Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Aphex81

Scholar
Bioware right now:
Exec: I want you to make a better game than Baldurs Gate 3. You are BIOWARE ffs !!! How do we top BEARSEX?...Why does it smell like shit in here?
Dev: I just transitioned and....
Dev2: Dragons ! I have this Dragon dildo to dilate and it's the hottest thing, ...also knotting.
Patrick Weekes: Hey sisters i finally got my hair and nails done, my wifes' boyfriend loves pink so i had to, i just had to.
Exec: Dragon Sex?
Dev2: Yes, Dragon sex is the hot new thing with our target demographic.
Dev: I think i am leaking i need to go to the bathroom.
Bathroom: *squishing and grunting sounds*
Dev2: Trust me on this one.

RepHope

Savant
By the way it's safe to say that "finally coming in 2024" is incredibly optimistic. They wouldn't be firing 50 people now if the title was in good shape and on track.

Bethesda laid off an unspecified amount of people early this year and Starfield is still coming out soon. It could be that taking out the trash is what that is necessary for the game to come out in good shape and on track.
Different circumstances. Starfield is good enough to show, DA4 isn't. Apparently no one of importance at Bethesda was laid off (the only person named in an article I saw was a PR Manager). With Bioware, EA took away TOR as a revenue source a few months ago because they were tired of Edmonton using that as an excuse for their inefficiency. Now they've cut their funding. As Gaider confirmed, senior staff were hit hard, likely because if they had just let go of the juniors, the number would be quite a bit larger than 50.

Unfortunately EA was too dumb to replace the management which is likely the biggest source of trouble. As a seething fired employee on glassdoor put it last year "There are some incredibly toxic people in leadership who seem immune to punishment or firing no matter what they do."
I assume those toxic people are either diversity hires or trannies who get to keep their jobs no matter how badly they fuck up. Good riddance to BioWare, they were “woke” before that was a mainstream position. RPGs will be better off without them.

Aarwolf

Learned
More from Grubb, someone managed to sum up what he said:

Grubb says Dreadwolf is currently targeting Summer 2024, but he would not at all be surprised if it gets bumped further down the line (likely by the end of next year, but possibly even as late as March 2025, aka the end of EA's fiscal).

A few different factors contributing to these layoffs

- EA has started to acknowledge internally that Apex Legends, its major money-maker, is on the decline. The live-service hit has historically been able to offset the costs of their other studios, including BioWare

-The publisher has also recently restructured its operations. Unlike before, EA Sports is now evaluated separately from their other gaming efforts, which now fall under EA Entertainment. By decoupling FIFA and Madden from the rest, studios like BioWare will now be under more pressure justify themselves to the publisher and its shareholders.

Consequently, BioWare now finds itself in a bottom rung position at EA, making them the most obvious candidate for layoffs. Morale is low, these firings won't help, and Jeff does not feel optimistic about the studio's longterm future, particularly if Dreadwolf doesn't land.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

This is delusional optimism. We haven't seen a single official screenshot or gameplay trailer and they think they can release it by summer?

I assume those toxic people are either diversity hires or trannies who get to keep their jobs no matter how badly they fuck up. Good riddance to BioWare, they were “woke” before that was a mainstream position. RPGs will be better off without them.

Bioware leadership is guys.

Aphex81

Scholar
Just sell them to Microsoft.
Looks like MS buying the big studios to put out woke shit and epic is buying the small studios to put out woke shit while aa studios think: hey all these studios put out woke shit so we better put out some woke shit of our own.

Gargaune

Arcane
"BioWare! Baldur's Gate 3 is a huge success, make Dragon Age 4 like that!"
"Anon, anon, sir!"
"BioWare! Starfield's murdered Baldur's Gate 3 in sales, make Dragon Age 4 like that!"
"Anon, anon, sir!"
"BioWare! Where the fuck is my Baldur's Gate 3-like Dragon Age 4?! Baldur's Gate 4 just came out and outsold Tetris!"
"Anon, anon, sir!"
"BioWaaaaare! The Elder Scrolls VI released and Todd bought Belgium!"
[...]

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I always love to stroll trhough portfolios of those who are about toruil game I play
Patrick Weekes
paladin_caper_cover.jpg

Loch is an ex-military scout who uses her skills to rob the rich and save the world in this fantasy heist caper series. Joined by a crew that includes an illusionist wizard, a winsome necromancer, a talking magical warhammer, and a sexy unicorn, Loch launches increasingly over-the-top schemes to take the people who think they’re above the law down a few pegs.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik

Grubb says Dreadwolf is currently targeting Summer 2024, but he would not at all be surprised if it gets bumped further down the line (likely by the end of next year, but possibly even as late as March 2025, aka the end of EA's fiscal).

- EA has started to acknowledge internally that Apex Legends, its major money-maker, is on the decline. The live-service hit has historically been able to offset the costs of their other studios, including BioWare

-The publisher has also recently restructured its operations. Unlike before, EA Sports is now evaluated separately from their other gaming efforts, which now fall under EA Entertainment. By decoupling FIFA and Madden from the rest, studios like BioWare will now be under more pressure justify themselves to the publisher and its shareholders.

Consequently, BioWare now finds itself in a bottom rung position at EA, making them the most obvious candidate for layoffs. Morale is low, these firings won't help, and Jeff does not feel optimistic about the studio's longterm future, particularly if Dreadwolf doesn't land.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Who bites the dust so far:
Tim Griffith
Narrative Programmer at Bioware. Friend of all dogs. He/they

Jon Renish
Foundation Technical Director at BioWare working on Dragon Age. (He / Him)

Mary Kirby
She/her. Writer at BioWare Edmonton. Currently on Dragon Age. Sometimes brews coffee from the tears of fans. Mostly tweets cats. Views are my own.

tKb8gz2.gif

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Lol, why would you go post on twitter about losing your job? Don't they see how pathetic it looks?? I'm getting all this second hand embarrassment reading this and I bet they didn't have any first hand embarrassment whatsoever.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Lol, why would you go post on twitter about losing your job? Don't they see how pathetic it looks?? I'm getting all this second hand embarrassment reading this and I bet they didn't have any first hand embarrassment whatsoever.

They list their sexual deviancies, their pronouns, their allegiance to truly pathetic causes... of course they want to tweet about being a victim. It will get many sympathetic digilal pats on the back from their fellow degenerate game devs, and quite possibly land them a job. They fucking love the attention.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

How have I never seen this before? Amazing.

Artyoan

Arbiter
The publisher has also recently restructured its operations. Unlike before, EA Sports is now evaluated separately from their other gaming efforts, which now fall under EA Entertainment. By decoupling FIFA and Madden from the rest, studios like BioWare will now be under more pressure justify themselves to the publisher and its shareholders.
How to recognize a parasite with this one neat mind trick.

Terra

Cipher
Game industry, especially woke dev is a nepotistic bubble. One person posts how they've lost their job this afternoon, they're set up with a new position at a different woke outfit soon thereafter. When you're already listing garbage like "they/them" on your profile, there's not really any part of you left that feels shame, is there?

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Game industry, especially woke dev is a nepotistic bubble. One person posts how they've lost their job this afternoon, they're set up with a new position at a different woke outfit soon thereafter. When you're already listing garbage like "they/them" on your profile, there's not really any part of you left that feels shame, is there?
I'm surprised every time I see a new low in the world of patheticisms and I expect to be surprised again in the new future. The idea of fishing for a pity job with a sad loser twitter post is just so lame. I can't even imagine.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I'm surprised every time I see a new low in the world of patheticisms and I expect to be surprised again in the new future. The idea of fishing for a pity job with a sad loser twitter post is just so lame. I can't even imagine.
Not if it works.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom