Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Combat in DA in general was a chore and dragon fights were more a thing of attrition rather than strategy.

Bioware have been consistent in the animu-ification of their stuff though. They belong to a generation which was hit hard by how massive Final Fantasy 7 got at some point, together with Black Isle.

They didn't even do animu-ification right though. The proper way to do it is to adopt the character tropes and giant titty fetishes.
The sister of the PC has big titties in DA2 though.
Maybe that influenced Piranha Bytes for Risen 3.

Combat in DA in general was a chore and dragon fights were more a thing of attrition rather than strategy.

Bioware have been consistent in the animu-ification of their stuff though. They belong to a generation which was hit hard by how massive Final Fantasy 7 got at some point, together with Black Isle.

They didn't even do animu-ification right though. The proper way to do it is to adopt the character tropes and giant titty fetishes.
Only in Varric's version of the events. Normally she has average boobs. She's kinda cool though, I like her more than the brother.

J1M

Arcane
Best thing about that trailer is how the Arishock battle is one of THE single worse battles in gaming history. No matter what your class or setup, it's boring as fuck.
I remember how tedious was single combat against Arishock as a mage.
They multiplied that experience by x100 in Inquisition where every boss or even common enemy was an enourmous hp bloat AND level scaling.
Not what I experienced. Even dragons died in 10 seconds. Was hilarious. Maybe you were bad at ability combos or something.

Falksi

Arcane
I don't remember Dragon Age combat ever being all that interesting. The aesthetics were also bad.

Flashy anime shit + lame looking armor design + oversized weapons because apparently gamers have bad eye sight.

The only interesting fights were the occasional scripted ones like dragons.
Origins on Nightmare was pretty good. Some of the battles were well structured and had environmental hazards to consider, and the combos such as cone of cold and stonefist were required to get through some sections. Wasn't anything amazing like, but it had it's moments and was WAY better than what followed.

Sarathiour

Cipher
DAO also had friendly fire, you could not just spam shit, you had to somewhat aim and correctly position yourself and your party.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy

How to tell you never played the game.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
DA:Origins is one of the biggest/earliest examples of Hard been the actual Normal difficulty. Nightmare was OK, but some enemies were just overtuned or never balanced like the Revenants (especially in Redcliffe as you tend to go there early) or all of the Dragons except the final one. The game would have been way better if you could choose individual parts of each difficulty like most CRPGs let you do. Let me have full friendly fire and the advanced AI without the insane stats buff/debuffs. It doesn't help that it had the MMO trinity combat design that making your fighter's defenses pointless is actually ruining the whole encounter design and makes every battle either kite fest or nuke with combos before enemies even engage.

The other two game were terrible with HP/damage bloat so playing anything other than Normal was retarded.

9ted6

Educated
I don't remember Dragon Age combat ever being all that interesting. The aesthetics were also bad.

Flashy anime shit + lame looking armor design + oversized weapons because apparently gamers have bad eye sight.

The only interesting fights were the occasional scripted ones like dragons.
Origins wasn't very flashy at all in combat I would say. It was slow and plodding, but there was some impact to it. DA2's when it became a twitchy Dark Souls 3 situation where every character and enemy jumps and spins around all the time.

The aesthetic was alright in some places and bad in others. Some of the armor and weapons look good, some of them look goofy and cartoonified. I hear it's because they shifted DA from a weeb wuxia fantasy to western medieval around 2005 when the WHFB RPG and especially WoW were popular so they changed their aesthetics to a blending of those.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I still remember it being hilarious for the mage class in DA2 to have these fancy kungfu spell slinging moves, and it takes like a million of them to bring down even your basic enemies because everyone had HP bloat or something.

Elttharion

Learned

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I wonder how art style will change, given their latest investemnt in anime faggotry and comic degeneracy.

"Do you think God stays in heaven because he too lives in fear of what he has created?

This might be the most digusting thing I have ever watched. I randomly paused the video and the first thing I saw was a nigger kissing a male dwarf. JFC.

I understand God.

Ryzer

Arcane
How did we go from this over the top edgy concept art:
dragonageorigins_poster_casteless_dwarf_clean.jpg
dragonageorigins_poster_city_elf_clean.jpg

to this:
dragon-age-absolution-s1-e1-00-10-52-20-copy-1668100293804.jpg

Soy? StarBucks? Trans?

That ain't concept art, that's just promotional art plain and simple. I've never liked digital coloring so both look like shit to me tbh, but the one below is the absolute state of american animation. They are slowly coping with the fact that they lost the cultural war and it's time to give up and ape anime and manga.

That said, I dig the tarot card style for DAI, I wish games had aesthetics like these.

Dragon-Age-Inquisition-Tarot-Cards-Cropped-e1623255223432.png

Shaja

Educated

to this:

Soy? StarBucks? Trans?

2 theories:

1. It´s a dyke propaganda show. This art style may attract kids. So once all the kids become gay, there won´t be any childbirth in the future. Just like what George Soros planned.

2. Dragon Age (TM) brand is not popular at all. So this art style similar to Legend of Korra may attract rule 34 "artists" and they can do free marketing for you.

to this:

Soy? StarBucks? Trans?

2 theories:

1. It´s a dyke propaganda show. This art style may attract kids. So once all the kids become gay, there won´t be any childbirth in the future. Just like what George Soros planned.

2. Dragon Age (TM) brand is not popular at all. So this art style similar to Legend of Korra may attract rule 34 "artists" and they can do free marketing for you.
Except kids are watching anime now, almost exclusively, and most of the times because it ain't american. This is just a wine aunt thing. Much like fat neckbeards watch and consume cartoons for little kids, wine aunts watch and consume this type of thing.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

to this:

Soy? StarBucks? Trans?

2 theories:

Except kids are watching anime now, almost exclusively, and most of the times because it ain't american. This is just a wine aunt thing. Much like fat neckbeards watch and consume cartoons for little kids, wine aunts watch and consume this type of thing.

Let''s go further - it's show for wine aunites daughters.

They grew up in homes of single mothers (or where the father's role was very weak), where Disney was the main educational tool, as well as a source of consumer values and aspirations. Think of the role Disney had in shaping the "Tumblr sensibility." Now add the change forced by the elite, who saw Disneyland and the women who visited it as a model of a new society.

There's also an underlying obsession with being kind and well meaning, even if you're not like that irl. It permeates american culture in general not just pop culture, and it goes beyond just good manners... But to be fair, I'd blame germanic autism on that one.

Myobi

Liturgist
How did we go from this over the top edgy concept art
A broodmother is a giant, tentacled, and sessile ghoul capable of spawning vast numbers of darkspawn in a manner reminiscent of an insect queen.

10304210-1396944683.png

“First day, they come and catch everyone. Second day, they beat us and eat some for meat. Third day, the men are all gnawed on again. Fourth day, we wait and fear for our fate. Fifth day, they return and it's another girl's turn. Sixth day, her screams we hear in our dreams. Seventh day, she grew as in her mouth they spew. Eighth day, we hated as she is violated. Ninth day, she grins and devours her kin. Now she does feast, as she's become the beast. Now you lay and wait, for their screams will haunt you in your dreams. ” ―Hespith's poem, describing how broodmothers are created

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom