Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Nothing fills me with more dread than having to complete a long trudge against a landscape filled with monsters I already killed.
use the crystals/ferrystones?

Delterius

Arcane
My cousin got a copy of this and I've cleared the Everfall and the Water God Temple. How I was left with the impression that this was just a Dark Souls clone I still don't know. Such an underrated game.
Personally I loved Dragon's Dogma. I just hope for a better execution of some things in the near future. That said, I'll always be amazed by how quickly I dismissed the game when it was released.

Fuck, I loved playing mages so much that I couldn't try the other classes. Haven't felt that in years.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Same here, I totally dismissed it. It was released at the height of Capcom's dickheadery (When it was first announced, all that was shown was a dragon emblem, leading people to believe that a new Breath of Fire was being made.) and looked as if they were riding on the coattails of Dark Souls.

It turned out to be one of my favorite games this generation and it's nothing at all like Dark Souls and in more than a few ways, is better. You don't see a game as unique as this come by every year. I actually replayed the game after beating it. I haven't done that in years.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Sadly this game is probably a fluke.

Next one will have QTEs up the ass.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Have the game, I like it but I only play it in small bits because game travel is excruciating. Nothing fills me with more dread than having to complete a long trudge against a landscape filled with monsters I already killed.
Totally agree with the travelling bit. I remember telling my cousin, "This game needs an Epona."

Kem0sabe

Arcane
A new Dragons Dogma game, with more fast travel options, better inventory management / UI and some more interesting quests would be just about the perfect console RPG.

Delterius

Arcane
For all the discussion of the game's systems I rarely see people talking about this game's story. Sure, this is no cinematic fest but I did like it. What did you think?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Story wise i thought it was forgettable, the "ye olde english" got "old" very fast and the various characters sounded off more like caricatures than anything else. But then again, the gameplay is probably the best in a console rpg this generation, more than made up for the poor C&C in my eyes.

Delterius

Arcane
But more specifically, the twist at the end kinda came out of nowhere. Its was like the game suddenly acquired a story. Sure, it was no cutscene fest but its at least honest (not BioWare grimdark) whenever the story was 'ye olde english' generic but also quite interesting whenever not.

Then I realized that it made sense you can only comprehend things after ascending to godhood

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
For all the discussion of the game's systems I rarely see people talking about this game's story. Sure, this is no cinematic fest but I did like it. What did you think?
Given that I'm still in the infancy of the plot (I just met the first Dragonguy and after I save the goblin-besieged fortress, I'll be meeting the Duke), I'm tentatively interested. My cousin has been making it sound like there's kind of a Shymalan twist or something after you kill the dragon.

Delterius

Arcane
Given that I'm still in the infancy of the plot (I just met the first Dragonguy and after I save the goblin-besieged fortress, I'll be meeting the Duke), I'm tentatively interested. My cousin has been making it sound like there's kind of a Shymalan twist or something after you kill the dragon.
Fuck man, sorry. Hope you hadn't read my post above.

Another thing I noticed that you'll only notice after a playthrough is how the random peasant dialogues match the overarching plot. Given that God sends an angel of destruction (the dragon) to test humanity's mettle, it is rather pertinent how most every single living human in the duchy seems to have given up on their lives the moment Grigori showed up. Everyone, from Cassardis to Gran Soren, is always talking about how it makes no sense to run away and etcetera

Ninjerk

Arcane
I did. It doesn't make any sense with the context I have now (though that may change).

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.

Who gives a shit about the story the combat is awesome bro.

LivingOne

Savant
Re:end-game story
The lore near the end-game and the overall sense of mystery that managed to give were indeed pretty cool.You had even the Seneschal being unaware of the nature of the various worlds/planes beyond the ones of humans and pawns and even the way planeswalking works here isn't explained step by step.Compare this to,say Planescape wich while more fleshed out explains a bit too much of its setting.

Even the dialogues seemed better written.

Was also intresting having story elements matching with gameplay(pawns getting revived/shaped by the Arisen/possessed by dragons/...).

What I liked even more though was how they expanded it in Dark Arisen adding some Ravenloft-like lore

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom