Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Syril, Dec 2, 2011.

1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Funny, I usually carry a couple with me where the weapons are differentiated enough.

^ Top  
  2. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Played a bit of Bitterblack Isle at level 53. I can take on regular monsters with ease (e.g. Trolls, Giant Saurians, etc), but the bosses take way too little damage. A lot of people suggest going there at level 100+, I am definitely not grinding that much. Will probably call it quits at this point, though might come back later to try a different vocation.

Calm your butthurts, fanboys, here are my objective takes on Dragon's Dogma:

- The combat itself is pretty good for an aRPG, there are a ton of abilities, animations, good solid feel to it. Climbing on giant enemies is pretty neat. Compared to something like Skyrim, it's great. But on the other hand, it lacks the elegance and player skill component of something like Dark Souls. Enemies have very high damage reduction, so you can only damage them with appropriate weapon, level, enchantment, etc. Also, the way enemies often gang up on you and the way the abilities work, it's usually just easier to spam some fancy attack rather than be reactive as in real combat.

- The story has some interesting philosophical/religious overtones and novel angles, but it's mostly hidden beneath mountains of confusing writing and voice-overs, and tons of MMO-type quests. And just being the Arisen takes the whole chosen one retardation to the next level. All the NPCs keep ranting theatrical lines for every little thing, which is not a good thing either.

- Exploration isn't that great either, and what first seems like an open world continent quickly becomes a hub (Gran Soren) with a few spokes (paths you can take from there). Until you get portocrystals, it's really tedious too.

So between the combat system and some novel story angles, it's not a terrible game or anything, but too many flaws to be considered really good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    me watching as Bitterblack Isle claims another casual soul

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • nice nice x 1
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Licorice Arcane Vatnik Wumao

Licorice
    2020. Civilization has progressed little.
    Based Geese

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. mogwaimon Magister

mogwaimon
    since when do Soulsborne games have difficulty options that you can access before beating the game? top kek mate, get back to me when you beat Sekiro, that one was more infuriating than the Souls games. And are you even playing Dragon's Dogma on hard?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. curds Prophet

curds
    I may be mistaken but I think DD has a sort of armour class system similar to DnD where if you aren't reaching the requirement you deal pretty much no damage.

^ Top  
  7. Matador Arcane

Matador
    The less prestigious Dragon's Dogma enjoyer.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    WELL AKSHUALLY, DD on Hard is actually easy due to the increased xp/gold you get per enemy and certain augments scaling much better in Hard which you can use to counter the disadvantages they try to impose. I think Pawns also get better in Hard as well or they take less damage or something like that.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Rafidur Learned

Rafidur
    IIRC the formula is basically based on attack - defense.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Nonsense, BBI is not hard per se, it just requires grinding, getting better equipment, etc. That's only worth it if you really enjoyed the base game. I didn't.

It's even worse than that. In addition to that, there seem to be some damage type thresholds too, like for example the undead ghouls take barely any damage from physical weapons, but enchant a sword with fire and they go down in 2 hits. Some people might enjoy the kind of "swap pawns" or guzzle consumables gameplay that this encourages, but I am not a fan. I much prefer the Dark Souls approach where the focus is on timing, player skill, and understanding enemy mechanics.

They don't, but completing them on regular difficulty is probably harder than Hard in many other games. For example, my DaS1 achievement for completing the game has been gotten by only 20% of players.

As my spider minion outlined above, the general consensus seems to be that Hard Mode in DD is actually easier than regular, due to increased exp gain (basically tougher start, but quickly snowballs in much easier mid-late game). So that's why I played it on normal, usually I play RPGs on harder settings.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Look, you're gonna play BBI whether you like it or not. You've come this far, may as well do it all. This is also the best part of DD to many people.

Yeah.

Wait.

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. mogwaimon Magister

mogwaimon
    well AKSHUALLY despite Hard mode's EXP bonuses and the like it also seems to scale BBI pretty high because that dungeon is hard as shit on hard mode...I guess that's a moot point though because Porky is opting out of the hardest content in the game despite being a hardcore gamer :smug:

in regards to Soulsborne, they're not really 'that' hard once you get the hang of them with the exception of some areas and bosses...and even then I find it laughable that you're lording a clear of the games over the rest of us as though it makes you superior when the NG+ in those games can scale high enough to be more difficult than the original run. We've all beaten at least one run of Dark Souls here dude.

(also hate to tell ya but your 20% of players achievement? that only applies to the Steam version of the game, not anyone on console. And even then for DaS1 that's split between the PtD edition and Remastered, so....them numbers ain't exactly accurate boi)

EDIT: oh and the original Dragon's Dogma back on the 360 had a harder main game, at least it felt like that to me because I remember it kicking my ass quite a bit more than the Dark Arisen version.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    In BBI you generally have multiple directions you can go, so if the encounters are too rough on one path, the other one is likely doable and you'll pick up levels and better gear along there, then you come back to the harder path. Or I've seen low level characters, I'm talking level 5, use the explosive barrels laying around to do AoE damage to enemies that far exceeds what they could do themselves. Ranged classes have an extra advantage of being able to set themselves up in places the enemy can't get to them. Maybe because I was willing to class change I never had to grind coming into BBI at 55, though the vast majority of my playtime across all of DD was on Fighter and Mystic Knight. A very unoptimized MK because of this, but oh well.

^ Top  
  14. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Dark Souls games are just SOME of the ones I beat that most of you haven't. In terms of %'s and numbers, I have far more impressive achievements.

For example, I beat KCD on Hardcore, which 0.9% of players on Steam did, Shitmaker on Challenging or above (1.1%), D:OS on Tactician (3.0%), Expeditions: Viking on High or above (3.7%), etc. Come at me, breh. ;)

• cool story bro cool story bro x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. mogwaimon Magister

mogwaimon
    Well fair enough, I can't claim to have beaten those games. That's not to say that I can't, I just haven't played them yet

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Bro that's nice but remember the lease expires on Friday. I expect him returned in decent shape.

^ Top  
  17. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    MY BODY MY CHOICE

• No No x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    You say that, but your wife's gonna eat you one day anyway.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Not unless I remain pure.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Bruh you're a spider gorging on frozen food.

^ Top  
  21. Generic-Giant-Spider Arcane

Generic-Giant-Spider
    This is to boost my radiation resistance stat.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    If you need to boost it, it means you've already been irradiated. Sorry bro.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    No it doesn't you level up pretty fast in BBI. The only way it would be hard is if you have split damage weapons and therefore can't get past their physical defense and magical defense. Go pure physical weapon and it's fine. Stop making up BS.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Rafidur Learned

Rafidur
    You can start BBI at level 1 with throwblasts and tossing people into pits for exp. Dude just needs to apply his mad dark souls skills and he'll be fine.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Google BBI suggested level: most search results suggest 100+. Some outliers suggest 60+.

Random codex idiot: yeah, when I was a kid, I did BBI at level 10, with both my brain cells tied behind my back...

• retadred x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.