Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Lords Demo

DemonKing

Arcane
Naked_Lunch said:
I officially fucking hate D.W. Bradley now. Go back to making Wizardries, you dumb fuck.

Noooooo!

He screwed up Wizardry big time when he started introducing spaceships and lasers and wookies (sorry...mooks).

bgillisp

Scholar
So this game has the 5 foot visibility problem WW had? Forget it. That is why I gave up on that game. I got tired of never knowing where I was going. Why does Bradley think not being able to see a few feet in front of you is fun anyways?

Saran

Scholar
Maybe he believes it adds tension, maybe hes a big fan of Doom 3, or maybe its becuase there is a large group of rapists waiting just out of sight, ready to pounce the instant you bend over to pick up some loot.

Or maybe its a shitty game, your choice, maybe we could make a "choose your own adventure" book!

Dungeon Lords: Arse to the wall!

Roshy

Novice
well,

I played the demo couple of hours, and I think you guys are being to harsh on this game. you need to remmember that the game company isn't your super budget company like E.A or IPLY :)
it's a small budget company so I forgive the low production values... Its an almost *indie* game.
but I thought that first (and only?) npc in the game looked quite old but yet had a high pitched voice of a 6 years old girl :roll:

obediah

Erudite
Deathboy said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
So, I go to talk to Simon the Messager. He tells me to keep following the road. Well, it's night time and it takes me a while to find the damned road because I can't see very far and the road is basically a path of grass that's just a lighter color than the rest of the grass. I had gamma cranked up to around 75% as well, but I found the road.

If the dude had of told me "to keep following the freeway" I wouldn't have know what the fuck he meant, that is until yesterday.

Even worse, you would have wasted an hour looking for the masturbate key.

bgillisp

Scholar
I still say you could really see in real life a lot farther than he lets you. Ever play WW while it was night in the game? Felt like I was walking in a cave while using a match for light, but I was outdoors!

Maybe the races all had poor vision those days, and need glasses or something. There we go...it is so he can hide the find the glasses quest to the game (find them so you can see farther), and add to the play value. What would be next?

Rune_74

Novice
Do you realize how stupid many of you sound on here?

Yes the game is buggy but I think with a little tweak on teh random encounters and a few other things the game can be decent...

I don't think what you have in your inventory is what you will get in the finished product I noticed I had spells out my ying yang....I think they did this just to let you try it...

anyways a little buggy, but had some fun

bgillisp

Scholar
I don't know about that. Isn't the game due to come out in a couple weeks (anyone know)? And, I recall they held back this demo anyways once before to work on it. So, why is it still in such a state?

Sure, they let you have lots of spells and such, and I agree that is for trial purposes. But, some of the other itmes are probably set in stone or close to it. Now, maybe you did have fun with it...fine. We do not all like the same things. I did not find WW fun at all, and I know others here did. And, as I do not have the bandwidth to get the demo. As such, I can can only go off what I hear for this game. And, what I hear so far does not impress me one bit. But, I was not impressed by this game too much from what I heard from the beginning. I was just hoping I might be wrong on this. Still have a little hope, but maybe I am just too much an optimist.

obediah

Erudite
I can't figure out why anyone would release a demo like this, unless maybe there were requesting bug fixes, and planning on making a second demo. When you have to list game-stopping bugs with a release, that's a good indication you're not ready to release yet. If as apublisher you need to dump a buggy pile of dung, you sure as hell don't give out a demo. Just like horriblle movies won't do press screenings - to ensure that no reviews get out before release day.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
bgillisp said:
So this game has the 5 foot visibility problem WW had? Forget it. That is why I gave up on that game. I got tired of never knowing where I was going. Why does Bradley think not being able to see a few feet in front of you is fun anyways?

I don't know why, but someone needs to take D.W. camping some time. Away from the lights of the city, you can see pretty far at night. The stars and the moon are pretty bright when there's very few ground sources of light around you.

I don't know about that. Isn't the game due to come out in a couple weeks (anyone know)? And, I recall they held back this demo anyways once before to work on it. So, why is it still in such a state?

It's due to be in stores April 20th. Given the demo, I wouldn't be too surprised if it doesn't get pushed back a few months unless the demo build is way, way older than the current build of the full game.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, that's the thing. The demo could very well be the "Combat RPG of 2004" demo that Dreamcatcher wanted to release in November last year but Heuristic pulled it back. The game wasn't even in beta stage at that point, and that would explain the state of the demo. It would be similar to what happened when SFI released the Prince of Qin tech demo.

gromit

Arcane
Well, maybe it's a really great game, maybe it isn't. All I know is that I turned the random encounters to "Low" after reading a few posts here, but still got jumped by two stabby bandits and an archer literally within ten seconds.

For what it's worth, I thought it was pretty cool that all the arrows were sticking out of my player model.

obediah

Erudite
wallace said:
Well, maybe it's a really great game, maybe it isn't. All I know is that I turned the random encounters to "Low" after reading a few posts here, but still got jumped by two stabby bandits and an archer literally within ten seconds.

For what it's worth, I thought it was pretty cool that all the arrows were sticking out of my player model.

Sometimes things like that can make a game. I made it through Onimusha III simply because I never got tired of making Jean Reno hold a fallen foe down on the ground with his foot while unloading a clip into it's head execution style. I did this even in situations where it was a completely stupid thing to do, it was just too much fun. Luckilly it was a short game.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
bgillisp said:
So this game has the 5 foot visibility problem WW had?

I don't think it always has. I have seen footage in "daylight" and you could see pretty damn far. Its just in the dark that things get out of control in terms of restricted view. (I hope)

Exitium said:
The demo could very well be the "Combat RPG of 2004" demo that Dreamcatcher wanted to release in November last year but Heuristic pulled it back

Yeah, this is what I am hoping/thinking. Actually, I have even seen demo dates of 1st September 2004. I'm thinking the final product has just got to be less buggy than this. Also, it has no ambient music and no automap as promised, just like the old demo mentioned in those previews.

Rune_74 said:
Yes the game is buggy but I think with a little tweak on teh random encounters and a few other things the game can be decent...

YEah, this is what I am thinking as well. The problems like view distance at night time, bad combat feedback , crazy monster spawning, are not that major by themselves (in that they are easily fixed, I mean). All together they can really piss you off, but a couple of tweaks could make a semi-decent game.

Rune_74 said:
I don't think what you have in your inventory is what you will get in the finished product I noticed I had spells out my ying yang....I think they did this just to let you try it..

Once I noticed all that stuff, combat suddenly got a shitload easier. Some of the spells are pretty damn cool.
You certainly won't have all that uber-stuff when you start the "real thing". And therefore, hopefully the final game won't be that hectic/difficult right from the beginning.

bgillisp

Scholar
Exitium, let's hope this is the old November demo, else this game is probably going to be pure crap from the sounds of it.

Guess on April 20th we will be able to tell for ourselves....

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, it really makes sense that this would be the November demo. As far as I know, the automap and the ambient music have already been implemented into the beta so it's rather perplexing as to why they wouldn't be in a newly developed demo. In all likelyhood, Tannhauser Gate are in crunch mode right now, working on finishing (and fixing) the final game, and had no time to make a new demo for public consumption.

It sounds like a repeat case of the Prince of Qin demo.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
bgillisp said:
Exitium, let's hope this is the old November demo, else this game is probably going to be pure crap from the sounds of it.

Guess on April 20th we will be able to tell for ourselves....

Hopefully it will be pushed back. But then again, I think its more realistic that it will be pushed out by publishers who are sick of all these delays.
(Just being a cynic :) )

Oh well, I'm still volunteering to be a guinea-pig and buy it when it comes out.
And where is that Digit?

Fez

Erudite
I'm wondering why they delayed the demo before. It was either an even bigger shitheap, or they've just sat on the demo while making no improvements and released it now, to the general disgust of the consumer. What a fuck up.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I seriously doubt this is the november demo. Dreamcatcher can't be that stupid as to release a five month old, buggy as hell demo three weeks before the game is due to ship.

Fez

Erudite
I'd like to know how bad it was before they held it back. If it was any worse than the current one, I want to know how they could have thought even for a moment it was OK to release.

Deathboy

Liturgist
obediah said:
Deathboy said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
So, I go to talk to Simon the Messager. He tells me to keep following the road. Well, it's night time and it takes me a while to find the damned road because I can't see very far and the road is basically a path of grass that's just a lighter color than the rest of the grass. I had gamma cranked up to around 75% as well, but I found the road.

If the dude had of told me "to keep following the freeway" I wouldn't have know what the fuck he meant, that is until yesterday.

Even worse, you would have wasted an hour looking for the masturbate key.

I'm a bit embarassed to admit it but your probably correct :oops:

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I seriously doubt this is the november demo. Dreamcatcher can't be that stupid as to release a five month old, buggy as hell demo three weeks before the game is due to ship.

Are you sure? They were stupid enough to agree to fund a Derek Smart game.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I bet the Derek Smart games make more money than this will.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom