Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

Caim

Arcane
Just think about that. For example, you can have plot where player could rebel against some ultimate power/god who represents this moral system or any kind of system.
mass-effect-3-extended-cut-pc-ps3-xbox-360-screenshots-2.jpg

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
That makes me wish the whole indoctrination theory had been right but it would have bee expecting too much really from those Biowere idiots to pull something so elaborate

Lhynn

Arcane
The indoctrination theory was right, they just changed it after the massive negative feedback.

Rake

Arcane
...the massive negative feedback.
:o If that is true then Biodrones are even more retarded than i thought, and i change my mind for ME3 ending. It was perfect. It was exactly what these cretins deserved.
:kingcomrade:

Rake

Arcane
I don't even understand how you guys made it through the first game.
I didn't. I haven't played any of the MEs. But i followed the discussions here on the Codex and saw parts of LPs. The indoctrination theory sounded good, (something i honestly didn't expect from Bioware), while the ME3
ending gathered so much scorn (even from Biodrones, not only from Codex) that i don't need to have experience it to know it's shit.
DA2 is another matter. That one i experienced it first hand... :(

kris

Arcane
2) Player should be always aware what's going on. This is not that clear from this post, but Weekes expanded on that in some interview I saw. He was talking about Bioware trying to be always 'honest' with the player. He understands why someone likes C&C like Witcher has - something absolutely unpredictable will happen, viz Pogrom in first ACT in W2. But part of that is that good intentions sometimes lead to even more fucked-up situation, that in many ways, player's decision is actually pretty insignificant. Bioware philosophy then goes like this: player should alwys know what's going on and what consequence will his actions have (at least in general). They probably think that it's gonna make your decision harder (you can see pretty clearly)... From my point of view, It's actually ok, because in Bioware's IP's, you're always someone in charge (Warden, Shepard) or someone who at least has power in their hands (Hawke). It fits. And we've come full circle with Weekes's statements.

Only when it makes sense.

I could sit for weeks and come up with examples of choices were the outcome isn't and shouldn't be clear. and if you think that only choices like that should exist then you are... boring or more precisely a gamist. Most of the best C&C is when the outcome isn't clear or when the outcome later comes up as a surprise. Now now, if you accept "general outcome of consequence" then we are more or less alread there, but if you need to know beforehand what is behind every door, then where is the wonder?

Whether you are one in charge or not is irrelevant. As if even our politicians have much of an idea of the consequences of their actions. By the way, sending weapons to the talibans back in the day was a good choice, was it not?

Lhynn

Arcane
ME1 was pretentious shit, but it was fun. It was an RPG with some action elements, not an action RPG. Also it featured stuff like strong writing, especially on the building of the setting, interesting choices and a good motivation to get tru to the end. It was indeed a good game, overrated by most, underrated by the codex.
The combat wasnt very good by shooty standards but it was actually challenging, especially on the highest difficulty where a single punch from a krogan could literally kill you. I think it didnt have health regen and cover was mostly optional which gave the combat a more frenetic feel.

imweasel

ME1 and ME2 were fun. Not every game has to be a classless, tun-based, fantasy/post-apocalyptic full-blown RPG to be fun. As a scifi fan I was also able to enjoy the story.

ME3 and DA2 are indeed shit though.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I liked the cocky writing in ME. ME and Witcher were only RPGs since Planscape that I enjoyed reading and listening to.
Anywayz, fuck ME, Witcher and KOTOR series.

Whats up with this 100 mil dolla jewel? When is this to be released anyway? So quiet about it, some news, a hype video and epic scenes. One thing Im interested in is how much they are gonna change gameplay cause of the microtransactions. Given how horny Microsoft and EA are when it comes to this next gen innovation. Its hard doing it in a RPG when everybody is expecting a big chunk of content but surely they gonna find a slick way to block you from weapons, sidequests and so on.

Ninjerk

Arcane
The story wasn't even good, though. From what little I remember, some of the smaller pieces of writing (individual planet's quests) were OK, but the overall narrative was almost point for point copy of the Halo narrative and the Cassandra complex was completely hamfisted. They could have had Sheppard have some kind of really keen detective ability and his superiors are corrupt and/or inept and don't pay attention to what's happening on the ground but NOPE Sheppard touches the MacGuffin that magically doesn't work for anyone else so he can run through the game yelling THE REAPERS ARE COMING THE REAPERS ARE COMING.

Caim

Arcane
ME1 was fresh and new with an actual adventure going on and a mystery to solve. ME2 and 3 had less going for them because the exact end goal was spelled out to you from square 1 and they had shitty twist endings.

There was some pretty kickass music though: especially in ME2.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is funny that Dragon Age is probably a better RPG than Mass Effect (it has stats lol), but I've never managed to finish it. I tried multiple times and finally gave up when I've found the Broodmother or whatever she was called. The whole thing was just too retarded. ME games, on the other hand, were quite enjojable and I've finished them all.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
I think it started out ok, while you know in Bioware game where everything is going(save teh world). The flow, the attitude, the voice acting all contributed to a nice space soap opera feel with some shooting involved. Its a kind of well needed breath of fresh air from the epic derp fantasy mega games. help me, oh kind stranger that Ive never met before, bring me 7 wolf hearts...meh

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There was some pretty kickass music though: especially in ME2.
Yes

Mass Effect 2 is a pretty fun game, you travel through the seedy underbelly of the galaxy fighting mercs to badass music. None of that standard BioWare "race against time to save the world" stuff like in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
The only fun part was the mako and planet scenery ,ofc retards complained and Bioshit did what they are best at-removed it.:balance:
What was fun in derping around on a dead planet and searching for collectibles? You like to prolong the game time and make it worth the money spent?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The actual setting of ME was damn entertaining to anybody who grew up with the original trilogy, Star Trek and Babylon 5 with all sorts of good Sciene Fiction refrences and a setting with actual believable concepts and a somewhat consistent backdrop
I actually liked it for what it was, Bioware can always deliver some pretty michael bay themed games where if you don't want to rage too much they are quite entertaining popamole

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I grew up with two of those things and I found the ME setting to be incredibly boring. Too much space American Exceptionalism.

Tigranes

Arcane
Still haven't played ME series, very happy, sadly Codex won't shut up about it it's almost like it wants to encourage me to play them +M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom