Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Ryzer

Arcane
Why hiring a designer when you can hire a programmer who has his hands straight into the code and knows what he can and cannot do?
:philosoraptor:

Sykar

Arcane
Because then we would not get such subliminal design!
vg44807_633957314235024415-enchantment.jpg

:troll:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Yeah that blog post was a straight up nothing burger.

It wasn't even interesting for me as a gamedev because I just rolled my eyes at how hard people are justifying their jobs.

It doesn't help that whoever wrote that was being patronizing as fuck.

"Hello kids! Of course you wouldn't know what these jobs are, so let me explain them to you, you fucking thick-skulled cretins! Yes I will!"

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Well thanks for explaining what your jobs are i guess?

Could be, but I suspect that it's going to be dog shit as an action game too. The main thing will be catering to losers who can be happy that the NPCs are their friends and lovers.
Late answer but even this isn’t true as said NPCs have to be people you want as your virtual friends and lovers.
In this regard the dragon age series has been nothing but steady decline and the mass effect series for its many faults were carried almost entirely by their recurring supporting cast to the point people obsessed enough about them to write detailed chemical breakdowns of their sweat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Designers *have* to know code in this day and age, although that path is taken by people who find an iteration cycle too difficult to program.
Nah. Sawyer can't code. Neither can Avellone. They hire people specifically to script the things the narrative and area designers want, code the things the systems designers want.

Designers *have* to know code in this day and age, although that path is taken by people who find an iteration cycle too difficult to program.
Nah. Sawyer can't code. Neither can Avellone. They hire people specifically to script the things the narrative and area designers want, code the things the systems designers want.
Then they should. Designers having at least an idea of how coding works would seriously improve development processes since they wouldn't be coming up with crazy ideas that are impossible to implement.
I mean, you can learn every programming language you want by watching youtube tutorials.

Delterius

Arcane
Designers having at least an idea of how coding works would seriously improve development processes since they wouldn't be coming up with crazy ideas that are impossible to implement.
I'm not sure if that's even that hard. It's not like designers exist in a vaccuum. There's producers and there's working with programmers your whole career. I don't know shit about black magic geomancy that programmers do but I get the feeling that after 5-10 years of working with them I'd have an inkling of what they can do. Plus, what's possible and what's impossible is kinda on them and their tools innit. Sawyer seems to be a good example. Guy played super conservatively in PoE1 and 2. The weird and stupid ideas like storybook ship combat came from above.

If a designer is proposing dumb shit then the problem might be deeper than them not having a background as coders. They might not have a background as designers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Then they should. Designers having at least an idea of how coding works would seriously improve development processes since they wouldn't be coming up with crazy ideas that are impossible to implement.
I mean, you can learn every programming language you want by watching youtube tutorials.

Anthony Davis has made the claim that Sawyer is in fact a programmer's designer despite not knowing how to code https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/developer-story-time-with-old-man-davis.83113/

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Designers are the idea guys of the industry. In the past, this is justified by them being really good at their jobs.

When they're not good at their jobs, they're dead weight. Oh, and since they're idea guys, it means they have the fewest technical qualifications to land another job in the industry.

Except level designers. You guys rock.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt

Agreed, I'm doing the same

Agreed, I'm doing the same

Good! Now parse it to String.

Lodis

Educated
I'm starting to think this game doesn't even exist and they're just biding time until EA finally shuts them down.

aloeh

Novice
I'm starting to think this game doesn't even exist and they're just biding time until EA finally shuts them down.
They change totally the design of the game.

Initially was a multi-player game with transactions. But with the success of Jedi whatever they saw again a great potential for single player focused games and gave a greenlight to change the game to be like anterior games.

Not only does this game exist, it’s like the third or fourth version of it to exist over a span of eight years.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom