Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Sem problema, I got this. My suggestion, after all the drama on the PC/Console list is to adopt a ranking/point system. 10 Codexers vote for 5 PS3 RPGs each, ranking them from 1 to 5, each worth the following: 1° - 25 points, 2° - 18 points, 3° - 15 points, 4° - 12 points, 5° - 10 points. We then add the points, and write about the the Top 5, with two codexers per game sharing a small review.

First obvious challenge is to find 10 respected Codexers that own a PS3 and played at least 5 RPGs on it... volunteers?

And is our editor-in-chief Crooked Bee is cool with this? And would she like to take part on it?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Should probably make PS3 only, the DS is worth a article on it's own...

Demon's and Dark Souls are vastly superior to Planescape: Torment.

There, I said it.

giphy.gif

DragoFireheart

Some of these fucking PC elitists won't try some of these console exclusives. Bunch of hard asses.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
How's the monster/enemy variety in this ?
It's is decent, but kind of focused on the "wow factor". You'll fight A LOT of goblins, lizards and cyclops as "trash mobs", but there are various rare monsters that you'll face only one or two, and those are when the game really shines.

LivingOne

Savant
I hope the combat is good then. How would you compare it to the Souls games, say ? (I know it's supposedly a strength of this game)

What about difficulty levels ? And how are they implemented, if they have them ?
Melee combat is p.good although not as much as DeS/DaS.Circling,strafing,blocking,counter-attacking at the right moment and stamina management are all part of the combat but it doesn't demand you to be that 'precise'.Playing as a fighter/mystic knight gives the experience that is closer to Souls games/Severance(block when appropriate,attack during opening etc),warrior is for two-handing and crowd control but has no dodging nor blocking for defense(only jumping) while the various daggers + bows classes rely on dodging,and weaker but faster melee weapons.These are also the most dynamic classes since you are always doing something either in melee or with your bow and you can move from a position adequate to either because you can dodge around at no penalty.

This does not make these classes over-powered though because,other than the fact fighter/mystic knight/warrior are more resistant,can block,are better in melee,enemies are often quite complex(lots of patterns,localized damage,resistances/weaknesses) and have alot of HPs.This is also why I think melee isn't as good:the basic combat mechanics both melee and ranged matter less than the Skills you memorize before adventuring because a single,normal hit doesn't bring down those HPs as much as inDeS/DaS.Wich brings us to what this game does better:preparation as in memorizing the right Skills for you and your pawn(both active,wich consume stamina(wich regeneretes while you don't use 'em) when used and passive),choosing wich other pawns to bring along(by looking at their own Skills/AI behavior),have useful consumables (special arrows,curatives,damage modifiers,etc.)can make fights much easier and faster.

Another thing this game does better than Souls games/Blade of Darkness are ranged attacks(see above and some Skills: here , here , here , etc.) and magic(see here here here(no really) here here here etc.)

Also play on hard.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Mystick Knight is NOT melee. FFS get it together man. :rpgcodex: Besides they can have some of the best melee range thanks to Abyssal Anguish if they want. I'd compare a MK to wide scale, heavy duty missile barrage. They are much more lethal casters than Sorcerers, except they have heavier armor and good melee as well.

LivingOne

Savant
^Agreed,it was meant more as a description of 'classes that are competent in melee regardless if it's the thing they do better or not'.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I enjoyed the Magick Archer the most, the auto lock ranged attacks were amazing to complete those quests that had you killing 50 rabbits and the such.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I axctually disliked the auto lock, aiming yourself is much more fun, and the auto lock doesn't always do what you want to, especially on big enemies...

ColCol

Arcane
I axctually disliked the auto lock, aiming yourself is much more fun, and the auto lock doesn't always do what you want to, especially on big enemies...

Indeed, nothing is more satisfying than aiming my giant ranger bow at some far off gryphon.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

But at least it makes the Ranger and Magick Archer feel mechanically different. It isn't auto aiming just for the sake of having auto aim either since it works thematically. Magic arrows never missing and all that. As for the Ranger, they are people who are naturally sharp shooters and not magically gifted thus you have to be able to aim yourself. I like both and I like how the mechanics are tied to the vocation in a way that it makes sense.

Dark Arisen arrived a couple days ago and I've been playing it quite a bit.

Started as a Mage in Hard mode (with a Strider pawn) and, surprisingly enough, caster gameplay is decent, far better than the absolute trash presented in most action-RPGs. There's a lot more to playing a spell-slinger than merely equipping a spell, running backwards, and engaging in BANALSHITBORING shooting...best demonstrated by Bethesda titles or even Risen. Playing each spell feels different; painting each limb of a cyclops with Levin strikes feels distinct from aiming Ingles to light winged foes ablaze which differs in execution from aiming a Frigor at the underbelly of a Drake*. Spells don't acquire that "samey" feel over time as in other games; even the Souls series, arguably, falls victim to this with the numerous Soul Arrows and highly similarly played magicks.

The attention to detail shown in the other classes play is apparent in the artists of the arcane as well. Things like the way Levitation can be used to access areas (perhaps breaking sequence) or how the generic staff shot's flight pattern differs for each elemental enchantment bestowed upon the wielder are excellent little touches on par with the nuances in other vocations.

Playing a Mage/Sorcerer also demands a different kind of combat awareness than other classes. Since the defensive options afforded to the player are limited, one has to really survey the battlefield and be wary in a way that martial characters find unnecessary. Why worry about the goblins on the ground when you're climbing up a cyclops or hanging on to a chimera? Shield classes can also make use of perfect guards to be more aggressive as well. But the mage and sorcerer need to stay on top of things, to pay attention to enemies pressuring them with zoning techniques (like those skeleton warriors use of the Stinger-equivalent).

All in all, I'm having a lot more fun with a Mage/Sorcerer than I thought I would. Initially, I had predicted a quick vocation change to Strider or Fighter upon reaching Gran Soren, but the casting play has been amusing enough. Almost certainly I'll transition to a martial class, aiming towards Mystic Knight or Magick Archer as time goes on (my favorite vocations in vanilla), but the time spent as a dwoemerd00d have been fun enough.

Hard Mode is a mixed bag, however. The added difficulty is a plus, but the experience bonus seems completely excessive. Dragon's Dogma was a lot more fun at lower levels before characters have stats that take a lot of the danger out of monsters...this makes leveling far too swift and I fear that it may ruin the experience. Any tips on how to slow experience gain significantly without having to pretty much skip tons of combat?

*Yeah, I tried fighting him in Devilfire Grove. It didn't go well; both support pawns got dominated and my low-level Mage couldn't do nearly enough damage to make the fight beatable in any reasonable amount of time.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
It annoys me how some bugs still aren't fixed... I could have killed the Drake with my low-level Strider given enough time, but everytime he flies there's a chance that he'll bug out and simply dissapear...

LivingOne

Savant
Hard Mode is a mixed bag, however. The added difficulty is a plus, but the experience bonus seems completely excessive. Dragon's Dogma was a lot more fun at lower levels before characters have stats that take a lot of the danger out of monsters...this makes leveling far too swift and I fear that it may ruin the experience. Any tips on how to slow experience gain significantly without having to pretty much skip tons of combat?
Well,not really but seeing how damage is scaled from normal mode the difficulty curve isn't that different.Meaning the game's still getting easy at lv 30 and picking up again around Grigori's dungeon.Would have been cool if they fixed this but at least it doesn't get worse(actually maybe it's a bit better since the risk of getting one-shotted remains for a longer period of time).The proper new challange is in the expansion.

DragoFireheart

Most of the game is fightin stuff. Don't worry about leveling up too fast: pre-game before the dragon is easy regardless of difficulty.

Here's out Hard Mode plays out:

Beginning of the game: Oh god everything one-shots me (Ingle's from mages are lethal)

Level-30+ decent gear:
Ok stuff gettin easier yeah fuck those Chimeras.

Level-50: Yeah man takin out the dragon fuck yeah.

Level-60: These guys are kinda tough but I can handle it.

Bitterblack Isle:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Last edited:

DragoFireheart

I love the lack of auto-locking as well. Ricochet Hunter is such an amazing MA skill... oh wait, you were talking about other classes?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
It annoys me how some bugs still aren't fixed... I could have killed the Drake with my low-level Strider given enough time, but everytime he flies there's a chance that he'll bug out and simply dissapear...
huh? i've never ever seen that happen...
Bitterblack Isle:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
so true.....

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Happened to me twice, and people are also reporting it on the game's wiki, with some saying that maybe is a intended behaviour...

DragoFireheart

Happened to me twice, and people are also reporting it on the game's wiki, with some saying that maybe is a intended behaviour...

It seems to happen when you try to lure him too far from the forest.

Maybe a bug, maybe the dragon is trolling you.

"trying to kite me fucker? bitch please, i'm flying away! :troll:"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom