Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a bit of a way to try and manipulate the RNG, make you and your pawn the vocation you're hunting gear for and it'll up the chances of finding it. It seems to draw from a certain pool of items depending on what you/your pawn are currently selected as, there's a whole chart on one of those fan wikis I used. The biggest pain in the ass is Mystic Knight since it has the largest selection and all you want is that fucking shield.
Yeah I'm aware of that RNG. I just also mean drops can be random (of course some function like MonHun parts drops) and upgrading can be a pain esp since for whatever godforsaken reason pawn equipment doesn't get dragonforged on dragon defeat.

Endgame stuff, usually, just isn't my style.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Well there's a general rule of thumb for each area. The most obvious is Daimon will almost always drop Lvl 3 stuff either off his body or in the chests at the very end. Sometimes you get a bunch of rift crystals, though.

Some of the levels will have a chest that can spawn high quality items. Tower of Treasons Repaid if you go to where the pile of bones are/make skeleton enemies there's usually decent items in one of those chests or the locked doors in Bloodless Stockade. For the record, Bloodless Stockade almost always gives you two skeleton keys one of which spawns in a room on the upper level on the table before you drop down in the area which has three chests bunched together and leads to the dark sewers area. The locked cells tend to have Lvl 3 Rings or Augments. Forgotten Hall also has Lvl 3 Rings/Augment chests near the end if you take a right after the Gorecyclops room and you jump up the stone ledges to an alcove, Fallen City is the same way though the chests on where the good stuff is tends to be a bit more random.

There are almost always going to be man-eaters/mimics on these levels, though I don't think they ever spawn in the Fallen City. The chests they tend to spawn is seemingly random but I can tell you in the Garden of Ignominy there are actually two man-eaters lurking in the area. The first is in the large open courtyard that leads to the exit and you'll either fight a gorechimera or get invaded by wargs/Death, one of the chests there tends to be trapped. In my experience it mostly tends to be the chest closest the alternative way into that area if you go through the side rooms/water section. There's also another man-eater chest along that same route, tends to be the lone chest in the room before where you fight some goblins with two other chests. The large open courtyard in Duskmoon Tower always has a man-eater lurking in wait. The one nice thing is they tend to drop good items or rare ore.

The only enemy I think is bullshit are man-eaters. I used to run the augment that made struggling faster but I still felt like I had to break my controller to just barely escape so I said fuck it and took the death. If you're ever hardpressed for Wakestones just run through the Evenfall a couple times. Skeletal Mages/Liches tend to drop them like candy.

And nearly forgot but some enemies have a chance at dropping Lvl 3 stuff as well such as Death, Living Armors or the wyvern enemies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Some people refuse to not be negative.

I finally beat the entire game just the past week, I didn't really find Death and such to be all that fun so I won't go for the Round 2 on Bitterblack Isle. I had this thought for a while but there's an annoying amount of emphasis on gearing in the game that can be the difference between a balanced fight, a cakewalk, or an item spam. I wish there were easier ways to both track down items (was there an in-game bestiary?) as well as better equipment placements so that you don't just rely on the RNG of the game to hand you a good weapon.

Otherwise, my impression is still the same. Amazing game feel, truly modern systematic combat, great atmosphere, the AI is dumb as fuck. The final boss in bitterblack is also a lot more fun than the final boss of the normal game although I'm not really too keen on the RNG of the AI of getting wiped or not. That is not to say what they did with the AI wasn't impressive but if the game had a more direct method of command (do this spell/attack, don't follow me, DON'T do this spell etc) it probably would've fared better.

But yeah, amazing game.
You haven't beaten BBI until you've gone through it twice as it changes quite a bit on the second run through along with the final boss.

Siveon

Bot
Some people refuse to not be negative.

I finally beat the entire game just the past week, I didn't really find Death and such to be all that fun so I won't go for the Round 2 on Bitterblack Isle. I had this thought for a while but there's an annoying amount of emphasis on gearing in the game that can be the difference between a balanced fight, a cakewalk, or an item spam. I wish there were easier ways to both track down items (was there an in-game bestiary?) as well as better equipment placements so that you don't just rely on the RNG of the game to hand you a good weapon.

Otherwise, my impression is still the same. Amazing game feel, truly modern systematic combat, great atmosphere, the AI is dumb as fuck. The final boss in bitterblack is also a lot more fun than the final boss of the normal game although I'm not really too keen on the RNG of the AI of getting wiped or not. That is not to say what they did with the AI wasn't impressive but if the game had a more direct method of command (do this spell/attack, don't follow me, DON'T do this spell etc) it probably would've fared better.

But yeah, amazing game.
You haven't beaten BBI until you've gone through it twice as it changes quite a bit on the second run through along with the final boss.
Meh, my loss. I don't really care.

fork

It'll release soon™ just like Deep Down!
man that game still looks cool as hell

Yes, that's exactly why it hasn't materialised.
Your constant barrage of negative one liners is exhausting.

Are you retarded? On that very same page I made several, positive, pararaph-long posts, you stupid fuck.

All you cretins will have to buy and play DD2 first in order to realise I've been right, huh? In 2021? Okay, if the dozens upon dozens of examples of raped and ruined franchise haven't clued you in.. not everyone is capable of learning from the past.

Siveon

Bot
To be fair, Crimson Desert also supposedly "exists".

EDIT: But thank you for reminding me, I saw it in the TGS conference but it wasn't on steam yet.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Does this get harder at some level? Also if you get the expansion can you skip to it? I heard something about that.

Rafidur

Learned
You can go to the expansion immediately after the intro, just go to the docks of noob town at night (and get dunked on, you need throwable items or to push enemies into pits to kill anything at level 1).

curds

Magister
Does this get harder at some level? Also if you get the expansion can you skip to it? I heard something about that.
It gets easier until you "finish" the game and reach the post game content, or until you reach the expansion. The main game is very easy. Hard mode is supposedly easier (I haven't tried it) since you gain XP and gold at a much higher rate.

Yes, you can go straight to the expansion, once you pass a certain point in the early game.

Made it to the final boss fight, with fucking Grigori.

Whatever retard designed this fight clearly didn't balance it for melee classes, especially a fighter, which is what I am using. Goddamn it's tedious and soul crushing to have to climb his fucking forelegs to get to the heart, only to be able to take down a bit of a healthbar when he has like 9 of them. Plus 8/10 times you climb, he flicks you off, or flies up and drops you off from 3 miles up, or floats up so you need to run 3 miles to a ballista, or some other annoying shit. One shot kill breath? Check. Jumps around every 2 seconds, so you need to run for a mile to get back in position? Check. Pawns mostly useless? Check.

After 3-4 tries where I died to one of the above (3 mile drop when he flies up, or a killer fireball, etc), I had one long run going where I took him down 2.5 bars, but that took like 30 RL minutes, and I had to go do something, so yeah...

Why do devs always insist on an annoying-ass final boss fight?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Whatever retard designed this fight clearly didn't balance it for melee classes, especially a fighter, which is what I am using. Goddamn it's tedious and soul crushing to have to climb his fucking forelegs to get to the heart, only to be able to take down a bit of a healthbar when he has like 9 of them. Plus 8/10 times you climb, he flicks you off, or flies up and drops you off from 3 miles up, or floats up so you need to run 3 miles to a ballista, or some other annoying shit. One shot kill breath? Check. Jumps around every 2 seconds, so you need to run for a mile to get back in position? Check. Pawns mostly useless? Check.

After 3-4 tries where I died to one of the above (3 mile drop when he flies up, or a killer fireball, etc), I had one long run going where I took him down 2.5 bars, but that took like 30 RL minutes, and I had to go do something, so yeah...

Final boss too hard, hurr durr.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
More annoying than hard.

:nocountryforshitposters:

Have you considered the possibility that you're just terrible in this, just like in every other aspect of your sad little life?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom