Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's funny that it turned out that Bioware actually sucked from EA and not the other way around
TOR was/is a big money-maker and it's why the Biodocs sold in the first place. But that was Austin, not Edmonton.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Dd34yyz.jpg

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
That thing is really the Dreadwolf director?

Guess I can stop wondering if Bioware redeems itself for the worthless garbage they've been spewing in the last 10 years.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Whatever happened to the Muslim guy with the white tears coffee mug? Was that a different BioWare studio?
Manveer Heir was laid off from Bioware in 2017, after which he founded Brass Lion Entertainment "focused on creating original fictional universes that center on black, brown, and other traditionally marginalized characters, cultures, and stories in a diverse and inclusive environment".

Oddly enough, it seems Brass Lion Entertainment has yet to complete development of any game. :M

DemonKing

Arcane
Just another reminder that Bioware founding is a story about idealistic youthful entrepreneurship that had no right to work out. But it did.

And now it's a walking corpse. What a world...
Everything they've released under EA that wasn't already a long way along in development (eg DA:O, ME2) has been pretty much garbage. It's actually shocking the Bioware name hasn't been taken out the back and shot like most of the other studios EA has acquired over the years as the brand itself has been so devalued it's actually a negative now.

9ted6

Educated
What's the consensus on Dragon Age Origins after all this? Was it always shit? Fans of Inquisition and Deadgame defenders say it was always progressive and woke, or that Origins was boring and awful to play.

Not sure what to think. Most of the same people who made Origins made Inquisition, but I can't remember anything in Origins that stands out as pandering and even late stage Gaider wasn't as aggressive as that gendermancer shit above. It was repetitive and did get old after some time looking back on it though.

Last edited:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
What's the consensus on Dragon Age? Was it always shit? Fans of Inquisition and Deadgame defenders say it was always progressive and woke, or that Origins was boring and awful to play.
Origins is a decent game that executes every aspect at a level just barely above mediocrity, it gets extra attention for being released during the CRPG dark ages. Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition are unplayable trash with quirky writing and terrible controls.

DAO is mid, nothing more nothing less. There isn't anything really extraordinary about it, but it's still kinda fun. DAI doesn't have ninjamancing so you can easily avoid all of the really sexual shit unlike in Origins, though. The only two instances that I can remember are Krem, from the Iron Bull's mercenary company, and that part where Dorian's father wants to try conversion therapy on him. But they are like 10 minutes each in a game that's like hundreds of hours long.

DA2 is the one with all the sex and perverted shit on it.

DemonKing

Arcane
What's the consensus on Dragon Age Origins after all this?
2009 RPG Codex Game of the Year!

It was an OK game. The actual Origins were extensive, generally decent and will probably never be attempted again. There were some awful bits like the dwarf caves that went on forever throwing the same enemies at you over and over again but I don't regret playing it and enjoyed my play through at the time (although I have little desire to go back to it these days).

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What's the consensus on Dragon Age Origins after all this? Was it always shit? Fans of Inquisition and Deadgame defenders say it was always progressive and woke, or that Origins was boring and awful to play.

Not sure what to think. Most of the same people who made Origins made Inquisition, but I can't remember anything in Origins that stands out as pandering and even late stage Gaider wasn't as aggressive as that gendermancer shit above. It was repetitive and did get old after some time looking back on it though.

A pretty solid 7/10. Better than anything BioWare did in years. Writing-wise I would put it above BG3, from what I can remember.

It had good worldbuilding and some interesting characters (Morrigan was a simp trap but still memorable). Gameplay and art/graphics were... ehh...

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Dragon Age: Origins is great. One of the better CRPGs out there. It might have flaws that might tick it of from perfect down to good but by no stretch of the imagination is it a bad game.

As to what you should think - you sound like you already think it's good. This forum is filled with opinionated people that make compelling arguments but that still doesn't mean you shouldn't have an opinion of your own.

volklore

Arcane
I really loved DA:O when it came out. But I was young, impressionable, craving for RPGs and let's face it a lot less bitter. I remember I found the game hard.
Replayed it a couple years ago on hardest difficulty and it was such a cakewalk it made me wonder if it was the same game I remembered. Biggest case of ''Oh my I was really fucking stupid at 18, voting age should be >25''

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really loved DA:O when it came out. But I was young, impressionable, craving for RPGs and let's face it a lot less bitter. I remember I found the game hard.
Replayed it a couple years ago on hardest difficulty and it was such a cakewalk it made me wonder if it was the same game I remembered. Biggest case of ''Oh my I was really fucking stupid at 18, voting age should be >25''
When did you originally play it? DA:O's difficulty was reduced by a patch at some point.

volklore

Arcane
At release pretty much (maybe a few month later) so that might be it.

Last edited:

9ted6

Educated
DAO is mid, nothing more nothing less. There isn't anything really extraordinary about it, but it's still kinda fun. DAI doesn't have ninjamancing so you can easily avoid all of the really sexual shit unlike in Origins, though. The only two instances that I can remember are Krem, from the Iron Bull's mercenary company, and that part where Dorian's father wants to try conversion therapy on him. But they are like 10 minutes each in a game that's like hundreds of hours long.

DA2 is the one with all the sex and perverted shit on it.
25% of DA2 felt like DAO and 75% felt like DAI.

You can ignore the romances in DAO though. Aside from Morrigan hitting on you if you're a guy, I don't think any companion comes onto you unprompted unlike 2 where the aesthetics and companions turn into a harem anime.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
When did you originally play it? DA:O's difficulty was reduced by a patch at some point.
That just applied to normal difficulty.

Any RPG is going to be easier the second time around when you have metaknowledge and a better idea of what you're doing.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

It's a great game, has flaws but if you're able to look past those (and you should) you can enjoy it for what it is and what it does well. Unfortunately, there were no sequels. The company saw no future for this IP and left it in limbo until today when they apparently decided to make another one out of the blue. Rumors say this is the 4th game but they are jesting, you don't go from 1 to 4 while skipping 2 and 3. And since it had no sequels it can't be the 4th one. All the rest in fanfiction.

scytheavatar

Scholar

Origins was far too repetitive to be a great game, fighting Darkspawns got boring after a while. And some sections drag on and on for far too long. That said it is still a classic and probably the best representation of what RTWP combat at its prime could be. It would have been a better game than Baldur's Gate 2 if it was more focused, more balanced and had more variety in its enemy design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom