive content?
I looked at a video and Demonicon didn't look fun in the slightest. Looking and playing are two different things, but considering it's a melee action game, yeah, not happening.

Would you say Witcher 2 was better than Dragon Age 2? If not, then :hero:. But if you do agree with that statement, then Demonicon is probably better than DA2 for the same reasons.
Hh. Witcher 2 had better writing, graphics, art direction, pacing, exploration, and agency. Dragon Age 2 had a better progression/character customization system, combat (better does not mean good), and cinematic dialogues. I enjoyed them both about the same. I suppose it could be possible Demonicon has better pacing, exploration, and agency, but these don't matter that much considering them alone unless it's Fallout/Arcanum style exploration and agency which it is most certainly not.

Zeriel

Arcane
I'd say it's ridiculous to make such conclusive statements of a game without playing it in the first place, but then your actual opinions from actually playing it would probably be even worse, considering the things you do like, and the things you do dislike (i.e most games the Codex considers quality).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'd say it's ridiculous to make such conclusive statements of a game without playing it in the first place, but then your actual opinions from actually playing it would probably be even worse, considering the things you do like, and the things you do dislike (i.e most games the Codex considers quality).

When it comes to 3D melee action games I've enjoyed Devil May Cry 1 3 and 4, Onimusha 1-3, Shinobi, and Dungeon Siege III. These are all decent-good (DMC3 being great). Demonicon doesn't even look like it's on Witcher 2's level.

Zeriel

Arcane
I can actually respect hating a game like Demonicon for shitty combat, but if that is the criterion for judgement, DA2 is equally bad. I don't play games like Demonicon for the combat, in any case.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I can actually respect hating a game like Demonicon for shitty combat, but if that is the criterion for judgement, DA2 is equally bad.
Noooooooooooope. There are a few places where DA2 partially-succeeds at its goals.

I don't play games like Demonicon for the combat, in any case.
Not playing a game for its gameplay? Now where have I heard that-
Honestly, I think it's really sad that RPGs essentially get a pass on having fundamentally junk core gameplay. And yes, I do consider combat to be a core gameplay element of most RPGs. Even in Fallout, combat was one of the core elements.
That is the logical conclusion: give the players fun things to do for as long as they are fun. When an ordinarily enjoyable mechanic becomes an irritating rote exercise in endurance simply because the leveling system was designed with grinding in mind, that's pretty bad game design. It's intolerable in "non-RPGs" but somehow accepted in RPGs because RPG gamers have an amazing tolerance for terrible mechanics.
Oh right.

Zeriel

Arcane
You're completely missing the point. If you want to criticize Demonicon for its shit combat, why do you consider it a lesser game than DA2? DA2 has the same inferior, utterly pointless combat, but with the added burden of much worse encounter design. And yes, ultimately, if your combat is mediocre, but one game has something slightly interesting that happens after the combat, and the other doesn't, the one that does is the better game.

Ultimately people settle for shortcomings in games. Those that have the best combat/moment-to-moment gameplay tend to have massive shortcomings in other areas, or don't even have other areas.

Please respond with an actual argument next time instead of Sawyer quo--oh fuck what am I doing, that's never going to happen.

Delterius

Arcane
WIqEbsuuXIYpUvFSvBbkobQZ.jpg20131114-2-1pb1cev

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Pretty sad that you'd go forth with the effort to doctor up a fake tweet.

You're completely missing the point. If you want to criticize Demonicon for its shit combat, why do you consider it a lesser game than DA2? DA2 has the same inferior, utterly pointless combat,
No.

but with the added burden of much worse encounter design.
Does it? Not my impressions.

And yes, ultimately, if your combat is mediocre, but one game has something slightly interesting that happens after the combat, and the other doesn't, the one that does is the better game.
Demonicon didn't have any interesting non-combat elements from what I saw.

Delterius

Arcane
The world isn't against you Roguey, I for one don't really care about a grand debate that pits Demonicon and Dragon Age 2 on one another. Let's just laugh together at that milisecond of doubt you felt.

kris

Arcane
I have to admit that when looking at the whole of that gameplay video I feel that I might buy this one. I wasn't to impressed by the combat, but since they said that they will have top-down again it might be more to my liking.

It seems to be a far cry away from the horrible DA2, which I couldn't even get halfway through.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Camera modes don't really matter. I'm disappointed they've decided to go with two fiddly mediocre modes again instead of building their geometry and models for one. We could have had decently sized two-handed swords.

kris

Arcane
DA2 had top-down combat.

In that case i either repressed it or felt it insignificiant compared to DA1

It is horrible compared to DA1. Just sayin' top-down won't be enough to save this.

Yeah. But looking at the video this seems to be better made in most ways. I did like DA1 well enough and have hope that this will be good enough for me to also like. That is comparison with DA2, which I could tell before that it was out that there would be problems. Which is why I never bought that one and wisely enough "demoed" it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I liked DA1 very much. I just don't have high hopes for this one.

What's the Roguey predetermined conclusion on this one btw? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom