Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

curds

Magister
Might be time for that difficulty mod.
I'm super curious to try that mod as it seems to fix what few issues I had with DD, but I'm putting off since I've only played through once and didn't finish the post-game stuff or BBI yet.

Reading this thread has gotten me to reinstall and begin a new playthrough. Last time I pretty much went strider the whole way through so this time I plan to try all the other vocations starting with fighter and now mystic knight since I got the augments I wanted from fighter.

I've just completed the Everfall quest, have been using two hired pawns but I think when I get back on today I'm gonna drop them and try play through with just my main pawn, although I won't be strict about it and will recruit hired pawns again if need be (though I imagine that won't happen since it's easy to just grind some levels and gold for equipment if I get stuck).

curds

Magister
I also bought the game for my girlfriend on her xbox but I don't think she likes it very much :(

curds

Magister
One thing I really dislike in Dragon's Dogma - though it's hardly unique to DD - is the OP gear that's in your storage once you reach gran soren in the early game. I know it's easy enough to not use it myself, but it's annoying having to check a pawn's gear to make sure they aren't using it. One of the reasons I'm planning to not use hired pawns. Call me autistic but having access to high level gear early in the game really bugs me when it's just given to you. Would be nice if that world difficulty mod placed that stuff out in the world ala JSawyer mod for FNV.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I've done just about everything there is to do.

Leveled all vocations, maxed character level to 200, amassed millions of gold, have tons of weapons/armor of rare quality and a decent amount of it dragonforged/rarified (still no Devilsbane or Cursed Light), can pretty much crush Bitterblack Isle and farm Awakened Daimon in under thirty seconds, made Death my bitch, dragons have become a trash mob to me, have done all this solo with no pawns, collected sculptures, got all the lore passages, did all the notice board missions, etc.

Yes but how many chicks did you bang?

Inb4 fournival

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
One thing I really dislike in Dragon's Dogma - though it's hardly unique to DD - is the OP gear that's in your storage once you reach gran soren in the early game.
IIRC, those overpowered items that appear in your storage were originally DLC, specifically for the Dark Arisen expansion, but were included as a default part of the computer version three years later. Also, the Eternal Ferrystone was originally a bonus for those who started with the base version of Dragon's Dogma and then purchased Dark Arisen, but the PC and later console releases make it available to everyone.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think I've done just about everything there is to do.

Leveled all vocations, maxed character level to 200, amassed millions of gold, have tons of weapons/armor of rare quality and a decent amount of it dragonforged/rarified (still no Devilsbane or Cursed Light), can pretty much crush Bitterblack Isle and farm Awakened Daimon in under thirty seconds, made Death my bitch, dragons have become a trash mob to me, have done all this solo with no pawns, collected sculptures, got all the lore passages, did all the notice board missions, etc.

Yes but how many chicks did you bang?

Inb4 fournival

tumblr_na867qFjmO1tjs6aso1_500.jpg

Still relevant.

curds

Magister
One thing I really dislike in Dragon's Dogma - though it's hardly unique to DD - is the OP gear that's in your storage once you reach gran soren in the early game.
IIRC, those overpowered items that appear in your storage were originally DLC, specifically for the Dark Arisen expansion, but were included as a default part of the computer version three years later. Also, the Eternal Ferrystone was originally a bonus for those who started with the base version of Dragon's Dogma and then purchased Dark Arisen, but the PC and later console releases make it available to everyone.
Yeah, assumed that was the case. Not a fan of the eternal ferrystone either, ruins a pretty good fast travel system.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, assumed that was the case. Not a fan of the eternal ferrystone either, ruins a pretty good fast travel system.
I don't think the fast travel system here is affected too badly by an eternal ferrystone, sure you would otherwise buy ferrystones, but that's not really a constraint given how abundant money is.

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
You also already have a fairly limited amount of portcrystals to teleport to - especially in NG.
I don't remember how many there actually are around the game world, but a lot of them were also Dark Arisen additions.

curds

Magister
I don't think the fast travel system here is affected too badly by an eternal ferrystone, sure you would otherwise by ferrystone, but that's not really a constraint given how abundant money is.
True enough, good point.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I don't think the fast travel system here is affected too badly by an eternal ferrystone, sure you would otherwise buy ferrystones, but that's not really a constraint given how abundant money is.
In the original version of Dragon's Dogma, each ferrystone cost 20,000 gold (or 10,000 at Fournival, who has a limited number at any time, and only at this reduced price if you establish his innocence), but the Dark Arisen expansion slashed the price of ferrystones to just one-tenth what they had been. This made it relatively trivial to purchase and use them freely, whereas in the original version they were expensive enough that each use had to be carefully considered. I recall some posts in this thread, from people who started with the original version, complaining about fast travel becoming too easy in the Dark Arisen version.

You also already have a fairly limited amount of portcrystals to teleport to - especially in NG.
I don't remember how many there actually are around the game world, but a lot of them were also Dark Arisen additions.
Similarly, the original version only had a single portable Portcrystal located in Bluemoon Tower, meaning that (unless you were continuing in NG+ mode), your only teleport options were back to Gran Soren (the permanent Portcrystal) or to wherever you had laid this one portable Portcrystal after obtaining it during Stage 4. However, the Dark Arisen expansion added another 4 portable Portcrystals, all of them obtained earlier, with the first present in the Everfall where you are directed immediately after entering Gran Soren. Between cheap ferrystones (or the free everlasting ferrystone) and additional portable teleportation spots, fast travel was drastically altered.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Does anyone with intimate knowledge of the game know how often Sapfire Daggers' Lowered Defense procs? Is there an internal cooldown to it? I'm wondering if these can pull ahead of Heaven's Key by way of giving potentially crazy burst damage over the consistency of Holy damage.

fork

I just know that they're awesome with hundred/thousand kisses, I prefer pure strength daggers (Framae Blades) in most situations though. But if you're level 200 and have end-game gear, pretty much any weapon will do. Cheat mode is dragonforged Rusted Bow and Sapfire Daggers/Framae Blades.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yeah at this point I can destroy everything at level 178 but I always enjoy seeing how fast I can melt bosses with tons of HP. As an aside I genuinely think Instant Reset might be the best skill in the game.

To explain: I prefer playing solo and only bringing my pawn with me if I know the area has a maneater somewhere and then tossing them off a cliff, it has pretty much been my new playthrough challenge on Hard Mode. The biggest annoyance used to be double or triple Eliminators that could cause instant death off one knockdown. Instant Reset made these packs complete jokes since you can always avoid that scenario. You can also spam things like Masterful Kill counter attacks or ignore animation locks like whiffing Thousand Kisses or using a jewel or weapon enchant.

I've also learned from old days of DMC if a Capcom game has a cancel option in it, go for it because it'll likely be godly.

Last edited by a moderator:

fork

I always felt taking Instant Reset was a wasted skill slot, since there are so many dagger skills for every vocation I'd rather take, like Hundred/Thousand Kisses, Masterful Kill, Immolation or even Gale Harness, and then something basic against trash mobs like Cutting Wind or Dazzle Blast.
Instant Reset always struck me as a passive, reactive kinda thing you shouldn't have to use. However, while kinda worthless, this is still pretty cool:
Bitterblack_Harbor%2C_running_jump%2C_double_vault%2C_sunflare%2C_instant_rest%2C_sunflare.gif

And I've always been of two minds about Masterfull Kill; it's a bit too easy to use, since it lasts forever, there's no timing needed whatsoever, so it feels a bit like cheating. But that's a pattern in DD: once you know the game, almost everything feels like cheating.

I love to immolate myself before opening chests on BBI btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom