Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
DA2 NPC straight-up calls Leliana a trickster if you mention her. Yeah, I agree Leliana is well-written subversion of your usual religious character in fantasy. Morrigan and her have interesting banter of an atheist and a religious person. She's a born again Andrastian who doesn't shy from using her charms and seduction up to participating in a threesome/foursome if you "harden" her.
Hardening her involves convincing her to give up on religion though. If you don't harden her she has no part in any of that and won't even let you do it on your own if you're romancing her. Only time religion comes up for her when hardened is she'll try to kill you if you poison the sacred ashes but can be talked down, whereas when unhardened she fights you to the death either way if you try it.

There's also changed dialogue. Zevran hits on her and when she's hardened she returns it, even if she's romanced, but if she's not hardened she's disgusted by him whether she's romanced or not. Far as the bi angle goes she seems to be written to prefer men. Other NPCs make fun of her for staring at the male PC all the time, which doesn't happen for a female PC.

So yeah, she's a slutty spy if you convince her to be one, but if you don't she sticks to being a sincerely religious cloister girl. Both of those are fetishes depending on who you ask though. If we're gonna talk DA2 we can't ignore how every returning character gets assassinated, see Anders the flamboyantly gay psycho murderer.
Hardened Leliana is pretty cringe and edgy.
Her normal self is better as someone who legitimately regrets the actions of her past and strives to be a better person through faith.

Camel

Scholar
Hardening her involves convincing her to give up on religion though. If you don't harden her she has no part in any of that and won't even let you do it on your own if you're romancing her. Only time religion comes up for her when hardened is she'll try to kill you if you poison the sacred ashes but can be talked down, whereas when unhardened she fights you to the death either way if you try it.

There's also changed dialogue. Zevran hits on her and when she's hardened she returns it, even if she's romanced, but if she's not hardened she's disgusted by him whether she's romanced or not. Far as the bi angle goes she seems to be written to prefer men. Other NPCs make fun of her for staring at the male PC all the time, which doesn't happen for a female PC.
Non-hardened Leliana and Wynne will attack you if you destroy the Urn of Sacred Ashes, when hardened she warns that she will never forgive you.
So yeah, she's a slutty spy if you convince her to be one, but if you don't she sticks to being a sincerely religious cloister girl.
She's a spy either way but slutty when hardened while she's a sincere believer in the Maker.
If we're gonna talk DA2 we can't ignore how every returning character gets assassinated, see Anders the flamboyantly gay psycho murderer.
Anders wasn't an obvious faggot in Awakening.
Her normal self is better as someone who legitimately regrets the actions of her past and strives to be a better person through faith.
Hardened Leliana is canon in DA: Inquisition. :negative::bioware:

Last edited:

Shin

Cipher
I wish your Touch of Death worked on studios like Bioware, yet it doesn't. I guess your really can't fight Evil with Evil.
It all goes back to the EA vs Activision rivalry. Activision makes COD and has Blizzard, EA makes Battlefield and has BioWare. They even tried to compete with WoW by making SwTor. Fact is as long as Blizzard exists BioWare will exist. The only reason you don't have BioWare making mobile games and card games is they don't have enough employees. If ME:A, Anthem and SwTor were successes EA would have invested more in BioWare but since they all bombed they just keep them arround on life support for the potential comeback. 300 diversity hires won't make a good game.

One thing is funny though, Respawn Enterteinment is making the Jedi soulslikes under the EA umbrella, they might be the damocles sword over BioWares' head. So far they haven't produced a flop so it wouldn't surprise me if they surplanted BioWare as the prime EA-RPG studio.
Although I'm aware of the Jedi games and the fact that they're (moderately?) popular, I don't think there's a lot of overlap between the audience for Bioware RPG's and the 'rpgs' that Respawn is putting out (I really disliked SWJ: Fallen Order and wouldn't consider it a RPG). On the other hand, Bioware has been failing (and flailing) so miserably the last 10-15 years, that it might not be a bad thing if they took over Bioware's franchises. Either way, I have zero expectation of either ActiBlizz or EA developing an RPG I'd be interested in (based on their current output), so it's hard to care.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Anders isn't obvious in 2 either, it's only if you play a man and start flirting with him that he even mentions that anything creative is going on with his sexuality. If you play a woman, you'd never have a clue. And flamboyantly gay? That's an extreme exaggeration.

gruntar

Augur

Anders isn't obvious in 2 either, it's only if you play a man and start flirting with him that he even mentions that anything creative is going on with his sexuality. If you play a woman, you'd never have a clue. And flamboyantly gay? That's an extreme exaggeration.
I believe it was heavily implied that Anders was more than a friend with a guy you had to rescue from templars on his first mission. In Awakening he was 100% hetero, talking how he loves woman and flirting with an elf lady companion.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I believe it was heavily implied that Anders was more than a friend with a guy you had to rescue from templars on his first mission. In Awakening he was 100% hetero, talking how he loves woman and flirting with an elf lady companion.
Indeed.
He was almost a womanizer, very suave and sharp witted.
Does have some pretty hilarious banter with Velanna too.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I believe it was heavily implied that Anders was more than a friend with a guy you had to rescue from templars on his first mission.
Only if you play a man. And I'm not sure if he says that regardless of your relationship with him.

Semiurge

Cipher
DA2 NPC straight-up calls Leliana a trickster if you mention her. Yeah, I agree Leliana is well-written subversion of your usual religious character in fantasy. Morrigan and her have interesting banter of an atheist and a religious person. She's a born again Andrastian who doesn't shy from using her charms and seduction up to participating in a threesome/foursome if you "harden" her.

So yeah, she's a slutty spy if you convince her to be one, but if you don't she sticks to being a sincerely religious cloister girl. Both of those are fetishes depending on who you ask though. If we're gonna talk DA2 we can't ignore how every returning character gets assassinated, see Anders the flamboyantly gay psycho murderer.
Hardened Leliana is pretty cringe and edgy.

Hardening Leliana is an act of corrupting similar to what you can do in Mass Effect 2 in regards to the team members, like Jack for example. You can strengthen her violent and hedonistic side with renegade dialogue. As for Alistair, it is for his own good.

Last edited:

9ted6

Educated
As famously shown in an Angry Joe video where he complained about it, Anders comes onto you if you're a guy and gets extremely pissed if you turn him down. You don't have to flirt with him to trigger it either. There's no mention at all of him being into dudes in Awakening and if anything it's the opposite, he's a womanizer.
Hardening Leliana is an act of corrupting similar to what you can do in Mass Effect 2 in regards to the team members, like Jack for example. You can strengthen her violent and hedonistic side with renegade dialogue. As for Alistair, it is for his own good.
Hardening Leliana's definitely the morally bad option, but it's a lot more debatable with Alistair.

I wish his hardening dialogue was more impartial, I think you tell him something along the lines of "People suck and no one's your friend, get over it" when there should've been an option to convince him to stand up for himself in a more bro way.
She's a spy either way but slutty when hardened while she's a sincere believer in the Maker.
Not a spy anymore technically. With hardening you convince her to go back to it, or if you're a cuck who plays Inquisition.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I've heard these legends about how Anders comes onto you and then gets mad if you reject him, but I've never seen the evidence and I don't remember such a thing when I played it and romanced Isabela instead of him.

9ted6

Educated
I've heard these legends about how Anders comes onto you and then gets mad if you reject him, but I've never seen the evidence and I don't remember such a thing when I played it and romanced Isabela instead of him.
A dialogue with him after a quest requires you to be a dick to him to stop it from making him romanced. If you handle it with a Diplomatic/Friendly option, you're railroaded into him flirting with you and turning him down gives rivalry points.
https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Talk_to_Anders

A dialogue with him after a quest requires you to be a dick to him to stop it from making him romanced. If you handle it with a Diplomatic/Friendly option, you're railroaded into him flirting with you and turning him down gives rivalry points.
This is a common theme where the good resolution to many quests and issues is a romance trigger. It's not just Anders, all romanceable characters are like this. Bioware fans complained and in DAI, at the very least, you get a normal positive reaction and a romance positive reaction most of the times.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Getting rivalry points is also not the same as them getting super mad. It just means they don't like something, but who realistically likes getting rejected? The whole situation seems overblown to me.

Approval and Rivalry unlock different abilities, but it's not as terrible as having them completely leave your party like in the BG games.

Semiurge

Cipher
I wish his hardening dialogue was more impartial, I think you tell him something along the lines of "People suck and no one's your friend, get over it" when there should've been an option to convince him to stand up for himself in a more bro way.

In the words of Robert The Bruce's father in Braveheart: "Now you're ready to be a king".

9ted6

Educated
Getting rivalry points is also not the same as them getting super mad. It just means they don't like something, but who realistically likes getting rejected? The whole situation seems overblown to me.
Because it's not normal if you say hi in a friendly voice to someone that they then ask if they can give you a blowjob. Especially when it's this kinda character shift.

Remember that before DA2 Anders was a suave, calm womanizer type, and now he's aggressively gay for Hawke, emotionally unstable and insane.

Morrigan or Zevran flirting with you makes sense because it fits their characters. If you returned from getting the darkspawn blood and Duncan told you how hot you look in your armor, that'd be really strange. Same for Anders.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Nobody offers you a blowjob for saying hi, don't be overdramatic. You just get rivalry points for turning him down (and there's a way to not get any rivalry points) when the situation arises. You get rivalry points if you turn him down as a woman too. Does that mean he's aggressively straight?

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I've started chemically castrating anyone who joins my adventuring parties now. Keeps your mercenary band focused on slaying creatures rather than high school tier relationship drama.

Delterius

Arcane
you're nice to one thirsty guy and he comes onto you smdh

HammyTheFat

Scholar
New white pill just dropped.
Its impossible to find this mod anywhere, I remember using it when I played the game but now all I can find are a bunch of blog posts bitching about it. Based mods only has the white Isabela one.

White+vivienne+mod_459afc_9474303.jpg
As far as I remember, there wasn't an actual mod, or at least I never gave enough of a shit about the awful companions to do anything but bind companion chatter to toggle on a key press just so I could hear more than 0.1% of it.

That was just a photoshop of vivian, it was originally posted on 4chan along with a white version of josephine, the gay mage who's name I can't remember, and cassandra. I think someone also made sera not ugly.

I know this because I used the images to get my account banned from the BSN by spamming them everywhere, though bioware shut down their forums a year or two later anyways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom