Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
As a huge fan of DD ( it 's one of my favorite games) i can agree that the damage formula is retarded. I could see this with my ranger in BBI where multiple arrows attacks, even if cumulative damage was high, did no damage to bosses, because each arrow damage did not pass defense threeshold. While attacks like brutal arrow did significant damage. not to talk about the same multiple arrow skills like tenfold arrow, wich were normally 0 dmg skill against bbi bosses, with the addition of explosive arrows or whatever became super uber op. I used that against the last boss (second form) of bbi and he just vanished from existence in 15 seconds, leaving me stolen of a final boss challenge. Generally speaking , damage dormula and damage /defense balancing in DD was a mess

Grimlorn

Arcane
I don't die to bosses like Pinwheel.

That's what you say. But for all we know, maybe you died to him 30 times. Maybe 40.
iu

Zeriel

Arcane
I love this game very much, but come on, the Grigori fight fucking sucks.
How does he sucks? His size? The cinematic sequences? Because other than that, he's really no different than the other draconic minibosses at all.
Bunch of cinematics/QTEs then the last bit which is an actual fight is fine, but nothing special.

in what alien language does this translate to "the fight fucking sucks"?

I think it's fine as a cinematic once-over, but if you do it more than once it is pretty annoying and lame.

Actually, my point was that I finished it at an earlier level than most, making BBI even more annoying to tackle without further grinding. But I suppose that went over your head. Carry on.

GreyViper

Prophet
Uhh so I was one of the Codexers who went Bitterblack at lvl 10 and did the whole from rags to riches thing there. Not sure what to say sneaking and cheesing bosses to progress into a deeper dungeon was fun when you can pull it off. Not saying its for everyone.
It same as running to that gate where the merchant sold some high-tier gear. Nobody says you need to do it at start, but hey if you got dosh, why not?
Besides if you made it through the dark mines and night forest, the griffin, hydra, the cyclops the goblins and other mobs why not enjoy the spoils?

I love DD and have played it since release on PS3 (that version was shit because the framerate was often sub-20), but I'm one of the few fans who isn't crazy about BBI. I much prefer the base game.

However, I do understand its appeal and why most people think it's the best part of the game. It's a great dungeon crawl.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I love DD and have played it since release on PS3 (that version was shit because the framerate was often sub-20), but I'm one of the few fans who isn't crazy about BBI. I much prefer the base game.

However, I do understand its appeal and why most people think it's the best part of the game. It's a great dungeon crawl.

Yeah, same for me on the PS3. I think BBI is a well designed dungeon and it's nice to dive in a bit to grind for a few extra levels, but I didn't feel so drawn in that I needed to complete it. I explored a bit and had some fun and then decided to go back and complete the game so I could retire with my true love of Mercedes Marten...

and still got stuck with the duchess. Come on game, if you are going to stick me with a romance option I didn't want, you could at least have stuck me with Madeleine.

Grimlorn

Arcane

The extra enemy variety was what made that area. If they had those enemies placed throughout the main game and it balanced better, it would have been great. Because the base game pretty much becomes piss easy after level 30s, and there are just the same orcs, harpies, and wolves everywhere. That's why a sequel has so much potential to be great because they could keep those same mobs, and add a few more, they just need to build an open world with it all in it.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

The extra enemy variety was what made that area. If they had those enemies placed throughout the main game and it balanced better, it would have been great. Because the base game pretty much becomes piss easy after level 30s, and there are just the same orcs, harpies, and wolves everywhere. That's why a sequel has so much potential to be great because they could keep those same mobs, and add a few more, they just need to build an open world with it all in it.

I'd also say the mood and atmosphere of BBI added a lot to it. As fun as it is to wander around the countryside in the base game, BBI is a very tight, focused experience that was done well. Besides, even though it's easy mode, using ricochet shot cheese in BBI's tight tunnels and corridors was hilarious. Shooting death around the corner or just repeatedly nailing him with bounces and watching the poor bastard melt. Good times.

Delterius

Arcane

Yeah, same for me on the PS3. I think BBI is a well designed dungeon and it's nice to dive in a bit to grind for a few extra levels, but I didn't feel so drawn in that I needed to complete it. I explored a bit and had some fun and then decided to go back and complete the game so I could retire with my true love of Mercedes Marten...

and still got stuck with the duchess. Come on game, if you are going to stick me with a romance option I didn't want, you could at least have stuck me with Madeleine.
you're lucky. over 17,000 japanese gamers got stuck with the literal child and were summarily executed by the emperor.

Oh, that's my mistake then. Seems like you got butthurt after killing Grigori, not before. My bad.

So if me saying that the Grigori fight is poorly balanced for the Fighter vocation, because they have to climb all over a flying monster with ADD that can't sit still for 2 seconds, as opposed to say archers or mages who can just shoot at his G spot from the ground counts as being "butthurt", what doesn't count as being butthurt to a moron like you? Do you just run through every game humming "happy happy joy joy" to yourself and pretend to love every single feature and aspect of everything? Or is there some line where it's ok to criticize or point out some aspect of the game you don't like? Asking for a friend.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
It's okay to be butthurt. This is a safe space. Please tell me more, and don't forget to regularly include your achievements as well as plethora of experience with games such as "beat Dark Souls" or "beat Demon Souls" or "beat Dark Souls 2". Do you have a blog or youtube channel I can subscribe to?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's okay to be butthurt. This is a safe space. Please tell me more, and don't forget to regularly include your achievements as well as plethora of experience with games such as "beat Dark Souls" or "beat Demon Souls" or "beat Dark Souls 2". Do you have a blog or youtube channel I can subscribe to?

Be nice to Porky. He plays games to have fun, not like NEETs or children. He just wants to be understood.

n4TGd7G.jpg

So you completely avoid answering my previous question, because obviously you have no answer. Kinda weak sauce, bre...

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So if me saying that the Grigori fight is poorly balanced for the Fighter vocation, because they have to climb all over a flying monster with ADD that can't sit still for 2 seconds, as opposed to say archers or mages who can just shoot at his G spot from the ground counts as being "butthurt", what doesn't count as being butthurt to a moron like you?
It really isn't that annoying. I beat it as a warrior and I had no issue climbing.
Actually, how big was your character by the way? I mean height and all?

Reinhardt

Arcane

Be nice to Porky. He plays games to have fun, not like NEETs or children. He just wants to be understood.

n4TGd7G.jpg
hey, i play for many hours too! can i join your after school club?

Cunt Dickula!?

Just started playing. It's dangerously based. Too based for Codex probably.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom