Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

Moink

Cipher
I think there's some confusion here, Mason isn't a native to the kingdom the game is set in, he's a spy sent there from another kingdom (Hearthstone) to investigate the dragon sighting, my point was there's clearly meant to be a non-white European style kingdom somewhere in the DD universe since the 2 people from the same place are non-whites, and this was established in the first game so I'm not shocked we see it again in the next, and I suspect the black guy (Brent) is from that same kingdom. If he's not then it's bad worldbuilding but if he is it's not like there wasn't a previous precedent for such things.

deuxhero

Arcane
It's not healthy for darker skinned to live in medium/low sun area, and it's VERY unhealthy for low max tan to live in HIGH sun areas. And people before mass transit era, and before current type of "multiculturality" folly were quite against idea of intermarrying with someone with distant blood and have children who lost positive traits.
Gransys is actually pretty consistent in its Mediterranean stylings.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
sfcyzbC.png

Mason can be found at the slums....the slums is located at the drainage area under the city of Gran Soren....
He's shady character... But he could be just male variant of Mercedes who is just higher minimal skin pigment variant, which happens naturally as genetic evolution in southern areas.
Are you sure he is black African inspired person? To me he looks like he was inspired by some shady cheater from south.

It's not healthy for darker skinned to live in medium/low sun area, and it's VERY unhealthy for low max tan to live in HIGH sun areas. And people before mass transit era, and before current type of "multiculturality" folly were quite against idea of intermarrying with someone with distant blood and have children who lost positive traits.
So... what you are saying is that Mason was an illegal immigrant?
I think either it was an agent of foreign state, or he simply moved few hundred km to get his revenge, and after that...

Considering the story, he'd be likely blamed for damage and burned on stake.

Anonona

Learned
I seem to remember he worked for the church as an agent. You can find him hiding on the nurses convent after doing his quests and I think he leaves Gransys after the Dragon's death. Also there was a quest were he ask you to interrogate citizens of Gran Soren because they mistrust him, which seemed to imply that it was because he was foreigner.

deuxhero

Arcane
catchaser Late Bloomer
Pawn chatter explicitly states Gransys has "mild weather year round". The coast is always referred to as a "sea", never "ocean" (outside a single quest name that's a figure of speach), and clearly an inner sea instead of an ocean from the beaches. The architecture in Cassardis is also pretty damn blatantly Mediterranean. The ascetics all fit something like Italy, Southern France, or Eastern Spain than any ocean side of a country.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
catchaser Late Bloomer
Pawn chatter explicitly states Gransys has "mild weather year round". The coast is always referred to as a "sea", never "ocean" (outside a single quest name that's a figure of speach), and clearly an inner sea instead of an ocean from the beaches. The architecture in Cassardis is also pretty damn blatantly Mediterranean. The ascetics all fit something like Italy, Southern France, or Eastern Spain than any ocean side of a country.

Game Director Hideaki Isuno.
Europe / Northern English Timestamped 1:11

Here is an aritcle that explains the inspiration.

https://www.ign.com/articles/how-dragons-dogma-2-creators-crafted-its-high-fantasy-world

Reinhardt

Arcane
catchaser Late Bloomer
big part of game bestiary is mediterranean too

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
catchaser Late Bloomer
I didn't know goblins were Mediterraneans.

Reinhardt

Arcane
catchaser Late Bloomer
wolves are tho

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
catchaser Late Bloomer
wolves are tho
Tigers and Lions too.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
And people before mass transit era, and before current type of "multiculturality" folly were quite against idea of intermarrying with someone with distant blood and have children who lost positive traits.
If that were the case, Humanity would not be as ethnically diverse as it is

jungl

Augur
only thing im looking forward 2 is the re engine and tinkering the visuals still seems like a dumbass brawler game.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Was there ever given an in-universe explanation as to why there are hostile pawns on Bitterblack Isle

Anonona

Learned
Was there ever given an in-universe explanation as to why there are hostile pawns on Bitterblack Isle
I'm probably wrong, but I think it may had been the same reason as the mad pawns in the Everfall; the lost of their arisen led to the degradation of their minds and to become hostile as time passed. Because of their immortality, they simple wander killing anyone on sight. Although it may be that Daimon had powers similar to that of the wyverns and dragons and could brainwash them, but I don't recall any mention of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom