Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Lords Demo

dunduks

Liturgist
Roqua said:
Arcanum had a good story, but thats it. The combat in arcanum was worse than twitch games. The item system was crap also. But it was a good game though. I'd tie it with Wiz and warriors.
Then what do you consider a RPG? To me it looks that RPG for you is item managing and combat? I think Arcanum was very much a rpg, because it had meaningfull choices that affected the world around you, thats as rpg as it can get.

Roqua said:
But you guys win. I really can't get in a debate about rpgs with people that think Diablo 2 is an rpg...or a good game.
It was a good game, but not a rpg.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Diablo 2 was a dungeon crawler, which are derivatives of RPGs as much as Silent Storm, JA2, Avernum and TOEE are. When was that ever in dispute?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sarkile said:
I'm not a big fan of it, but yeah, Guild Wars >>>>> Dungeon Lords.

Thats not saying much, after trying the demo I'd say a poke in the eye and kick in the nuts is >>>>> Dungeon Lords

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
Diablo 2 was a dungeon crawler, which are derivatives of RPGs as much as Silent Storm, JA2, Avernum and TOEE are. When was that ever in dispute?

More specifically, it's a rogue-like. It amazes me that no one pisses and moans when something about nethack is posted, but you bring up Diablo or Diablo 2, and people like Roqua go apeshit.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I never said arcanum wasn't an rpg, it just had crap combat. It was definitly an rpg.

You guys are fucking retards if you don't understand why a strategy game isn't an rpg. Rpg stands for role playing game. A game in which you play a role. If you can't play a role, then you can't very well be playing an rpg. That is what seperates zelda and mario brothers from rpgs.

Only a fucking moron would group ss, ja2, and toee in the same catagorie. You fucking freshman bitches. Being TB doesn't make a game an rpg. Being an rpg makes a game an rpg. You fucking retards. Your slogan should be "Putting a stat into any genre makes it an rpg." Or "Putting a forum about rpgs into the hands of fucking idiots makes every game an rpg." Or "Putting a voice to the thoughts of fucking stupid freshman bitches." Mario got a muchroom power-up, this is an rpg. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."

Go sip your cappachinos and sour apple martini's you fucking fags. Gilttes mach 3 razors makes your ass shiny and smooth and stubble free for days you cock sucking fairies. Playing patty cake with your sisters an an rpg because the more you practice the more experience you get and your speed attribute increases. Man-up you freshman bitches.

Deathboy

Liturgist
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I see you and Shagnak are still here.

Oh well the thought was nice while it lasted...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Roqua said:
You guys are fucking retards if you don't understand why a strategy game isn't an rpg. Rpg stands for role playing game. A game in which you play a role. If you can't play a role, then you can't very well be playing an rpg.

What separates ToEE from JA2 again? The only role you play in both games are combat roles. Why? Because they're dungeon romps. Now, you can argue that you can play different CLASS roles in ToEE, like thief or fighter or cleric. Then again, you can just hone that Mechanical skill in Jagged Alliance 2 if you want to be a thief, or hone Marksmanship if you want to play a fighter.

So, in conclusion, you're still a useless, hypocritical douche.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Elwro said:
You enter the turn-based mode, so everyone should stop, right? Nope. The first rogue stops, but the other still advances towards you. The faster you do your turns, the longer you'll be fighting only one rogue. Weird.
Couldn't you turn the "speed" down though (much lke in Wizardry 8) so that it became "true" turn/phase based? Thats what I did, I thought the whole "semi-turn-based" thing was crapola too.

It also has a nasty bug that at first prevented me from exiting the town the "easy" route and entering some buildings. I had to go in the opposite direction and, of course, got smashed by the enemies.
Did you play it in Windows XP? There was an incompatibility that required reprocessing of the town avi's so that the area-masks fit them properly again. Using Virtual Dub, save them as "old format avi". Then the exits all work properly. The problem should not occur in Windows98/Me.
Can't remember where I originally saw this, but the process is described here: http://www.gamewinners.com/DOSWIN/blwiz ... rriors.htm

Edit: I originally saw it at the IronWorks website. Was a good W&W whoring site back in the day. I think I've linked to this before, but anyway:
http://www.ironworksforum.com/ubb/cgi-b ... 4;t=007547

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Okay, I know I'm not just flogging a dead horse here, I'm flogging a dead horse that died a month ago and no-one cares about anymore despite the rancid stink and accumulating blow-flies; but anyway...

Seems some people have managed to get into areas of the demo that should not be accessible. Sounds like some of them are quite large, and include a swamp, big lake, a hut with a "barmaid", and so on...and some new creatures too.

Go here if you give a fuck:
http://support.typhoongames.com/board/f ... =1282&PN=1

Some thumbs are available here too:
http://www.geocities.com/northern_games/thumbs.html

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
@Shagnak:
1. I think that I checked thoroughly and the game just couldn't be more turn-based than it was when I played it. In the middle of the fight (after everyone got near), when my turn came, I could e.g. leave the game for half an hour and no-one would move. The only strange things were happening right after the combat had started.
2. Thanks very much for you help, that was exactly the problem and I also found the solution on the Ironworks site. :D If I hadn't done that I wouldn't have even been able to enter the first dungeon.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Elwro said:
@Shagnak:
1. I think that I checked thoroughly and the game just couldn't be more turn-based than it was when I played it.
Fair enuff, Elwro, possibly my "rose-tinted glasses" again.
Oh well, I guess it was better than fully real-time, I found that unplayable.

Looking at the IronWorks faq, it was a buggy-as-fuck game.
(though I must confess the only massive issue I had was the XP/town exits bug you described, and a bug later on in the game when you get stuck in an underwater tunnel after combat with the slime occupying it)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom