Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age - official Codex verdict

Arcanoix

Scholar
Volourn said:
"The fade is a rip off like most things in this D. Gaider circle jerk.

R00fles."

Your post is a rip off of KC's. R00fles!

" I loved the shape-changing aspect. It was almost like an homage to something like Metroid or Symphony of the Night. "

More like HOTU.

Shapeshifting was ripped straight out of Lands of Lore : Guardians of Destiny.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Shapeshifting wasn't ripped off of anything in particular. Shapeshifting has been part of fantasy games, movies, novels pretty much since the concept of magic was invented.

DA is not a dungeon crawler. It does have lots of comnbat, but a game needs to be ALL about combat to be a dungeon crawler which isn't what DA is. One could argue that FO and PST are dungeonc rawlers since they spend lots of time in dungeon delving too. But, they aren't.

As for anyone who claims DA isn't hardcore (ro even hard), they are stupid. I NEVER avoided dragons in BG2 when I first encountered them, but DA dragons.. I';m saving them. Hell, I couldn't even kill the revenants in the forest first time I met. Managed top get the one at the castle, the.

Just finished the Urn of Ashes Quest. Fun times, and the I was impressed with the look of the ruins and caves. Friggin' dragon is a bitch. Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than any dragon in any other game ever.

The city is pretty awesome. It's not as huge as Athkatla, or Baldur's Gate but still plenty big. I also like how it's also done like a mini world map.

I've played 32 hours and that's not counting reloads. I've also died as much or more than I ever did in any other game I've played. One wrong movie equals reload time. I'm no fan of health/mana regen (or even mana in general) but obviously it doens't make the game any easier or less hardcore. You still have to manage things correctly.

And, some of the npcs, at least the ones I've interacted with ( I killed the stupid assassin after he retardedly attacked me).

Also, random encounters are a blast as most of them have to do with the many small side quests.

Sweet stuff.

I'll be honest though. As far as the main story goes, they should have a) put more emphasis on what the deepsawn were doing or b) have the focus on getting allies and exploration. They eaisly could have had the darkspawn kept as a background threat for the game and save them for the focus of part 2. I have a whole story write up how that could have worked.

Overall, this game CRUSHES BG1, JE, NWN OC/SOU/even HOTU). It's about to overtake ME and BG2 too. Won't take out NWN:TP... maybe...

Multi-headed Cow

What's NWN:TP? Total package?

Another Dragon Age suck point, lack of good villain. Unfortunately "SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR TO BALDUR'S GATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" didn't turn into a new Irenicus, or even a Sarevok. Loghain's just kind of a dick, and the archdemon is just a big fucking monster that doesn't even talk. Unless there's some big Master-like reveal that the archdemon is killing people so they can ascend to the Black City because it's really lovely in there then fuck. SHIT FUCK PISS ASS

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Multi-headed Cow said:
What's NWN:TP? Total package?

Another Dragon Age suck point, lack of good villain. Unfortunately "SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR TO BALDUR'S GATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" didn't turn into a new Irenicus, or even a Sarevok. Loghain's just kind of a dick, and the archdemon is just a big fucking monster that doesn't even talk. Unless there's some big Master-like reveal that the archdemon is killing people so they can ascend to the Black City because it's really lovely in there then fuck. SHIT FUCK PISS ASS

Yep. I mean, Loghain has potential, but the game focuses all too little on him. It's like Gaydar didn't know what to do:

"I is split. Le big dragon, or teh insane sjeneral?"

It's really the biggest problem with the game probably. There was nothing driving you onwards towards the end (other than "here be dragons. do slay them if you find the time."

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Nah, this isn't a dungeon crawler. Dungeon crawler is a sub-genre that tends to show itself as having a hub where you rest, buy, sell, etc. and go into a dungeon. Having dungeon crawling, even a lot of it, does not equal dungeon crawler.

Still, Skyway is nitpicking and the prior point still stands: he has no fucking clue what he is talking about.

Ok, ok - it's not a dungeon crawler. It's a story based RPG with "dungeon crawling elements" How's that :D

I won't even say dungeon crawling elements, beyond that in any RPG. Just say combat heavy, it has fewer implications.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Silellak said:
Volourn said:
Overall, this game CRUSHES BG1, JE, NWN OC/SOU/even HOTU). It's about to overtake ME and BG2 too. Won't take out NWN:TP... maybe...

What is NWN:TP?

NWN : Trippy Princess. It's Volly's favorite.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Lumpy said:
So what's the Codex consensus?

if you actually find more than 10 posters at teh Codex NOT whinging about a game...it's probably pretty good. also, sorry Black...your act is fucking tired. :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Another Dragon Age suck point, lack of good villain."

I agree with this. They really needed to either a) put a lot more focus on the darkspawn/archdemon or b) keep that as a 'background thread' to gear up for DA2 while DA could focus on uniting all of Feralden under the Gray Warden banner.

hell, they could have easily done this by doing Trademeet, and then finally showing the archdemon destroying a town or two (or even raping your party) as the game ends.

This means they could ahev fleshed out various areas, and stuff.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, the darkspawn could have been more important if there was more a sense of urgency to them. It started out fairly promising at Ostagar since you get a taste of big angry orc army stomping around, then Lothering getting wiped out lacked some impact without a cutscene or the ability to go back there yourself to see dead-Lothering, but after that it seems like they just stop.

And talking about big angry orc army reminds me, they needed more darkspawn horror bits like the broodmother. That gives you some darkgrittymature and makes the darkspawn seem more than just orcs, but when they're just running around on their own they're pretty generic.

Still, I hope the game does well for them, since it's still by far the best Bioware game in quite a while. It would be nice if they kept making old-school-esque RPGs instead of "RPG... PLUS FIGHTING GAME!" and "RPG... PLUS SHOOTER!".

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Dragons are easy. I called down the high dragon with the horn at 13th lvl and beat it with no party "deaths" in a short amount of time. Hex spells make it too easy even on nightmare pc version.

Castanova

Prophet
Still liking the game quite a bit but it's starting to wear a little thin. Certain areas of the game are excessively crawlish - the whole of Orzammar so far, for example, feels like an endless corridor of vanilla encounters. Also, now that I have my 3 mages / 1 tank builds pretty much done in terms of talents the game (on Hard) is largely too easy. I think I'm 30+ hours in so far with only Orzammar left to finish in terms of the army building quest. I'd say they should have cut a solid 10 hours from the final game from what I've seen.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Damn it, why did they put gay elves in this game? Granted, Baldur's Gate had Haer'Dalis, but at least he was still in the closet.

Ch1ef

Scholar
Dragon Age is for shit eating faggets.

Ah, it's good to be back :cool:

vazquez595654

Arbiter
I don't understand who wants to play this game. The game focuses on storytelling and choices right? But it's like reading a shitty fantasy book, or watching a B movie. Who actually enjoys the story in this game?

I may be able to stomach it out of sheer boredom or procrastination.

The first mission out of the camp has you fighting a lot enemies pointlessly. Why are there so many? And why do you have to fight them? Is it because the developers spent a lot of time making the 3d models, animating them, and they have to artificially add on to the length of the game, so they can claim it has a lot of hours of gameplay? This is the same formula as Mass Effect. What kind of remotely believable story comprises of talk, fight, talk, fight, talk, fight. I Understand people like juicy conflict, but not all conflict has to be in the form of violence. What about backstabbing, cheating, lying, jealously, embarrassment, shame, desire, environment, and politics. Just some examples that could be used in the story to play with conflict without actual fighting. Would make for a lot better story and realistic role-playing experience.

If you are enjoying this game please tell me how. I'm jealous and I want to enjoy this piece of shit that got a 9.5 on gamespot as well.

*yawn*

The combat is good, the story is passable, the world is well crafted, there are quite a few good quests (although plenty of fetch quests, as well), and it's an overall enjoyable experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom