Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Generic-Giant-Spider

If you had told me five years ago that fucking Monster Hunter of all the Capcom franchises would release a game and become their best selling title of all time I would have honestly gone to great, unnecessary and petty lengths to see to it you were ridiculed in public for the remainder of your life.

I think Dragon's Dogma 2 would be fine when it comes to making money. The best thing to happen to DD has already happened: a decent enough following actually played the game over the years and realize it has among the best combat in the whole genre. People used to think this game was just some Skyrim or Dark Souls wannabe, now not so much.

For the record this game shits on Skyrim/Dark Souls if you ask me.

curds

Magister
It's probably been said already but the one thing I want most from a DD sequel would be better/more hand placed loot. The placement of chests in hidden spots that you needed to explore/use parkour to get to was so good, but it was disappointing when the majority of times you would only get some generic item you could find/buy anywhere else. If I peek over the edge of a cliff and see a ledge, drop down onto it and explore the ridges to find a chest, I want it to have some rare equipment I can't find anywhere else, not some herb or some arrows.

Oh and better balanced difficulty where the game doesn't become a cakewalk within the first few hours. Figuring out a better system for curative use rather than being able to pause the game and spam them would probably be enough.

Aside from those points it was a pretty much perfect game for me.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's probably been said already but the one thing I want most from a DD sequel would be better/more hand placed loot. The placement of chests in hidden spots that you needed to explore/use parkour to get to was so good, but it was disappointing when the majority of times you would only get some generic item you could find/buy anywhere else. If I peek over the edge of a cliff and see a ledge, drop down onto it and explore the ridges to find a chest, I want it to have some rare equipment I can't find anywhere else, not some herb or some arrows.
As strange as it is, finding most of those chest through the simplistic (but satisfying) parkour and clever routes were more of a treasure to me than most of what I found within. Which of course shows a problem in the loot system but it does show a master class in level design.

curds

Magister
As strange as it is, finding most of those chest through the simplistic (but satisfying) parkour and clever routes were more of a treasure to me than most of what I found within. Which of course shows a problem in the loot system but it does show a master class in level design.
Totally. I get what you mean. But for me, the satisfaction I felt from finding the chests in those little hidden nooks was heavily dulled by what I usually found within them. It was fine in the beginning of the game, but once you're 10 or so hours in you kinda realise there's not really any point even searching for the chests, which I found extra disappointing given how much care clearly went into the placement of them.

Edit: actually upon rereading your comment it seems maybe I didn't know what you meant. Thought you were disagreeing but I think we have the same opinion.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Lack of hand placed items would be one of my few complaints about DD. I think the vanilla game had some hand placed items but Dark Arisen it's mostly trying to score lvl 2/3 weapon/armor drops. I guess I could kind of understand why they went with a more RNG style system there since the power of those items is pretty immense and you could easily just suicide run towards hand placed locations with wakestone farming the Everfall.

curds

Magister
I guess I could kind of understand why they went with a more RNG style system there since the power of those items is pretty immense and you could easily just suicide run towards hand placed locations with wakestone farming the Everfall.
Let the players suicide run to the best gear if they want, I say. I can't think of an RPG-style game (somewhat hesitant to call DD a true RPG) made worse by having handplaced loot.

Okay, maybe something like Diablo would suffer from it, but you know what I mean.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't remember ever finding hand placed items in DD, or if I did they weren't exciting. To me it was more about finding valuable treasure you could sell to build up money in town to buy the good stuff at the shops.

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, a lot of the progressively best weapons and armor in the game can be found in hand-placed chests, often times found in dungeons.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Cool. I guess it wouldn't bother me for more hand placed loot to be out there. I wasn't a min maxer anyway, I just went to the shops and bought the armor that would turn heads on the streets, so I don't care either way.

curds

Magister
Cool. I guess it wouldn't bother me for more hand placed loot to be out there. I wasn't a min maxer anyway, I just went to the shops and bought the armor that would turn heads on the streets, so I don't care either way.
I'm not a minmaxer either. I just see it as a waste of all those cleverly placed chests if there's nothing useful in them.

Zombra

Patron
I'm not a minmaxer either. I just see it as a waste of all those cleverly placed chests if there's nothing useful in them.
Yeah. It was lame to find a handful of dry grass in a chest. I'd rather see chests with "tiered" salable loot based on how hard it was to find/get to. Personally I'd be happier to find diamonds or something than some hand placed Druid Staff of Awesome. I'm a fighter, what the hell do I care about druid shit, give me gold

fork

I enjoyed running for level 3 Bitterblack armor/weapons and becoming more and more efficient at the run, which included killing Daimon of course, since there were the guaranteed chests. I also enjoyed opening the same chests everywhere multiple times and hope to roll somthing better out of the loot table. IMO it's a perfect blend of handplaced and randomised loot, which also helps keep both loot and vendor's items relevant.
The game is perfect, and the only things that could make it better would've been more dungeons like BBI, more enemy types, and a couple more classes and weapon types. Oh, and for a sequel, better graphics, but that's least important (but the only thing we would get in a sequel, to the detriment of everything else).

Generic-Giant-Spider

Running for bitterblack gear is made a lot less annoying than it would typically be in another game because the combat is fun as fucking for the third time, the environment/atmosphere and enemy designs is dark fantasy done right and there's good challenge depending on how the post-Daimon levels spawn the enemy encounters.

It's always amusing when Japanese developers decide to try their hand at a Western RPG style game they tend to knock it out of the park.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Most chests randomly return one of several items assigned to that chest, so it is possible to acquire weapons, armor/clothing, and other items that are otherwise hard-to-find or expensive, but you might never realize that a particular item can be obtained from a particular chest without looking it up. For example, at Heavenspeak Fort, "the tier 3 chest in the room where the bandit's converge at night may contain: Maiden's Camisole, Noblewoman's Corset, Silk Lingerie, Scarlet Cape or Nimble Earring". I suppose the chests that are difficult to reach would be more rewarding if they were simply fixed to a single, good item.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I think the funnest vocations in this game are Assassin, Mystic Knight and Sorcerer.

I like to play Mystic Knight as Holy focused and the perfect block mechanic gets the most mileage with this class once you get the Reflect skill I think it's called. It also helps that a lot of monsters on Bitterblack are susceptible to Holy attacks, especially those annoying as fuck wraiths. I think only the Dark Bishop boss is straight up resistant to Holy due to his aura (but I learned a Jewel of Summoning completely rapes him due to being Dark and hitting like a truck, can pretty much kill him off the first knockdown). The versatility Mystic Knight offers is hard to turn away from and some of their skills like the sigils just destroy enemies. Even though they have all elements at their disposal, playing an MK as though they are a Paladin/Templar style class is truly a joy. One of the best classes in an RPG in my view.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Magick Archer can also be a lot of fun, between things like immolation, explosive rivets, and ricochet shot in the BBI tunnels...

And some people love warrior for massive hits from the arc of... (it looks cool, but I have trouble being patient enough for it)

Really though, I think there's something great about every vocation in the game.

deuxhero

Arcane
If you had told me five years ago that fucking Monster Hunter of all the Capcom franchises would release a game and become their best selling title of all time I would have honestly gone to great, unnecessary and petty lengths to see to it you were ridiculed in public for the remainder of your life.

Five years ago, Monster Hunter already occupied four of Capcom's 10 best selling titles ever despite most releases having been on systems utterly unsuited for it (single analog) and having no western presence. Mind you the number three title (Street Fighter II) had an endless number of ports and rereleases combined into one listing.

Generic-Giant-Spider

The fact you used italics and bold has left me no choice but for me to request you ask someone close-by to punch you in the face on my behalf.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I think I've done just about everything there is to do.

Leveled all vocations, maxed character level to 200, amassed millions of gold, have tons of weapons/armor of rare quality and a decent amount of it dragonforged/rarified (still no Devilsbane or Cursed Light), can pretty much crush Bitterblack Isle and farm Awakened Daimon in under thirty seconds, made Death my bitch, dragons have become a trash mob to me, have done all this solo with no pawns, collected sculptures, got all the lore passages, did all the notice board missions, etc.

Might be time for that difficulty mod.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom