Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Vatnik Wumao
Will I be able to at least join Tevinter magocracy in this game? No or obvious no?
Overwhelmingly unlikely unfortunately. At best we might have it as a possible backstory if we pick the Shadow Dragons background since backstories are supposed to be subsequently refined through dialogue choices depending on background, but even that would have no impact besides a few token unique dialogue lines I bet.

Vatnik Wumao
GbrQFU7.jpeg

Gives a whole new meaning to that "Never Fade Away" song))

sJva25k.jpeg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Will I be able to at least join Tevinter magocracy in this game? No or obvious no?
Stop sperging about Magic Empires

No. First because there aren't many games where you can join a magocracy. Second, even without the magery, playing as a Tevinter > Playing as the """good guys"""" like :

LikrwOv.png

BTW, the Veil is supposed to be a DANGEROUS place. Similar to the immaterium in wh40k. Not this shit.

By the 90s, the subversion of the Western academy was already done and dusted, and the amount of propaganda on tv

Yes, TBH the subversion of US started after WW2, with Frankfurt school. The first thing to be infected was the academia.

Fedora Master

STOP POSTING
Patron
Edgy
No. First because there aren't many games where you can join a magocracy. Second, even without the magery, playing as a Tevinter > Playing as the """good guys"""" like :
Dude, the problem is that you want to play this shit AT ALL. I know you have a problematic obsession with magic but that doesn't mean you should play slop like this.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dude, the problem is that you want to play this shit AT ALL. I know you have a problematic obsession with magic but that doesn't mean you should play slop like this.

Nope. I would just watch a "Tevinter" run in a secondary monitor while I waste my time in a good game like Elden Ring. I liked a lot the Mages X Templar conflict in 2 but would't consider it a good game. This game will be shittier than 2 in gameplay and in story.

Ryzer

Arcane
The brain is mono-thread, it is not made to follow 2 things at the same time, and doing this is correlated with lowering brain capacity.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
I remember the times when the fate of Morrigan's child was the thread that would drive the series. However, he was ignored in the second part, and in the third part... basically too.

I wonder what they will do with it now. "Hi. I'm Kieran. I'm 28 and I have a gay lover. I love my mom. That's all. Bye."

Baron Tahn

Scholar
'I'm having the first trans operation in thedas, here's a quest to interview all the folks in town about it and if they have negative views, convince them its for the best.' (Bad path is killing them to remove opposition, no options to accept their views).

lycanwarrior

Scholar

Dragon Age developer discusses why big games take so long, and why they're announced so early​

https://www.eurogamer.net/dragon-ag...ake-so-long-and-why-theyre-announced-so-early

Speaking via his YouTube channel, Darrah provides some interesting insight on the topic of big-budget game development. And, while he avoids namechecking any of BioWare's games directly, it's not difficult to read between the lines at certain points as to how this wisdom relates to the company he's spent most of his career at.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron

Blockbuster games are in the grip of a "fidelity death cult", says former Dragon Age producer

It's "a trap that dev teams are kind of laying upon themselves"

Three characters from Dragon Age: The Veilguard - a horned warrior with a staff, an archer, and a rogue Image credit: EA

by Edwin Evans-Thirlwell News Editor

Published on June 26, 2024

Dragon Age: The Veilguard consultant and former Dragon Age executive producer Mark Darrah has published a Youtube video addressing the question: "why do AAA games take so long?" It's a tidy 25 minutes or so, and gets a fair way into the weeds of a variety of topics, from the current enthusiasm for live service "forever games" over 'finite', narrative-led affairs, to the "misleading" announcement of highly-demanded sequels years before they enter full production, in order to pump up a publisher's brand during a dry spell.

One thing I wanted to fish out and drop on your plate is Darrah's discussion of what he terms "the fidelity death cult" - that is, the desire for ever greater levels of lifelike visual detail and "intricacy".

"We are also in a period of something I've called the fidelity death cult," Darrah explains in the vid, around the eight minute mark, "where a lot of games are trying for hyper-realistic art styles, hyper-high fidelity, hyper-customisation, hyper-intricacy. These things, while they don't contribute to a larger size, while they don't help you make a forever game, they still take a lot more time. When you are concerned about the way people's hair moves on their back, that's going to take time that you in the past wouldn't have done. You would have just spray-painted their hairdo on, or given them a hair cap, or something pretty static. Now, you're introducing new avenues of complexity."

He extends the point to encompass player dislike of things in games they consider to have been "recycled", from chunks of recurring environment to animation systems. "Similarly, we currently see from players quite a bit of pushback on the reuse of systems and assets, so even though I might be making a sequel to a game that came out just a couple of years ago, I might feel within the dev team that we can't reuse any of our assets, because we're going to get pushback from the players. And so while I might have been able to reuse some of those animations, or some of those models, or some of those areas, I might feel the need to recreate them to avoid that backlash. So I'm introducing additional time into the development process that otherwise would have allowed the game to come out sooner."

Interestingly, Darrah notes that while the emphasis on giving players endless things to do, access and consume in "forever games" reflects audience research showing that this makes the game more enticing, the "fidelity death cult" and avoidance of asset reuse comes "more from a fear of backlash, as opposed to any more specific research that says that this is necessary". He suggests that prioritising original asset creation and fidelity is "a trap that dev teams are kind of laying upon themselves", pointing to Baldur's Gate 3 as the "perfect example" of a game that has gotten away with downplaying "minor visual fidelity things that at the end of the day, often don't matter that much".

That the creed of ever-quantifiably-higher fidelity sponges up a lot of time and energy without really adding anything to games is a familiar argument, but always worth repeating. To slide into a bit of journalist navel-gazing, I'll add that games that valorise fidelity for its own sake can be boring to write about, albeit partly because enthusiast readerships tend to want us to write about them in a certain way.

The associated traditions of realism and photorealism are, in themselves, complex, exciting and evolving, but within video game culture, those traditions are typically boiled down to numbers and buzzwords - higher polygon counts, more animated objects per scene, more lens flare per NPC tear, with a corresponding need for more potent, dirtier pieces of hardware to run games on. Mind you, if there's a preference for interpreting realism and photorealism this way, that reflects the audience tastes that both "AAA" developers and journalists have cultivated for themselves over the decades, by consenting to the whim of the marketing machine. I've written my share of articles about higher resolutions and posh new species of shader. One thing I'd like to ask Darrah is: how exactly should blockbuster game developers unravel the "fidelity death cult"? How should they persuade more tech-devoted players to get over the sight of some sprayed-on hair?

Devs have been bitching about the graphics fidelity arms race now for over two decades, and yet they're still committed to it. Morons.

Ghost Of Iron

Literate
Varric is all but confirmed to die in the prologue of the game. He's not present in any of the companion stuff they keep showing off and he's not one of the seven main companions. He's dead. Also, supposedly Solas is going to survive the prologue and be connected through the Veil directly to the protagonists mind so he can speak to and guide him throughout most of the game. So, in other words, they flat out copied the Johnny Silverhand idea, which was irritating enough in Cyberpunk, and will certainly be even worse in this game. I suppose this is another trend, writers want to be able to constantly shout instructions and push their narrative direction even when a character is alone and by themselves.

Lodis

Educated
They also ruined the Grey Wardens. Sure they were literally just a copy of the Night’s Watch from ASOIAF where a once distinguished order is a shadow of its former self and has to take on a horde of unending evil, but it worked.

Now we have a zesty elf nigga with his own pet griffon that’s been asspulled back from extinction.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Varric is all but confirmed to die in the prologue of the game. He's not present in any of the companion stuff they keep showing off and he's not one of the seven main companions. He's dead. Also, supposedly Solas is going to survive the prologue and be connected through the Veil directly to the protagonists mind so he can speak to and guide him throughout most of the game. So, in other words, they flat out copied the Johnny Silverhand idea, which was irritating enough in Cyberpunk, and will certainly be even worse in this game. I suppose this is another trend, writers want to be able to constantly shout instructions and push their narrative direction even when a character is alone and by themselves.

I find it hard to believe they would give up on Varric so easily. So either he will play Silverhand or he will be resurrected. Varric would remain dead if and only if his voice had had enough of Bioware.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gameinformer.com/exclus...ragon-age-the-veilguards-classes-and-factions

Breaking Down Dragon Age: The Veilguard’s Classes And Factions​

As part of the character creation process for Dragon Age: The Veilguard, players will have to select both a class for their player-controlled Rook and a faction. After customizing much of your Rook's body, including things like a Qunari's horn type and material, for example, with the hundreds of options available in Veilguard, it will be time to pick said class.

There are three classes to choose from: Rogue, Mage, and Warrior. As the names suggest, each features a unique combat system and plays differently as a result. Though you’ll be performing things like light and heavy attacks using the same buttons, what those attacks do varies based on your class. For example, a sword-and-shield Warrior can hip-fire or aim their shield to throw it like Captain America, whereas a Mage can use that same button to throw out magical ranged attacks – read more about the combat of Veilguard in Game Informer's exclusive feature here. Plus, as you spec out these classes and unlock their individual specializations, the differences will only grow even more stark.

• The Rogue has access to three specializations. The Duelist is the fastest of the three, with two blades for rapid strikes; the Saboteur uses tricks and traps; and the Veil Ranger is purely range, sniping enemies from afar with a bow.
  • The Mage can utilize necromancy with the Death Caller specialization; Evokers wield fire, ice, and lightning; and the Spellblade uses magic-infused melee attacks.
  • The Warrior can become a Reaper, which uses night blades to steal life and risk death to gain unnatural abilities; a Slayer, a simple but strong two-handed weapons expert; or the Champion, a tactical defense fighter.
While these specializations don't matter upfront – you class into them via the skill trees you progress through the game – it's nice to see the potential of each class before you choose it.

Dragon Age: The Veilguard Dreadwolf Game Informer Cover Story

For the penultimate step of the character creator, at least during the demo BioWare shows me, players select a faction. The Grey Wardens return, joined by other returning favorites and new additions like the Antivan Crows, the Mourn Watch, the Shadow Dragons, the pirate-themed Lords of Fortune, which is what I chose in my demo for the current Game Informer cover story, and the Veil Jumpers.

Each faction has unique casual wear, which is worn in specific cutscenes when the character isn't donning armor, and three unique traits. The Lords of Fortune, for example, gain additional reputation with this particular faction, have increased damage versus mercenaries, and perform takedowns on enemies with slightly less effort. Veilguard game director Corinne Busche says this faction selection, which ties into your character's backstory, determines who your Rook was before, how they met Varric, why they travel with Varric instead of their faction, and more.

"The message of The Veilguard is you're not saving the world on your own – you need your companions, but you also need these factions, these other groups in the world," creative director John Epler tells me. "You help them, they help you now."

He says BioWare wanted to avoid the trope of needing to gather 200 random resources or objects before helping you save the world. Instead, the team aimed to create factions that want to help you but have realistic challenges and problems in front of them so that narratively, it makes sense why you help them in return for their help when the time comes.

"Gameplay-wise – each of our classes has a specialization, and each of them is tied to a faction," Epler continues. "But beyond that, each faction has a [companion] as well as [people we're calling agents, ancillarily] who exist as the faces of these factions. We didn't want to just say, 'Here's the Grey Wardens, go deal with them.' We wanted characters within that faction who are sympathetic, who you can see and become the face of the faction, so that even if there are moments where the faction as a whole may be on the outs with you, these characters are still with you; they've still got your back."

If you want to make changes to your character's physical appearance, you can do that with the Mirror of Transformation, found in the main Veilguard hub, The Lighthouse. However, class, lineage, and identity are locked in and cannot be changed after you select them in the game's character creator.

Semiurge

Cipher
But contemporary culture is too prudish and takes itself way too serious (more than 1980-90s, i think) for such bold experiments, despite all this trendy LGBT+ things. Maybe in decade or two...

You simply can't approach the whole S&M thing anymore without running into a great modern taboo - slavery. Masters and servants and so on.

Interesting considering that it's been the backbone of gay subculture since forever.

Yeah Ciri was good when she was the surprise and then the elder blood thing that has everyone wanting a piece of her for various nefarious reasons was okay but making her a core powerful player was dumb. Training her 'as a witcher' oe at least in their methods was covered alright with her angst and Geralt not knowing what the fuck to do but knowing she needed the ability to defend herself - but turning her into a mary sue was stupid. It's cliche to make her a damsel in distress but giving her enough martial arts training to defend herself is enough to flip that trope and give her some agency.

I think Yen is okay as a power hungry old witch too, manipulative, callous and opportunistic, using magic to make herself appear young and attractive instead of a crotchety old crone, with Triss serving as a more feminine but still insecure and naive option for the love triangle. Both were completely fucked (character wise) by the time of the show though, with Triss being an obviously inferior ugly fat chick and Yen being a misunderstood girlboss who is apparently not an old bag. The retcon of the sorceresses beauty into some cosmetic makeover thing was a fucking sin. These bitches are the power behind thrones and they choose to make themselves pretty to make that happen - which also gives meaning to the scars that Triss gets as a stronger sacrifice.

One problem Sapkowski's women had was that in the books they were described as too similiar in appearance. Most had dark hair and dark eyes, even Triss was just a plain ol' brunette with hazel eyes. It's strange that these sorceresses chose to adhere to these un-outlandish visages when they could freely add some individuality. The games make the female characters more distinctive, especially your waifu Triss who becomes red-headed and green eyed. Philippa Eilhart gets yellow amber eyes to suit her preferred animal form - the snowy owl. Ciri gets white hair, instead of merely "ashen" that sounds both common and vague. Not that every remarkable individual needs to look the part, but still.

Blockbuster games are in the grip of a "fidelity death cult", says former Dragon Age producer

It's "a trap that dev teams are kind of laying upon themselves"

Three characters from Dragon Age: The Veilguard - a horned warrior with a staff, an archer, and a rogue Image credit: EA

by Edwin Evans-Thirlwell News Editor

Published on June 26, 2024

Dragon Age: The Veilguard consultant and former Dragon Age executive producer Mark Darrah has published a Youtube video addressing the question: "why do AAA games take so long?" It's a tidy 25 minutes or so, and gets a fair way into the weeds of a variety of topics, from the current enthusiasm for live service "forever games" over 'finite', narrative-led affairs, to the "misleading" announcement of highly-demanded sequels years before they enter full production, in order to pump up a publisher's brand during a dry spell.

One thing I wanted to fish out and drop on your plate is Darrah's discussion of what he terms "the fidelity death cult" - that is, the desire for ever greater levels of lifelike visual detail and "intricacy".

"We are also in a period of something I've called the fidelity death cult," Darrah explains in the vid, around the eight minute mark, "where a lot of games are trying for hyper-realistic art styles, hyper-high fidelity, hyper-customisation, hyper-intricacy. These things, while they don't contribute to a larger size, while they don't help you make a forever game, they still take a lot more time. When you are concerned about the way people's hair moves on their back, that's going to take time that you in the past wouldn't have done. You would have just spray-painted their hairdo on, or given them a hair cap, or something pretty static. Now, you're introducing new avenues of complexity."

He extends the point to encompass player dislike of things in games they consider to have been "recycled", from chunks of recurring environment to animation systems. "Similarly, we currently see from players quite a bit of pushback on the reuse of systems and assets, so even though I might be making a sequel to a game that came out just a couple of years ago, I might feel within the dev team that we can't reuse any of our assets, because we're going to get pushback from the players. And so while I might have been able to reuse some of those animations, or some of those models, or some of those areas, I might feel the need to recreate them to avoid that backlash. So I'm introducing additional time into the development process that otherwise would have allowed the game to come out sooner."

Interestingly, Darrah notes that while the emphasis on giving players endless things to do, access and consume in "forever games" reflects audience research showing that this makes the game more enticing, the "fidelity death cult" and avoidance of asset reuse comes "more from a fear of backlash, as opposed to any more specific research that says that this is necessary". He suggests that prioritising original asset creation and fidelity is "a trap that dev teams are kind of laying upon themselves", pointing to Baldur's Gate 3 as the "perfect example" of a game that has gotten away with downplaying "minor visual fidelity things that at the end of the day, often don't matter that much".

That the creed of ever-quantifiably-higher fidelity sponges up a lot of time and energy without really adding anything to games is a familiar argument, but always worth repeating. To slide into a bit of journalist navel-gazing, I'll add that games that valorise fidelity for its own sake can be boring to write about, albeit partly because enthusiast readerships tend to want us to write about them in a certain way.

The associated traditions of realism and photorealism are, in themselves, complex, exciting and evolving, but within video game culture, those traditions are typically boiled down to numbers and buzzwords - higher polygon counts, more animated objects per scene, more lens flare per NPC tear, with a corresponding need for more potent, dirtier pieces of hardware to run games on. Mind you, if there's a preference for interpreting realism and photorealism this way, that reflects the audience tastes that both "AAA" developers and journalists have cultivated for themselves over the decades, by consenting to the whim of the marketing machine. I've written my share of articles about higher resolutions and posh new species of shader. One thing I'd like to ask Darrah is: how exactly should blockbuster game developers unravel the "fidelity death cult"? How should they persuade more tech-devoted players to get over the sight of some sprayed-on hair?

Devs have been bitching about the graphics fidelity arms race now for over two decades, and yet they're still committed to it. Morons.

A wall of text and not a single mention of the most common of complaints concerning high-fidelity graphics: The ugly female characters. They simply can't ignore this obvious dichotomy between western and asian games, not while the majority of gamers remains male. Photorealism does not exclude the attractive, unless game designing becomes politicised. Which it has.

Book authors must hate how many readers misinterpret their works, but this is how things should be. Interpreting the ambigious is a sure way for enjoying entertainment more. These game writers however, are slaves to their task to ensure that the player is always having fun the way they intended. Every little nuance is lost, and the player gets help everywhere. The story and its black and white implications are sledgehammered into their minds. Game designing is now as much art as McDonald's is high cuisine.

Last edited:

Camel

Scholar
It also has a take on dwarves that AFAIK is unique and is probably one of the best fantasy dwarf depictions there is.
You can thank Jennifer Hepler for the DA:O dwarves, she wrote Orzammar. The dwarven origins were the best.
Hepler’s decision to leave the Edmonton-based video-game studio garnered international headlines when her departure was tied — erroneously — to harassment
I understand you decided to leave BioWare to pursue your own projects, but it was erroneously reported that you left because of nasty harassment.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/jennifer-hepler

Cohesion

Augur
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
they flat out copied the Johnny Silverhand idea, which was irritating enough in Cyberpunk, and will certainly be even worse in this game

Remember Andromeda and never-stop-yapping SAM, the AI assistant you had chipped in your head? That's what they'll do.
Nah, me3 was enough to not bother with Andromeda, dropping da2 after few hours was enough to not bother with DAI. Did you play Fallout 76 after F3/F4 lol? Not a learning animal.

Yosharian

Arcane
It also has a take on dwarves that AFAIK is unique and is probably one of the best fantasy dwarf depictions there is.
You can thank Jennifer Hepler for the DA:O dwarves, she wrote Orzammar. The dwarven origins were the best.
Hepler’s decision to leave the Edmonton-based video-game studio garnered international headlines when her departure was tied — erroneously — to harassment
I understand you decided to leave BioWare to pursue your own projects, but it was erroneously reported that you left because of nasty harassment.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/jennifer-hepler
Complete bullshit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom