Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

kris

Arcane

30minutes of leaked gameplay in better quality than last ones. if you can withstand more bioware than last 7 minutes are kind of interesting and focused on your in-game stronghold.

anyway pillars of eternity or DA:I? which is better housekeeping simulator and why?:M

Okay, why is the rain falling down like a badly made movie rainfall? It really disturbed me.

Wow, animation department has really been working. Those are some of the finest animations I've seen in CRPGs as of late.

It is also interesting to note that Bioware games have increasingly more sexualised male figures. Whole DA series + SW:TOR have some of the most sexualised or feminine male figures and general visuals in any game. Skyrim, in comparison, is visually fairly masculine in comparison, for instance.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, the animations are good. Which makes the stylized aesthethics look all the worse. Especially the armor that seems very plastic-like in it's material. The oversized swords as well of course.

On the subject of male sexualization: It is to be expected, as Bioware has moved towards a more sexually liberal stance for years now it can not but show up in those facets of design.

About women in medieval period, I strongly suggest this book:

Women brewed and sold most of the ale drunk in medieval England, but after 1350, men slowly took over the trade. By 1600, most brewers in London--as well as in many towns and villages--were male, not female. Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England investigates this transition, asking how, when, and why brewing ceased to be a women's trade and became a trade of men.
Drawing on a wide variety of sources--such as literary and artistic materials, court records, accounts, and administrative orders--Judith Bennett vividly describes how brewsters (that is, female brewers) slowly left the trade. She tells a story of commercial growth, gild formation, changing technologies, innovative regulations, and finally, enduring ideas that linked brewsters with drunkenness and disorder.
Examining this instance of seemingly dramatic change in women's status, Bennett argues that it included significant elements of continuity. Women might not have brewed in 1600 as often as they had in 1300, but they still worked predominantly in low-status, low-skilled, and poorly remunerated tasks. Using the experiences of brewsters to rewrite the history of women's work during the rise of capitalism, Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England offers a telling story of the endurance of patriarchy in a time of dramatic economic change.

"Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England: Women's Work in a Changing World, 1300-1600" by Judith M. Bennett
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ale-Beer-Brewsters-England-1300-1600/dp/0195126505

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Gotta love the sword that's longer than the dude wielding it.

And the auto-fire (HA) sword.

And the HULK SMASH THROUGH GATE

And "this being a keep it's obviously heavily guarded" (ten dead dudes later) "with this battle we are victorious!"

And the dude saying "this area is obviously vast and we've only scratched the surface" right after leaving a corridor path for another corridor path.

And the enemy assault party not leaving a single dude to watch over their ships.

And the hilariezly shoddy-looking "tacticool" view.

And how the keep can be upgraded in SO MANY WAYS!!!! that's why we'll show full offence upgrade.

And obviously, a dragon that lands upon a vast open space in order to give battle to the heroes. Heuhueheuheuuehuehue.

hiver

Looks nice. Nice environments and scope.

Seems to be something much better than the last one.
Combat effects are way too flashy, again,... but could be tolerable, especially if they keep all the tactical mechanics theyve mentioned and avoid stumbling into another popamole mess.

Could be a half decent game, maybe. If they dont fuck up the rest, writing most of all.

Last edited by a moderator:

SophosTheWise

Cipher
Man, combat looks really uninspiring. I liked the first video they released, because that somehow looked a bit like Dragon's Dogma, but I'm really unhappy with this. I still don't get why the devs wouldn't implement a grab/climb button into a 3D RPG. It was fine in DD but it could be used even better.

Dialogue system seems lackluster, but that was to be expected.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Gotta love the sword that's longer than the dude wielding it.

And the auto-fire (HA) sword.

And the HULK SMASH THROUGH GATE

And "this being a keep it's obviously heavily guarded" (ten dead dudes later) "with this battle we are victorious!"

And the dude saying "this area is obviously vast and we've only scratched the surface" right after leaving a corridor path for another corridor path.

And the enemy assault party not leaving a single dude to watch over their ships.

And the hilariezly shoddy-looking "tacticool" view.

And how the keep can be upgraded in SO MANY WAYS!!!! that's why we'll show full offence upgrade.

And obviously, a dragon that lands upon a vast open space in order to give battle to the heroes. Heuhueheuheuuehuehue.

And this is only alpha gameplay! Just imagine the glorious complete experince.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
This looks too much like Fable. Too exaggerated, too colorful. What is it with Bioware that can't create striking aesthetics that pleases an adult audience that longs for a quantum of taste and brilliance?

Still a 50% off purchase though because I'm a hypocritic Biowhore.

Zeriel

Arcane
Plus Demonicon is actually kind of better than DA2, which says a lot about Bioware these days.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Are the buildings and scenery props at least destructible? This being the same engine that powers BF4, i would expect the levels shown in the video to be littered with shit blowing up.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It should be better than Demonicon after all.
Why compare game made by handful of Krauts for bag of peanuts and two potatoes with AAA popamole made by 100 Kwanadans for millions of EA Jewgolds?

You answered your own question Comrade Why Commissar should be lenient on popamole only cause its cheaply made Popamole? And mind that after DA2 everybody have low expectations of DA game this being lowest point of Biowhore just like Oblivion was for Bethpizda; on the other hand Demonicon was released after :obviously: Dark Eye German game the River of Time so Commissar expected a lot more from them. (And Yes objectively speaking Demonicon was a lot better game than Turd called DA2 with decent writing, ample C&C and good system marred by lack of side quests, extreme linerality, uninspired art direction aping Dragon Age and atrocious popamole combat aping Twicher.) You don't have Jewgold/People working for Potatoes don't try to compete with Kwans.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DA2 is a weird game to me.

On one hand, it clearly has a large amount of shortcomings. The game is 80%+ combat. And only very few of those encounters are interesting. Even worse, when you play on Hard, you have a mixture of ridiculously easy fights, mobs that just one-hit your entire party without warning and proper, challenging fights. The last are of course the smallest part.
The character system is also a mixture of extremely strong skills and useless ones.
Sometimes, the game will try to sell you that something bad happened, yet totally fails at displaying it. Like at the beginning, when you are supposed to end up in an overcrowded refuge camp, with everything that should come with (dirty, lots of people, despair, etc.). The game shows you giant, clean structures with probably 20 people in it. Wtf? If your engine can't handle a large number of NPCs, come up with another story.
While the game a selection of areas you can go to, and is rather open in this. Every location on it's own is nothing but a corridor. It's really, really bad.
I could go on with the issues...

But, I played through the entire game in few evenings and must say that I had fun. Not the most amount of fun I ever had but certainly good-for-what-it-is fun.

Most of the issues I had with the game are not engine related, so switching to a different one probably will not have an impact on my experience. Other things are more important.

Are the buildings and scenery props at least destructible? This being the same engine that powers BF4, i would expect the levels shown in the video to be littered with shit blowing up.
Don't know if you are serious, but useless stuff like that in RPGs just distracts developers from important things, so I hope this will not be a feature. Also, destructible buildings require a lot more effort than just the right engine. You have to take this into account from the beginning when designing to the artists that create the buildings. How are they going to fall apart? You can't just use voxel logic here. really, this is something I do not hope to see outside of games like shooters. Or Minecraft.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
DA2 is a weird game to me.

Don't know if you are serious, but useless stuff like that in RPGs just distracts developers from important things, so I hope this will not be a feature. Also, destructible buildings require a lot more effort than just the right engine. You have to take this into account from the beginning when designing to the artists that create the buildings. How are they going to fall apart? You can't just use voxel logic here. really, this is something I do not hope to see outside of games like shooters. Or Minecraft.

I wonder which important things these Bioware developers should be focusing on? The writing? the world design? the art design? Apparently they all look like crap from the videos they have shown. At least destructible scenery would have brought a little bit more to the combat, assuming the devs had the capacity to implement proper cover for ranged attackers.

Speaking of voxel tech, the stuff the EQ next guys are planning is truly mind bending for an online rpg, imagine seeing that in a single player game, would bring a lot to world exploration.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Plus Demonicon is actually kind of better than DA2, which says a lot about Bioware these days.
No.

Yes.
Hmm you've convinced me that you're unable to tell the difference between European shovelware and a North American game that was horribly managed with some stupid but also some worthwhile goals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom