Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Can someone confirm that you can't use regular ferrystones in the new dungeon?

Because if that is true, you can use the unlimited use ferrystone in the new dungeon. That makes the unlimited ferrystone VERY useful.

Nevermind.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Killed the Gore-Cyclops last night that was chained to the wall and then killed the giant Gazer. The Gazer fight was easy for me (ranger), but the gore cyclops fight was difficult and required quite a few consumables and a wake stone.

Mortmal

Arcane
That new island is no joke if ou are less than 70 or in hard mod.

Clarify.

BTW, I did the Math for just the Rift Crystals if you own the original disk. Buying the 15,000 pack, that's $7. If you were to buy 100,000 (LOL?), it would be roughly $46. That also comes with the unlimited Ferrystone (joke) and the new Granys armor stuffs (probably also a joke).

So, the original disk isn't completely worthless. I heard you need Rift Crystals for the DLC to uncurse shit.

Buying in game currency , a solo game to boot, with my real cash, is not and never will be a good deal in my opinion .

makes me remember that:
i-hBgLVxN-950x10000.jpg

Few things.

1. For someone that already bought the disk, that person didn't buy the disk with the intention of buying crystals for the unknown expansion.
2. I wasn't condoning buying crystals but was noting that Capcoms gesture towards people that bought the original is a nice one. Most companies don't do that.
3. You're a moron.

EDIT: Anyways, I took my level 40 Mystic Knight in (hard mode), got to some giant freaky giant covered in spikes, got one shotted, and decided to leeave.

You can upgrade weapons past dragonforged into SILVER and GOLD dragonforged with that creepy dude on the second floor area with all the deer. This costs Rift Crystals. To uncurse stuff, you also need rift crystals. Finally, you need rift crystals to repair Rift Stones.

Capcom a nice gesture ? Those rift crystal cost them nothing . They make you pay full price a small dlc . Most companies dont do that indeed, and i remember the shitload of completely worthless and overpriced DLC they released before dark arisen, thats really miliking the cow. But luckily they have people like you , always happy , even with a bucket of shit poured on their head.
A fool is easily departed of his money indeed.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Well, having not bought the first game, from my perspective they're selling the game + DLC combined at a discount. Which is pretty fucking cool. By comparison, if I'd bought something like Skyrim, I'd have to shell out another 45$ for the DLC, getting nothing for owning the original game I paid 60$ for. Still doesn't have a GotY edition, so it'd be 85$ to buy the whole shebang right now. And if I wanted the new SC expansion, it'd be 40$ and I get fuck all for having the original game- in fact, the original is required and being sold at full price, so it'd be fucking 100$ to buy the pair and play in the current ladder.

So yeah, you're full of shit. This isn't the most generous release of DLC ever, but it's not even close to the worst.

DragoFireheart

Capcom a nice gesture ? Those rift crystal cost them nothing . They make you pay full price a small dlc . Most companies dont do that indeed, and i remember the shitload of completely worthless and overpriced DLC they released before dark arisen, thats really miliking the cow. But luckily they have people like you , always happy , even with a bucket of shit poured on their head.
A fool is easily departed of his money indeed.

For people that didn't own the original, it's a discounted game with the DLC. It's a great price and developers don't normally do that. Also, none of the DLC was important so that isn't a big deal at all. You're a moron.

The fact that rift crystals have a use in the expansion along with the other extras was the nice gesture. They didn't have to do that, but they did. The fact they did do it means they did think about the original owners of DD and they are, for once, probably not lying about the reason for why they couldn't release the DLC as a separate item. But I guess you're ok with always blaming companies rather than being objective. You're a moron.

The fact that you failed to address my points and instead just repeat yourself is proof enough. You're a moron.

Xi

Arcane
Took the day off, and played this game most of yesterday. I can see the gripe people had with running around aimlessly and understand how fast travel really would aid this game some. However, there is kind of a hidden fear over traveling long distances. For one, when it becomes dark, you never know what will attack you. Also, there's no immediate place to be safe when you venture out. If you are losing one fight and run off, it's highly likely you'll continue to run into other baddies. While not fun/exciting, it does add a level of suspense to the game. But damn, those graphics are looking dated. 256MB of RAM is shite for loading massive worlds. Lol ;P

Anyway, still learning the ins-outs of this game. I appreciate the new style this game brings. I'd probably give it a 6 or 7 out of 10 after initial impression. Fun (I played most of the day), but ultimately lots of frustrations within the game. Might bump to a 7 or 8 after an entire play through.

The pawn system is quite interesting too. I wonder if someone will have used my pawn when I next play? Pretty neat.

DragoFireheart

Took the day off, and played this game most of yesterday. I can see the gripe people had with running around aimlessly and understand how fast travel really would aid this game some. However, there is kind of a hidden fear over traveling long distances. For one, when it becomes dark, you never know what will attack you. Also, there's no immediate place to be safe when you venture out. If you are losing one fight and run off, it's highly likely you'll continue to run into other baddies. While not fun/exciting, it does add a level of suspense to the game.

The game uses a lot of "hardcore" game mechanics. No auto-regen of health, no wait/sleep button, fast travel is limited (Ferrystones are actually quite fine), no level-scaling bullshit (A Chimera at level 10 is the same strength at level 100).

The dungeon in Dark Arisen is quite challenging. I tried to fight the Gore-clops at level 50 (hardmode). lol, big fail. Ran into a Cockatrice before the story-based one.

Xi

Arcane
Took the day off, and played this game most of yesterday. I can see the gripe people had with running around aimlessly and understand how fast travel really would aid this game some. However, there is kind of a hidden fear over traveling long distances. For one, when it becomes dark, you never know what will attack you. Also, there's no immediate place to be safe when you venture out. If you are losing one fight and run off, it's highly likely you'll continue to run into other baddies. While not fun/exciting, it does add a level of suspense to the game.

The game uses a lot of "hardcore" game mechanics. No auto-regen of health, no wait/sleep button, fast travel is limited (Ferrystones are actually quite fine), no level-scaling bullshit (A Chimera at level 10 is the same strength at level 100).

The dungeon in Dark Arisen is quite challenging. I tried to fight the Gore-clops at level 50 (hardmode). lol, big fail. Ran into a Cockatrice before the story-based one.

Trying to decide when I will head off in the new content direction. Currently at Level 30 (Normal). Suggestions?

DragoFireheart

Trying to decide when I will head off in the new content direction. Currently at Level 30 (Normal). Suggestions?

You could easily tackle the first floor. It's goblins and a cyclops. There are some new wolves but other than them nothing new. Death can be fought, but just don't get hit. First floor is a warm up.

It's after you get the Void Key things start to pick up. Course, if you take the risks of diving in, you can easily get items you'd have to wait for late in the main story...

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
New thing just happened to me in Bitterblack Isle, a giant demon wolf appeared. He bit for like 1800 damage and he breathed a poisonous gas that blinds you. This was in an early area of the island. The game said that large mounts of carrion will attract random boss monsters and they will just pop in, and in this case, at a very bad time.

DragoFireheart

New thing just happened to me in Bitterblack Isle, a giant demon wolf appeared. He bit for like 1800 damage and he breathed a poisonous gas that blinds you. This was in an early area of the island. The game said that large mounts of carrion will attract random boss monsters and they will just pop in, and in this case, at a very bad time.

o_O

Might have been done to prevent low-level characters from farming the early areas.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Did they ditch the rating / gift system for pawns with the expansion? Suddenly I don't get to rate the shitty pawns I hire or send them away with rocks.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Hrm, I'd have to recheck. I'd think they are player pawns, given that I haven't changed my summoning methodology from back when I first played DD, and I used to get the rating screens then.

Does this mean the rest of you are getting to rate / reward pawns?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
fought first gore cyclops in hm. was harder than the fucking ur-dragon and killed all my pawns too.
also not sure i like the way they did lvl 3 skills, but overall it's pretty cool so far. definitely digging the level design. much nicer than before.

DragoFireheart

Hrm, I'd have to recheck. I'd think they are player pawns, given that I haven't changed my summoning methodology from back when I first played DD, and I used to get the rating screens then.

Does this mean the rest of you are getting to rate / reward pawns?

For some pawns, if they don't have the expansion you can't rate them.

LivingOne

Savant
Ok,I should be able to buy Dark Arisen in a few days.Been playing the original on hard and its much better:the increased damage and stamina draining make resource management,preparation and combat far more intresting.
Also,a question:how does the import feature work?Does it import my whole playthrough(including quests progress) or does it place the imported character at the start?

deuxhero

Arcane
You pick up exactly from where you left off. Only change of note is that unless you imported a save file in hard mode, you have to beat the game to switch to hard mode.

deuxhero

Arcane
fought first gore cyclops in hm. was harder than the fucking ur-dragon and killed all my pawns too.
also not sure i like the way they did lvl 3 skills, but overall it's pretty cool so far. definitely digging the level design. much nicer than before.

Shame about 2/3 in they start to reuse entire areas with a different state of decay. The first time they do it (the first area you encounterd, but full of fire with the mysterious voice talking about his torment) it is actually pretty cool, then it just gets boring.

Some enemies seem to be flat out immune to Holy (Banshees and Ghost Pope boss so far. I think giant Saurians toos). While I appreciate making other elements worthwhile, I wouldn't have done it on monsters that are clearly undead.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You pick up exactly from where you left off. Only change of note is that unless you imported a save file in hard mode, you have to beat the game to switch to hard mode.

No you do not. There is a hard mode right from the start. I lost my save and i can start a hard mode.

deuxhero

Arcane
I prefer stacking multiples of the Wyrmking's Ring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom