Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Oh also would love the option to have a full 4 man party of your own pawns as I'd have preferred managing the gear and being in charge of the development of the other 2 party members.

Wasn't initially a problem up to lvl20 but after that every pawn available to my lvl range was either really weak or crazily OP.
Seriously how do some manage to get their pawns decked out in fully maxed dragon forged endgame gear with 3 star bestiary knowledge for every enemy by lvl35?

Maybe I'm missing something about the online aspect but it just felt gimmicky.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
r,i don't get to see mediocrepoet's breakdown over dogma 2 news being a McDonald's new menu or some other stupid thing.
mediocrepoet You have breakdowns over Mcdonalds? Eggsplain yourself, mister.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/dragons-dogma-dark-arisen.103347/post-7984669 and some posts below it.

Alright boys, who else is ready to be disappointed and then set themselves on fire to protest in the middle of traffic today?

Don't get excited.
I'm sustained by barely restrained seething rage. I'm ready for the announcement of special edition DD themed Pocky and "Harspud Milk" energy drink that will be like the 1-2 punch in the balls I need to keep going for another 10 years of decline and nothingness.

D2: Dragon Kartin'!

Can't wait to play chibi Fournival on a moped!

Ah! I'm so dumb. It should have been obvious since this is Capcom.

New Street Fighter 6 DD Anniversary DLC pack! Join Ryu, Chun-li and friends with new challengers Fournival, Madeleine, and the Seneschal Arisen!

New DD themed weapons DLC packs for Monster Hunter Rise!

Play as Selene or Aelinore in the new Dragon's Dogma 10th Anniversary Resident Evil: Village character DLC packs!

All DLCs sold separately pre-order now!

Thank you for the continued support and love for Dragon's Dogma! We are happy to continue to receive your money while doing nothing!

15 minutes! Who's ready?

510DtKE8lIL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Alex

Arcane
I've never been able to understand what people find good about the first game. I tried playing it for a while, but it looked like a huge mmo world with a gimmicky combat system that couldn't decide if it wanted to be an action game or not.

But then again, I didn't play very far, so maybe the great aspects of the game show up later?

Lorebrok

Educated
I'm gonna blowjob Dragon's Dogma again here because this announcement made me do another Bitterblack runthrough for a few hours.

In that making of video they did I really hope they keep sticking to the whole, "do these traditionally high fantasy monsters and creatures but do them well." I remember when playing through DD for the first time a couple years back that many fantasy RPGs have you fighting something like a gryphon, but how many of them let your character actually feel like they're engaged in proper battle with a gryphon? That's what DD nails best, it goes into your imagination of what it'd look like having a multi-headed hydra trying to devour one of your party members while you desperately try to cut its head off to free them.

Capcom, you can fuck up SF6 but please don't fuck this up. I need this.
I totally agree my man. DD did fighting, especially fighting monsters fun as hell. I always compare combat in games to DD. It just feels believable

Zeriel

Arcane
I've never been able to understand what people find good about the first game. I tried playing it for a while, but it looked like a huge mmo world with a gimmicky combat system that couldn't decide if it wanted to be an action game or not.

But then again, I didn't play very far, so maybe the great aspects of the game show up later?

The start is a bit bland. To put it simply: it has fun, action-y combat, a decent world to explore without a lot of the modern design cancer, and there are plenty of quests and story to explore once you get to the main city.

It's very much a "grows on you" experience. Personally I don't value the combat gimmicks as much as some people do, but I found it a very fun experience as someone who grew up on 90s games, so it's not like I'm part of the popamole crowd. I do appreciate exploration a lot in games, though.

Then there's the more subjective stuff. Like the day/night cycle; for me the first time you're out at night in the starting coastal area with the Nocturne/night theme playing is highly memorable.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
This game will separate de wheat from the chaff.

A lot From Software fans were already exposed liking Elden Ring turd so much. They will come here preaching about limited stamina, rolling, poison swamps and god forbids: PvP.

They are not ready for earthquakes, asteroid rain and tsunami coming from their hands wrecking the earth and every ugly monster in their way. They only know casting 2 blue farts that make 10% damage to regular mobs at 60 int and +100 wand, before having to drink one of their 3 blue estus charges to cast 2 more disappointing spells.

They are not prepared to climb into bosses, hack their eyes, and remove 2 health bars with a skull splitter or some cool skill. They only know how to do 2 orthopedic attacks before rolling into a 3s feinted delayed attack loosing 3/4 health. They will consider casual standing 10seconds without touching any button with the assassin to make a baddass counter while drinking expensive whiskey.

Do we talk about archery? :D

It´s not their fault, they have been traumatized by the greatest scammer in gaming history. Don´t be rude to them, just take their money to finance DDII and ask politely to abandon the thread. Same applies to waifu coomers.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
This game will separate de wheat from the chaff.

A lot From Software fans were already exposed liking Elden Ring turd so much. They will come here preaching about limited stamina, rolling, poison swamps and god forbids: PvP.

They are not ready for earthquakes, asteroid rain and tsunami coming from their hands wrecking the earth and every ugly monster in their way. They only know casting 2 blue farts that make 10% damage to regular mobs at 60 int and +100 wand, before having to drink one of their 3 blue estus charges to cast 2 more disappointing spells.

They are not prepared to climb into bosses, hack their eyes, and remove 2 health bars with a skull splitter or some cool skill. They only know how to do 2 orthopedic attacks before rolling into a 3s feinted delayed attack loosing 3/4 health. They will consider casual standing 10seconds without touching any button with the assassin to make a baddass counter while drinking expensive whiskey.

Do we talk about archery? :D

It´s not their fault, they have been traumatized by the greatest scammer in gaming history. Don´t be rude to them, just take their money to finance DDII and ask politely to abandon the thread. Same applies to waifu coomers.
while i agree on ER being disappointing, i still think first Dark Souls is one of the best game ever. not so much for combat, but for atmosphere, exploration, level design and how much it tells to you without actually telling. it was the most memorable experience i had in my gaming life ( well after Deus ex) . DD is a flawed gem. it is also one of the best and most fun games in recent times, but still not GOAT level like DS and Deus Ex IMO

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Did you try the advanced classes? Combat gets really fun with assassin where you zip around the battle field. Or warrior who can kill things with one hit. Or magic archer that does crazy things with bow, like homing arrows that fly around and dart towards the enemy. First couple of hours are pretty bland, I agree; but once you get to the capital and can pick different classes. It really picks up.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
while i agree on ER being disappointing, i still think first Dark Souls is one of the best game ever. not so much for combat, but for atmosphere, exploration, level design and how much it tells to you without actually telling. it was the most memorable experience i had in my gaming life ( well after Deus ex) . DD is a flawed gem. it is also one of the best and most fun games in recent times, but still not GOAT level like DS and Deus Ex IMO
Completely subscribe your post (DS1 and Deus Ex GOATs). Elden Ring was a huge dissapointment to me and sadly it will not have the negative feedback From Software needs to go back to the good path.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I've never been able to understand what people find good about the first game.

Since you don't like ARPG's, I would say to don't bother yourself.
But to answer your question:
- solid and interesting combat system
- good enemy design
- nice variety of classes, all with their distinct playstyles
- versatile and cool magic
- actually useful AI party members

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've never been able to understand what people find good about the first game.

Since you don't like ARPG's, I would say to don't bother yourself.
But to answer your question:
- solid and interesting combat system
- good enemy design
- nice variety of classes, all with their distinct playstyles
- versatile and cool magic
- actually useful AI party members

I would add:
- actually dark darkness
- environmental interactions that make sense like water putting out your lantern or wind blowing you differently depending on your mass
- equipment systems like food spoiling, lanterns using oil and burning down, etc.
- dragons and other monsters that are awesome and can do stuff like buffet you around like a ragdoll.

Delterius

Arcane
97% of my enjoyment of dragon's dogma comes from the fact that the extremes height and weight are actual attributes with real material effects on the way you experience the game.

it's hardly enough to carry the game for anyone else, but to me it's one of those rough gem ideas that make a game worth talking about.

if i play a really tall character they have massive reach with their two-handed hammer. if i play a short character they can scale monsters that much more easily and kill the monster with their dagger.

i feel that when we talk about 'action rpgs' it should be about that sort of thing. a game where you create a character whose physical characteristics affect the action game-play in fundamental ways. that's what makes dragon's dogma a true hybrid imo and perhaps worth playing.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I am conflicted.
On one hand i am getting a sequel to a game i liked.On the other,i don't get to see mediocrepoet's breakdown over dogma 2 news being a McDonald's new menu or some other stupid thing.
It's okay--in a couple years Porky will complain about the difficulty of something no one else has any trouble with and go back and forth for a couple pages with the first person to insult him.

Dhaze

Cipher
I would add:
- actually dark darkness

It feels like a lot of developers have never been out without artificial light when the sun has long set. Or they don't want to/don't know how to deal with actual darkness in their games.

I know most people think it's silly, but I absolutely love when darkness in a game is a dense, inky pall not easily lifted. It always feels wrong when a game has me traipsing through some eons-forgotten vaults... and I have no issue seeing what's 100 meters ahead.

97% of my enjoyment of dragon's dogma comes from the fact that the extremes height and weight are actual attributes with real material effects on the way you experience the game.

I wouldn't go so high (pun!) as 97%, but that's also something I enjoy a lot. Hitboxes and hitable boxes should be affected by a character's height, girth, and arm reach. There's a lot to be said about the possibility of creating a thieving type of character, and making him minute of body to better slink about in cramped spaces.

If I recall, there were goblin holes in the Shadow Fort, holes in which only a very small character could enter. And I wouldn't be surprised to learn the developers had much more of that kind of thing planned for the game.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The first and only time I played an MK I went Fighter as well. It was fine but don't most of their skills scale with Magic more than Strength? Even skills like Stone Forest scale with your character's Magic stat and the physical portion comes from your weapon damage iirc.

Edit: wtf, who moved these posts in the DD2 thread? We were discussing the first game.
Once upon a time, this was a glorious Dragon's Dogma II thread created by me. Now, I've not only lost credit but have no control over the thread whatsover.

:betrayed::despair: Infinitron help a brother out

it's hardly enough to carry the game for anyone else, but to me it's one of those rough gem ideas that make a game worth talking about.

if i play a really tall character they have massive reach with their two-handed hammer. if i play a short character they can scale monsters that much more easily and kill the monster with their dagger.

i feel that when we talk about 'action rpgs' it should be about that sort of thing. a game where you create a character whose physical characteristics affect the action game-play in fundamental ways. that's what makes dragon's dogma a true hybrid imo and perhaps worth playing.

The character creator tieing the psychical build of your character into the stat system feels like such a revelation (yet simple idea) you almost wonder why it took so long to be done. It's just such a nice and simple and intuitive design choice. Although I definitely remember looking in place like the old BioWare forums to see what that group thought of the game, and I definitely remember on release there were people pissed off they couldn't make some skinny twink when they also wanted to make someone that was super strong...so that was funny.

Even on the technical side it's doing some nice things, like having a camera that works in cutscenes and in-game no matter what height you make your character; seems even more impressive given changing the height of your character is something most games seem to want to avoid like the plague. And the layering/armor system that allows all armor to actually still look good and normal no matter what you make your character look like.

9nxrsru.png

Please, PLEASE let it be good. All appendages crossed here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom