Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I dread to think what a pile of shite Dreadwolf's going to be.

From the rather well-constructed dark, gritty fantasy world of DA:O to some faggot fairyland. Yeech, what a decline.

I say that as someone who maintains that DAI did hit a sweet spot for pretty decent MMO-like combat with the dwarf DLC for DAI (some of which is quite tough, and represents how DAI should have been all the way through). But eh, it's water under the bridge and DAD is obviously going to be ten times worse than DAI, especially with BG3 having kissed the rainbow. Tranny bear fucking on steroids with easy-peasy journo-level gameplay ahoy.

It was less than five years.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Dragon Age Origins was a grasp of fresh air among ADND and other generic RPGs, like Mss Effect was a breath air among endless star wars space operas. It was a decent game with interesting setting and not-forgettable companions. Its fame was well earned, as well as its infamy when Dragon Age 2 and full sacle lgbtqwuasdha+tranny-developement arrived.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Dragon Age Origins was a grasp of fresh air among ADND and other generic RPGs, like Mss Effect was a breath air among endless star wars space operas. It was a decent game with interesting setting and not-forgettable companions. Its fame was well earned, as well as its infamy when Dragon Age 2 and full sacle lgbtqwuasdha+tranny-developement arrived.

I see this in different way:

DAO was the last glimpse of old RPG, game after everything gone different.

DA2 was the highest point of Awesome Button mentality.

DAI was the moment, when Bioware dropped reason in to sink and gone rainbow-crazy.

9ted6

Educated
I dread to think what a pile of shite Dreadwolf's going to be.

From the rather well-constructed dark, gritty fantasy world of DA:O to some faggot fairyland. Yeech, what a decline.

I say that as someone who maintains that DAI did hit a sweet spot for pretty decent MMO-like combat with the dwarf DLC for DAI (some of which is quite tough, and represents how DAI should have been all the way through). But eh, it's water under the bridge and DAD is obviously going to be ten times worse than DAI, especially with BG3 having kissed the rainbow. Tranny bear fucking on steroids with easy-peasy journo-level gameplay ahoy.
It already became a shitty gay anime fairy land in 2, the decline started over 12 years ago, but Inquis managed to decline from that so who knows what depths of a Portland sewer Dreadwolf will fall to.

It'll never ever be like DA:O again. Nothing they make will be.

Last edited:

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Everyone acting like Knights of the Chalice and Risen didn't come out the very same year.

Risen come from very different family of games, and Knights of the Chalice...even today is very niche product, without influence on anything. I'm sorry :(

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
Everyone acting like Knights of the Chalice and Risen didn't come out the very same year.
1) We're talking about a game so niche that even 90% (or more) of Codex didn't play it.
2) Risen was definitely not a bad game but definitely worse than DA:O mainly because half of the game took place in boring and uninteresting dungeons with the same enemies.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
DA:O was okay. Even at the time, I didn't like the cooldown-based ability change (vs. Vancian casting), the graphics were mediocre models covered in copious amounts of blood, and the story seemed to be a retread of better written fiction, but there was still a fair bit of depth, some of the origins (especially the dwarves) were interesting, and it felt like the writers were willing to at least take some risks narratively. It and ME felt, to me, like the last Bioware games that were actual games and not just cash grabs with diversity checkboxes and romances.

(I know some people liked ME2, and it definitely had better combat than ME1, but at the cost of pretty much everything else imo)

In other news, my wife is loving BG3 and yet her enthusiasm for DA4 has not waned. I will be slitting my wrists shortly.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I never understood why people in here liked Dragon Age: Origins, it's so fucking boring, the combat is fucking shit, nothing but the same enemies trash fight after trash fight, the art style is fucking dogshit...nothing but brown everywhere. Bioware devs read the Gayme of Thrones shit and thought that we gotta make gritty grimdark crap too.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I never understood why people in here liked Dragon Age: Origins, it's so fucking boring, the combat is fucking shit, nothing but the same enemies trash fight after trash fight, the art style is fucking dogshit...nothing but brown everywhere. Bioware devs read the Gayme of Thrones shit and thought that we gotta make gritty grimdark crap too.
You had nothing better to play at that time.

turkishronin

Arcane
It had sex in it

9ted6

Educated
Its fame was well earned, as well as its infamy when Dragon Age 2 and full sacle lgbtqwuasdha+tranny-developement arrived.
No surprise that the DA subreddit largely hates DAO and has people seriously saying DA2 was better, inclusiversity among the reasons why.

Last edited:
Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I know some people liked ME2, and it definitely had better combat than ME1
People need to stop saying this just because its a more "fluid" experience. ME2 combat is actually shit, it's below average even compared to other mindnumbing cover shooters. ME3 combat is better than ME1 (even if I prefer ME1 combat still) because its a much improved ME2. Have you played ME2? Have you played it on the hardest difficulty where you sit in the same spot for minutes at a time waiting for cooldowns on abilities to strip away 2 layers of shields against EVERY single enemy because you have no ammo? The only variety is one type of enemy having shields, the other having barriers and all having armour. There is still no tactical thinking in ME2 either. 1 fight. Only 1 kind of requires that. Tali's recruitment mission final fight is the only one where you need to control your squad mates.

You have to take the same companions all the time because of these shields. There was only one mission I was able to take someone new (the Dead Reaper, brought Grunt to deal with the hundreds of husks). What a terrible fucking game ME2 is all around except for insulated character stories/missions, which are only good from a vapid soap opera point of view. Even then, not all of them hit the spot even for that.

If you think that's better than ME1, you're brain dead. At least ME1 can be fun in a cartoony way with how biotics & melee work through shields, spectre weapons and explosive rounds which send enemies flying. It also doesn't keep you behind cover the whole mission. The level design is done in a way where story/gameplay sections transition seamlessly, so you're doing all that dumb, fun combat in open areas. ME2 is designed in completely opposite.

Last edited:

skaraher

Cipher
It also ripped of Warhammer 40k of all thing

9ted6

Educated
No more than 40k already ripped off everything else. It does the Fade just different enough that I think it stands on its own.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
No more than 40k already ripped off everything else. It does the Fade just different enough that I think it stands on its own.

I agree. Aesthetically the Fade was pretty amazing and genuinely dream-like, very much like the "astral plane" as described by occultists. One could argue that it got tedious, but that was more to do with some of the gameplay there dragging where it really needn't have.

DA:O lore was pretty solid, and yes the GoT aspect of it was part of the draw - it felt dark and a bit dour, and the colour palette suited it.

In fact the way it gradually got butchered to the dinky level of DA:I was a great shame. What started out as a dark and gritty world turned into a world of rainbow puke.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hah, rainbow puke. Great way to describe how nu-BioWare fags dress.

"Give them the pokey poke."

Aarwolf

Learned
I know some people liked ME2, and it definitely had better combat than ME1
People need to stop saying this just because its a more "fluid" experience. ME2 combat is actually shit, it's below average even compared to other mindnumbing cover shooters. ME3 combat is better than ME1 (even if I prefer ME1 combat still) because its a much improved ME2. Have you played ME2? Have you played it on the hardest difficulty where you sit in the same spot for minutes at a time waiting for cooldowns on abilities to strip away 2 layers of shields against EVERY single enemy because you have no ammo? The only variety is one type of enemy having shields, the other having barriers and all having armour. There is still no tactical thinking in ME2 either. 1 fight. Only 1 kind of requires that. Tali's recruitment mission final fight is the only one where you need to control your squad mates.

You have to take the same companions all the time because of these shields. There was only one mission I was able to take someone new (the Dead Reaper, brought Grunt to deal with the hundreds of husks). What a terrible fucking game ME2 is all around except for insulated character stories/missions, which are only good from a vapid soap opera point of view. Even then, not all of them hit the spot even for that.

If you think that's better than ME1, you're brain dead. At least ME1 can be fun in a cartoony way with how biotics & melee work through shields, spectre weapons and explosive rounds which send enemies flying. It also doesn't keep you behind cover the whole mission. The level design is done in a way where story/gameplay sections transition seamlessly, so you're doing all that dumb, fun combat in open areas. ME2 is designed in completely opposite.

No one is playing ME for its combat. We know the combat is shit and we play it for other reasons (for me it was ME1 worldbuilding and story) or we don't play it at all. ME could be and maybe should be tv series like Stargate or Battlestar Galactica and that's it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's funny because as the combat got progressively better everything else got worse.

The combat in ME3 is great and in Andromeda actually excellent. But writing in ME3 is p. bad and in Andromeda it's not even professional anymore. Just a bunch of diversity hire zoomers typing some shit on their iPhones.

Dishonoredbr

Erudite
What's the consensus on Dragon Age Origins after all this? Was it always shit? Fans of Inquisition and Deadgame defenders say it was always progressive and woke, or that Origins was boring and awful to play.

Not sure what to think. Most of the same people who made Origins made Inquisition, but I can't remember anything in Origins that stands out as pandering and even late stage Gaider wasn't as aggressive as that gendermancer shit above. It was repetitive and did get old after some time looking back on it though.
I think is perfectly good game that does what tries to do very well. Solid 8/10 game , if that make sense. But it lack a certain ''spark'' that show up in some places (like the Landmeet). It has the best combat and mechanics in the series imo , not a bar a high tho..

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Mass Effect 3 coop was actually fun to play for a few hours but it rapidly became repetitive
I played it for almost a year, on and off.

One of the best co-ops to this day even tho it's EA and even tho it's MTX-based. The greed was still a little baby back in the day.

9ted6

Educated

and yes the GoT aspect of it was part of the draw - it felt dark and a bit dour, and the colour palette suited it.
Much as people complained it ripped off GoT I didn't see it, unless they think any kind of medieval political intrigue = GoT. If anything I liked that it managed to be dark without being as stupid as GoT can be. If GRRM wrote the human noble origin your dad would be the villain, he'd kill your mom in front of you for shock value, and there'd be several unskippable cutscenes of him and Howe buttfucking each other.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
How exactly did it rip off GoT? Other than it being dark and the betrayal in the beginning of DA:O I don't see that many similarities. And even that is related in the sense that it's something that can happen in the GoT world.

Are people comparing The Night Watch with the Grey Wardens? Both are some obscure knight order but they as well don't have that much in common.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom