Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Ezekiel

Arcane
Waited two years for Elden Ring. Should have waited longer. Dragon's Dogma 2's price will definitely drop way faster, though. Couldn't even create a decent protagonist and pawn with the crappy options, so not excited anyway.
LOL, if character creation was that important then Elden Ring would have sold about five copies total and dropped to $1 on release day.
How can you say that when you refused to play Returnal because of the protagonist's looks? Being unable to get past the character creator is not the only reason I can wait to play Dragon's Dogma 2, but it is a big one. FromSoftware's creators have always been bad too, but I was able to make an Elden Ring character that I could stomach much faster than in DD2.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
This thread made me want to give DD1 another tey. I have 50h in it and dropped it because of boredom.

One codexer sold it to me saying that everything is crap or mediocre but the fights against beasts. When you have a fight Cyclops, Griffin or a Dragon it really feels like you are fighting. It all makes sense. If the beast has wings and the fight inst going it's way it just fucking flies away!

I was amazed of how intuitive these fights are. Found a Giant Cyclops on a spiral of stairs, on the top of a tower and thought i was screwed, because fighting that giant with so little room was going to be a nightmare. On arrow to the eye was all it took. The temporarily blind Cyclops walked of the edge of the stairs and died from the fall. Now thats good gameplay.

But other than that the game is kinda bland and hasn't much to offer. Still I owe it another chance.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
This thread made me want to give DD1 another tey. I have 50h in it and dropped it because of boredom.

One codexer sold it to me saying that everything is crap or mediocre but the fights against beasts. When you have a fight Cyclops, Griffin or a Dragon it really feels like you are fighting. It all makes sense. If the beast has wings and the fight inst going it's way it just fucking flies away!

I was amazed of how intuitive these fights are. Found a Giant Cyclops on a spiral of stairs, on the top of a tower and thought i was screwed, because fighting that giant with so little room was going to be a nightmare. On arrow to the eye was all it took. The temporarily blind Cyclops walked of the edge of the stairs and died from the fall. Now thats good gameplay.

But other than that the game is kinda bland and hasn't much to offer. Still I owe it another chance.
I'd add the environmental atmosphere like darkness, water, etc. but yeah. It's a game with great strengths you don't find elsewhere really, and then the paste that holds it all together which is basically everything else. Plot, etc.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
1F4XcAV.jpg

"map is only 4 times bigger than DD1" in a game with limited travel and mostly going on foot (also stamina)

Ezekiel

Arcane
I wonder if developers get to play these games not fucked by greed. Does Itsuno have a disc or code of the game at home that's properly balanced, meaning not balanced in a way that drives purchases of DLC.

abija

Prophet
I was able to make the camera much more responsive by altering both the standard camera settings and the mouse camera settings, no idea why there's two sets of camera sensitivity settings.
That's quite standard. In theory mouse sens should handle how much you turn and camera speed how fast the camera follows.

Sentinel

Arcane
Give me a holler when they add back the Beholder & the Hydra and some more classic monsters.

There are a few that are new that I came across early on. Haven't had a chance to boot this up again yet.

Green slimes, minotaurs, and medusa are new to DD and all classic D&D monsters.
Yeah, those are the only new monsters pretty much, along with the
Talos (set piece), Dalahan & Sphinx

Still, there was potential for a lot more. I'm actually looking forward to DD2's concept art book, I wonder if it's mostly a copy paste of DD1's. There were so many cool ideas in DD1's book that went unused, it's disappointing to see them ignored in DD2 as well.

abija

Prophet
Funny
A friend of mine had an i5 6600k and a 1060 at the time and he could barely get constant 60fps on dungeons, on the open-world he had 20fps - with every setting on LOW
He told me this in May of 2022, 3 months after the game's release
I tried the game in July and I had similiar perfomance on my RX480 + i5 6500
Nevermind the fact I could get 40-50 fps on Cyberpunk's open world with a mix of Low and Medium settings
ER is a fucking PS4 game that's just one notch above Sekiro in visual fidelity (which itself is barely above DS3) and it couldn't be run by computer which are least 3x more powerful than a PS4
And on /v/ people were complaining for months for also being unable to run the game dencently and packing even newer cards

In short ER also had the same performance issues as this game, yet it didn't get half the shit DD2 is currently having
Why?
Because it Fromsoft, they get a pass

Yeah, nope. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqI6TyCao6A or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kmpj7RfHXM (with an even older CPU than my haswell).

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter
I should have made a mage pawn. I found that skimpy underwear but my archer can't wear it. I'm upset. How much of a pain in the ass is it to change vocations? I can transfer all the xp he earned in the fighter class over to the mage vocation can I? I have the metamorphosis thing.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I should have made a mage pawn. I found that skimpy underwear but my archer can't wear it. I'm upset. How much of a pain in the ass is it to change vocations? I can transfer all the xp he earned in the fighter class over to the mage vocation can I? I have the metamorphosis thing.

You keep your level, but your vocation starts at rank 1 and starts from there. Same as the first game, except vocations are cheaper and therefore easier to move across into except some you have to unlock.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Shitposter

You keep your level, but your vocation starts at rank 1 and starts from there. Same as the first game, except vocations are cheaper and therefore easier to move across into except some you have to unlock.
Well I was intending to have a warrior but now I've decided I want a waifu pawn that will net me massive RC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom