Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All these augments are shit! It feels like they do nothing!
Yeah, even Clout and Autonomy only give 20-30% bonuses. By the time you get them you've already gained much more from leveling and better weapons. When people say they're awesome they're talking about the original game where these augs were OP.

Sinew, Egression, and Leg Strength are probably all I care about. Run faster, escape from ogres and mimics faster, and carry more shit.
Predation is a handy thing to have too.

Black

Arcane
Black can you find a Sorcerer lvl 67 named ***us? It's Titus but the game dotted "tit" in his name. I dropped the game at the beginning of BBI a few years ago.
No, but if you dropped the game few years ago that's pretty normal, I think the pawns that appear in search are the most recently updated ones.

yellowcake

Arcane
Black can you find a Sorcerer lvl 67 named ***us? It's Titus but the game dotted "tit" in his name. I dropped the game at the beginning of BBI a few years ago.
No, but if you dropped the game few years ago that's pretty normal, I think the pawns that appear in search are the most recently updated ones.

Yeah I probably need to go sleep in the tavern to freshen things up but I can't remember how to play the damn game anymore and in my save I stand next to Baruch. I'll let you know when I get things around.

FriendlyMerchant

I don't know why... Feisty French shiksa really do it for me.
rIF0d72.jpg

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've killed my first Wyvern (?) today. I must be shooting pretty high, because it took me a boatload of heals and an extra pawn to do it. But I did it! What a fight.

Coincidentally... why can't I stop playing this game?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've killed my first Wyvern (?) today. I must be shooting pretty high, because it took me a boatload of heals and an extra pawn to do it. But I did it! What a fight.

Coincidentally... why can't I stop playing this game?
If it was where I think it was in front of the Shadow Fort at night then, yeah, that's usually pretty challenging when you get to it. I'm pretty sure that's by design.

Anyway, enjoy. You only get to play it for the first time once.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Okay, I have a (potentially) retarded question: can I shoot arrows through a Cyclops' slit when they're wearing a helmet? Is that possible? Or do I absolutely have to find a way to shake the helmet off?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I tend to agree with at least several of these critiques and DD2 wishlist. I figured it was noteworthy simply because he's articulating a few things I've never bothered to try and list.

Above anything, I want them to put in more manwork towards expanding the Monster Manual. Starting with lifting part of what DDO introduced; Orcs, Trolls, Ghosts, Death Knights, Sphinxes, Medusae and Manticores to be particular.

Well Death Knights are kinda-sorta in BBI, though there are only a few of them.
Ghosts are basically in already, not sure how you'd distinguish them from the wisp type enemies.

Medusae could be interesting, though stoning probably would be a temporary debuff and health drain of some sort instead of an instakill.
Manticores would be badass and they could probably make the base pretty easily by modifying the chimera model and moveset.

Orcs are just sort of boring and in my mind, basically covered by the larger hobgoblin enemies.
Trolls might be interesting if they have a regeneration and regeneration stopping mechanic.

Why do you want to see sphinxes? What would you do with them inside a DD style game, assuming they don't bring in dialogue?

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Medusae could be interesting, though stoning probably would be a temporary debuff and health drain of some sort instead of an instakill.
Petrification already existed in Dragon's Dogma as a debuff instilled by cockatrices, among others, that could be removed before causing death. From the link to the DDO medusa page, it seems that medusae in this game similarly inflicted the existing petrification status, though of course it wouldn't be caused merely by glancing at a medusa's head as in classical mythology or the D&D/AD&D monster.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Well Death Knights are kinda-sorta in BBI, though there are only a few of them.
The Living Armors? Simple, have them as a family variant that trades the shield for a lantern with disabling and incapacitating magic and more aggressive swordplay. I don't know if they're going to adhere to some clause in the lore that keeps Death bound to BBI, but mini-bosses that carry on his likeness are an acceptable substitute.
Ghosts are basically in already, not sure how you'd distinguish them from the wisp type enemies.
As Spectral-type enemies that don't rely on slow movement and possession to deal and be susceptible to damage, maybe as an inverse that flies around quickly and deals pure contact damage. Ghosts work best in flying swarms after all.
I'd rather their take on petrification be through a channeled gaze attack rather than black mist the cockatrices spend so much time charging up. Honestly I'd prefer it if petrification were altered to increase purely on exposure time rather than gradually following exposure, I think it could lead to funny outcomes with parties of stiff, nigh-statues having to gimpily drag themselves around before being cured entirely.
Manticores would be badass and they could probably make the base pretty easily by modifying the chimera model and moveset.
:obviously: Trade the goat and the snake tail for a poison stinger and attacks that make use of it.
Why do you want to see sphinxes? What would you do with them inside a DD style game, assuming they don't bring in dialogue?
Ideally I'd see them as a kind apex-predator, boss figurehead of the harpy family. Have their cries be able to charm pawns and give them access to lightning and holy magic.
But there is another reason.
See those tits? You can climb them.
VcEXoPZ.gif

Trolls might be interesting if they have a regeneration and regeneration stopping mechanic.
That, and I think they have a niche they can occupy. I don't know if they were anywhere else in the game, but I remember BBI having smaller, adolescent cyclopses that popped up from time to time. Something half the height, but faster and more aggressive.
Orcs are just sort of boring and in my mind, basically covered by the larger hobgoblin enemies.
Truly? I always saw the hobgoblins as stand-ins for proper Orcs. Ideally, I'd want Orcs to come in at the same time as a goblin expansion; aside from grimgoblins they always felt so puny and ineffectual, don't really take much advantage of numbers or mobbing as much as short group enemies should. The average Orc would be more aggressive, combat-ready and roughly equal to the average pawn.

Oh yeah, and DDO also had ents.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom