Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon's Dogma II - "They’re masterworks, all – you can’t go wrong"

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fellow autistic dexers, after much painful inner reflection, my autism has been settled. After creating a beastren fighter, I am going to make a new character: male human fighter. My first playthrough will be with him (Tormund) and will go Fighter > Warrior. After this, on my 2nd playthrough, I will pick up the current save file I have with my beastren (Guinan) who will go Fighter > Warrior(?) > Warfarer (and probably most vocations before that). It is perfect. I have it. I will commence play at once, upon Lent's glorious ending and Eastertide's beginnings, my dear brothers in extreme aspergers.

You see, my dilemma was thus: as excited as I was to play my based Not-Guin character, it felt wrong to play with a super buff hulking beast guy on my virgin playthrough (please be gentle, Itsuno). The appeal as playing MALE HUMAN FIGHTER every time is that you are just some guy. You are not super strong or magic-gifted, or etc. You are like medieval fantasy Bruce Wayne minus the wealth. You are Nameless from Gothic. Maybe you have some muscle, but you are not this hulking presence of otherworldly strength. So the fun is overcoming as a MALE HUMAN FIGHTER, as a man. Gary Gygax was infinitely monocled for this understanding. Try as I might, as exciting as the novelty was of playing as a beast race (couldn't care less about doing so in Elder Scrolls), I could not shake this feeling of playing this game the same as I do in every game. I really do make these MALE HUMAN FIGHTERS as a sort of image after myself I think, as a sort of a projection of myself into this world, to overcome. Yet, if I was to do a 2nd playthrough with Beastren, what would that be like? I want to play Fighter/Warrior NOW. But, it just doesn't seem fitting to have a Guin homage character be anything BUT a fighter/warrior character on my second playthrough. I also wanted to play the other classes, especially Mystic Spearhand. I literally paused my beastren character and just had Guinan staring off into nothing, standing still in a stream in the very first area of the game, contemplating if I should continue, reasoning that if I was to make a new character, it must be now, since the journey will be long. I ended up falling asleep, was this burden so heavy on my heart. I also second-guessed my pawn character (smoking hot human female mage). I was wondering if I should have a super squad of all beastren, as a sort of fulfilment of head-canon prophecy of this beastren whose people hated him and his pawns to be the Arisen and save all. On the other hand, having a main pawn be a human would also contribute to this in a sense and heighten the discrimination in its own way (there is that weird so-called Arisen, our own race, with his human pawn, what an outcast!). I weighed my options and sensibilities. Guinan was cool because, being a beastren Arisen, he is sort of an underdog among his people in his own right, since they hate Arisen/pawns. And he could overcome muh waycism and all that from the world that hates beastren. He is like a double-outcast. There is also the religious aspect, as his people are weird flame-worshipping pagans, and he could sort of be a paladin type. I also gave him huge beastren arms and he looks hella sick. But something was off, brothers. It felt "wrong" or "not yet/quite right" to go down this path at this time. This inner turmoil was compounded by the gravity of my choice: am I really going to delete this save file and re-roll another human? And then the news that multiple save slots dropped and I rejoiced. But all was still not squared. In my desperation, I fell to the temptation of googling. I came upon two articles: one of which articulated reasons to go with human or beastren from roleplay perspectives (it mentioned the paladin thing for beastren). And another, forgive me brothers and may glorious Elah in His infinite love have mercy on my soul, from PC Gamer, exhorting to play Warfarer on a 2nd playthrough. And this is when it hit me, like when God in His majesty created light and the world no longer had the creeping of darkness over it, or when Jesus Christ in a beam of light converted Saul into Paul: the Warfarer would be the perfect way to roleplay with a beastren, from one who is already beefy and mighty and strong, though an outcast, who will become the Beastren Arisen, who will retain the raw masculinity of a warrior-type class with armor like that, while simultaneously being a beastly jacked jack of all trades as the chosen Arisen, while still fitting into the Conan-esque archetype (Battahl seems similar to Cimmeria) of this Barbarian/Warrior hero. All of this culminating in the wicked sweet name of "Warfarer". The ultimate chosen warrior-hero. And his people's lure to magic would make sense when I make him learn Sorcerer skills and etc, to be used alongside various melee moves as Warfarer. A hero that learned all these different ways of war/warfare. An already-physically strong beast-man, tall, with long reach, who would perfect his melee prowess and branch out to incorporate and cultivate all other skills from all vocations. And, this being on the second-playthrough (as the article recommends), I can have my "brave rando who tames the world around him and ascends to his destiny" MALE HUMAN FIGHTER story as well, as I learn the game's systems, and vocations, and skills over the course of an entire playthrough. Then, on 2nd playthrough, as this game has deep combat and tons of options, I will play the Warfarer after having spent a playthrough familiarizing myself with a number of vocations already in the playthrough before. Like the beastren, I will already be "strong myself" by this time and have an edge over this world. And I will get to see the minor alternate story beats and get to see and experience everything the game has. I will get to experience and roleplay both scenarios, while keeping things exciting and fresh from a raw gameplay perspective. How fittingly diegetic! I have found it, brothers. The perfect answer to my autistic meltdown dilemma.

What the shit? Is this copypasta? :lol:

Spike

Educated
Fellow autistic dexers, after much painful inner reflection, my autism has been settled. After creating a beastren fighter, I am going to make a new character: male human fighter. My first playthrough will be with him (Tormund) and will go Fighter > Warrior. After this, on my 2nd playthrough, I will pick up the current save file I have with my beastren (Guinan) who will go Fighter > Warrior(?) > Warfarer (and probably most vocations before that). It is perfect. I have it. I will commence play at once, upon Lent's glorious ending and Eastertide's beginnings, my dear brothers in extreme aspergers.

You see, my dilemma was thus: as excited as I was to play my based Not-Guin character, it felt wrong to play with a super buff hulking beast guy on my virgin playthrough (please be gentle, Itsuno). The appeal as playing MALE HUMAN FIGHTER every time is that you are just some guy. You are not super strong or magic-gifted, or etc. You are like medieval fantasy Bruce Wayne minus the wealth. You are Nameless from Gothic. Maybe you have some muscle, but you are not this hulking presence of otherworldly strength. So the fun is overcoming as a MALE HUMAN FIGHTER, as a man. Gary Gygax was infinitely monocled for this understanding. Try as I might, as exciting as the novelty was of playing as a beast race (couldn't care less about doing so in Elder Scrolls), I could not shake this feeling of playing this game the same as I do in every game. I really do make these MALE HUMAN FIGHTERS as a sort of image after myself I think, as a sort of a projection of myself into this world, to overcome. Yet, if I was to do a 2nd playthrough with Beastren, what would that be like? I want to play Fighter/Warrior NOW. But, it just doesn't seem fitting to have a Guin homage character be anything BUT a fighter/warrior character on my second playthrough. I also wanted to play the other classes, especially Mystic Spearhand. I literally paused my beastren character and just had Guinan staring off into nothing, standing still in a stream in the very first area of the game, contemplating if I should continue, reasoning that if I was to make a new character, it must be now, since the journey will be long. I ended up falling asleep, was this burden so heavy on my heart. I also second-guessed my pawn character (smoking hot human female mage). I was wondering if I should have a super squad of all beastren, as a sort of fulfilment of head-canon prophecy of this beastren whose people hated him and his pawns to be the Arisen and save all. On the other hand, having a main pawn be a human would also contribute to this in a sense and heighten the discrimination in its own way (there is that weird so-called Arisen, our own race, with his human pawn, what an outcast!). I weighed my options and sensibilities. Guinan was cool because, being a beastren Arisen, he is sort of an underdog among his people in his own right, since they hate Arisen/pawns. And he could overcome muh waycism and all that from the world that hates beastren. He is like a double-outcast. There is also the religious aspect, as his people are weird flame-worshipping pagans, and he could sort of be a paladin type. I also gave him huge beastren arms and he looks hella sick. But something was off, brothers. It felt "wrong" or "not yet/quite right" to go down this path at this time. This inner turmoil was compounded by the gravity of my choice: am I really going to delete this save file and re-roll another human? And then the news that multiple save slots dropped and I rejoiced. But all was still not squared. In my desperation, I fell to the temptation of googling. I came upon two articles: one of which articulated reasons to go with human or beastren from roleplay perspectives (it mentioned the paladin thing for beastren). And another, forgive me brothers and may glorious Elah in His infinite love have mercy on my soul, from PC Gamer, exhorting to play Warfarer on a 2nd playthrough. And this is when it hit me, like when God in His majesty created light and the world no longer had the creeping of darkness over it, or when Jesus Christ in a beam of light converted Saul into Paul: the Warfarer would be the perfect way to roleplay with a beastren, from one who is already beefy and mighty and strong, though an outcast, who will become the Beastren Arisen, who will retain the raw masculinity of a warrior-type class with armor like that, while simultaneously being a beastly jacked jack of all trades as the chosen Arisen, while still fitting into the Conan-esque archetype (Battahl seems similar to Cimmeria) of this Barbarian/Warrior hero. All of this culminating in the wicked sweet name of "Warfarer". The ultimate chosen warrior-hero. And his people's lure to magic would make sense when I make him learn Sorcerer skills and etc, to be used alongside various melee moves as Warfarer. A hero that learned all these different ways of war/warfare. An already-physically strong beast-man, tall, with long reach, who would perfect his melee prowess and branch out to incorporate and cultivate all other skills from all vocations. And, this being on the second-playthrough (as the article recommends), I can have my "brave rando who tames the world around him and ascends to his destiny" MALE HUMAN FIGHTER story as well, as I learn the game's systems, and vocations, and skills over the course of an entire playthrough. Then, on 2nd playthrough, as this game has deep combat and tons of options, I will play the Warfarer after having spent a playthrough familiarizing myself with a number of vocations already in the playthrough before. Like the beastren, I will already be "strong myself" by this time and have an edge over this world. And I will get to see the minor alternate story beats and get to see and experience everything the game has. I will get to experience and roleplay both scenarios, while keeping things exciting and fresh from a raw gameplay perspective. How fittingly diegetic! I have found it, brothers. The perfect answer to my autistic meltdown dilemma.

What the shit? Is this copypasta? :lol:
Hilariously, perhaps alarmingly, no.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

I can't wait for his 500 page report about working in the mine, moving rocks around.

Spike

Educated

I can't wait for his 500 page report about working in the mine, moving rocks around.
:lol::lol::lol: Good one! The irony is that I feel as though I didn't fully articulate myself.

Spike

Educated
Articulate more plz
After wandering my room (the heat from the PC makes it hot here, even in winter time, which is stubbornly holding out in Chicagoland as it is wont to do), I have formulated what is lacking. I was only missing the detail that, to add to the diegetic genius of this decision, I do not want to play gay ass magic stuff on my first playthrough any way. I want to play straight melee first time around (perhaps Mystic Spearhand as well). And when I do add magic et al in the second playtru, I would prefer it is not the whole time and is limited/accompanied by melee: Warfarer!
EDIT: I was hoping you would encourage me, good man. :smug:
EDIT 2: The streams of 'tism fall like rain. The first character, the MALE HUMAN FIGHTER, will become a Warrior. A melee/warrior/knight type he will remain, and maybe I will do Mystic Spearhad, I dunno, I fill figure the lore when the time comes. But for Guinan: thinking Fighter > Warrior (or maybe everything else, might be weird to just do those two same classes again for so long, not sure how the order will go but he seems like he will start as a Fighter?) and ultimately become a Warfarer. But he is a fighter/warrior at heart, in himself, and first and foremost, who ascends his destiny as The Warfarer. With 'tism high, I cannot comprehend a beastren of his stature and background to be anything but a melee-type fighter/warrior/barbarian/paladin, and "Warfarer" seems to be the perfect diction to capture this identity of him. It has a wild connotation fitting to those who hail from Battahl. Yet, it also has a "jack-of-all-trades" aspect to it, allowing for deep magical knowledge, and archery, and all forms of combat, which will be necessary in Guinan's destiny.

Perkel

Arcane
I never said I struggled, I said that the experience is not enjoyable

If you've never experienced combat-focused games above 120 FPS with a GSync monitor then you wouldn't know what you're missing

And it's worth pointing out that this is with a top of the line CPU, those with medium or low end rigs are suffering much worse than me

Point is, the performance is not a 'non-issue' as you claimed it is

yup. I have literally 5800X3D aka one of the best cpus around and without any tricks i get in city 40fps. So someone with normal good cpu probably is hovering 25ish fps and someone with something less than good probably at 10-15fps.

You need to make sure you play as the worst possible classes in order to maintain some sort of challenge

It gets a bit harder toward the end but i feel like group of 2-3 instead of 4 should increase the challenge. This is my plan for second playtrough.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
You need to make sure you play as the worst possible classes in order to maintain some sort of challenge
That sure sounds like fun. Just gib us some difficulty options Crapcom. How about "limited Inn saves" and "finite camp gear." Me likes the sound of that. Might have to slowdown or eliminate the degrading HP bar tho to balance it out.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Articulate more plz
After wandering my room (the heat from the PC makes it hot here, even in winter time, which is stubbornly holding out in Chicagoland as it is wont to do), I have formulated what is lacking. I was only missing the detail that, to add to the diegetic genius of this decision, I do not want to play gay ass magic stuff on my first playthrough any way. I want to play straight melee first time around (perhaps Mystic Spearhand as well). And when I do add magic et al in the second playtru, I would prefer it is not the whole time and is limited/accompanied by melee: Warfarer!
EDIT 2: The streams of 'tism fall like rain. The first character, the MALE HUMAN FIGHTER, will become a Warrior. A melee/warrior/knight type he will remain, and maybe I will do Mystic Spearhad, I dunno, I fill figure the lore when the time comes. But for Guinan: thinking Fighter > Warrior (or maybe everything else, might be weird to just do those two same classes again for so long, not sure how the order will go but he seems like he will start as a Fighter?) and ultimately become a Warfarer. But he is a fighter/warrior at heart, in himself, and first and foremost, who ascends his destiny as The Warfarer. With 'tism high, I cannot comprehend a beastren of his stature and background to be anything but a melee-type fighter/warrior/barbarian/paladin, and "Warfarer" seems to be the perfect diction to capture this identity of him. It has a wild connotation fitting to those who hail from Battahl. Yet, it also has a "jack-of-all-trades" aspect to it, allowing for deep magical knowledge, and archery, and all forms of combat, which will be necessary in Guinan's destiny.

Spike, please consider this for your playthroughs also.

men-s-finger-pushing-key-enter-laptop-keyboard-close-up_547271-3029.jpg

Spike

Educated

Articulate more plz

Spike, please consider this for your playthroughs also.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Duly noted.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm 37 hours in now, the amount of time most reviewers seemed to finish the game in. Don't feel like I'm anywhere near the end. Only completed like two quests in Battahl. Can only assume those who finish it in that time did no unguided exploring whatsoever.

I think it's a fun game, and I stand by my statement of "If you liked the original, you'll like this". But those saying it's better than the first are crazy, IMO. It's definitely not as good.

My main beefs with DD2:
- Most of the things that brought the first game down are still here, after 12(!) years: single character slot, chests rarely yield anything interesting or exciting, retarded plot/quests, spamming curatives from pause menu.
- Sad about lack of multiple layers of armour.
- Don't love the new vocations, missing old vocations that I liked more (strider, mystic knight, etc)

What I like:
- Most of what made the first game great is still here, unaltered.
- World feels more fun to explore.
- Pawns feel more fleshed out/useful and inclination system is less cryptic.

What I don't care about one way or another:
- Perfomance. NPCs phasing in and mild FPS drops in crowded areas. Not ideal but, like, which big RPG doesn't have performance issues at launch??
- Complaints about lack of difficulty. Not like the first game was hard, difficulty wasn't the point of Dragon's Dogma.
- MTX. Extremely unobtrusive and unnecessary for anyone to spend IRL money on. Big corporation is greedy, news at 11. There's no in game pop ups telling you to buy shit or anything annoying like that.
- Black guy
Very nice points made. I wish this kind of valid criticism would arrive to devs instead of retarded endless screaming about mtx, and straight up lies.

Terenty

Liturgist
Haven't read the thread so maybe it's been mention already:

there are mods on nexus that make the game harder, you can customize damage received for the player and for monsters and the amount of XP received.

I'm currently playing with 2x damaged received for me and 0.8 for enemies and also I put it to half the XP/DCP for killing.

So far it's been pretty brutal, you basically need the whole team to survive. I'm still in the beginning so things might change.

It's not that straightforward though, making trash mobs like goblins, wolfs, harpies too tanky will lead to tedium real fast as they spawn pretty quickly. So maybe the solution is to set them to receive vanilla damage but ramp up their damage output and for the big enemies to increase both received and output.

The good news is modders are already at work creating a proper hard difficulty

Yosharian

Arcane
And what would you say those are?

Hmm possibly Warrior? Definitely not Sorc, Augural Flare trivialises everything.

Working without a Mage in your party could also be a good way to increase difficulty.

Archer falls off a bit later on I've heard so that might be a good option.

I've heard that the pawn AI can't do much with Thief but I never tested that.

I guess you could make a party of Warrior/Fighter/Thief/Archer and see how that goes.

You could also do Mystic Spearhand + some combination of Warrior/Fighter/Thief/Archer, since MS gets this kind of bubble ability to protect your party apparently, and MS is getting some grief for not being that good from what I've seen

Definitely don't take Magick Archer, people are saying that it's OP as fuck

Spike

Educated
And what would you say those are?

Hmm possibly Warrior? Definitely not Sorc, Augural Flare trivialises everything.

Working without a Mage in your party could also be a good way to increase difficulty.

Archer falls off a bit later on I've heard so that might be a good option.

I've heard that the pawn AI can't do much with Thief but I never tested that.

I guess you could make a party of Warrior/Fighter/Thief/Archer and see how that goes.

You could also do Mystic Spearhand + some combination of Warrior/Fighter/Thief/Archer, since MS gets this kind of bubble ability to protect your party apparently, and MS is getting some grief for not being that good from what I've seen

Definitely don't take Magick Archer, people are saying that it's OP as fuck
Warrior? *puts hands in a steeple* Splendid.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah I've heard that Warrior is more 'cool' than 'OP'. Like it's solid, don't think that it's weak or anything, but it's not 'delete enemies while sipping a beer' like Thief, Sorc or MA seem to be.

Perkel

Arcane
Finished game. 40 hours but when i got to other nation i started skipping story only doing main quests as I was more focusing on roleplaying than 100% it. I unlocked grand total of 3 extra vocations warrior, archmage and that smoke vocation.

I can confirm again and again that Warrior is one of the most fun i had in gaming. I am monster hunter nut and MH GS has nothing on Warrior "feel". I really hope that in next MH they will add whole improved climbing mechanic from DD2 because it is a win. There is nothing like climbing gryphin going to his neck and powercharging slam right into its head that sends you both tumbling to the ground with grind on your face.

Story wise it was pretty good.
I loved how end game was timed and how you effectively raced with time and C&C could bite you in ass, though it was pretty weak that there wasn't big boss battle at the end but considering the size of dragon it would be another Monster Hunter siege or something so its fine.
I fucking hate elves and got gayelf haha because i helped him once or something, fun part is that 2nd one was his father which is even more gayer.

With new playtrough i think i will go with thief. After so much time spending with hulk i want to fell more fast paced combat, though i will miss warrior much.

Perkel

Arcane
Finished game. 40 hours but when i got to other nation i started skipping story only doing main quests as I was more focusing on roleplaying than 100% it. I unlocked grand total of 3 extra vocations warrior, archmage and that smoke vocation.

I can confirm again and again that Warrior is one of the most fun i had in gaming. I am monster hunter nut and MH GS has nothing on Warrior "feel". I really hope that in next MH they will add whole improved climbing mechanic from DD2 because it is a win. There is nothing like climbing gryphin going to his neck and powercharging slam right into its head that sends you both tumbling to the ground with grind on your face.

Story wise it was pretty good.
I loved how end game was timed and how you effectively raced with time and C&C could bite you in ass, though it was pretty weak that there wasn't big boss battle at the end but considering the size of dragon it would be another Monster Hunter siege or something so its fine.
I fucking hate elves and got gayelf haha because i helped him once or something, fun part is that 2nd one was his father which is even more gayer.

With new playthrough i think i will go with thief. After so much time spending with hulk i want to fell more fast paced combat, though i will miss warrior much. will probably swap a lot though. Definitely now i will try to do everything i can. There is shitload of stuff i never explored.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Well when you think 60 FPS is good, of course 58 wouldn't bother you

30 FPS isn't even action gaming at that point, you're just engaging in a point and click adventure
This is your brain on 120 FPS memes. I've been playing Bloodborne and it's amazing how shitty 30 FPS looks at first when you are used to 60, it's equally amazing how after a couple hours the brain adjusts and it's perfectly playable. 60FPS is more than enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom