Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm really disappointed that the game doesn't offer anything between normal and Draconian to be honest - a very big flaw in my opinion. While normal is piss easy, draconian is just annoying for me - I would really like something in between.

Draconian isn't brutal enough to desire much inbetween for me, especially if you only turn on stronger monsters and stay clear of the bullshit options like shypox.
Depending on version there are maybe 3-4 big difficulty spikes in the game.

That big Sandmonster is the first enemy where you need a somewhat strategical approach
The Kraken can be made significantly easier by starting the fight with a cannon from that one grandma
The portrait is plain badly balanced in some versions, by being able to take 6 moves in a row. Charm resistance and luck is needed.
The Final Boss before post game is a spike, but that is definitly ok

Game gets a lot easier when you know that while most debuffs which do not modify status are useless, Dazzle is pretty op. Nukes enemy accuracy and most bosses only have 50% resistance against it.

Jinn

Arcane
The way the difficulty ramps up for the true ending was a pretty lowlight for me. But I was too far to quit by that point.

You know you could have just turned off any Draconian challenges you had on, right? You just can't turn them back on once you've disabled them in a playthrough. That true ending shit would be a drag even without it on, I would assume. Not a big fan of how long the game drew out at that point.

Sentinel

Arcane
Yep, I wish I had just done it on normal and enjoyed the game for its presentation. The way the difficulty ramps up for the true ending was a pretty lowlight for me. But I was too far to quit by that point.
What are you talking about?

Ivan

Arcane
Yep, I wish I had just done it on normal and enjoyed the game for its presentation. The way the difficulty ramps up for the true ending was a pretty lowlight for me. But I was too far to quit by that point.
What are you talking about?
It's been quite a while, but I remember something about not wanting to remove "tougher monsters" b/c I wouldn't be able to add it back on once removed. I remember some bosses being huge difficulty spikes (particularly some fire dragon in that epilogue chapter). Still, it was fun to see that DBZ style final bosso.

I'd still recommend folks enjoy the game for its presentational value. Great cast, fantastic music (w/the mod of course), and a fun adventure with twists and turns. It was my first DQ game and I had a good time.

Twizman

Scholar
Dazzle is my favourite spell ever. I believe in Dragon Warrior III it reduces enemy accuracy by 25%. Very strong, and cheap on tp which is important to me. Love using Dazzle with my Pilgrim on long dungeon expeditions in that game.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm around 15 hours in, and so far it's OK. But it's not really grabbing me either

What it does it does undoubtedly well, but it rarely excites or stimulates either. Feels like a real plod at times.

Does it ramp up later on at all & get exciting or more interesting?

Vorark

Erudite
Once you get the ship the pace starts to pick up and goes full steam ahead by the end of Act I. Act II is excellent.

Ivan

Arcane
I'm around 15 hours in, and so far it's OK. But it's not really grabbing me either

What it does it does undoubtedly well, but it rarely excites or stimulates either. Feels like a real plod at times.

Does it ramp up later on at all & get exciting or more interesting?

If you're not enjoying it by now, the rest of the game won't change your mind. I quite likes the compas and their stories

CyberModuled

Savant
Decided to test the demo even though I've already decided to not get it until it's bargain bin price (already played the original port) it's amazing that despite having almost two years with a new iteration of Unreal 4 to work with, the game still has those bizarre option settings, still can't get 60 FPS even on low settings, and still lacks proper mouse and keyboard button prompts. Yet despite its low budget and genre, goddamn Trials of Mana has those specific prompts and runs like butter at High settings pretty much all the time (and I just finished playing it this week).

CyberModuled

Savant
DQXI is 60 FPS on PC.
I'm aware (and it still has all the uncapped framerate options like the original port too post patching). I'm just confused why I still can't get it to a consistent 60 like the original port despite it being confirmed that it's using the Switch assets and a newer iteration of Unreal Engine.

Sentinel

Arcane
Is it just me or is the UI font rendered at lower resolution? This is extremely triggering. Font in combat looks way lower res than every other asset on display.

Deleted member 7219

I am playing the original with the orchestral mod.

I put it aside because I could only manage 30 FPS but having taken the week off to play TOCS 4, which now won’t be delivered until next week, I decided to give this a go anyway.

I’m a few hours in, enjoying it so far, and have no desire to play the Switch port.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Japanese dev has always been like this tho, not just SE.

Capcom is infamous for it. ATLSU do this as well for Persona games.

Well. as I haven't played the original this is a definitive buy for me.

Terra

Cipher
Square have now apparently delisted the original game, so at least digitally it's the new version or nothing. The original game is not purchasable on Steam anymore at the very least.

Gamezor

Learned
The S version is on gamepass, so I've been playing it on PC, Xbox, and also streaming to phone. It's good because it doesn't take much focus so I can chat with my wife while I play. It's not so good because it's a little bit too paint by numbers / boring so far--which I realize is the appeal and also why it doesn't take much focus. Playing with strong monsters and no other draconian options. I maybe just don't like JRPGs that much anymore. I'll probably give it a few more hours, but life is too short to play 15 or however long it takes to "open up."

Derringer

Prophet
The S version is on gamepass, so I've been playing it on PC, Xbox, and also streaming to phone. It's good because it doesn't take much focus so I can chat with my wife while I play. It's not so good because it's a little bit too paint by numbers / boring so far--which I realize is the appeal and also why it doesn't take much focus. Playing with strong monsters and no other draconian options. I maybe just don't like JRPGs that much anymore. I'll probably give it a few more hours, but life is too short to play 15 or however long it takes to "open up."
The game doesn't really go anywhere once it opens up, you go underwater like it's One Piece or something to see mermaids then you get to the generic snow area. The second half of the game splits the party up and everyone does their own unique subquest shit like DQIV mixed with the World of Ruin from FFVI, if that doesn't interest you I'd just stop.

Deleted member 7219

The post-game / true ending content is a hard slog as the monsters get way more tough and even sidequest monsters are hard to beat.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
At that point you can just use those unites to turn enemies into King Metal Slime and level to 99 in ten minutes

5ON5G5E.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom