Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Modron

Arcane
Ranger 4 life.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Played a Ranger only once. It was pretty fun, but I prefer the MA. There really aren't any other games that have a class that's similar to it whereas I can play as a sneaky archer in almost every ARPG.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
Played a Ranger only once. It was pretty fun, but I prefer the MA. There really aren't any other games that have a class that's similar to it whereas I can play as a sneaky archer in almost every ARPG.
i disagree while there are many games where you can play the legolas of turn, very few ( actually no one of those i have played) catch the feeling of being an Archer whose success is dependent of his skill and aim. the free aim ( not targeted) plus weak spots, give you that immense satisfaction when you snipe a cyclope eye 50 meters away. you feel you EARNED the damage you did.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
i disagree while there are many games where you can play the legolas of turn, very few ( actually no one of those i have played) catch the feeling of being an Archer whose success is dependent of his skill and aim. the free aim ( not targeted) plus weak spots, give you that immense satisfaction when you snipe a cyclope eye 50 meters away. you feel you EARNED the damage you did.
I'm not arguing over if Ranger is better done than in other games. Just that I can get something similar in other games, but there's not a single game that has anything remotely close to the MA.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Completely unrelated to the DD2 reveal, I'm feeling an itch to replay as a Mystic Knight again. My last 4 replays have all been with a Magick Archer so I'm ready for something different. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to do the Sorcerer rodeo all over again. I hope for the sequel they don't tie stat growths with your vocation.
My first and only Mystic Knight run was pretty clean tbh. I played as standart fighter for 10 lvls and MK all the way then. Shield riposte skill need not much to be OP

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Completely unrelated to the DD2 reveal, I'm feeling an itch to replay as a Mystic Knight again. My last 4 replays have all been with a Magick Archer so I'm ready for something different. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to do the Sorcerer rodeo all over again. I hope for the sequel they don't tie stat growths with your vocation.
My first and only Mystic Knight run was pretty clean tbh. I played as standart fighter for 10 lvls and MK all the way then. Shield riposte skill need not much to be OP
The first and only time I played an MK I went Fighter as well. It was fine but don't most of their skills scale with Magic more than Strength? Even skills like Stone Forest scale with your character's Magic stat and the physical portion comes from your weapon damage iirc.

Edit: wtf, who moved these posts in the DD2 thread? We were discussing the first game.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The first and only time I played an MK I went Fighter as well. It was fine but don't most of their skills scale with Magic more than Strength? Even skills like Stone Forest scale with your character's Magic stat and the physical portion comes from your weapon damage iirc.
You don't really need any magic for MK to be effective TBH. This guy explains it better than me.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
1655436546809.png

Carceri

Arcane

Edit: wtf, who moved these posts in the DD2 thread? We were discussing the first game.
This is the build I'm using on my 'definitive' save file and it's probably the best MK build:

1-10 Mage
10-97 Assassin
97-100 Sorcerer
100 - 200 Sorcerer

606/605 AT/MAT

HP- 3570
Stam - ~4100

Of course this is min-maxed to hell and it is not required, you could just be playing MK from 10 to 200, and with the right augments and weapon lv.3 you will melt everything in BBI anyway. What I don't like about lvling pure MK though, is that awful ~3k stamina at 200. That's kinda annoying for hard mode, especially since I don't really like opening the inventory during combat, or using consumables in general. The same goes for pure Sorcerer build.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I'm not arguing over if Ranger is better done than in other games. Just that I can get something similar in other games, but there's not a single game that has anything remotely close to the MA.
my point was that you can't really play a """true""" Ranger ( with the right feel ) in other games. in those it's like playing an archer shotting wet noodles or a generic mage that use arrows instead of spells

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Recently made a mostly Mystic Knight walkthrough, and it´s the most fun class. And it´s hard because all the classes are great.

Lizard

Learned
Only way I don't pick warrior(or whatever they replace warrior with) again in the sequel is if his skill slots are still gimped.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
You don't really need any magic for MK to be effective TBH. This guy explains it better than me.

I'm the person who "played" MK wrong according to him (though I never claimed it was weak or unfun). I ignored the shield parry skills entirely, but this time I'll make an effort to use them. The parry window seems to be pretty large so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to use. Still think I might go Mage > Sorc route just because I like to have the comfort augs to shorten cast times and increase buff durations.

This is the build I'm using on my 'definitive' save file and it's probably the best MK build:

1-10 Mage
10-97 Assassin
97-100 Sorcerer
100 - 200 Sorcerer

606/605 AT/MAT

HP- 3570
Stam - ~4100

Of course this is min-maxed to hell and it is not required, you could just be playing MK from 10 to 200, and with the right augments and weapon lv.3 you will melt everything in BBI anyway. What I don't like about lvling pure MK though, is that awful ~3k stamina at 200. That's kinda annoying for hard mode, especially since I don't really like opening the inventory during combat, or using consumables in general. The same goes for pure Sorcerer build.
Probably too much min/maxing for my tastes. Don't think I ever got higher than level 80. The stamina shortage is definitely an annoyance, but I'll chug them for the bigger bosses.

my point was that you can't really play a """true""" Ranger ( with the right feel ) in other games. in those it's like playing an archer shotting wet noodles or a generic mage that use arrows instead of spells
That's because DD has the best classes, class abilities and combat out of all ARPGs, baby.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Played dragon dogma for the first time last week and been nolife-ing it hard, currently at the end doing reruns of bitterblack island to farm good gear.

Very fun game, can understand what the hype is about now.
Really hope you get more buttons to assign skills to, that would be my main complaint: only 3 slots per arm so once you take your bread and butter skills there usually isn’t much room to take anything else.

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher

I'm the person who "played" MK wrong according to him (though I never claimed it was weak or unfun). I ignored the shield parry skills entirely, but this time I'll make an effort to use them. The parry window seems to be pretty large so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to use.

Rummaging through my accounts, I unearthed the very first recording I ever took of a game; and it's perfectly à propos.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I am conflicted.
On one hand i am getting a sequel to a game i liked.On the other,i don't get to see mediocrepoet's breakdown over dogma 2 news being a McDonald's new menu or some other stupid thing.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
always felt that building sucks if you're a new player. that you're better off just playing what you want to play as through the entire game.
also fer returning player like me, who is now doing a second playthrough.i 'll play a MK this time but can't be bothered to play assa or strider for stamina. i just want to play my MK and try sorcerer a bit. while i think this system It's a bit uncomfortable , i think it makessense and add immersion, so i hope it stays in DD2. What they should REALLY rework , as i stated multiple times, is the damage formula.

jungl

Augur
waste of time character building in a game where the enemy ai is worse then beat em up games from the 90s. You might as well forget about the rpg elements.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom