Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup questions/thread

desocupado

Magister
Yeah, but I can't cast Ice Storm on top of myself (I mean, I can, but it's not a smart idea), I usually use bolt of cold on those cases, but it does nothing to bloody mummies, Orb of Destruction doesn't work up close, so I was reduced to Mystic Blast.

Zomg

Arbiter
I ran a demonspawn conjurer through 15 rune shit a long time ago and I solved that by just learning both fire and ice beams. By that late in the game you can get like 9/10 power on level 6 attack spells just off of conjurations in the high 20s with zero of the secondary elemental skill. Works good in the hells where a quarter of the stuff is fire weak and a third or so is ice weak. If you were out of spell slots orb of destruction is really redundant with ice storm for a long-range only spell.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Just master Tornado, the only spell you really need to win a 15 rune run. Of course also having firestorm and some bolt spells is nice, but not necessary. And you need utility spells, as always.

Zomg

Arbiter
Tornado got nerfed bad, it's more like Gentle Breeze now. Which sucks because it was fun and got you killed for trying to tornado through gigantic swarms of shit instead of backing up into a corridor like a good Roguelike player

MisterStone

Arcane
Sup bros, so I've been working an Ogre Summoner recently, he's up to D level 13 or 14 and he cleaned out the Orc mines, so he's not doing too bad so far. I think I mentioned this before but Ogre + Summoner is actually not a bad class/race combo (except that Ogres kind of suck no matter what) because the Ogres get high +3 apt in basic spellcasting, and summoners get a LOT of mileage out of a single spell skill (summoning), so low spell skill apt isn't a big disadvantage in this case. Also it seems that many summoning spells don't really scale drastically with spell power, so you can get summoning high enough to cast your favorite spell easily and just use your large spell point reserves to spam icebeasts or whatever.

Anyways, I've been having some rather shit luck with treasure IMO because the damn game created at least two or three book shops, but no fucking summoning books. Also Vehumet is a stingy bitch who won't even cough up a book after I clean out a few hundred orcs for his shiny ass. The only good armor I have right now is troll leather, which makes me hunger faster, which is especially bad for an Ogre spellcaster, but I am able to get by so far.

So as you can see from my char dump I've got rather weak-ass equipment providing damn few resists, and not a large variety of spells. I am wondering if I should maybe branch into conjurations and learn the pure conjurations blasto spells (again spell skills are costly so it's good to focus on as few as possible). I think I can buy a book with repel missles, so I might be able to brave the early levels of the elf halls (I have the shadow creature spell, which is context sensitive, and it kicks ass in that particular branch). I'd probably be turned into hamburger if I go to far down there though. If I can get enough $$ I can buy a nice artifact ring with +wizardry and various resists, which might help.

So... any ideas on what I need to develop more?

(also is summon dragon as awesome as it sounds? I hope I can survive long enough to try it out later on...)

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.9.1 character file.

Spankr the Basher (Ogre Summoner)                                                                                                                  Turns: 30823, Time: 02:26:08

HP 114/114       AC  7     Str 12 (15) XL: 13   Next: 26%
MP  30/30        EV 17     Int 18 (20) God: Vehumet [*****.]
Gold 1102        SH  0     Dex 11      Spells:  7 memorised, 14 levels left

Res.Fire  : . . .   See Invis. : .    a - +4,+0 giant spiked club
Res.Cold  : . . .   Warding    : . .  u - +0 troll leather armour
Life Prot.: . . .   Conserve   : .    (shield restricted)
Res.Acid. : . . .   Res.Corr.  : .    t - +2 cap {Int+3}
Res.Poison: .       Clarity    : .    (no cloak)
Res.Elec. : .       Spirit.Shd : .    (gloves unavailable)
Sust.Abil.: . .     Stasis     : .    (boots unavailable)
Res.Mut.  : .       Ctrl.Telep.: .    (no amulet)
Res.Rott. : .       Levitation : .    d - ring of wizardry
Saprovore : + . .   Ctrl.Flight: .    F - +6 ring of evasion

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, fast metabolism 1, -10% hp, saprovore 1, tough skin 1, Str -1, Int -1, Dex +1
a: Renounce Religion

You are on level 14 of the Dungeon.
You worship Vehumet.
Vehumet is exalted by your worship.
You are hungry.

You have visited 5 branches of the dungeon, and seen 22 of its levels.
You have visited 2 portal chambers: ossuary, sewer.

You have collected 1811 gold pieces.
You have spent 729 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 a - a +4,+0 giant spiked club (weapon)
 l - a blowgun
 Y - an uncursed great mace of draining
Missiles
 e - a +0 javelin (quivered)
 o - 20 poisoned needles
 x - 2 +0 throwing nets
Armour
 h - a runed orcish robe
 t - a +2 cap of intelligence (worn)
 u - a +0 troll leather armour (worn)
Magical devices
 i - a wand of digging {zapped: 1}
 j - a wand of disintegration (3)
 m - a wand of teleportation {zapped: 4}
 n - a wand of draining {empty}
 p - a wand of random effects (24)
 w - a wand of frost {zapped: 3}
Comestibles
 c - 3 meat rations
Scrolls
 f - 5 scrolls of remove curse
 y - a scroll of fog
 G - a scroll of identify
 H - a scroll of recharging
 K - 2 scrolls of vulnerability
 L - a scroll of detect curse
Jewellery
 d - a ring of wizardry (right hand)
 k - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 s - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation
 F - a +6 ring of evasion (left hand)
 N - an uncursed ring of levitation
Potions
 q - 2 potions of resistance
 r - 2 viscous green potions
 v - 2 metallic inky potions
 C - 3 potions of healing
 E - a potion of agility
 O - a potion of berserk rage
 P - a potion of invisibility
 R - 2 metallic orange potions
 V - 2 gluggy white potions
Books
 b - a book of Callings   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   *Summon Small Mammals              Summoning                    1
   *Call Imp                          Summoning                    2
   *Call Canine Familiar              Summoning                    3
   Summon Scorpions                   Summoning/Poison             4
   *Summon Ice Beast                  Ice/Summoning                4
 g - Huetal's Tome of the Frostbite and the Traveller
   (You bought it in a shop on level 4 of the Orcish Mines)   

Apportation                        Translocation                1
   Freezing Aura                      Charms/Ice                   2
   Throw Frost                        Conjuration/Ice              2
   *Blink                             Translocation                2
   *Recall                            Summoning/Translocation      3
   Metabolic Englaciation             Hexes/Ice                    7
 B - a book of Power   

Teleport Other                     Translocation                3
   Iskenderun's Mystic Blast          Conjuration                  4
   Venom Bolt                         Conjuration/Poison           5
   Poisonous Cloud                    Conjuration/Poison/Air       5
   Iron Shot                          Conjuration/Earth            6
   Mass Confusion                     Hexes                        6
   Orb of Destruction                 Conjuration                  7
 I - a book of the Dragon   

Flight                             Charms/Air                   4
   Cause Fear                         Hexes                        5
   Bolt of Fire                       Conjuration/Fire             6
   Dragon Form                        Fire/Transmutation           8
   Summon Dragon                      Summoning                    9
 M - a book of Dreams   

Ensorcelled Hibernation            Hexes/Ice                    2
   Alistair's Intoxication            Transmutation/Poison         4
   Flight                             Charms/Air                   4
   Phase Shift                        Translocation                5
   *Shadow Creatures                  Summoning                    5
Miscellaneous
 A - a lantern of shadows

Skills:
 * Level 12 Fighting
 * Level 12 Maces & Flails
 + Level 6 Throwing
 - Level 1 Armour
 + Level 7 Dodging
 - Level 1 Stealth
 - Level 1 Stabbing
 - Level 1 Traps & Doors
 + Level 11 Spellcasting
 + Level 9 Summonings
 - Level 1 Translocations
 - Level 1 Ice Magic
 - Level 1 Evocations

You have 14 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Success   Level  Hunger
a - Summon Small Mammals  Summ           #####        Excellent   1    None
b - Call Imp              Summ           ######....   Excellent   2    None
c - Call Canine Familiar  Summ           ######....   Excellent   3    None
d - Summon Ice Beast      Ice/Summ       #####.....   Excellent   4    Choko
e - Shadow Creatures      Summ           N/A          Excellent   5    Honeycomb
f - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          Excellent   2    None
g - Recall                Tloc/Summ      N/A          Excellent   3    None

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are too large for most types of armour.
You have a fast metabolism.
You can tolerate rotten meat.
You have tough skin (AC +1).
You are agile (Dex +1).
You are dopey (Int -1).
You are frail (-10% HP).
You are weak (Str -1).

Zomg

Arbiter
Can't really help, but give a report on doing upper elf with shadow creatures, haven't experienced that confluence of spells. Don't get banished by an elf mage. Vehumet will gift fairly soon if you rush a bit and ugly things is a dependable summon until you get the gran grimoire and you can cast haunt and/or summon horrible things.

MisterStone

Arcane
Yeah shadow creatures is pretty nasty in the elven halls because it just makes more elves of all kinds, and some of those can even summon their own critters. As long as you are only coming across one or two elves at a time it's cake walk. HOwever, I still need to get Repel Missiles because there's always a chance you can get hit by something nasty...

MisterStone

Arcane
OK bros, so now I got these rods of destructions (one is +4 the other is +5, they have both fire and cold spells), but it turns out that using rods makes you really really hungry. SInce my ogre bro has good spellcasting, but poor spell skill apts, would it be better to learn some conjurations or to rely on the wands more for blast type stuff?

Also I went into the ice cave and cleaned it out with the shadow creatures spell... basically in there it could summon huge herds of yaks, or even death yaks! Seem a bit glitchy? ANyways, rocking the lair right now, just made a hydra my bitch no prob, so it's going OK. Just need to get some resists and learn some defense spells.

Zomg

Arbiter
There is a "wild animal" version of the ice cave with death yaks, I guess you summoned from that monster list. I had assumed you'd already done lair before orc with 30000 turns used, if you still have lair to go that will get you gift piety from Vehumet for sure.

The only rod I use is the one with freezing cloud, I've never tried to use a destruction rod as a real source of damage. I wouldn't bother with conjurations past like conjure flame and meph cloud either; just throw rocks. Especially so if you see an entrance to shoals, since you are fairly likely to get a big stack of steel javelins in there later on.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The problem is shoals will devastate him with those items...

Just wait for better spells from Vehumet and avoid anything unique or not with strong magic.

Zomg

Arbiter
Yeah, I meant that you can expect those javelins a loooong time from now given normal branch order, meaning shoals is not done to the final floor (which is where you will see a lot of javelineers) until after doing as much as vault:1-7 and getting pretty deep in the main dungeon. But if you see the entrance you know the javelins will probably be there for you later. Until then kill a cyclops and take a few large rocks, buff them with 3-4 enchant I scrolls and they'll let you steal kills from your summons to get full XP and that kinda thing. Saves on food expenditure and you have a much better throwing aptitude and getting just enough conjurations to cast low-power damage spells is a dead end for a conjuring ogre. Steel javelin throwing OTOH will splat orbs of fire in a few turns.

7hm

Scholar
Shoals is an ez-pz dive to Shoals:5 and then summon spam your way to a rune.

In fact, clearing shoals is about the same as clearing swamp - totally optional and shitty. I only bother when I need to grind for items / xp.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Figured I'd give this a whirl again with the new xp system cutting out the annoying victory dancing. But I seriously do not have the patience for this shit any more. I keep getting killed before even reaching the lair, for the same fucking reason.

>You see a (enemy which is faster/as fast as you, that has a chance of killing you 1v1)
>Checking wands.... no useful wands.
>Checking potions.... 8 unidentified single stack potions. Feeling lucky, punk?
>Checking scrolls.... 4 Remove curse scrolls, 6 unidentified single scrolls. HAHA.
/wrists

Nevermind the fucking glory of whiffing against an enemy with a +4 quarterstaff 10 times in a row while they beat you to death with a battleaxe that can't miss and has a delay of 8 instead of the 16 it would if you used it. Or kobolds hitting you for 6 damage a turn with a fucking dagger while you're wearing 20 AC randart platemail.

MisterStone

Arcane
OK Orcs cleaned, hive cleaned, lair cleaned, Elf vault cleaned... I am ashamed to admit it, but I think I've been grinding. I have been overcautious to the point that I am now at 60k moves and have no runes. Anway, I had to clean the fucking elf vaults out before I found enough cash to buy a spellbook with repel missiles. Armor class still sucks due to being an ogre... I found a nonrandart set of +4 robes with stat gains (robes of augmentation) in the elf vaults but this still kind of sux. I would have taken out the snakes already except I ran into Mara, one of the nastiest unique NPCs in the game, but I think I know how to fuck his world up now, so can do that. Also now that I have repel missiles I should be able to handle the shoals without much problem I think.

THe elf halls were surprisingly easy even without deflect missiles... the thing is, I can use a rod to make freezing cloud, so I just drop that shit right on top of the nastier casters and then spam a few summons to keep them busy while they die. I almost got killed by f'ing elite archer, but luckily I remembered to cast demonic horde right at the last minute, which summoned a giant cloud of meat shields to protect me so I could use my rod on his sorry ass as well.

Another shameful admission- I almost died in the snake pits to a fucking unique dragon... once again, lack of fucking repel missles or good resistances almost did me in there. Luckily meat shield clouds, blink and running away like a little bitch saved me there.

So now I got repel missiles and summon ugly things, so I'm feeling pretty mean. I think I am going to beef up charms, so eventually (if I can free up enough slots) I can learn silence, hast and deflect missiles too, maybe some other stuff. HOpe i can get some more amnesia scrolls, but I can also just turn off everthing but spellcasting and max it out with my racial +3 aptitude, so it's all good. Does anyone know if learning phase shift is worthwhile? It gives you a +8 evasion bonus while it's active. Or maybe learning that ice armor spell? THere is a manual of ice in a shop somewhere, I might could use that to train up ice magic skill to a tolerable level it it's worth it. Dammit, I need some more defense.

betamin

Learned
DamnedRegistrations said:
Figured I'd give this a whirl again with the new xp system cutting out the annoying victory dancing. But I seriously do not have the patience for this shit any more. I keep getting killed before even reaching the lair, for the same fucking reason.

>You see a (enemy which is faster/as fast as you, that has a chance of killing you 1v1)
>Checking scrolls.... 4 Remove curse scrolls, 6 unidentified single scrolls. HAHA.
/wrists

Nevermind the fucking glory of whiffing against an enemy with a +4 quarterstaff 10 times in a row while they beat you to death with a battleaxe that can't miss and has a delay of 8 instead of the 16 it would if you used it. Or kobolds hitting you for 6 damage a turn with a fucking dagger while you're wearing 20 AC randart platemail.

You have to train certain reflexes, such as: see a scroll -> read it, get a potion ->drink it. Besides that, risk management is the name of the game, since you know that you can't reliably expect constant results you have to play asking yourself "is this 1% riskier than that? If so, don't do it". If you die even then, whatever.

Or do as I do and play ogre berserker and one shot everything that doesn't kill you and die to the rest. Fast but fun and takes you surprisingly far.

MisterStone

Arcane
BTW DR I think that the current versions also makes getting started a bit smoother- it's not as bad as earlier versions where most class/race builds had to struggle to survive the first three or four levels in order to get that one spell or whatever that let's them get over the hump and start to take off. It's a lot more forgiving for spellcasters, for instance, and being a backstabber seems to actually be realistic now that you don't have to actually use the skill very often to train it after skill rank 1.

So really it's a lot less tedious that earlier versions of CSS, and CSS is a lot less tedious than the original Crawl...

Zomg

Arbiter
DamnedRegistrations said:
But I seriously do not have the patience for this shit any more. I keep getting killed before even reaching the lair, for the same fucking reason.

/wrists

It's possible to have the early game down to a science and only very rarely hit really unwinnable situations, see: people with 10+ game win streaks, using completely different builds. I briefly had like a 25% ascension rate on akrasiac at my point of highest interest in the game and every one of my 75% losses was an obvious stupid decision on my part, not a bad beat.

MisterStone said:
THe elf halls were surprisingly easy even without deflect missiles... the thing is, I can use a rod to make freezing cloud, so I just drop that shit right on top of the nastier casters and then spam a few summons to keep them busy while they die.

Yah I consider the freezing cloud rod to be the top thing I'll find lying around somewhere and then immediately shift gears on everything with the character to be able to maximally abuse it.

So now I got repel missiles and summon ugly things, so I'm feeling pretty mean. I think I am going to beef up charms, so eventually (if I can free up enough slots) I can learn silence, hast and deflect missiles too, maybe some other stuff. HOpe i can get some more amnesia scrolls, but I can also just turn off everthing but spellcasting and max it out with my racial +3 aptitude, so it's all good. Does anyone know if learning phase shift is worthwhile? It gives you a +8 evasion bonus while it's active. Or maybe learning that ice armor spell? THere is a manual of ice in a shop somewhere, I might could use that to train up ice magic skill to a tolerable level it it's worth it. Dammit, I need some more defense.

Ice armor is not worth it unless you are all out on ice skill, pretty near useless for an ogre.

Ogres can wear dragon armor if you weren't aware. Dragon armor GDR and a shield (hopefully large, eventually) will get ogre defenses up to the point where you aren't having heart-stopping HP drops every time anything dangerous happens. With the double wizardy bonuses on that character from Vehumet and the ring you should still be able to tolerate the casting penalty, at least for summoning. You might have an elven shield from the halls somewhere, they give less immediate casting penalty while you skill up. Xtahua (the dragon unique) might drop her skin to make the armor, if you can quaff a resistance potion or something to hunt her; she has cold weakness.

Mara is Mara, just have a well-considered plan to run away if shit goes awry.

MisterStone

Arcane
Yeah I knew about dragon armor, but I have had no luck finding dragons, much less hides. Xtahua was the bitch that almost killed me in the Snake pit (dropped me to 1 hp) but I killed her and no dice, so I'm just forced to keep waiting for a dragon hide I guess. Is it inevitable that I will find one int he main dungeon eventually?

Shoals aren't too bad, but fuck me, harpies are annoying. I stashed my food above the entrance to avoid being starved by those cunts, and have to subsist on meat for now I guess.

Zomg

Arbiter
Pretty likely but not inevitable, each dragon has about a 25% chance of producing a hide I believe (50% to leave a corpse and 50% for the corpse to leave a skin). Looking at a 3-runer's morgue file of mine I killed 8 dragons over the course of a normal game, which is like a 10% chance of no skin even including kills in vaults, deep dungeon, and Zot.

You can also rarely get them as armor aquirements as an ogre or just normal loot.

How's this for a fluke death: Playing a Felid Wizard with 2 extra lives, I was killed by a hydra while butchering a corpse. It's supposed to interrupt the butchering when an enemy appears, but this one slipped through for some reason. I still have the extra life, but I'm not sure I want that death on the record, especially for something so cheap.

Oh, and the hero that always gives me the toughest time is Mennas, the silencing angel. I have killed him a few times, though I tend to avoid him if possible. The dragon hero is rather easy, actually. A decent freezing cloud down a long hallway is all you need.

Damned Registrations

I don't doubt that it's possible to minimize your risk to neglible amounts. However, I can't be assed to completely forgo autoexplore, lure every last fucking enemy one by one to the stairs so I'm never surrounded and anally cut off chunks of everything I kill and leave rats around on the first few floors in case I need to run back for food instead of using permafood to heal. Dicking around with stair hopping to avoid uniques and OOD monsters is pretty much my limit.

Zomg

Arbiter
I never did that stuff when I was playing the best either. The most punctiliously lame thing I remember doing at that point was killing every single enemy with runed/glowing short blades or whips using ranged attacks in fear of venom/electrocution brands, up until temple + a couple of DLs beyond.

desocupado

Magister
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.10-a0-1614-gaacbd52 character file.

9751430 Deso the Grand Master (level 27, 201/201 HPs)
Began as an Octopode Transmuter on Oct 31, 2011.
Was the Champion of Makhleb.
Escaped with the Orb
... and 15 runes on Nov 2, 2011!

The game lasted 10:59:36 (174462 turns).

Deso the Grand Master (Octopode Transmuter) Turns: 174462, Time: 10:59:36

HP 201/201 AC 13 Str 14 XL: 27
MP 49/49 EV 31 Int 32 God: Makhleb [******]
Gold 14564 SH 0 Dex 16 Spells: 13 memorised, 7 levels left

Res.Fire : + + + See Invis. : + - Unarmed
Res.Cold : + + + Warding : . . (no shield)
Life Prot.: + + + Conserve : . U - +3 crown of Dyrovepreva {Hunger rElec Int+
Res.Acid. : . . . Res.Corr. : . T - amulet of resist mutation
Res.Poison: + Clarity : . c - ring of Xadghahe {Wiz +Blink MR SInv}
Res.Elec. : + Spirit.Shd : . J - ring of Dishonour {+Rage rElec rC++ rN+ MR
Sust.Abil.: . . Stasis : . r - +4 ring of protection
Res.Mut. : + Ctrl.Telep.: x v - ring "Mivvuihi" {rElec rN+ Dex+3 Acc+6 Dam
Res.Rott. : + Levitation : . n - +5 ring of intelligence
Saprovore : . . . Ctrl.Flight: . M - ring of the Many Lives {+Rage rF++ rN+ Acc
F - ring of regeneration
C - ring of Summer {rF++ rC+ Int-1 Stlth++}

@: lich-form (expires), very slightly contaminated, incredibly resistant to
hostile enchantments, extremely stealthy
A: almost no armour, amphibious, beak, blurry vision 1, -10% hp, camouflage 1,
tentacles 3, AC +1
a: End Transformation, Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of Makhleb, Major
Destruction, Greater Servant of Makhleb, Renounce Religion, Evoke Blink, Evoke
Berserk Rage
}: 15/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, slimy, silver, golden, iron, obsidian,
icy, bone, abyssal, demonic, glowing, magical, fiery, dark

You escaped.
You worshipped Makhleb.
Makhleb was exalted by your worship.
You were full.

You were in lich-form.

You visited 18 branches of the dungeon, and saw 112 of its levels.
You visited Pandemonium 1 time, and saw 24 of its levels.
You visited the Abyss 5 times.
You visited 1 bazaar.
You visited 3 portal chambers: spiders nest, ice_cave, trove.

You collected 20516 gold pieces.
You spent 5972 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Armour
U - the +3 crown of Dyrovepreva (worn) {Hunger rElec Int+2 SInv}
(You found it on level 3 of the Tomb of the Ancients)

It affects your intelligence (+2).
It insulates you from electricity.
It enhances your eyesight.
It speeds your metabolism.
Magical devices
i - a wand of teleportation (1)
l - a wand of frost (11)
H - a wand of heal wounds (1)
L - a wand of fire (8)
Y - a wand of random effects (13)
Comestibles
h - 4 pears
j - 5 chokos
z - an apple
Scrolls
d - a scroll of fear
u - 2 scrolls of teleportation
y - a scroll of identify
D - a scroll of enchant weapon I
E - 2 scrolls of detect curse
K - a scroll of enchant weapon II
Jewellery
b - an uncursed ring of protection from magic
c - the ring of Xadghahe (on tentacle) {Wiz +Blink MR SInv}
(You acquired it on level 27 of the Dungeon)

[ring of wizardry]

It increases your resistance to enchantments.
It enhances your eyesight.
It lets you blink.
f - an uncursed ring of sustenance
n - a +5 ring of intelligence (on tentacle)
r - a +4 ring of protection (on tentacle)
v - the ring "Mivvuihi" (on tentacle) {rElec rN+ Dex+3 Acc+6 Dam+7}
(You found it on level 7 of the Iron City of Dis)

[ring of slaying]
It affects your accuracy (+6).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+7).

It affects your dexterity (+3).
It protects you from negative energy.
B - an uncursed ring of sustenance
C - the ring of Summer (on tentacle) {rF++ rC+ Int-1 Stlth++}
(You bought it in a shop on level 12 of the Dungeon)

[ring of protection from cold]

It affects your intelligence (-1).
It greatly protects you from fire.
It makes you much more stealthy.
F - a ring of regeneration (on tentacle)
J - the ring of Dishonour (on tentacle) {+Rage rElec rC++ rN+ MR}
(You found it on level 8 of the Vaults)

[ring of protection from magic]

It greatly protects you from cold.
It lets you go berserk.
M - the ring of the Many Lives (on tentacle) {+Rage rF++ rN+ Acc+1 Dam+7}
(You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)

[ring of slaying]
It affects your accuracy (+1).
It affects your damage-dealing abilities (+7).

It greatly protects you from fire.
It lets you go berserk.
S - the amulet "Shreong" {Clar rPois}

[amulet of clarity]

It protects you from poison.
T - an amulet of resist mutation (around mantle)
V - the cursed amulet "Danif" {Ward Dex+3}

[amulet of warding]

It affects your dexterity (+3).
It has a curse placed upon it.
W - an uncursed ring of teleportation

Orbs of Power
g - the Orb of Zot

Skills:
O Level 27 Fighting
O Level 27 Dodging
- Level 4 Stealth
- Level 11 Traps & Doors
O Level 27 Unarmed Combat
O Level 27 Spellcasting
- Level 7 Charms
+ Level 16 Summonings
- Level 14 Necromancy
- Level 14 Translocations
- Level 16 Transmutations
O Level 27 Earth Magic
- Level 10 Invocations
- Level 11 Evocations

You had 7 spell levels left.
You knew the following spells:

Your Spells Type Power Success Level Hunger
a - Stoneskin Erth/Trmt #########. Perfect 2 N/A
b - Flight Air/Chrm #######... Excellent 3 N/A
c - Control Teleport Chrm/Tloc ########.. Excellent 4 N/A
d - Mass Abjuration Summ #########. Excellent 7 N/A
e - Summon Ugly Thing Summ #########. Excellent 6 N/A
f - Statue Form Erth/Trmt #########. Excellent 6 N/A
g - Shatter Erth #########. Excellent 9 N/A
h - Necromutation Trmt/Necr #########. Excellent 8 N/A
j - Haunt Summ/Necr #########. Excellent 7 N/A
k - Controlled Blink Tloc N/A Excellent 7 N/A
l - Haste Chrm #######.. Excellent 6 N/A
q - Phase Shift Tloc ########.. Excellent 5 N/A
w - Regeneration Chrm/Necr #########. Excellent 3 N/A

I feel like a boss now.

First 15 rune win, fifth win overall.

Only thing I didn't kill was Cerebov, the bastard can't stop throwing fire storms on my head for 2 seconds. After 3-4 tries, I just got his rune and got the hell away.

Fuckloads of close calls, mostly in the hells, but a few on pan, and one on ascension.

I did usual 3, hells, tomb (didn't find dispel undead in the WHOLE GAME, shattered the fuck out of everything there), slime, abyss, pan.

Relied on Statue form, and Necromutation. Statue form is really good now, with the torment resistance. Put that with RN+++ and the extra hp, torment is a lot less scary. Hellfire takes the place of "Fuck you, Crawl devs" now.

Damned Registrations

Zomg said:
I never did that stuff when I was playing the best either. The most punctiliously lame thing I remember doing at that point was killing every single enemy with runed/glowing short blades or whips using ranged attacks in fear of venom/electrocution brands, up until temple + a couple of DLs beyond.

And how the fuck do you manage that when they show up 3 tiles away through a doorway? You had 3 wands of disintegration? Only ever played fast races? Never encountered a kobold room? Your bow never misses or rolls less than 5 damage?

Seriously, I can scarcely expect to kill ANYTHING at range with less than 3-4 poison needles, and I save those for the 50 ogres I'll encounter that can one shot me before I hit level 77 and get over 9000 hp. If we're talking arrows or sling stones, try 6-10. Darts somewhere between 10 and 3000 depending on how often I get missing streaks where the enemy just regens their whole health pool from my insignificant damage. Trying to kill an imp with ranged weapons is like trying to kill a hydra with Summon Small Mammals.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom