Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I wonder if the super elf wank was always the intended lore and all the religions were always meant to conclude with elf mages having been involved with literally everything.
Leaving things like the chantry up to interpretation or having pros and cons was too much for the shit writers to handle. They had to portray "church bad, elf good".

Tranquility went from a topic up for debate, to being a fate worse than death in DA2, to something the church knew and purposefully caused in DA:I.

Shit pozzed writers across the board. They wanted an "awesome button" and also had to one up every part of the story. Chantry was bad enough, but the Elves and Dwarves reveals are literally universe altering bullshit. That was not in DA:O and was not a plan considering they didn't plan to make sequels.
Inquisition ruined every remaining interesting part of Dragon Age lore that could make biodrones uncomfortable and push them even a little out of their safe space.

Tranquility - no problem, some spirit in the Fade can touch a mind of a Tranquil and its cured, simple as that. Seekers knew it all along but did't tell because their leader was an asshole.

Templars addiction to Lyrium - with love and support of your friends you can just toughen it up and be clean and free.
Don't forget

Tranquility - it's actually a living hell for the person and they suffer constantly, it doesn't protect them from demons, the Chantry knows but still does it to make them slightly more efficient slave workers

Lyrium - does literally nothing for the templars and their abilities, exclusively used to make them crack addicts for extra profits
I wonder if the super elf wank was always the intended lore and all the religions were always meant to conclude with elf mages having been involved with literally everything.
Leaving things like the chantry up to interpretation or having pros and cons was too much for the shit writers to handle. They had to portray "church bad, elf good".

Tranquility went from a topic up for debate, to being a fate worse than death in DA2, to something the church knew and purposefully caused in DA:I.

Shit pozzed writers across the board. They wanted an "awesome button" and also had to one up every part of the story. Chantry was bad enough, but the Elves and Dwarves reveals are literally universe altering bullshit. That was not in DA:O and was not a plan considering they didn't plan to make sequels.
Inquisition ruined every remaining interesting part of Dragon Age lore that could make biodrones uncomfortable and push them even a little out of their safe space.

Tranquility - no problem, some spirit in the Fade can touch a mind of a Tranquil and its cured, simple as that. Seekers knew it all along but did't tell because their leader was an asshole.

Templars addiction to Lyrium - with love and support of your friends you can just toughen it up and be clean and free.

The Culling - darkspawn blood poisoning that eventually makes Wardens crazy - don't worry about it, DA:O protagonist is working on a cure right now.
Qunari - an inclusive bunch.
One of the stupidest pieces of Inquisition Qunari lore was where they occupied a region and it was turned into a big fun commune where everyone was happy, then the Chantry came in and just started killing every civilian they found and the Qunari could've beaten them but chose not to and left because they didn't want more people getting hurt.

You can totally see Sten from Origins or even the leader from 2 telling you all of that. They sure fit the image of pacifistic and noble hippies who write gay bondage manuals.

I wonder how bad it's gonna get in 4, if 4 ever comes.
Qunari should've stayed more of a mystery culture and race, only known through various tales and accounts or Sten's descriptions.
I am convinced they didn't leave it at that because they wanted zoophiles and all the retard millenial biowhore fans to have an animal to "romance". I have to this day refused to watch the Iron Bull romance scene.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Ironbull was the anti-qunari, right down to lecturing you if you found it odd his 2nd command was a woman cosplaying as a man.

Because sure, the race that was all about castes and everyone having a specific role would have 0 issues with dudes becoming women and vice versa. Nevermind that sten had plenty of "get back 2 kitchen" and "lol wimmin trying to be men, what retards" type banter with female party members, no doubt he has seen the light since then.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Ironbull was the anti-qunari, right down to lecturing you if you found it odd his 2nd command was a woman cosplaying as a man.

Because sure, the race that was all about castes and everyone having a specific role would have 0 issues with dudes becoming women and vice versa. Nevermind that sten had plenty of "get back 2 kitchen" and "lol wimmin trying to be men, what retards" type banter with female party members, no doubt he has seen the light since then.
Leliana makes fun of Sten on several occassions.
Morrigan flirts with him, because Morrigan...
More than likely she tries to test that stone cold stoicism of his.

Falksi

Arcane
The joy I'm getting from DA:DW is knowing that half of Bioware will be looking at BG3 and telling the other half "See! told you we should have stayed turn-based!"

BG3's success will undoubtably be upsetting the apple cart at Bioware, and making a lot of them question their choices for this game. It's gonna be a unholy mess that will be pushing action based combat and LGBT agendas at a time when both are starting to go out of fashion.

Hopefully this will be the failure which kills Bioware off.

The Witcher 2 kinda killed Bioware already and motivated a change of tone from the whimsical DA2 to the more serious one of DAI. DAI not being a megahit and then the massive success of The Witcher 3 (which kinda became one of those "game of the generation" things) also must've killed their morale. Baldur's Gate 3's success is a different story, much worse... it was "their" game and "their" series, but I don't think there's anyone left at Bioware that remembers or even likes those first two games. They've been a dead man walking for almost a decade now.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
The joy I'm getting from DA:DW is knowing that half of Bioware will be looking at BG3 and telling the other half "See! told you we should have stayed turn-based!"
I don't think so.
More than likely they'll just double down on their LGBT and Woke grift with no concern for making and designing a proper rpg, like in the good old days.
That's the thing with Woke. They are incapable of admitting their mistakes and accept that they are wrong.

Camel

Scholar

Sten probably got fake horns becoming a transhorned Qunari.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Iron bull is much sadder than just being anti-qunari because it really depends on how you treat him whether he'll go against his religious convictions. I find it sad that he'll give them up so easily just because you were nice to him.

BG3's success will undoubtably be upsetting the apple cart at Bioware, and making a lot of them question their choices for this game. It's gonna be a unholy mess that will be pushing action based combat and LGBT agendas at a time when both are starting to go out of fashion.

Elden Ring hit 20 million at the start of this year. I think it’s safe to say that action combat is not, in any way at all, on the way out. Baldur’s Gate 3, which hasn’t even kind of hit those numbers, doesn’t show action combat is on the way out in any form whatsoever. Was massively outsold by Cyberpunk 2077 and Diablo 4 too. What Baldur’s Gate 3 however does show is that the type of game BioWare had abandoned, most likely because they believed it couldn’t sell enough, can hit the numbers BioWare wants given its outside everything they’ve ever made.

It is however funny that BioWare is off chasing what they’re chasing, which has kept this game (some version of a Dragon Age 4 anyways) in development since 2015, (still with no release date) and in the meantime someone basically made a old style BioWare game and got a bigger hit out of it than BioWare has ever had. And they did it with turn-based combat, so it was even less action oriented than the RTS influenced gameplay BioWare did in ‘98.

Even if this game fails, I can’t see it killing BioWare. They might get smaller. But EA could also just come in and say: Hey, these people over here just at a hit by doing what you used to do; go back to doing that. And if that doesn’t happen, someone at BioWare pitching that idea to whoever seems likely. Hell, they probably pitched that type of game once the BG3 numbers started coming in and kept going up.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Qunari should've stayed more of a mystery culture and race, only known through various tales and accounts or Sten's descriptions.

I think it would be interesting to see such a communist, totalitarian society as a contrast to the degenerate aristocracy of Ferelden and Orleais. This would provide a real opportunity for talented screenwriters to show off their skills.For example - Ferelden, weakened by the war, is invaded by both Orleais and the Qunari. Anora and her court are hiding in the Wardens' castle that we saw in one of the DLCs, while the rest of the country is divided. In the West we have an old-new system with similar problems, while the East is facing cultural change. What will the Wardens do? The Qunari would be powerful allies against Blight, while Orleais, on the other hand, would not be such a shock to the people of Ferelden. Thirdly, they could try to resurrect the old monarchy, but does Ferelden deserve to be revived?

Eh...

Lodis

Educated
How do you go from this....
b692W0C.jpg

To this?
SQMeggR.jpg

La vie sexuelle

Learned
How do you go from this....
b692W0C.jpg

To this?
SQMeggR.jpg

To be fair, a story about anime thieves could have been interesting if it had been handled well (especially with the turn-based system). It wouldn't have much to do with Origins, but at least it would have some value to someone.

For whom is DA4 valuable in its current form?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron

Leliana makes fun of Sten on several occassions.
Morrigan flirts with him, because Morrigan...
More than likely she tries to test that stone cold stoicism of his.
Yup Morrigan does it for fun and games whilst Sten eyerolls.

She does ends up walking it back though when he's had enough and calls her bluff:

Falksi

Arcane

Elden Ring hit 20 million at the start of this year. I think it’s safe to say that action combat is not, in any way at all, on the way out. Baldur’s Gate 3, which hasn’t even kind of hit those numbers, doesn’t show action combat is on the way out in any form whatsoever. Was massively outsold by Cyberpunk 2077 and Diablo 4 too. What Baldur’s Gate 3 however does show is that the type of game BioWare had abandoned, most likely because they believed it couldn’t sell enough, can hit the numbers BioWare wants given its outside everything they’ve ever made.

It is however funny that BioWare is off chasing what they’re chasing, which has kept this game (some version of a Dragon Age 4 anyways) in development since 2015, (still with no release date) and in the meantime someone basically made a old style BioWare game and got a bigger hit out of it than BioWare has ever had. And they did it with turn-based combat, so it was even less action oriented than the RTS influenced gameplay BioWare did in ‘98.

Even if this game fails, I can’t see it killing BioWare. They might get smaller. But EA could also just come in and say: Hey, these people over here just at a hit by doing what you used to do; go back to doing that. And if that doesn’t happen, someone at BioWare pitching that idea to whoever seems likely. Hell, they probably pitched that type of game once the BG3 numbers started coming in and kept going up.
Action certainly still has a place, but the action trend is dipping for sure. Almost every poll which I'm seeing in mainstream Twitter & Facebook groups is leaning towards turn-based now. Usually around a 60-40 split in favour of turn-based.

Final Fantasy 16 sold 3m copies last I looked, Baldurs Gate 3 is now nearing 10m copies sold on Steam alone. FF is a far more established franchise too, with a far bigger established fanbase.

Stuff like Souls games are a different breed all together as they are challenge-action games, not just action games. And Dreadwolf won't hold any appeal to challenge-based gamers.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Final Fantasy 16 sold 3m copies last I looked, Baldurs Gate 3 is now nearing 10m copies sold on Steam alone.
That's not a fair comparison, FF16 was released on one platform and not the most available one (PS5).

If you want an actual comparison try Cyberpunk 2077. It's latest expansion, Phantom Liberty sold 3 million copies in mere days since release and on PC alone.

You think BG3 will reach 20-30 million sold copies?

Delterius

Arcane
Action certainly still has a place, but the action trend is dipping for sure. Almost every poll which I'm seeing in mainstream Twitter & Facebook groups is leaning towards turn-based now. Usually around a 60-40 split in favour of turn-based.
I think you are all making the same mistake BioWare made 10 years ago. People don't recommend BG3 on the basis of wether it's turn-based. They do it on the basis of what sort of fantasy the game offers, and how well crafted it is. All the media surrounding Larian and BG3 is either memes that the dutch were insane enough to add or strange and unexpected reactivity. The Larian devs are presented as prescient gods who 'knows their players' want to fuck the bear and stealthly kill astarion in their first meeting. The enduring theme is the same as always: BG3 is a product long in the making, with blood and know how and tech built up on years of making 'the same game' over and over again.

People didn't buy Pathfinder because they want a specific form of D&D presented in a specific way. They bought into starting off as mortals and then becoming angels or demons in a holy war against an invasion from hell. Once they are hooked by the fantasy, they'll learn how to play the game and they grow to enjoy it. BioWare fans like their character driven soap operas, that's why the buy the games not the button awesome. Skyrim fans like to fuck around and do whatever, not the intricacies of Bethesda's terrible tech. And so on.

What limited BioWare's potential is this false dichotomy between 'nerds who like dice rolls' and 'normies who grew up on sonic'. Yeah, trends exist. But today more than ever people have ten trillion games to play. If you want to standout as an AA or an AAA developer, you do so through sheer craftsmanship. And the more you chase trends, the more you cannibalize your own dev base. Case in point, there's nobody left at BioWare to point and laugh at. All the people who genuinely believed that the company could only survive by chasing Call of Duty have long since left for greener pastures.

Falksi

Arcane
I think you are all making the same mistake BioWare made 10 years ago. People don't recommend BG3 on the basis of wether it's turn-based. They do it on the basis of what sort of fantasy the game offers, and how well crafted it is. All the media surrounding Larian and BG3 is either memes that the dutch were insane enough to add or strange and unexpected reactivity. The Larian devs are presented as prescient gods who 'knows their players' want to fuck the bear and stealthly kill astarion in their first meeting. The enduring theme is the same as always: BG3 is a product long in the making, with blood and know how and tech built up on years of making 'the same game' over and over again.

People didn't buy Pathfinder because they want a specific form of D&D presented in a specific way. They bought into starting off as mortals and then becoming angels or demons in a holy war against an invasion from hell. Once they are hooked by the fantasy, they'll learn how to play the game and they grow to enjoy it. BioWare fans like their character driven soap operas, that's why the buy the games not the button awesome. Skyrim fans like to fuck around and do whatever, not the intricacies of Bethesda's terrible tech. And so on.

What limited BioWare's potential is this false dichotomy between 'nerds who like dice rolls' and 'normies who grew up on sonic'. Yeah, trends exist. But today more than ever people have ten trillion games to play. If you want to standout as an AA or an AAA developer, you do so through sheer craftsmanship. And the more you chase trends, the more you cannibalize your own dev base. Case in point, there's nobody left at BioWare to point and laugh at. All the people who genuinely believed that the company could only survive by chasing Call of Duty have long since left for greener pastures.
All I'm seeing on Facebook JRPG groups of all things is people literally using BG3 as a flagship for turn-based RPGs over action.

Dread Wolf will basically be action-based BG in terms of similar style setting, target audience, inspiration etc. Let's see how the sales compare.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Final Fantasy 16 sold 3m copies last I looked, Baldurs Gate 3 is now nearing 10m copies sold on Steam alone. FF is a far more established franchise too, with a far bigger established fanbase.

Stuff like Souls games are a different breed all together as they are challenge-action games, not just action games. And Dreadwolf won't hold any appeal to challenge-based gamers.
Hmm...
So turn-based is gaining ground over real-time?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom