Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Agreed. I found MA to be much easier than MK.
it really isn't, unless you are completely clueless about how friggin overpowered great cannon is. you can eat through everything that isn't the ur-dragon in a few seconds if you set it up properly. it can spam so many homing shots that your framerate will slow to a bloody crawl and every of those shots does more dmg than an ma arrow.

But I did the exact same with a MA except it was a lot more effortless since I didn't have to cast a cannon on the ground and then position myself around it so that when I whack it the balls will fly into the right direction. Not that it's normally a problem except against harpies. When I'm talking MK vs MA I'm just thinking which one takes less effort to play since they are pretty much on the same level in terms of power.

Pretty much this. Other than not finding any good magic bows early on, MA is much more user friendly. Also, MA is pretty good at killing Golems compared to MK. FFS, the arrows auto-aim/homing and there's a regen perk! Clearly Capcom was catering to the CoD fans with this class. The MK has some power but I hate fucking around with the Great Cannon trying to make it hit the things I want it to hit.

I'd rate the three god classes hybrid classes at:

Magick Archer > Mystic Knight > Assassin

Mystic Knight >Magick Archer > Assassin

After having played and tried the MA, I've found the Mystic Knight to just have more raw power. Ruinous Sigil and Great Cannon are amazing for killing big bosses, while Abyssal Anguish is an amazing buff. Gong back to Mystic Knight.

Hybrid vocations are ridiculously powerful because instead of balancing them into versatile mediocre men the devs made them into masters of the universe. They are fun as hell, though, so I don't care. MA and MK are my favorite vocations.
No, Capcom did not attempt to balance the hybrid classes. You're doing it wrong if your main pawn isn't one of the three hybrid classes.

Protip: If you want your Main Pawn to be a spell-dork, don't level as Mage past level 10. The gains are ass and the healing spells aren't worth it: just keep some healing items on your pawns and make your mage into a Sorcerer.

DragoFireFucks Sorcerer skill suggestions:

High Comestion (Every mage pawn should have this. If they don't they are terrible.)
Fire Affinity/Holy Affinity (Either or both. Most enemies are weak to fire or holy)
High Necromancy (This is an underrated skill. It's amazing for protecting your magic.)
High Voidspell (Gets rid of Petrification)
High Lassitude (One of the few spells that affects Golems. The slow is really good).

Sul

Savant
I finally got around to grabbing this game since it was only around $18 on Amazon and wanted at least one decent RPG for PS3. It arrived brand new, I opened it and... there's no instruction manual? There was only a little warranty card. Might as well have been a fucking digital purchase, give me a break.
Welcome to 2006.

Castanova

Prophet
I tried this game out a bit and it seems like the pawn system is fairly irritating. Correct me if I'm wrong -- to resume playing the game, you have to:

1) Boot up the PS3, start the game, load your saved game (~2-3 minutes)
2) Run across town to the place where you can summon pawns (~2 minutes)
3) Go into that pawn summoning netherworld and find a suitable pawn, plus find out if your pawn earned anything while you were offline (~5 minutes)
4) Run back out of town toward whatever quest you're doing (~2 minutes)

So, before you even start playing for real, you've killed upwards of 10-15 minutes? The hell?

A user named cat

Welcome to 2006.
This is the first and only PS3 game I own that included absolutely no instruction manual. Even Google searching shows no hits on the matter. Maybe they stopped printing them with the price drop. Such complete, cheapskate bullshit.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
I tried this game out a bit and it seems like the pawn system is fairly irritating. Correct me if I'm wrong -- to resume playing the game, you have to:

3) Go into that pawn summoning netherworld and find a suitable pawn, plus find out if your pawn earned anything while you were offline (~5 minutes)

So, before you even start playing for real, you've killed upwards of 10-15 minutes? The hell?
you don't have to resummon pawns every time you load a game, only when they run out of health and you fail to help them so they die, or when you want to switch to some different ones and past a certain point in the story you can set up port crystals for easy travel that carry over into ng++ (plus dark arisen has waypoints for quick travel as well).

you can also save and resume normally everywhere (start then select).
Welcome to 2006.
This is the first and only PS3 game I own that included absolutely no instruction manual. Even Google searching shows no hits on the matter. Maybe they stopped printing them with the price drop. Such complete, cheapskate bullshit.
my dd came with an 18 pages booklet.

DragoFireheart

Your friend is fucking terrible at this game. You don't do that EVERY single time you load up your game.

Well, unless you let your pawns die every time to loaded up your game.

DragoFireheart

Ok, so I started over to play on Hard Mode. Here is how I understand it:

- Monsters can drop a lot of money (anywhere from 100G for each one to 10,000 on semi-rare occasions holy crap they are common)
- You (not your pawns) use twice as much Stamina. This does not apply to running. This makes climbing enemies a big pain.
- You (not your pawns) take "twice" as much damage. Here is how it works as far as I noticed:

Normal mode: An enemy deals 100 damage, you have 50 defense, you take 50 damage.
Hard more: An enemy deals 200 damage, you have 50 defense, you take 150 damage. (Triple damage LOL).

In short: you get one-shotted early on but once you get enough defense you'll be fine. Playing Melee on Hard Mode early on is pretty suicidal. You can die in two hits in the tutorial level.

DragoFireheart

those 10k drops aren't even remotely rare.

Edited my post. I had almost 200,000 by the time I first got to Gran Soren.

PS: Ogres are a nightmare to fight on hard mode.

EDIT: I think you're right SuicideBunny. MK, while a little more tricky to setup, seems to be able to deal far more ranged damage with Great Cannon. Also, Ruinous Sigil is just amazing.

DragoFireheart

Protip: Mystic Knight with a Mace is really good at killing Golem disks. Golems seem to take extra damage from blunt damage types. Even on hardmode Stamina drain and the slower climbing, I didn't have much issue killing the disks quickly with some stamina items to keep me on him.

Used about 10 mushrooms or so.

DragoFireheart

Used about 10 mushrooms or so.
huh? did you start hm from lvl 1 or something?

Yeah. I started over and fought the golem around level 20 or so.

The stamina drain on hardmode is pretty crazy.

(EDIT) Question: is anyone that bought the original going to buy the expansion? I'd like to know if it's worth it but if no on here is willingly to buy it, I might bite the bullet and get it before getting second-hand reviews just so I can inform the codex. If the expansion only adds ~2 hours and minor changes I'll be pissed since it won't be worth $40.00, but we'll see.

Here is a list of changes that was posted on the 18th:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/gregaman/blog/2013/04/18/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen-change-log-within

Those who have been following along with Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen news know that it contains an entire island of new content, with lots of crazy new enemies and stuff. But what of the changes to the original game, which is also included in the package? They are indeed numerous, and you’ll find the most notable ones in the following change log! Please note that not all changes are listed, but certainly some juicy ones are. Now then!

Player

-Various attacks and skills for all weapons have been rebalanced for all weapons.

Enemies
-Made the Ur-Dragon corpse's collision boundary smaller so players can now pick up drop items more easily.

-Undead enemies will now come out of the ground with higher defense stats (super armor mode).
-When Saurians die after being knocked down, they will now use a special death animation for when they are on the ground.

-Goblin Shamans will appear in the Witchwood.
-Eliminators will appear on the Tainted Mountain.

-Pyre Saurians will appear on the Tainted Mountain.
-Golden Knights and Silver Knights will appear in the Everfall (before the destruction of Gran Soren).

-Gorecyclopes (condemned type) will appear in the Shadow Fort.
-Living Armor will appear in the Catacombs.

-Wyverns (strong type) will appear at Bluemoon Tower.

-Wyrms (strong type) will appear at the Watergod's Altar.

-Drakes (strong type) will appear in the Everfall after the destruction of Gran Soren.

Pawns
-Adjusted how often pawns will talk by spacing out less important lines; in effect, making them seem to talk less.

-Adjusted and balanced the equipment and skills of all of the high-level pawns that are available to a player when they're playing offline.

-Adjusted how much it costs to hire a pawn that is higher-leveled than yourself down to a more realistic scale.

-Added a Monthly ranking to the pawn's Top Ranked section.

NPCs
-You will not gain Affinity with Assalam simply by talking to him anymore.

Items & Equipment
-Adjusted how much Ferrystones cost and how much they sell for. (Purchase price: 20000 >5000 | Sell price: 3500>1250)

-Adjusted how much Premium Rings and Premium Earrings cost. (Purchase price: 1,500,000>150,000 Rift Crystals | Purchase price 3,000,000>300,000 Rift Crystals)

-Tweaked stat increases for weapon upgrades (increases weaker upgrades, decreases ones that were too strong). Tweaks affect 68 different weapons.

-Dramatically increased base stats for 12 weapons obtainable by defeating the Dragon. 

-Improved base stats for 10 Magick Bows

World
-A Portcrystal that allows players to return to Cassardis has been added just outside Cassardis's gate

-A character/warp point that allows players to travel between Bitterblack Isle and Cassardis has been added to Cassardis's pier.

-Added a removable Portcrystal to the following areas: The Gran Soren Everfall (before a certain plot point. . . .), The Shadow Fort, The Witchwood, Hillfigure Knoll.

And of course, if you had the original and update your save file, you get 100,00 rift crystals and unlimited ferrystones (or an unlimited use ferrystone). Note that I read somewhere that you use rift crystals to unlock stuff in the new expansion area.

LivingOne

Savant
I'll get it eventually but I'll likely have to wait a month or so because of lack of funds.
Good to see they are adding stuff to the main game too.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do I get any discount on this if I already own DD?
Is there a website that lists what's new?

For the record, I own none of the DD DLCs, not even Hard Mode. So I'm considering this. Strongly.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i'll get mine in a week. trying to get to 200 and farm some phat everfall loot before that.
Enemies
-Made the Ur-Dragon corpse's collision boundary smaller so players can now pick up drop items more easily.

-Undead enemies will now come out of the ground with higher defense stats (super armor mode).
-When Saurians die after being knocked down, they will now use a special death animation for when they are on the ground.

-Goblin Shamans will appear in the Witchwood.
-Eliminators will appear on the Tainted Mountain.

-Pyre Saurians will appear on the Tainted Mountain.
-Golden Knights and Silver Knights will appear in the Everfall (before the destruction of Gran Soren).

-Gorecyclopes (condemned type) will appear in the Shadow Fort.
-Living Armor will appear in the Catacombs.

-Wyverns (strong type) will appear at Bluemoon Tower.

-Wyrms (strong type) will appear at the Watergod's Altar.

-Drakes (strong type) will appear in the Everfall after the destruction of Gran Soren.

that sounds p. cool 'cept for the super armor mode on undead coming out of the ground.

-Dramatically increased base stats for 12 weapons obtainable by defeating the Dragon.
yay, they finally won't totally suck.

-Various attacks and skills for all weapons have been rebalanced for all weapons.
-Improved base stats for 10 Magick Bows
sounds like ma buff, mk nerf to me.

-Added a removable Portcrystal to the following areas: The Gran Soren Everfall (before a certain plot point. . . .), The Shadow Fort, The Witchwood, Hillfigure Knoll.
wonder if that means they increased max deployed portcrystal count.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Installing it right now...

I hope I didn't screw this up, it came with 2 discs, an install disc and a game disc. I put the install disc in first and it installed the high def textures to the hard drive. There wa also an option for the Japanese language, but I disabled that.

Now I have the game disc installing to the hard drive and I hope I got the order correct.

If you had DD before, you get a bunch of bonus stuff when you import our character to answer someone's question. Supposedly.

Mortmal

Arcane
I want this game very badly, but I'm still holding out for a hero PC port....
Closest you'll get on PC:

That game is looking good, but its a mmo, are you sure its really close to dragon's dogma and not just yet another korean grind ?
As for dark arisen, id like to get it too, but not at the price of a full game , i already own the original .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom