Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
This is my prediction: they will plagiarise Earthdawn/Shadowrun and have the mere act of using blood magic weaken the veil further, thus make it no-no for the failguards.
Which is complete nonsense since blood magic is precisely the kind of magic that doesn't require interacting with the Fade, same as with blight magic.
Means my prediction is even MORE likely to come true :smug:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Warrior:

gi_rook_skill_tree.png

Rogue:

gi_exclusive_da_rook-skill-tree-rogue3-far-4k.jpg

Mage:

gi_exclusive_da_rook-skill-tree-mage2-far-4k.jpg
While it sucks that you probably don't get to spread your own ability point or maybe it's gone forever (it's abstract, and you don't know what's the difference between 59 and 61), it's good to see that at level cap you barely touch the entirety of the skill tree.

There is a chance that this game has decent replay ability.

Feel free to do a mental gymnastic saying the DAO RPG system is better. You couldn't.
All Dragon Age games have simple mechanics. I understand the nostalgia makes people believe older things were hardcore, but we were younger and still retarded.
Everything was always exactly like this!

Zanthia

Novice
Why no Asians in Origins? It takes place in not-England, it was 2009 tech with the same faces all over, whatever. Black and Asian elves is to be expected in 2024 and it doesn't break any lore. Origins even had a black elf I think.
There were East Asians in Origins, though. This is their biggest retcon. Orlais was a mix of France and China. Isolde and Liselle look explicitly East Asian, and Marjolaine doesn't not. Then they made them white in the sequels. Celene looks like she could be Anora's sister.

Why is the story for this game such a rip-off of Inquisition? Oh no, you accidentally intervened in a Solas fade ritual! Which means you have to put together a team to...!

But these devs aren't completely uncreative - they've managed to make the combat somehow look even more boring.

Lodis

Educated
Why no Asians in Origins? It takes place in not-England, it was 2009 tech with the same faces all over, whatever. Black and Asian elves is to be expected in 2024 and it doesn't break any lore. Origins even had a black elf I think.
There were East Asians in Origins, though. This is their biggest retcon. Orlais was a mix of France and China. Isolde and Liselle look explicitly East Asian, and Marjolaine doesn't not. Then they made them white in the sequels.
Orlais in Origins is literally presented as fantasy France. There wasn’t a single hint of any East Asian influence anywhere. Using Origin’s notoriously bad character models as “proof” is a braindead take.

Semiurge

Cipher
This looks fine.

Remove the ears, and what is left? Just a plain as vanilla asian woman, wearing clothes that wouldn't look out of place in real life. There's absolutely nothing elfy about her except the ears and the henna tattoo.

Yeh pretty sure it's as transparent as: 'We would like the now wealthy gaming market of Asia to buy our product' and has next to zero in-universe reason. They COULD have done some world building to justify it I suppose, but I doubt they went to that much trouble.

But asians don't care about "representation" of their own races, what they want is pretty characters and extravagance.

As expected,
VsyF1rZ.png
This is my prediction: they will plagiarise Earthdawn/Shadowrun and have the mere act of using blood magic weaken the veil further, thus make it no-no for the failguards.

That's pretty much what was implied in Origins, that blood magic, human sacrifices and general bloodshed and horror damages the veil locally, which leads to hauntings and demon-possessed places.

It's convenient to ignore that Black Cock, sorry, Black Rock - is not the "biggest" entity out there

They handle 8 trillion dollars. Also, they aren't the only investment institution who's involved in applying a type of credit score on the financial market based on "social values".

And Amazon is known to be so woke. They produce The Boys Season 4.

They also produce the likes of Rings of Power. Also, Amazon isn't in the same line of business.

Let's ignore the working condition in their storages, Union busting

Those things are not highest on the priority list for a positive social credit score and are offset by adhering to things like DEI (Diversity-Equity-Inclusion).

But I'd rather be in real world

In the real world that's a typical 'Asian female' design, when created by LGBT activists (disregarding the ears). The same type of activists who are responsible for basically all female character designs in companies like today's Bioware and others in the Western AAA sphere. Carefully designed not to be found too attractive by straight males and to avoid adhering to the East-Asian beauty standard.

Basically everyone except those activists like their characters pretty, but unfortunately it's also what the oppressor class wants. This is why we are where we are today, stuck with average to ugly characters in woke media. Hollywood still largely remains unaffected by it, but companies like Netflix are spearheading a change. Western game development? Overrun.

The problem with """"diversity"""" is the following. If the setting is Asian inspired, African Inspired, middle Eastern Inspired, Mesoamerican, etc is "muh cultural appropriation" so you can only have Europeanesque settings. And the "diversity" can only be archived by """diversifying"""" European cultures hence everything fells the same.

It's not about cultural appropriation, but about correcting historical colonialist wrongs. This is why you wouldn't see significant caucasoid representation in an African setting unless they be the bad guys. The color washing only works one way.

Last edited:

Child of Malkav

Erudite
All Dragon Age games have simple mechanics.
At the very least origins had them and could only go up from there, get better, refine etc. Not remove like they did afterwards. And in a videogame every mechanic is simple, you don't need a PhD to play or finish a game. Was never the case.
So it's not an excuse not to have many mechanics or at least strive to make them better or unique or not remove them if the other cases are not possible.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
The only fantasy setting game that handled introducing east asians even semi-well is probably Warhammer fantasy, specifically Total War, because their map is literally just Earth with fucking Atlantis and they replaced south americans with lizard people (lol).

So of course when they introduce the not-China faction, it's an empire ruled by dragons and shieeet. And because they were pandering to the chinese audience super hard, Cathay is literally the most OP, balls-out strongest, goku-tier human civilization. Lore wise at least. In gameplay they're just kind of okay.

Semiurge

Cipher
That's pretty much what was implied in Origins, that blood magic, human sacrifices and general bloodshed and horror damages the veil locally, which leads to hauntings and demon-possessed places.
Wasn't daemon possession and stuff a result of *any* magic? So plagiarised from Warhammer, as opposed to Earthdawn?

Technically yes, but specifically because the mages were fully in control of themselves in the fade, unlike non-magic types. I think this agency and presence in the fade is supposed to attract spirits and demons, and the mages being in tune with the fade at all times is supposed to make them easier to possess.

Vatnik Wumao
Wasn't daemon possession and stuff a result of *any* magic?
I don't know what supposed lore source is there that blood magic weakens the veil, but demonic possession being more common among blood mages in DA I've always understood as being due to the sort of individual that becomes a blood mage having a greater chance of being powerhungry and probably overestimating his own power as well. Regular mages for the most part wouldn't go out of their way to seek demons either for boons or to try and control them.

Semiurge

Cipher
Wasn't daemon possession and stuff a result of *any* magic?
I don't know what supposed lore source is there that blood magic weakens the veil, but demonic possession being more common among blood mages in DA I've always understood as being due to the sort of individual that becomes a blood mage having a greater chance of being powerhungry and probably overestimating his own power as well. Regular mages for the most part wouldn't go out of their way to seek demons either for boons or to try and control them.

The rest was definitely there in the collected lore codex, it gave an explanation for haunted locations. It was always places where "something really bad" happened.

kapisi

Novice
Eh, all magic is essentially blood magic if you interpret lyrium as the blood of titans. Maybe that's why blood mages are more susceptible to posession, they use no intermediary resource to access the fade.

Recent parallels with Mass Effect got me thinking that the game's gonna have three endings:

1. Fade is sealed for good and no more magic people. Mages and templars hug it out. Cut to thousands of years into the future "oi, tell me another story about the Rook, gran!"

2. Fade and world reunite, it's like the good old elven times. Everybody is a happy mage, it's like a synthesis of sorts...

3. Boy, imma control the fade now, look over all of them good people down there. Maybe sit in the Golden City, I dunno. Or a Black City if I gathered a lot of bad boy points.

and next game we sail away from the endings to a new unexplored continent, bingo

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Tbh, I wouldn't want Morrigan to have huge tits. I didn't like her and tits wouldn't have helped.
"So what you didn't see big breasts before? Are you trying to single me out, marginalize me, marginalize the witch? Alistair put you up to this didn't he? Him and his chantry can't stand tits this big. They need a superstitious maker to explain them. I'm surrounded by children with no thoughts of their own"
Like, I can just fucking picture the dialogue.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...he-veilguards-combat-abilities-skill-tree-and

A Deep Dive Into Dragon Age: The Veilguard’s Combat, Abilities, Skill Tree, And More​

If you're at all familiar with the Dragon Age series, you likely already know BioWare has experimented quite a lot with its gameplay. From Dragon Age: Origins' real-time strategy RPG approach to Dragon Age II's mostly-set-within-one-city action experience to Dragon Age: Inquisition's strategy-action mix, BioWare hasn't quite defined the franchise's combat. However, a through-line is apparent from Origins to Inquisition: BioWare seemingly wants this franchise to be action but has attempted to shift to that without abandoning its longtime fans.

With Dragon Age: The Veilguard, BioWare has completed its transition from strategy to real-time action, but thanks to an optional tactical pause-and-play combat wheel that harkens back to the series' origins, I feel it's found a great (battle)ground for Dragon Age combat. Of course, it's hard to tell how Veilguard's action will hold up over what is sure to be a dozens-of-hours-long RPG, but if what I've seen so far is any indication, the studio is on to something.

A Shift In Strategy​

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Dreadwolf Game Informer Cover Story

"I think the first thing to keep in mind is that combat [...] in the franchise has been an evolution," game director Corinne Busche tells me within BioWare's Edmonton office. "Every single entry reimagines what combat is like and I would say our goal was to make sure we had a system that allowed players to feel like they actually were able to step into the world of Thedas. They're not a player observing from afar – they are inside of this world. Being this authentic world that's brought to life, the combat system needs to support that, so you are in control of every single action, every block, every dodge, every swing of your sword."

Busche says players complete every swing in real-time, with particular attention paid to animation swing-through and canceling. On the topic of canceling, I watch Busche "bookmark" combos with a quick dash. With this mechanic, players can pause a combo's status with a dash to safety and continue the combo where they left off afterward. Alongside the dash, there's a parry for some classes, the ability to charge moves, and a revamped healing system that allows players to quickly use potions by pressing right on the d-pad.

Busche says each character will play the same in a way, regardless of class, in that you execute light and heavy attacks with the same buttons, use abilities with the same buttons, and interact with the combo wheel in the same way. During my demo at one point, we use a sword-and-shield Warrior Qunari that hip-fires and aims their shield to throw it like Captain America while hammering down big damage with a sword. Pressing the same buttons as a mage might throw out magical ranged attacks instead of a shield.

Abilities, like a Spartan-like kick from a Warrior or a Mage's firewall that deals continuous damage, add to the player's repertoire of combat options. Warriors can parry incoming attacks, staggering enemies in the process. Rogues have a larger parry window, and Mages can't parry at all but instead throw up a shield that blocks all incoming damage so long as they have the mana to sustain the shield.

"That is just the baseline that allows us to get that level of immersion of, 'I'm actually in this world; I'm a part of it,'" Busche says. "But again, the abilities, the strategy, linking my companions' abilities together to perform devastating combos, that is really where the depth and the complexity comes into play."

Abilities And The Skill Tree​

Warrior Rook Skill Tree
This extends to companions, who, at your choosing, bring three abilities (of their five total) into combat, executed either with quick select buttons or the pause-and-play combat wheel. Every time you rank up a companion's Relationship Level, you unlock a skill point to spend specifically on that companion – this is how you unlock new combat abilities.

Though companion skill trees pale in comparison to Rook's expansive tree, which features passive abilities, combat abilities, and more, as well as paths to three unique class specializations, there's still some customization here.

You can find the skill tree for Rook and companions within Veilguard's start or pause menu. This menu contains pages for Veilguard's map, journal, character sheets, and a library for lore information, too. Here, you can cross-compare equipment and equip new gear for Rook and companions, build weapon loadouts, and customize your abilities and builds via the aforementioned skill tree, which looks relatively easy to understand.

gi_exclusive_da_rook-skill-tree-mage2-ability-4k.jpg

gi_exclusive_da_rook-skill-tree-rogue3-far-4k.jpg

gi_exclusive_da_rook-skill-tree-mage2-far-4k.jpg

• Large circle: Class
  • Diamonds: Abilities
  • Medium circle: Major Passives and Ability Upgrades
  • Small hexagon: Traits
  • Small circle: Minor Passives and Stat Boosts
You won't find minutiae here, "just real numbers," Busche says. In other words, a new unlocked trait might increase damage by 25% against armor, but that's as in-depth as the numbers get. Passive abilities unlock jump attacks and guarantee critical hit opportunities, while abilities add moves like firewall and spartan kicks to your arsenal. As you spec out this skill tree, which is 100% bespoke to each class, you'll work closer to unlocking a specialization (which doesn't take reaching the max level of 50). Every class has three specializations, each with a unique ultimate ability. Busche says BioWare's philosophy with the skill tree is "about changing the way you play, not the statistical minutiae."

Companions In Combat​

If you completely ignore companions in combat, they will attack targets, use abilities, and defeat enemies all on their own. "[Companions] are their own people, "Busche says. "They have their own behaviors, they have their own autonomy on the battlefield, they'll pick their own targets. As their plots progress, they'll learn how to use their abilities more competently, and it really feels like you're fighting alongside these realized characters in battle."

Speaking to companion synergy, Busche adds, "I see all the abilities Harding has, and I see everything that Bellara is capable of. And sometimes, I'm using vulnerabilities synergistically. Maybe I'm pausing or slowing time with Bellara so that I can unleash devastating attacks with Harding, knocking down the enemy, and then me, as Rook, I'm rushing in and capitalizing on this setup they've created for me. It is a game about creating this organic sense of teamwork."

Busche says there are more explicit synergies, with intentional combos where specific companions can play off each other, and you can queue up their abilities to do just that. That’s what the pause-and-play combat wheel is for in Veilguard.

In this screen, which pauses the camera and pulls up a flashy combat wheel that highlights you and your companions' skills, you can choose abilities, queue them up, and strategize with synergies and combos the game recognizes, all while targeting specific enemies. Select what you want and release the wheel to watch your selections play out.

Putting It All Together​

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Game Informer Cover Story Exclusive Details

During a mission within Arlathan Forest after Veilguard's prologue, Busche utilizes Veilguard's dual-loadout mechanic. As Rook, you can create two weapon loadouts for quick switch-ups mid-combat. As a mage Rook, she uses magical attacks to add three stacks of arcane build-up to make an Arcane Bomb on a Sentinel, a mechanical set of armor possessed by a demon. If you hit the Sentinel's Arcane Bomb with a heavy attack, the enemy will take devastating damage. Once the Sentinel has an Arcane Bomb on it, Busche begins charging a heavy attack on her magical staff, then switches to magical daggers in Rook's second loadout, accessed with a quick tap of down on the d-pad to unleash some quick light attacks, then back to the staff to finish charging its attack. She then unleashes the heavy attack, and the Arcane Bomb explodes in a liquidy whirl of green magic.

"I've seen [Veilguard's combat] refined over time [and] I love it," BioWare general manager Gary McKay tells me. "I love that balance of real-time fluid action, but also the ability to have the depth in the RPG, not just in terms of pause-and-play, but the depth in terms of how you bring your companions into the battlefield. What are you going to do with their skill points? What's the loadout you're going to use? Everything is about bringing Rook to the center of the battlefield, and I love it."

Former Dragon Age executive producer and Veilguard consultant Mark Darrah feels Veilguard is the first game where the combat is legitimately fun. "What I see in Veilguard is a game that finally bridges the gap," he says. "Uncharitably, previous Dragon Age games got to the realm of 'combat wasn't too bad.' In this game, the combat's actually fun, but it does keep that thread that's always been there. You have the focus on Rook, on your character, but still have that control and character coming into the combat experience from the other people in your party."

I get the sense from watching Busche play several hours of Veilguard that BioWare has designed a combat system that relies heavily on players extracting what they want out of it. If you want to button mash and use abilities freely when their cooldowns expire, you can probably progress fine (although on the game's easier difficulties). But if you want to strategize your combos, take advantage of elemental vulnerabilities, and min-max companions and Rook loadouts, you can do that, too, and I think you'll find Veilguard rewards that with a more enriching experience.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
You can't play a Blood Mage. Blood Mage is not a specialization in this game. The game set in Tewinter, home of blood magic, and they don't let you play a Blood Mage.

I'm at my fucking limit you guys.

zZ6msRo.png
Blood Magic only made sense in a setting that was devoted to the relationship between the demon world and the human world, as well as a clear search for the divine element. That's why it only made sense in Origins, and the other games, which abandoned the spiritual tension, demon magis was a just an incomprehensible addition. Also, I don't know if you remember, but since 2 Tevinter also has its own Chantry, which also makes the religious element incompatible with Origins (we had the whole national-religious fight theme there).

Veilguard is a mirror of modern fantasy, where fairy-tale creatures reflect the modern middle-class fantasies of life as an endless Pride Parade (just as in their grandparents' fantasy fairy-tale creatures expressed the connection with tradition that was important to the old bourgeoisie).
The Tevinter Chantry has been there since Origins. Haven was an offshoot of it.

Really? I thought we got information about this and their pope from a note found in the castle in DA2.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Inability to make a decent evil and\or non-valiant hero story is a trademark of nubioware.
I suppose it will be staple decision:
Are you going to fight against blood magic?
1. Yes!
2. Of course!
3. Immediately!

Shitposter
Remove the ears, and what is left?
Since DAI re-retconned Elven having bigger eyes, there are no other defining feature for an elf except for their ears and body size.

Remove the ears and what is left? Their smaller body size (probably) and their henna tattoo - because that is literally part of the elf culture.

This example is so stupid, man. You borrowed my cat's 2 brain cells or what?

Shitposter
Are you going to fight against blood magic?
1. Yes!
2. Of course!
3. Immediately!
Had to call out this another retarded example because this literally does not happen in the generally perceived as the worse "nu-bioware" game: Dragon Age 2 - the story is focused heavily on Mage - Templar conflict. And there are examples where you are given binary choices, just like in DAO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom