Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Malpercio

Arcane
Did I read it right? ME2 was a... good game?

What the fuck Codex? :nocountryforshitposters:

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
The gameplay was Josh-approved but the writing wasn't? And you're saying he doesn't have Asperger's?

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The gameplay is acceptable at best, the writing is really terrible, but because it's lengthy and convoluted it might take a while for the shittyness to sink in.

Tommy Wiseau

Arcane
Playing Mass Effect 2 for its gameplay is a mental disorder, no matter how terrible you believe the story to be.

Borelli

Arcane
vrJSWdg.jpg
Genius programmer but now working in a school teaching computer science to uninterested kids sees his former student on this picture.
"what are you doing man?"
"i'm selling videogames ... bitch"
"these videogames of yours, they are a flawed product, team up with me and we will put a quality product on the street" etc,etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Playing Mass Effect 2 for its gameplay is a mental disorder, no matter how terrible you believe the story to be.
Anyone can say that about any genre they dislike. Yeah, someone who doesn't like cover shooting isn't going to like a cover shooter no matter how well-done it is.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mass Effect is definitely one of the most overrated series of all time. I never really understood how it became more than just another Jade Empire-style random post-NWN Bio-game.

I remember when Dragon Age came out and sold more copies than the first Mass Effect...but somehow nobody cared. It seemed like there was some kind of concerted effort from someone to keep on hyping Mass Effect and make it a bigger deal than it was. An effort that quite evidently succeeded. That was when it became obvious that BioWare was about to go full retard as a company.

Delterius

Arcane
I remember when Dragon Age came out and sold more copies than the first Mass Effect

I wish I could pride myself over not being as much paranoid as you. But I see the machinations of hype somewhere else -- in how the tenets which guided DA:O's fundamental design couldn't possibly be worth the attention of the crowd of 2011. After all, a 2 year eternity had passed since the first game's release. That's the story designers and PR speakers told to media and fans, that their best selling, and fairly recent, success to that date was all junk. Almost as if the entire company's MO followed someone's reality lacking investment programme.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mass Effect is definitely one of the most overrated series of all time. I never really understood how it became more than just another Jade Empire-style random post-NWN Bio-game.
Spiritual successor to Knights of the Old Republic, their first big console game, when it comes to setting.

I remember when Dragon Age came out and sold more copies than the first Mass Effect...but somehow nobody cared. It seemed like there was some kind of concerted effort from someone to keep on hyping Mass Effect and make it a bigger deal than it was. An effort that quite evidently succeeded. That was when it became obvious that BioWare was about to go full retard as a company.
ME2 was released a couple of months after DA:O and received the current Guinness World Record for most critically-acclaimed role playing game. DA:O also didn't live up to console gamers' expectations (established by ME) when it came to graphics, how dialogue was presented, the detail in the cinematic dialogues, etc.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's tied with Skyrim now which has also outsold it by something like 16 million copies. :)

LivingOne

Savant

I think it has to do with the series having started as 360 exclusive and then going multiplatform(so console war hype) + the fact that when it came out linear cinematicfaggotry and sci-fi were bigger deals than they are now especially if compared to stuff like fantasy and focus on gameplay(yeah,we know DAO doesn't really focus enough on gameplay to satisfy an average codexer but for the mainstream it's different).After the DA 2 fiasco the public and press couldn't ignore all the potential problems with the linear-cinematic-little C&C approach and in the same year many other fantasy RPGs received praise for doing the opposite(again looking at things from a mainstream perspective.Between Dark Souls,Skyrim and Twitcher 2 I found only the former to be satisfying).
In fact sometimes I wonder if the KS hype for oldschool RPGs would have been as strong as it is without the DA2 drama.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
ME2 was really fun, probably the most fun popamole game I've played. ME1 was average and forgettable though, and ME3 was terrible (even though the combat was considerably improved).

DA:O, however, was a total snorefest. It was just blandness incarnate. I think it only sold well because it was touted as a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games (which were the last and only great games that Bioware made).

I'd say that should explain why DA wasn't as critically successful as ME2, but then again, Skyrim is even more of a snorefest and yet a lot of people seem to enjoy it for some reason. It is a mystery.

DraQ

Arcane
Jeez, fuck Bioware man. Their execution of that concept doesn't prove anything. I'm talking about moral ruleset system in general; you define what is rght/wrong/just/unjust etc. in your universe, therefore, you can always tell where your player stands. He/she always knows WHAT are they doing. Nothing needs to be dumb down. In ancient Greece and Middle Ages were defined 'truths' like these and again, that doesn't mean that any story set in era like those have to be shallow.
The thing is you're not making games for ancient Greek or medieval gamers.

One of the result is: player always knows what is going on.
But why should they?

Just think about that. For example, you can have plot where player could rebel against some ultimate power/god who represents this moral system or any kind of system.
You mean like deconstruction?
:troll:

Nope. I already talked about this few weeks ago so I'm not gonna repeat it.
Links or it didn't happen.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really don't understand the hatred towards Mass Effect and DA O (the second game I can understand completly) but it is quite moronic that EA decided to dumb down a well recived game like DA by making it more like Mass Effect.
As I see it I won't play the third DA since I think it is the very perversion of the IE style games that began with Neverwinter Nights and now seems to be like a retarded mix of Witcher 2 and Skyrim but the Mass Effect series is like a good popcorn summer movie with lots of action, testosterone and some nerd service sex scenes. If you think of them as FPS with RPG elements they fun and entertaining in a mindless sort of way but if you expect them to be anything else you are bound to be dissapointed

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I got an idea. They would make sooo much money if they remove all romances in Inquisition and release em as DLC. 5 bucks a pop. If gay/lesbian 10 bucks cuz its edgy.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Testosterone and B class S-F Movie climate was only present in ME2, the first part was bad RPG and last took itself too seriously, was full of estrogen and had most :retarded:ending in any video game Commissar played; so you can say that even as provider of Lulz

BI:mhd:WARE

fails; unless you mean lulz from reading the threads likes this on Codex; Can bet it will be 1000 pages when game will be released.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom