Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I think I'm getting pretty far into the game but I won't care to spoiler myself too much. Should I do the Dark Arisen content before or after the endgame? If the former, at which level is it recommended for a good balance between challenge and frustration?

Xi thanks for the tip.

You can do the first level at level 20 or so. Past that, it gets harder and harder. Should be 40 for the next areas (Upper Sanctum).

Upper Sanctum can be explored early. There are some weapons that can easily be silver rarified.

ex: Steel Beak for Mystics Knights from the Soul Flayer Gorge. It needs to be dragonforged (Drake from Devilfire Grove). After that, you need two Diamonds (gotten from those chests with the maneaters. Need about 7-8 Throwblasts to kill them).

Course this is overkill for the first half of the regular game.

DragoFireheart

They are pretty good in normal, you just have to level up as a sorc a lot.

One reason I don't care for them: not crazy about leveling as sorc.

Also, sorc has bad Stamina gains. Would rather just level as MA since that higher magic defense means less Immolation damage. Most of your damage is coming from your weapon anyways.

DragoFireheart

Jesus, I never used Ricochet Hunter despite playing MA pretty much the entire game. Clearly I need to change that.

Off the top of my head enemies that are weak to Lightning:

Cyclops (Common)
Cockatrice (Can Petrify)
Gargoyle (Can Petrify)
Garm (Common BBI enemy ala dead bodies)
Elder Ogre (Common BBI enemy ala dead bodies)
Eliminators

DragoFireheart

Another awesome magic archer skill: Magic Rebalancer.

http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Magick_Rebalancer

"An advanced form of Magick Rebuffer that boosts the beneficiary's Magick as well, save when facing the undead."

AKA, a castable Demon's Periapt + Mage's Periapt sigil that can also effect your party. I don't know about the undead part, I always seem to do massive damage regardless :dance:

Math:

Pulled from GameFAGs: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/64783146

I've been meaning to post these figures for a while.

For anyone not interested in poring over the numbers themselves, the important point is this:
An attack score can be boosted by exactly 4 expendable items simultaneously.
For example: 4 Conqueror's Periapts for physical attack, and 4 Demon's Periapts for magic attack.

The figures are based on the "Total Damage Dealt to Foes" statistic, which can be found under History-->Adventure Log-->Player. The damage of an attack is determined as follows:
Damage = ("Total Damage Dealt to Foes" after the attack) - ("Total Damage Dealt to Foes" before the attack)

All attacks were made by a Sorceress using the basic attack to fire a single bolt, either with Holy Affinity or with no Affinity.

Total Damage---Damage/Hit-------Attack Modifiers:
61,117,144-------XXXX----------------XXXX
61,120,680-------3536----------------Holy Bolt
61,125,000-------4320----------------Holy Bolt, Demon's Periapt * 1
61,130,260-------5260----------------Holy Bolt, Demon's Periapt * 2
61,135,520-------5260----------------Holy Bolt, Demon's Periapt * 2
61,141,908-------6388----------------Holy Bolt, Demon's Periapt * 3
61,149,652-------7744----------------Holy Bolt, Demon's Periapt * 4
61,157,396-------7744----------------Holy Bolt, Demon's Periapt * 5
61,165,140-------7744----------------Holy Bolt, Demon's Periapt * 5
61,168,400-------3260----------------Arcane Bolt
61,170,892-------2492----------------Arcane Bolt (at extreme long range)
61,174,428-------3536----------------Holy Bolt
61,178,748-------4320----------------Holy Bolt, Salomet's Secret * 1
61,184,008-------5260----------------Holy Bolt, Salomet's Secret * 2
61,190,396-------6388----------------Holy Bolt, Salomet's Secret * 3
61,198,140-------7744----------------Holy Bolt, Salomet's Secret * 4
61,205,884-------7744----------------Holy Bolt, Salomet's Secret * 4, Demon's Periapt * 1

Analysis:
• No Random Number Generator seems to be used in the calculation. A particular set of input values seems to produce consistent results.
• Expendable booster items all seem to boost attack values by an identical amount (a multiplier of around 1.215 in my case). Demon's Periapt boosts by the same amount as Salomet's Secret. An earlier test revealed that Silverwheat Paste also boosts by an identical figure. I have not noticed any difference in the duration of any of these booster items.
• Multiple boosters can raise a statistic up to 4 times, beyond which they will have no further effect (the earlier test indicated that Demon's Periapt, Silverwheat Paste, and Salomet's Secret could be used to boost Magic Attack in any combination of up to 4 boosters). Because the effect is multiplicative, the recipient's damage from the affected statistic will be more than doubled while 4 boosters are in effect. I was not able to test the physical attack boosters in the same way, but they give every indication of being exact parallels. (Conqueror's Periapt, Vigor Extract, Tagilus's Miracle).
• Other than price, Silverwheat Paste and Vigor Extract seemingly have no advantage (both give penalties when used). Demon's/Conqueror's Periapts are the lightest and are the ideal choice for boosting a single character. Tagilus's Miracle/Salomet's Secret are heavier, but boost the entire party.
• Because the boosters are multiplicative, you would ultimately benefit more from using 4 at once, than from using the 4 one at a time.
• Unrelated: A penalty seems to be applied to magic bolts at the extreme limits of their range.

tl;dr: Stack Magic Rebalancer 4 times for a 80% boost to your magic offense and defense. This usually translates to doubling or tripling your damage.

I killed a Garm in BBI at level 45 with ~700 magic attack and Ricochet Hunter. :lol:

DragoFireheart

So I'm trying Assassin, but I don't like it. I don't want to use daggers and none of the sword skills compare to Dragon's Maw. Back to being a fighter.

I also don't like non-magic bow mechanics.

DragoFireheart

I'm going to give Warriors another try. Pawn will be a Ranger.

Ranger is probably the best pawn class. Pawns have inhuman accuracy with bows.

DragoFireheart

Wow, people are still playing this? Blast from the past, for me.

I'm still playing.

Analysis of the Warrior class

(Note: all of this applies to Hard Mode. Because real men play Hard Mode!)

First of all, ignore any morons that this class is the worst class. What they probably mean is they played too much CoD with auto-aim and bitch that mass Effect doesn't let you skip battles.

Warriors are the most difficult class to use and master.

You'll feel like you're playing a fighting game (like Street Fighter...) while playing as the warrior. You will be timing attacks, canceling out moves, and performing lots of jump attacks. Make sure that when you make your warrior he's heavy (90+ kg). Make sure he isn't too short, but he does not need to be tall (mine is 180 cm).

Leveling

Fighter: 1-10
Warrior: 11-100

101-200
For highest HPs: Fighter or Mystic.
For highest Attack: Assassin.
For balanced attack/defense and high Stamina: Warrior.

The Warrior class has a weird bug where they gain 5 hp and 15 stamina after level 100. It's odd because they changed the Mystic Archer's stat growth post 100 in Dark Arisen but didn't touch the warrior.

To get the most HPs, you need to level as either a Fighter or a Mystic Knight. Fighter gets 3 defense per level, while Mystic Knight gets 1 defense and 1 magic defense. Fighter is the best choice: thankfully this isn't a huge deal since you need to level the Fighter for some augments anyways.

If you REALLY don't want more HPs, level as an Assassin for 3 attack per level, or stay as a warrior for 2 attack and 2 defense.

Basic Attacks

Warriors ground basic attacks are slow, but decent. The regular light attacks have a nice wide range and are good for smacking groups of enemies. The strong attack is good for slower enemies you want to skewer, but nothing impressive. Their climbing attack is actually fairly decent and is not as worthless as one would think. It's not a Hundred Kisses or a Dire Gouge, but it's better than the Fighter's wimpy swings.

Now, for aerial attacks... Warriors have the best air attacks in the game.

Their heavy air attack does a very good job of smashing light enemies and will likely stagger them. However, the crown jewel of the Warrior is the light air attack. It executes very quickly, has a fairly wide range, hits low enough to hit enemies on the ground (assuming even level terrain. If they are below you it can miss), and hits excessively high.
Harpies? Psh, smack those bitches out of the air.
Don't want to climb that Cyclops? Just jump up and smack him!

Master the light air attack and you will master the warrior class.

Killing individual enemies is best done with the light air attack. If you have issues hitting them, use either the heavy air attack or Exodus Slash. Speaking of that skill...

Skills

Most of the skills are bad: they are too slow or don't offer anything good for the warrior. Corona doesn't seem to hit a wide enough area and the delay is annoying. Pommel Bash is too short range. Whirlwind is decent but doesn't offer anything beyond high stagger (Which Lash and even Exodus can do better or as well) and it's a bit slow. Rest of the skills are shit. The skill setup I use is the following:

Exodus Slash

Savage/Indomitable/Calamitous Lash

Arc of Might/Deliverance/Obliteration

Exodus slash solves two key issues with the warrior: lack of defensive maneuvers, and lack of quick ground attacks. Exodus slash is basically a backwards step with a wide horizontal swing. Press the button again and your warrior will dash forward slightly, shove the enemy, and then swing at them. This second part has a sort of auto-aim and will target the closet enemy. The first part can be used for dodging attacks as it has invincibility frames. A neat technique you can do is execute the first part, start the second part, but before the swing you can cancel it by jumping. You can also use Exodus Slash to cancel regular light attacks. Exodus Slash, when mastered, is great for killing smaller enemies that you can't hit with the light air attack and dodging attacks. It's not as good as a shield or rolling, but it can work.

X Lash is a charge move. You sit in place, charge your attack for 2-3 seconds, and then smash face. Use it when you need a damage boost but don't have enough time to use an Arc Of X move. Note that you can cancel it by jumping (seeing a pattern?) and you seem to gain more knockdown/stagger resistance.

Arc of X is a powerful move where you charge for 10 seconds and then unleash hell. You can move around while charging it. Go youtube some warrior videos to get an idea of how amazing this skill can be. It's very easy to one-shot most enemies with this, but it should be reserved for bosses. Well placed Arcs can annihilate most of the enemies and is one of the reasons for playing a warrior. Like Lash, you seem to gain knockdown/stagger resistance. Killing an Ogre in 1-2 Arcs is one of the most satisfying feelings in the game.

In terms of fighting enemies:

If it's 3+ times bigger than you, use light air attack, Arc, or Lash depending on the context (moving around, knocked down, charging a attack, etc).
If the enemy is about as big as you but slow, use Lash or Exodus.
If the enemy is faster than you, use the light air attack or Exodus.
For wolf like enemies, use Exodus.
For harpies, use light air attack.
For Saurien, you still want to cut off their tail. A well placed heavy air attack will do nicely.

With the charge skills, there's a augment that reduces damage while charging. Speaking of which...

Augments

Augments are pretty simple for the warrior. I use the following:

Vehemence
Clout

Ditto. They make you hit harder. Vehemence requires Fighter class level 5. They stack, which will give you a total strength boost of 32% (1.1 * 1.2).

Ferocity
Eminence

Ferocity Improves all of your basic, non-skill attacks, while Eminence makes your basic air attacks stronger. Both stack which means your air attacks will take off nice chunks of life from whatever you hit. Eminence requires Strider class level 5. Again, they stack like the strength skills.

Temerity

While charging an attack, you take 50% less damage. I feel that there will be times when an Exodus Slash won't be able to protect you. Sometimes, you'll need to eat a hit. With this perk, you can quickly charge a Lash (yes, even on hard mode) and just exchange hits with whatever is hitting you. A good example are the sword-n-board bandits. They have some attacks that hit hilariously hard and can one shot you. However, with proper armor and this perk, you CAN survive the hit and just smack them back. Most lighter enemies will get sent flying. Since you can pause at almost anytime to heal, you can 'tank" hits.

For the last augment, it's your choice. If you want more defense, take Bastion. If you want to carry more stuff and/or more mobility, Sinew or Leg-Strength. If you use the augment Watchfulness, you'll also reduce damage by half when your weapon is sheathed, which translates to you taking only half damage at all times you are either charging a skill or running around.

Now go and smash shit!

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

Hey guys does "Dark Arisen" version of the game include both the original game and the addon? If not, which one does? Looking for a PS3 version.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Just got this yesterday through the PSN+ free game download. Pleasantly surprised how awesome the game is, a truly open world hardcore action rpg, the exploration, difficulty, customization and especially the pawn system is some of the best concepts i have seen implemented on a console rpg.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, the game has an amazing depth, there's stuff like the affection system where you can pretty much date anyone in the game, many quests have multiple paths and you can even make fake copies of quest items and deliver them to NPCs, changing the outcome of quests.

Still, the game kind of hides it from you... only as you play it 2-3 times you'll see how much work went into this. Sadly, it's a console exclusive and no serious reviewer ever played it that much, so it remaisn a hidden gem.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Playing as a Mage, now Sorcerer, i think the "caster type" class in the game is probably one of the best implementations i have seen, the impact of the spells, the animations, the damage and utility spells, all looks and feel awesome. You really feel like a glass canon that needs time and preparation to be effective, but when you do manage to pull it off, its fun to watch everything burn around you.

Edit: Some minor annoyances:

Pawns: It's a shame hired pawns don't level with you, at the pace your own characters level, it forces you to constantly swap out your hirelings for new ones. Also the hiring system could be better and more refined, i have to summon a bunch of them to check out their skill and augment combos to see if they are viable choices.

Inventory: Weight management is a pain in the ass, there is simply too much loot lying around for you to constantly having to be encumbered. Also transfering equipment between inventory and equipment is a somewhat pointless exercise.

Anyone have any useful tips that would make life easier?

Ebonsword

Arcane
I have a few of tips for weight management:

(1) Larger characters can carry more. So, I always make either my Arisen or my pawn pretty big so they can carry lots o' lot. You could always hire a large pawn to carry stuff, too, if both your Arisen and main pawn are small.

(2) Fighters get an augment that lets them carry more weight while Striders can get an augment that lets them move as if they were one category lighter than they actually are. I tend to get both on all of my Arisens and pawns just because it makes life so much easier. The Fighter augment is much easier to get since I think it becomes available at profession level 5, while the Strider augment is level 9.

(3) Check the weight of your armor. I've noticed that armors can have relatively similar defense values, but vastly different weights (compare, for example, a Grand Surcoat to Chimeric Half-Plate). You can shave off a lot of weight if you pay attention to that.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Larger characters can carry more. So, I always make either my Arisen or my pawn pretty big so they can carry lots o' lot. You could always hire a large pawn to carry stuff, too, if both your Arisen and main pawn are small.
On the other hand, I found at least one area that only very small Arisen can pass... and another area where only female characters are allowed.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
and both this and the only area where small chars have an advantage becomes meaningless if you get on a second cycle and unlock the char editor.
Don't go to Bitterblack Isle until you have beaten the Dragon.
unless you want to make the game considerably easier by farming ubergear from the first few floors of bitterblack, that is.

roll-a-die

Magister
Got this for free with my PS+ this month, it's an experience I've been craving since Amalur completely failed. This game is everything Amalur should have been. I plaayed it 12 hours yesterday while waiting for people to come play DnD with me.

Ninjerk

Arcane
My cousin got a copy of this and I've cleared the Everfall and the Water God Temple. How I was left with the impression that this was just a Dark Souls clone I still don't know. Such an underrated game.

ColCol

Arcane
Have the game, I like it but I only play it in small bits because game travel is excruciating. Nothing fills me with more dread than having to complete a long trudge against a landscape filled with monsters I already killed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom