Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming Fall 2024

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
And they are, to a small degree. These conquests usually mostly affected the upper levels of society, unless the conquerer brought in boys from home en masse.

Semiurge

Cipher
Yeah, DAO had pretty neat options, apart from kill demon, save a child. Trading little girl's body to the desire demon, bargaining for connor's soul, selling elves to Tevinter, Loghain's fate, after all. No bioware sequels came even close to such choices. In inquisition you literally have only good outcomes and praises from all around you.
I don't remember who it was, but one of the BioWare devs mentioned some time ago on Twitter (tweets now deleted) how he didn't believe that players should be allowed to make morally questionable choices in a game. Paging Roguey in case he knows who it was, but yeah. Peak clown world.

Authoritative left activists at it again. A few decades back giving players a choice would've been applauded as great writing. Now they're afraid that it would give the players "ideas" that would combat the programming. What is that if not the sign of attempted mind control, masked as concern? Totalitarian shit.

You guys (probably) haven't noticed, but apparently the biggest-thirst trap so far is the old white dude, to the point where he's raking in the fanart/rule 34 and is even... Kotaku's official husbando?

View attachment 51131

What is happening?

:shredder:
People would rather fuck the old decrepit white man instead of the diverse characters

What about Lucanis? He's white, but also bland. Looks like Blackwall's skinnier brother.

lucanis.jpg

How is this white? He looks like an arab to me

He looks more spanish/italian than arab(don't fucking tell me there's no difference)

His surname is also Dellamorte apparently (which is italian sounding, although in italian it would be Della Morte)
Josephine surname in Inquisiton is Montilyet. Purest white European stock:

images

They shadowed her philtrum too much, it gives her a harelipped appearance. And the forehead also looks too sloped and narrow. What is it with western game devs accenting the lower half of a woman's face? That was half-rhetoric, since I'm certain why they do it. They're deliberately steering away from neonatalist features, those have always been the key to female attractiveness - big forehead, big eyes and lips, a small nose and a narrow jaw. Theirs is the recipe for manfaced females.

Why does Valve allow this? Of all the big gaming platforms they seem like a big outlier in this regard.
Steam forums has most of same moderation tools as other forums. The difference is that developers actually have to pay a person to delete all these individual threads on Steam forums, instead of having a bot or "unpaid" janny do it.

They can't keep up lol.
Same tools but not the same rules.
On reddit you get permaban for "hate speech" calling a character tranny.
On steam I actually got my reviews and posting rights unbanned by steam admins several times, since criticizing pronouns & what not does not break steam rules, and those override any local mods bullshit.

Steam/Valve must be getting a lot of heat for that from activists, you bet. I hope they won't bend over.

Skinwalker

*teleports inside you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Biowhore has changed, and it hasn't changed. It has become a grotesque parody of its former self, but all the decline was there from the very beginning. It was just... subdued, to some degree. You wouldn't look at the cast of companions in Baldur's Gate 1 and think "this was made by based tradcons".

It's like the flanderization graphic, but if the guy was a goofy asshole from the very start.

Camel

Scholar
Dragon Age: The Veilguard strips your RPG party down to two companions, but they'll be "deeper" with a lot more banter
"Two's company, three's a crowd," the saying goes, unless the first two are warriors and the third one is a priest, in which case the superior proverb is surely "three's a moderately balanced squad, two's a massive liability"? Here to put such kitchen wisdom to the test is BioWare's Dragon Age: The Veilguard, which "only" allows you to bring two companions into the fray, one fewer than 2014's Dragon Age: Inquisition. It's another indication that this will be more biffy action game than thinky party-based RPG.
V7yLxkn.png

Shaja

Educated
You guys (probably) haven't noticed, but apparently the biggest-thirst trap so far is the old white dude, to the point where he's raking in the fanart/rule 34 and is even... Kotaku's official husbando?

View attachment 51131

What is happening?

People would rather fuck the old decrepit white man instead of the diverse characters

What about Lucanis? He's white, but also bland. Looks like Blackwall's skinnier brother.

lucanis.jpg

AFAIK he´s supposed to be form Antiva. ANd Antinva is based on Spain as Orlais is based on France.

Most Spaniards have Arabic and Persian roots due to Al-Andalus colony. But they consider themselves as white.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
On a more general note, there are also other devs that have occasionally talked about how most players don't go for evil playthroughs hence in turn fewer resources being allocated for evil content. Which is a travesty imho, but yeah.
The issue with an evil playthrough is the belief that players "miss out" on content: being evil means you sacrifice stuff like a potential companion, an item, quests, etc, because you did something that feels like a "bad thing". It's both related to game design and also in the case of rpgs with the satanic panic movement caused by conservatives: designers have more or less forced themselves into designing stuff for the "hero".
Bishop and One-of-Many in NWN, Viconia, Edwin, Korgan, Sarevok in BG2, Minthara in BG3, Geoffrey from Arcanum. It is just a matter developers' skill.

Semiurge

Cipher
Dragon Age: The Veilguard strips your RPG party down to two companions, but they'll be "deeper" with a lot more banter
"Two's company, three's a crowd," the saying goes, unless the first two are warriors and the third one is a priest, in which case the superior proverb is surely "three's a moderately balanced squad, two's a massive liability"? Here to put such kitchen wisdom to the test is BioWare's Dragon Age: The Veilguard, which "only" allows you to bring two companions into the fray, one fewer than 2014's Dragon Age: Inquisition. It's another indication that this will be more biffy action game than thinky party-based RPG.
V7yLxkn.png

Nothing says "deeper and the most banter ever" than a picture where the companions look as if they've been forced to work together and they despise each other. It conveys that omnipresent silent fear and passive aggression from so many leftist gatherings.

It could be a working premise if the companions were diverse, for real like in Origins. Now they only look different, but beneath their various levels of melanin beats a rebellious heart, urging them to root out oppression where ever it may be found.

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
Nothing says "deeper and the most banter ever" than a picture where the companions look as if they've only been forced to work together. It conveys that omnipresent silent fear and passive aggression from so many leftist gatherings.
The companions sure look diverse and there is only one white guy.

9ted6

Educated
Dragon Age then: Embark on a classic journey to save the world from evil.

Dragon Age now:

View attachment 51168

Apparently she's one of the writers that BioWare fired last year.

There was supposed to be some sort of boycott over the firings but EA shills said it wasn't very "fanlike" and the fandom agreed to give the friendly megacorp more money.

It's facepalms all the way down.

:deathclaw:
I hate twitter brainrot speak so much.

VerSacrum

Educated

View attachment 51131

What is happening?

lucanis.jpg

AFAIK he´s supposed to be form Antiva. ANd Antinva is based on Spain as Orlais is based on France.

Most Spaniards have Arabic and Persian roots due to Al-Andalus colony. But they consider themselves as white.
Mostly Moors. And they consider themselves Spaniards (or rather Basques, Galicians, Catalans and Andalusians) not "whites".

View attachment 51131

What is happening?

Isn't it ironic that the most desirable person is the white and old John Waters, and not the young and diverse members of the team, including the trans Qunari?
Gaider pushing back timidly against the monster he helped create:

Gaider is like when Kant criticized Fichte, but even less self-consciously and complimentarily without a sense of personal responsibility.

Hasn't Gaider gone on record before as regretting the BG2 romances or have I imagined it?

Interesting to see him stick his head above the parapet nonetheless. Opprobrium incoming.

As an aside it must be maddening to have to state your clear dislike for something in such couched terms. We are very fortunate here in some ways.

It is not by accident that I used the comparison with Kant and Fichte.

Kant believed that he had overturned the old metaphysics, including the materialist one, by finding a balance between the ideological nature of knowledge and life practice. However, Fichte and colleagues focused on what ideas govern human life, which for Kant was a distortion of his own theory.

Gaider was generally the scriptwriter of the company that was the first to develop a plot over gameplay mechanisms (at least in the West). He wrote a large part of the world of Origins. Romances enriched all this, but they were not the center of the production process. Besides, he didn't write characters like THAT. He must see the new Drago Age as a distortion of his own concepts.

How should we evaluate this? Well, for Russell and the Vienna Circle, Kant is responsible for creating idealism with all its retardness. For orthodox Kantians, it was possible to continue the master's thoughts without distortions.

It's the same with Gaider and his legacy.

Fair enough. As I thought I got mixed up about that RPS interview with Gaider last year. He started out hating the idea of romances then grew to enjoy them over time is that article's framing but I'd be interested to see an unedited transcript of their conversation. The assertions the article makes seem a little orthogonal to what Gaider actually says at times.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Gaider always was a big bald baby, completely and utterly unable to handle even the slightest criticisms to his work. It was a great joy of old to make him mad at BSN and throw him to a banning spree. Thing got much muchfunnier after DA2 release.
Hb7e7W2.jpeg

Ryzer

Arcane
Gaider always was a big bald baby, completely and utterly unable to handle even the slightest criticisms to his work. It was a great joy of old to make him mad at BSN and throw him to a banning spree. Thing got much muchfunnier after DA2 release.
Hb7e7W2.jpeg
From "Legendary Bioware writer" to literally who?

vota DC

Augur

View attachment 51131

What is happening?

lucanis.jpg

He looks more spanish/italian than arab(don't fucking tell me there's no difference)

His surname is also Dellamorte apparently (which is italian sounding, although in italian it would be Della Morte)
He Is the tanned cousin of Dylan Dog.

BTW the Veilguard Is the spider of Gal's Panic.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
'Deeper with banter' they say and yet less party members to deliver it. Yet another seemingly mixed message from this game. Unless you go out of your way to travel with the companions you hate, nearly everyone will miss 5/7s of that depth. Costly, too, all that V/O, a huge waste of effort and energy. This game ain't looking hot.

Tytus

Arcane
Hb7e7W2.jpeg

After DA2 came out, Gaider wrote on his twitter during the Thankgiving period something to the effect:

"I ate so much, my stomach almost burst/is ready to explode"

So I responded to him:

"Considering you wrote Fenris, please eat some more"

He, at first, liked my tweet. But later realized what I meant, and blocked me.

Still one of my proudest moments interacting with a Bioware dev :P

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
You know, I was thinking about how Bioware's never done a "Daddy" character yet for a romance. About time, I say. Even better than he's skinny and looks like he'd be a slutty bottom in bed.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
V7yLxkn.png
Fine with me to be honest, the two hot white guys are all I need.

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
V7yLxkn.png
Fine with me to be honest, the two hot white guys are all I need.
What happens when top guy like you gets assraped by another two top gays ? (Who are more masculine etc). Would you become bottom?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom