Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Ghost Of Iron

Literate
Will The Gender Identity of a trans/non-binary Rook be acknowledged in game beyond pronouns? Corrine Busch: There are moments when you can disclose and discuss, however, disclosure remains the right of the individual, so you have to make that choice yourself.

The fact that this was considered a pertinent question about the game, and the fact that the developers actually have specifically taken the time to write dialogue around such an "issue" really highlights how fantastic this game is going to be.

Semiurge

Cipher
Fedora, you just don't get it. For change to finally come, these turds need to be as majestic as possible and everyone needs to know about them. Wishing them away is not going to accomplish anything. It certainly helps that watching their failure is entertaining, it's like watching stupid brown people electrocute themselves.

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
I've also noticed that they *hate* mockery more than anything and mockery is one of my favorite pastimes so I enjoy myself alot in these troubled times.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fedora, you just don't get it. For change to finally come, these turds need to be as majestic as possible and everyone needs to know about them.
Not sure this brilliant tactics is working.

Like with The Acolyte. There's so much buzz around it from all the anti-woke channels - negative, but still buzz - it's probably THE most talked about entertainment products today and apparently the first few episodes scored record viewer numbers, due to all this hate watching.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
Fedora, you just don't get it. For change to finally come, these turds need to be as majestic as possible and everyone needs to know about them. Wishing them away is not going to accomplish anything. It certainly helps that watching their failure is entertaining, it's like watching stupid brown people electrocute themselves.
This turd will most likely break even financially. There's the core audience of BioWare tards who will buy anything sight unseen and BG3 reinvigorated and expanded the romohomo crowd.

That said, even if it turned into a spectacular failure, the only ramifications will be a few bad reviews followed by years of silence, until the inevitable faggots right here on the Dex start acting like "it wasn't all bad". Like they do with Inquisition and DA2 already, right in this thread.

You can laugh at the pile of shit, but don't bring it home with you.

9ted6

Educated
It was a decent game for the time
No.

I was promised to be able to enslave nations using powerful necromancy. They have failed to deliver, and I shall forever disdain them.

Not to mention their unabashed plagiarism of Warhammer Fantasy regarding daemons and magic, the Derp Roads, level scaled encounters AND poor enemy variety.
Camel, what do you disagree with? Do you deny BW made false promises? Do you deny they commited plagiarism? Do you claim the Derp Roads were enjoyable? Or that the encounters did not scale to the party level? Perhaps you would like to compare and contrast DAOs enemy variety to that of BG2, or even BG1?
I don't think DAO was great but I think the plagiarism accusations it gets aren't good criticism.

Plagiarism in fantasy is inevitable because all the basic tropes were already established centuries ago and every since author since early modern times has aped what someone else already made. The difference between inspiration and plagiarism is putting your own spin on it.

Dragon Age rips ideas from Game of Thrones, Twitcher and Warhammer but it uses said ideas better than any of those three things. It manages political intrigue without every noble being cartoonishly evil like GoT, it's unfortunately liberal but never preachy about it like Twitcher and it's dark but not retardark like Warhammer.

It also has a take on dwarves that AFAIK is unique and is probably one of the best fantasy dwarf depictions there is.

Those ideas still aren't executed particularly well at any point but I'd argue it had the potential to be better than most of what it was copying and could've developed it all into something greater. That potential was then spit on, pissed on, shit on and shot.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
hate watching.

I don't really think this is a thing like it is for ragebait. There's too many barriers to hate watching something that's on a premium subscription service. It's not YouTube.

Hate gaming is probably even less of a thing. How many people played Forspoken or Redfall? At best maybe it's a tactic for gamepass.

Neither of these things are instant satisfaction like ragebait.

There is such a thing as bad publicity.

Shitposter
the inevitable faggots right here on the Dex start acting like "it wasn't all bad"
Then you must step up, Fedora Master!

Gather more parrot and choir member to sing in unison (some already here)! Affirm each other beliefs and biases! Kiss each other and suck each other's cocks! Gratification fur alles!

There's too many barriers to hate
The answer is right in front of your eyes and you chose to ignore it, lybanicon.

They don't watch it. They watch their favorite propagandist and parrot his opinion. That is why many of them bomb reviewing the wrong movie for example.

Camel

Scholar
Not sure this brilliant tactics is working.

Like with The Acolyte. There's so much buzz around it from all the anti-woke channels - negative, but still buzz - it's probably THE most talked about entertainment products today and apparently the first few episodes scored record viewer numbers, due to all this hate watching.
The Acolyte akshually has disastrous viewing numbers with 11 million in 5 days, lower than Ahsoka which was considered a flop in 2023. Disney and Headland united the SW fandom against the show.
BioWare shows us that the game is going to be unabashedly woke so one more reason not to buy it.

Last edited:
Shitposter
BioWare shows us that the game is going to be unabashedly woke so one more reason not buy it.
If game/show is good, woke or not woke is irrelevant. Baldur's Gate 3 already set that precedent.

Nobody cares about Star Wars tv show especially a show that limited to streaming services. It will fail because nobody outside the retard grifter fanbase and woke mob cares about the show.

Orange Clock

Novice
I agree that plagiarism is the least of DAO problems, but using ideas it “stole” from other fantasy books/series better? Not really.
1.Not all nobles in ASOIAF(GoT) are evil, even Lannisters who presented as such in earlier books are shown to have “feelings and emotions”(especially Jaime in A Feast for Crows).
2.Witcher’s portrayal of oppressed race is also better/on par(if we count subsequent DA games) with Origins. I guess being a pole and having a firsthand experience with jewish ghettos and pogroms helps.
3.That’s probably true
Also AFAIK DAO stole it whole cosmology/religion from Wheel of Time, didn’t read it so idk if it’s better or not, but seeing it all being based on Christianity, I’d say Bible lore is cooler.
PS. Dwarfs are great, sadly sequels chased le old elven gods narrative
It was a decent game for the time
No.

I was promised to be able to enslave nations using powerful necromancy. They have failed to deliver, and I shall forever disdain them.

Not to mention their unabashed plagiarism of Warhammer Fantasy regarding daemons and magic, the Derp Roads, level scaled encounters AND poor enemy variety.
Camel, what do you disagree with? Do you deny BW made false promises? Do you deny they commited plagiarism? Do you claim the Derp Roads were enjoyable? Or that the encounters did not scale to the party level? Perhaps you would like to compare and contrast DAOs enemy variety to that of BG2, or even BG1?
I don't think DAO was great but I think the plagiarism accusations it gets aren't good criticism.

Plagiarism in fantasy is inevitable because all the basic tropes were already established centuries ago and every since author since early modern times has aped what someone else already made. The difference between inspiration and plagiarism is putting your own spin on it.

Dragon Age rips ideas from Game of Thrones, Twitcher and Warhammer but it uses said ideas better than any of those three things. It manages political intrigue without every noble being cartoonishly evil like GoT, it's unfortunately liberal but never preachy about it like Twitcher and it's dark but not retardark like Warhammer.

It also has a take on dwarves that AFAIK is unique and is probably one of the best fantasy dwarf depictions there is.

Those ideas still aren't executed particularly well at any point but I'd argue it had the potential to be better than most of what it was copying and could've developed it all into something greater. That potential was then spit on, pissed on, shit on and shot.

Camel

Scholar
The "anti-woke" channels are grifters, if they can milk a topic for money and views they will certainly do
Critical Drinker entertains me instead of preaching at me like modern Hollywood does. He seems sincere in hating the Message. That’s all I ask from entertainers.
Mostly leftists smear people like him as “grifters”.

Shitposter
Critical Drinker entertains me instead of preaching at me like modern Hollywood does. He seems sincere in hating the Message. That’s all I ask from entertainers.
Mostly leftists smear people like him as “grifters”.
Text Book definition Chud Affirmation/Bias Confirmation. Glad that you found a Safe Space as Critical Drinker parrot.

I recommend sunglasses to avoid differing opinion if it often triggers you.

Tyrr

Liturgist
What's going on? It looks like I'm on gamerghazi and not the codex.
Are here some people really exited about Failguard? And mad that others make fun of the game?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Yeah, nope.

At that point in time, there was only Twitcher 1 out, and it, being the best in the series, was far from preachy and liberal. Must I remind you that it was the collect-sex-cards-for-banging-chicks game?

Warhammer Fantasy is not retardark. Mayhap some wargame material suggests that, but definitely not the Role Play sourcebooks and campaigns. Neither is 40K for that matter, but this is not the right discussion for that. DAOs problem is, it lifted specific relationship between emotions, the otherworldly realm of swirling possibilities, daemons, magic and mages almost word for word from Warhammer. This is something more than using the same basic trope.

You might have a point with GoT. Never cared much about it, so can't compare and contrast the two satisfactorily. I'll tell you this tho: individually, Tywin Lannister >>> Loghain.

I shall grant you that.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
If game/show is good, woke or not woke is irrelevant. Baldur's Gate 3 already set that precedent.

BG3 would be much better without woke nonsense.

Compare Early Access character creation with launch. EA was much better.

But """"""good"""""" woke games are the exception, not the rule. Why? Incompetent diversity hire coders + writers.

For them, the "Mary sue representation" cant learn from a mentor and what worked and didn't worked in the past cuz it is fascism. Can't be in love cuz make her vulnerable, can't make mistakes and have hard challenges to overcome, in other words, they can't make any interesting character. Only "mary sue representations".

And any setting made by woke is commiefornia-reskin. Starfield? Commiefornia in space. Forspoken? Magical commiefornia. If you take all racial differences in Morrowind, slavery and everything "problematic", the game would become pure shit. Baizuos never created a single interesting setting. They can only pick good settings and corrupt it with their neo marxist virus.

Last edited:

SmoothPimp

Augur
DAO is a generic dark epic fantasy, most inspirations come from LotR, The Witcher books (pariah-like elves, warden initiation ritual) and ASoIAF (political tensions). At least it's comprehensive, no fucking neon pub signs just because "it's fantasy with dragons and magic, dude" so why don't we just throw in anything we want or PR team wants from us, because Cyberpunk sales are huge.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom