Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Relax butthurt fanboys
why are you like this

Why not? :smug:

Jokes aside though, I just came in to validly complain about that fight being badly balanced for fighters (which is pretty obvious to anyone without an agenda), and all the butthurt fanboys start flooding me with their tears... Cannot say anything bad about my dream game, WAAAAAA WAAAAA....

Plus it's a good way to farm Zed for negative posts.

Delterius

Arcane
Relax butthurt fanboys
why are you like this

Why not? :smug:

Jokes aside though, I just came in to validly complain about that fight being badly balanced for fighters (which is pretty obvious to anyone without an agenda), and all the butthurt fanboys start flooding me with their tears... Cannot say anything bad about my dream game, WAAAAAA WAAAAA....

Plus it's a good way to farm Zed for negative posts.
i dunno i think you should have used the ballista. or hired a bunch of ranged pawns. or gotten the faster climbing ability from striders.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
PorkyThePaladin's posts are like a talking facepalm emoji.

Alright. Yes, the problem is the game, not you, just like pretty much every other game I've seen you post about. Weird how that works. Anyway, enjoy your safe space and send my regards to your mother.
imagine getting filtered by one of the best dragon fights in gaming, kek. I say this as someone who plays mystic knight. Sure I can use my elemental cannon but I mostly just climb up and whack his weak spot with my mace until he dead
The fuck lol, I've always played fighter and mystic knight in DD and never had any issue with Grigori.

The 9 health bars aren't a problem at all, if you're hitting the weak spots they go down very fast. They're merely an illusion to make the player apprehensive about what's ahead of him, mechanically they're the same as a single health bar.
If you began as a fighter, you could have reached rank 9, switched to warrior, reached rank 9 in that vocation as well, and then switched to mystic knight, so that you would have ranged abilities for use in the fight. Although even with a fighter/warrior, you should be capable of climbing the dragon and dealing immense damage to its heart (climbing gloves help). Sounds as though your party composition is terrible, and you're probably poorly equipped as well, but instead of remedying the situation you blame the game. Try re-tooling your party so that it's better suited against the Dragon, and make sure your character has better equipment so that you aren't dying instantly to dragonsbreath and can deal adequate damage. :M
why are you like this
Please always keep my signature in mind whenever you interact with Porky. Thanks.

i dunno i think you should have used the ballista.

I did...

or hired a bunch of ranged pawns.

I did...

or gotten the faster climbing ability from striders.

If I am complaining about one class, don't tell me to multi-class. Zed Dolt of Butthurtville already made that logical mistake.

Who do you think you are talking to? After all, as my dawg NJClaw says: I completed everything from Dark Souls 1-3 to Shitmaker on Challenging. ;)

mogwaimon

Magister
i dunno i think you should have used the ballista.

I did...

or hired a bunch of ranged pawns.

I did...

or gotten the faster climbing ability from striders.

If I am complaining about one class, don't tell me to multi-class. Zed Dolt of Butthurtville already made that logical mistake.

Who do you think you are talking to? After all, as my dawg NJClaw says: I completed everything from Dark Souls 1-3 to Shitmaker on Challenging. ;)

the thing is the game encourages you to multi-class, even going so far as to make your stat gains per level based entirely on what class you happen to be when you level up. admittedly it's not a great system IMO, but even without having meta knowledge of the stat distribution system getting some experience with other classes allows you to pick up desirable skills from those classes to use on your main class.

Rafidur

Learned
The stat growth system is a bad example, because it encourages you to spend the whole game as assassin or sorc or something, until you have BBI tier 3 weapons and your stats don't matter but at this point you have finished everything already.

A much better argument would be the augments - they encourage you to level everything then mix and match.

mogwaimon

Magister
The stat growth system is a bad example, because it encourages you to spend the whole game as assassin or sorc or something, until you have BBI tier 3 weapons and your stats don't matter but at this point you have finished everything already.

A much better argument would be the augments - they encourage you to level everything then mix and match.

the thing is the game encourages you to multi-class, even going so far as to make your stat gains per level based entirely on what class you happen to be when you level up. admittedly it's not a great system IMO, but even without having meta knowledge of the stat distribution system getting some experience with other classes allows you to pick up desirable skills from those classes to use on your main class.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Relax butthurt fanboys
why are you like this
Porky the Popamoler has the long-ingrained habit of making blitheringly idiotic posts about whatever game he is playing and then reacting with intense butthurt at the responses from people knowledgeable about the game, even though the responses typically demonstrate remarkable restraint by Codex standards. In fact, he's even expanded the subject matter covered by this behavior from videogames to topics in the Codex Public Library forum.

Keep in mind this is the same person who entered a hundred random dungeons he stumbled across in Morrowind, and then complained they didn't have quests attached to them, only rarely had powerful artifacts, and that he found them repetitive. :M

Sharpedge

Prophet
Eh, I did most of the obvious stuff, without grinding, and I am at Grigori at level 44. I mean it's a winnable fight, but just goes so slow...

It may be because of your equipment. I seem to remember that gear's stats are more important than character's stats for the most part, so if you can, buy and upgrade as much as you are able your gear. Also bring a pawn with Ice/Dark enchantments, that also may help.
Pretty much this. Item stats matter significantly more than your character stats for the purposes of clearing the game. Having items with the right enchantments to counter whatever you are fighting will make fights significantly easier. You do not need to look it up online either, typically what you can do is carry around a bunch of different enchanted weapons then listen to the pawn callouts as they learn enemy weaknesses. Sure their voices can become annoying, but for the most part they do correctly call out what weaknesses each enemy has. Here is a video showcasing someone who approaches the game with the approach of carrying around a full arsenal, fighting a Cursed Dragon at level 40 with their vocation only being level 4 (they are also very good at the game though).

However it is also a case of every class to some degree having some enemy type that they "struggle" against more than other classes. Fighting a Golem on a Sorcerer for example is just downright tedious. If you don't have a pawn who does physical damage the fight will take forever. Flying enemies on the other hand are more annoying for close combat characters. Personally I liked this though and found it more immersive than many other RPGs as a result of it. Different combat approaches should struggle against different types of enemies.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Having items with the right enchantments to counter whatever you are fighting will make fights significantly easier.

That sounds like terrible design. Your weapon is part if your character's identity, so carrying a bunch of different weapons seems quite anti-RPG.

Porky the Popamoler has the long-ingrained habit of making blitheringly idiotic posts about whatever game he is playing and then reacting with intense butthurt at the responses from people knowledgeable about the game, even though the responses typically demonstrate remarkable restraint by Codex standards. In fact, he's even expanded the subject matter covered by this behavior from videogames to topics in the Codex Public Library forum.

Keep in mind this is the same person who entered a hundred random dungeons he stumbled across in Morrowind, and then complained they didn't have quests attached to them, only rarely had powerful artifacts, and that he found them repetitive. :M

It really hurts you, doesn't it, that you have never been able to counter any of my arguments against any of your favorite things. To a man with a higher IQ that might have pointed out that his tastes happen to be bad, but you, no you persevere in your bad takes.

That's cool, it's a free country after all, but no matter what you say, Morrowind DOES have extremely repetitive dungeons, Grigory IS terribly balanced for fighters, Gene Wolfe is just not fun to read at all, and considering that you literally negatively mark every single post I make while I am merely amused by yours, the only hurt butt around here is... your face. :smug:

Lizard

Learned
Is it a bad idea to skip the Everfall stuff? I am not really enjoying it.

Playing a warrior btw.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It really hurts you, doesn't it, that you have never been able to counter any of my arguments against any of your favorite things. To a man with a higher IQ that might have pointed out that his tastes happen to be bad, but you, no you persevere in your bad takes.

That's cool, it's a free country after all, but no matter what you say, Morrowind DOES have extremely repetitive dungeons, Grigory IS terribly balanced for fighters, Gene Wolfe is just not fun to read at all, and considering that you literally negatively mark every single post I make while I am merely amused by yours, the only hurt butt around here is... your face. :smug:
Cope:
ql3q60.png

Perhaps you should ruminate on the fact that you couldn't think to use ice magic against a fire-breathing dragon, then came here to complain about how difficult the fight was.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is it a bad idea to skip the Everfall stuff? I am not really enjoying it.

Playing a warrior btw.

I liked it, but you can go straight to Bitterblack Isle if you want. There would be points where you will notice the difficulty ramping up.

Zeriel

Arcane
Relax, butthurt fanboys, I just took out Grigori. It was still annoying and took a long time.

I love some of the advice, like our idiot friend Zed Duke of Butthurtville.

Porky: this fight is unbalanced and screws over fighters
Zed: Ugh, <rubs butthurt from previous threads where Porky owned him with cream>, you should multi class to Warrior and other classes. Or failing that, you should get this specific item that helps with this specific fight, cause that's how I play games, by reading up on them first and meta-gaming like the munchkin that I am. Screw people that just pick games up and play for fun.

Anyways, as far as the fight itself, apparently Grigori is weak to dark magic, but since I didn't meta-research it beforehand, I hired a lightning mage, a strider, and my main healbot pawn. Mostly they were useless, but once every blue moon, the lightning dolt would cast lightning enhancement on me at the exact time I was beating on the dragon's heart, hanging from his chest, and then it actually helped to up the damage. Mostly they d would cast that lightning enhancement when I was running between dragon's legs on the ground, dodging fireballs and shits.

VERY annoying fight for melee, but at least the loot dropped was great. Love the sword and shield.

I did it with daggers and it was super easy.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Porky be sure to use Holy enchantments/buffs against the Dark Bishop on Bitterblack Isle. Makes the fight way easier, trust me.

:) Just giving a nice Nintendo hotline tip to my nigga. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom