Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: The Veilguard - coming October 31st

Cael

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Book authors must hate how many readers misinterpret their works, but this is how things should be.
Fuck off, cunt. The author is NOT dead.

Aarwolf

Learned
they flat out copied the Johnny Silverhand idea, which was irritating enough in Cyberpunk, and will certainly be even worse in this game

Remember Andromeda and never-stop-yapping SAM, the AI assistant you had chipped in your head? That's what they'll do.
Nah, me3 was enough to not bother with Andromeda, dropping da2 after few hours was enough to not bother with DAI. Did you play Fallout 76 after F3/F4 lol? Not a learning animal.

I didn't play it, I don't have to to know what (and how) did Bioware in that game. And I still remember what people playing that shit were complaining about.

Orange Clock

Novice
I agree that plagiarism is the least of DAO problems, but using ideas it “stole” from other fantasy books/series better? Not really.
1.Not all nobles in ASOIAF(GoT) are evil, even Lannisters who presented as such in earlier books are shown to have “feelings and emotions”(especially Jaime in A Feast for Crows).
2.Witcher’s portrayal of oppressed race is also better/on par(if we count subsequent DA games) with Origins. I guess being a pole and having a firsthand experience with jewish ghettos and pogroms helps.
3.That’s probably true
Also AFAIK DAO stole it whole cosmology/religion from Wheel of Time, didn’t read it so idk if it’s better or not, but seeing it all being based on Christianity, I’d say Bible lore is cooler.
PS. Dwarfs are great, sadly sequels chased le old elven gods narrative
1. The only nobles who aren't evil in GoT are portrayed as helpless idiots. In DAO good nobles like your dad in the human origin are portrayed as both wellmeaning and competent.
2. Witcher is preachy about it. DAO shows elves being oppressed but it also shows elves doing evil shit like Zevran and Zathrian. It doesn't become a onesided Humans Bad Elves Good virtue signal until the sequels but Witcher is always onesided to the point Geralt the monster hunter constantly goes off about how monsters aren't bad and humans are the real monsters.
I don't think DAO was great but I think the plagiarism accusations it gets aren't good criticism.

Plagiarism in fantasy is inevitable because all the basic tropes were already established centuries ago and every since author since early modern times has aped what someone else already made. The difference between inspiration and plagiarism is putting your own spin on it.

Dragon Age rips ideas from Game of Thrones, Twitcher and Warhammer but it uses said ideas better than any of those three things. It manages political intrigue without every noble being cartoonishly evil like GoT, it's unfortunately liberal but never preachy about it like Twitcher and it's dark but not retardark like Warhammer.
Yeah, nope.

At that point in time, there was only Twitcher 1 out, and it, being the best in the series, was far from preachy and liberal. Must I remind you that it was the collect-sex-cards-for-banging-chicks game?

Warhammer Fantasy is not retardark. Mayhap some wargame material suggests that, but definitely not the Role Play sourcebooks and campaigns. Neither is 40K for that matter, but this is not the right discussion for that. DAOs problem is, it lifted specific relationship between emotions, the otherworldly realm of swirling possibilities, daemons, magic and mages almost word for word from Warhammer. This is something more than using the same basic trope.

You might have a point with GoT. Never cared much about it, so can't compare and contrast the two satisfactorily. I'll tell you this tho: individually, Tywin Lannister >>> Loghain.
Twitcher 1 deviated quite alot from the source material. I agree that it was similar to DAO in tone but the books themselves as well as the sequels take a hardline leftoid worldview and push it on you. Geralt in 3 is a walking soapbox for the writers. DA's sequels are even worse than Twitcher's books or games though so I'll give you that.

Warhammer Fantasy's pretty retardark though. It's not on the same level as 40k but it's close. The RPG books are what codified all the Warhammer worlds being a doomed struggle for chaos's entertainment and characters casually doing horribly evil and extremely stupid things for no real reason or gain. That doesn't happen in DAO.

Howe and Loghain seem that way at first but if you look into things they've both got reasonable motivations for being dickheads and sincerely plan on getting something good out of it for themselves and Ferelden. Warhammer villain motives are I Want To Kill People Because I'm Bad. You could say the same for the Archdemon but that's the demonic dragon and just one character. Every Warhammer villain is like that.

I don't know much about GoT's details but I know just about every villain is inbred and sex crazed, usually incestuously sex crazed, so I doubt anyone's better than Loghain, who if you talk to and read lore notes about realize has completely reasonable grievances but seriously underestimates the darkspawn. Crazy evil villains like GoT's and Warhammer's exist and aren't bad in and of themselves, but when every single antagonist is exactly the same it gets old.

I agree that plagiarism is the least of DAO problems, but using ideas it “stole” from other fantasy books/series better? Not really.
1.Not all nobles in ASOIAF(GoT) are evil, even Lannisters who presented as such in earlier books are shown to have “feelings and emotions”(especially Jaime in A Feast for Crows).
2.Witcher’s portrayal of oppressed race is also better/on par(if we count subsequent DA games) with Origins. I guess being a pole and having a firsthand experience with jewish ghettos and pogroms helps.
3.That’s probably true
Also AFAIK DAO stole it whole cosmology/religion from Wheel of Time, didn’t read it so idk if it’s better or not, but seeing it all being based on Christianity, I’d say Bible lore is cooler.
PS. Dwarfs are great, sadly sequels chased le old elven gods narrative
1. The only nobles who aren't evil in GoT are portrayed as helpless idiots. In DAO good nobles like your dad in the human origin are portrayed as both wellmeaning and competent.
2. Witcher is preachy about it. DAO shows elves being oppressed but it also shows elves doing evil shit like Zevran and Zathrian. It doesn't become a onesided Humans Bad Elves Good virtue signal until the sequels but Witcher is always onesided to the point Geralt the monster hunter constantly goes off about how monsters aren't bad and humans are the real monsters.
I don't think DAO was great but I think the plagiarism accusations it gets aren't good criticism.

Plagiarism in fantasy is inevitable because all the basic tropes were already established centuries ago and every since author since early modern times has aped what someone else already made. The difference between inspiration and plagiarism is putting your own spin on it.

Dragon Age rips ideas from Game of Thrones, Twitcher and Warhammer but it uses said ideas better than any of those three things. It manages political intrigue without every noble being cartoonishly evil like GoT, it's unfortunately liberal but never preachy about it like Twitcher and it's dark but not retardark like Warhammer.
Yeah, nope.

At that point in time, there was only Twitcher 1 out, and it, being the best in the series, was far from preachy and liberal. Must I remind you that it was the collect-sex-cards-for-banging-chicks game?

Warhammer Fantasy is not retardark. Mayhap some wargame material suggests that, but definitely not the Role Play sourcebooks and campaigns. Neither is 40K for that matter, but this is not the right discussion for that. DAOs problem is, it lifted specific relationship between emotions, the otherworldly realm of swirling possibilities, daemons, magic and mages almost word for word from Warhammer. This is something more than using the same basic trope.

You might have a point with GoT. Never cared much about it, so can't compare and contrast the two satisfactorily. I'll tell you this tho: individually, Tywin Lannister >>> Loghain.
Twitcher 1 deviated quite alot from the source material. I agree that it was similar to DAO in tone but the books themselves as well as the sequels take a hardline leftoid worldview and push it on you. Geralt in 3 is a walking soapbox for the writers. DA's sequels are even worse than Twitcher's books or games though so I'll give you that.

Warhammer Fantasy's pretty retardark though. It's not on the same level as 40k but it's close. The RPG books are what codified all the Warhammer worlds being a doomed struggle for chaos's entertainment and characters casually doing horribly evil and extremely stupid things for no real reason or gain. That doesn't happen in DAO.

Howe and Loghain seem that way at first but if you look into things they've both got reasonable motivations for being dickheads and sincerely plan on getting something good out of it for themselves and Ferelden. Warhammer villain motives are I Want To Kill People Because I'm Bad. You could say the same for the Archdemon but that's the demonic dragon and just one character. Every Warhammer villain is like that.

I don't know much about GoT's details but I know just about every villain is inbred and sex crazed, usually incestuously sex crazed, so I doubt anyone's better than Loghain, who if you talk to and read lore notes about realize has completely reasonable grievances but seriously underestimates the darkspawn. Crazy evil villains like GoT's and Warhammer's exist and aren't bad in and of themselves, but when every single antagonist is exactly the same it gets old.
1. Would you call Varis, Illirio and Jon Connington evil or incompetent idiots just because they want to restore the former dynasty and breed a perfect prince for that? Or Doran Martell who sits in his chair making 4d chess moves to avenge his family? I’d argue Taiwin wasn’t evil too, maybe to Tyrion, but not as a ruler of the Kingdom. Also there’s only one crazy villain in the series — Dayeneres, others have a reason for being “evil”(even if it’s something stupid as being cucked in Littlefinger’s case).
2. There’s the story in one of the first books(before they started to be about Ciri) where Geralt ends up being kidnapped and beaten by elves, who then proceed to tell him a very sad story of their race and how they are superior to humans etc. In the end Witcher says that they all full of shit, no better than human and all gonna die. Later in the books when they get their own Israel/Madagascar elves still go on committing war crimes against Northern Kingdoms. Elves-Human conflict is not one sided, neither in books nor games. There’s always this lesser evil option. Also main villains are literal gay elves from outer planes.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What to discuss? Everyone knows that Failguard will be sh*t.

Imagine how great this game could be without the decline.
  • Different attributes, different dialog, and different quests and solutions depend on gender and race.
  • Subraces for humans, elves, and dwarfs with politically incorrect attributes: think of Morrowind giving more INT to Bretons than to Redguards, despite both being "Men.".
  • Tevinter would not be "generic bad guys," would be misanthropes with a unique ideology to justify everything that they do, and would have arguments to back it up like Caesar in New Vegas.
  • The conflict could be the religious monotheistic "Chantry" versus "pagan old ways" of Tevinter empire or something more unique.
  • Magic would be more dangerous, mainly blood magic.
  • Romance would affect the game outside of romance, e.g., if you are a human and are romancing an elf, everyone would look down upon you, and some "blood purist" guys in Tevinter would want to destroy you if you try to do more than just use her body.
  • You would be able to buy slaves and transform dwarfs into golems.
  • The combat would be tactical with high lethality.
  • No dialog wheels, no pronouns in character sheet, no spell damage scaling with your weapon and other BS
  • Doubling down in the dark fantasy themes.
That would be great.

Last edited:

Semiurge

Cipher
What to discuss? Everyone knows that Failguard will be sh*t.

Imagine how great this game could be without the decline.
  • Different attributes, different dialog, and different quests and solutions depend on gender and race.
  • Subraces for humans, elves, and dwarfs with politically incorrect attributes: think of Morrowind giving more INT to Bretons than to Redguards, despite both being "Men.".
  • Tevinter would not be "generic bad guys," would be misanthropes with a unique ideology to justify everything that they do, and would have arguments to back it up like Caesar in New Vegas.
  • The conflict could be the religious monotheistic "Chantry" versus "pagan old ways" of Tevinter empire or something more unique.
  • Magic would be more dangerous, mainly blood magic.
  • Romance would affect the game outside of romance, e.g., if you are a human and are romancing an elf, everyone would look down upon you, and some "blood purist" guys in Tevinter would want to destroy you if you try to do more than just use her body.
  • You would be able to buy slaves and transform dwarfs into golems.
  • The combat would be tactical with high lethality.
  • No dialog wheels, no pronouns in character sheet, no spell damage scaling with your weapon and other BS
  • Doubling down in the dark fantasy themes.
That would be great.

Hey now, let's not get carried away and forget that while the adult audience of Hollywood isn't quite ready for programming of this magnitude, the game-playing Z-generation's programming is already underway and cannot suffer those antiquated potentials. The young market is the key, and we cannot afford to confuse them with tough moral dilemmas or "nuances".

Elttharion

Learned
Throughout my visit to BioWare's Edmonton office for Game Informer's current cover story about Dragon Age: The Veilguard, game director Corinne Busche reiterates that the studio designed the game with inclusivity in mind. That's extremely evident in the character creator, where players begin their journey in Veilguard. It's easily the best character creator in series history and possibly the most robust I've ever seen in a video game. From hundreds of sliders and options to customize your player-controlled Rook to the ability to pick pronouns separate from gender and more, this character creator speaks directly to the inclusivity of Veilguard – read about my in-depth look at the character creator here.
if you're not interested in death-related setbacks, there's a no-death option you can turn on.
:lol: :lol:
Source

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Um. Not interested in 'death related setbacks?' Wtf does that mean? The PC cannot die? Jeeeeeez. I mean ez mode for babies and kids is a thing I understand but isn't this game for 'mature audiences' due to sex and romance/violence etc? Do consoles still not have save games? I'm so confused as to why this is necessary, are people just so retarded this is a desired feature or is this a game for the most casual of casuals?

Shitposter
ez mode for babies
They're not targeting Age of Decadence audience.

No need to create headcanon to cope just yet. The game hasn't arrived yet.

"There is a no-death option you can turn on" - fags like you who like to play their games with death options while their cocks and balls tortured can still play with no-death option turned off.

Semiurge

Cipher
Throughout my visit to BioWare's Edmonton office for Game Informer's current cover story about Dragon Age: The Veilguard, game director Corinne Busche reiterates that the studio designed the game with inclusivity in mind. That's extremely evident in the character creator, where players begin their journey in Veilguard. It's easily the best character creator in series history and possibly the most robust I've ever seen in a video game. From hundreds of sliders and options to customize your player-controlled Rook to the ability to pick pronouns separate from gender and more, this character creator speaks directly to the inclusivity of Veilguard – read about my in-depth look at the character creator here.
if you're not interested in death-related setbacks, there's a no-death option you can turn on.
:lol: :lol:
Source

So they've basically just re-named the "story mode" which, regrettably, has been around for decades. Make no mistake, this current day story mode isn't the same as the 'easy' setting of yore that still allowed the player character to *shudders* come to harm.

Modron

Arcane
DA2: Press a button, something awesome happens.
ME2: Press a button, something gay happens.
DAV: Press a button to avoid something gay happening, something gay still happens.
I think ME2 was probably the first Bioware game to hit that only one button confirmation was needed to go straight to losing your other honor phase of degeneracy. I imagine you'll need to actively protect your butt at all times in DA:VE

the mole

Arbiter
Shitposter
Um. Not interested in 'death related setbacks?' Wtf does that mean? The PC cannot die? Jeeeeeez. I mean ez mode for babies and kids is a thing I understand but isn't this game for 'mature audiences' due to sex and romance/violence etc? Do consoles still not have save games? I'm so confused as to why this is necessary, are people just so retarded this is a desired feature or is this a game for the most casual of casuals?
maybe the game is working on the checkpoint system

Shitposter

Press X to get Chudmel and 69Jed to have oily gay sex

I imagine you'll need to actively protect your butt
A lesser men would be.

Every discussion devolved into troon, joos or homo phobic stuff, less genuine critique about the game. Is this what Saint Microballs and the original retards envisioned when they created this shit hole? Hmmmm... maybe so, it is RPG Chudex afterall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom