Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Lol, why would you go post on twitter about losing your job? Don't they see how pathetic it looks?? I'm getting all this second hand embarrassment reading this and I bet they didn't have any first hand embarrassment whatsoever.
Game industry, especially woke dev is a nepotistic bubble. One person posts how they've lost their job this afternoon, they're set up with a new position at a different woke outfit soon thereafter. When you're already listing garbage like "they/them" on your profile, there's not really any part of you left that feels shame, is there?
I'm surprised every time I see a new low in the world of patheticisms and I expect to be surprised again in the new future. The idea of fishing for a pity job with a sad loser twitter post is just so lame. I can't even imagine.
Not if it works.
Whether it works or not doesn't matter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It'd be a scream if they got rid of Kristjanson. One of the oldest employees if not the oldest by now.
They got 'em!

Stunned to learn BioWare also let go of Lukas Kristjanson. We used to call him Old Man Luke and Writer Alpha - there since BG1, the writer behind Minsc and Joker and so many more. One of Bio's longest-serving employees. Hats off to him, hope he's doing well.

No discrimination, all senior writers must go! Old Bioware is fully dead now.

I'm just imagining some all-hands meeting where a picture of BG3 is set up and higher-ups screaming "why didn't you nerds make this instead?!"
Pretty sure the higher-ups are the ones that wanted nothing to do with BG3, in part because of licensing fees.

The Bioware strategy has been for a while to succeed with an established WotC franchise (D&D, Star Wars d20) and then make their own generic version once they have the guaranteed audience.
They can't even do that see Anthem.
Anthem is the logical conclusion of a company believing that they can create a compelling IP in years equal to IPs created by hundreds of authors iteratively over decades. Completely delusional. I'd rather have been playing Black Hound or NWN II than Dragon Age. I'd rather have been playing KotOR II & III than Jade Empire and the entire Mass Effect series combined.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I'm just imagining some all-hands meeting where a picture of BG3 is set up and higher-ups screaming "why didn't you nerds make this instead?!"
Pretty sure the higher-ups are the ones that wanted nothing to do with BG3, in part because of licensing fees.

The Bioware strategy has been for a while to succeed with an established WotC franchise (D&D, Star Wars d20) and then make their own generic version once they have the guaranteed audience.
They can't even do that see Anthem.
Anthem is the logical conclusion of a company believing that they can create a compelling IP in years equal to IPs created by hundreds of authors iteratively over decades. Completely delusional. I'd rather have been playing Black Hound or NWN II than Dragon Age. I'd rather have been playing KotOR II & III than Jade Empire and the entire Mass Effect series combined.
I'd say Anthem is the result of an attempt to clone Destiny by a studio run by a bunch of morons that have never made anything even close to this type of game.
Who could have expected it.

It has to be sad, though. Other studios like CDPR and now Larian have done Bioware better than Bioware arguably ever did. It just tells you how they kinda rose to popularity just in time when the whole crpg genre was in shambles. The 00s were dire and they ruled them almost without trying. But then it took a few kickstarters and a Playboy photoshoot with Triss to send it all to hell.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Lol, why would you go post on twitter about losing your job? Don't they see how pathetic it looks?? I'm getting all this second hand embarrassment reading this and I bet they didn't have any first hand embarrassment whatsoever.
Maybe if your job is to move rocks. If your jobs is designer/writer/whatever, the support network is international and on social media. You are announcing you need help to the people who are in a position to help you, and seeking advice from people who've already experienced this. Makes sense.
Not dissimilar from Stack Overflow, where you are announcing that you can't solve X issue, so people can help you solve it. And I bet you a year's wages that nobody is emberassed or thinks its pathetic to ask for help from an online community.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I bet some will end up in Larian.
You think these Canadians will wind up in Belgium instead of any the hundreds of studios in Canada?
https://quebec.larian.com/
logo-quebec.png

jaekl

Learned
Patron
Maybe if your job is to move rocks. If your jobs is designer/writer/whatever, the support network is international and on social media. You are announcing you need help to the people who are in a position to help you, and seeking advice from people who've already experienced this. Makes sense.
Not dissimilar from Stack Overflow, where you are announcing that you can't solve X issue, so people can help you solve it. And I bet you a year's wages that nobody is emberassed or thinks its pathetic to ask for help from an online community.
This post was actually even more gay than the tweets, great job.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Can you folks imagine a Mass Effect game made by Respawn? How awesome that will be? EA is squandering so much by not closing down Bioware.

Lodis

Educated
Yeah Bioware is done, the last successful release they had was a remaster of a decade old trilogy. From a business standpoint they have zero justification to exist as a company anymore.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Yeah Bioware is done, the last successful release they had was a remaster of a decade old trilogy. From a business standpoint they have zero justification to exist as a company anymore.
Their entire justification is the name. That's been the case for over a decade now. People still fall for it, too.

Hobo Jack

Barely Literate
Honestly, nobody is waiting for DA anymore. Console players even if they try hard know barely Dragon Age saga. All you have is that echo chamber from reddit and some "tumblrfanfic". But even there, they go full doomed since 3 days LOL

I don't know if after BG3 and Starfield release, gameplay wise and world construction will feel outdated.

Remember Witcher 3 released after Inquisition, it's not a bridge but an entire country between them.

And said remastered downgraded several graphics effect, let alone the reduction to Miranda's ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom