Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Parabalus

Arcane
Other than the robot fights, going through the thread people also mention tactics like this, but in my experience all the bomb wielding enemies were perfectly happy to bomb their own people if it meant also damaging my guys. So none of the strategies of standing near enemies to avoid getting bombed worked (only available tactic seemed to be to nuke them on first turn, or get them to bug out and throw a bomb into a wall). Was this AI behavior also changed at some point.

AI behaviour and stats definitely changed a lot with patches.

Generally all the patches increased difficulty, if you try the release version you will breeze through solo.

Not sure whether this bomb stuff for the Reinhardt fight would still work, I remember it being a bit finicky.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The robot baiting exploit was definitely fixed at some point because I remember being happy that I finished the game before it happened.

Technomancer

Liturgist
I did find an actual bug. The robot crossbowman was able to shoot Roxana through the corner of the wall even with the door closed.
That one went to Colony Ship as well :)

all the bomb wielding enemies were perfectly happy to bomb their own people if it meant also damaging my guys
Hated that crap. They even bomb themselves and suicide if it means damaging you. Retarded murder boner AI always takes me out of the game.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, robots were quick to kill my solo spearman IM. That pushback passive doesn't work for them all that well cause I simply miss it too often.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
20220407200005_1.jpg

My character entered the fight with 1hp which meant I had to get through it without taking a single hit of damage. I gave Silas, who I had never used up to this point, the iron imperial armor and a tower shield and had him stand a few squares in front of the door. He was able to tank all three robos for the first turn before dying. This left the two melee robots in position to get splashed with acid, then spammed with more acid, then bombed with the special grenade. They may have needed one more fire potion to finish them off I dont remember. I then closed the door to bait the crossbow robo in. Used quicksilver potion on my main and Marcus, had Roxy throw more acid, ran my main behind the robo and used knockdown, missed first try then hit with next I think (was using Gorza). Then had Marcus take a berserk potion and bash its head in then finish it off with a bomb.

Easy :cool:. I mean really vince I thought this game was supposed to be hard? Maybe add one or two more crossbow robots into the room in the next patch so the person who plays this game next can have a little bit of a challenge.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
What about sword build? I ran one, with that 2hander withadditional counterattack everything was easy - untill it wasn't, IM too.

Parabalus

Arcane
What about sword build? I ran one, with that 2hander withadditional counterattack everything was easy - untill it wasn't, IM too.

I tried a craftingless sword/block build a while ago, was extremely easy until the constructs. Lack of damage against them hurt, even with the meteor sword you get.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
at last i've done it. i've won. took me 61 hours overall of various aborted attempts since buying the game on release.

20220409142437_1.jpg

The mecha fights were definitely the biggest hurdle of the game. Everything after them was relatively easy. Probably in part because I started using all the resources I had hoarded up until that point. I was sadly unable to get Hieron to level 10 crafting, so I couldn't craft any meteor gear. Was able to make a decent amount of blue steel gear though. Got Ismail to alchemy 8, and the high level bombs got me through the final waves of imperial soldiers.

Edit:
My characters going into the final battle. Think I managed to level up my mains and Marcus hammer skill during the battle. Hieron died during the fight, followed by Ardomir, so I finished with Ismail who was surprisingly effective with the meteor gladius despite his low combat skills. Loved the The Wild Bunch style final battle.

20220409202124_1.jpg

Overall great little game. I always talk about how more RPG needs to take into account stuff like attrition so that every encounter isn't an isolated incident, and this game certainly got that right. Not only did I have to think about how to get through a given fight, which could be hard enough as it is, but how to do it in such a way that I would be ready for the next dozen fights. Fit the setting nicely as well, as it felt like a desperate crawl towards the top.

What little exploration and story there was I liked. Little details like finding a mysterious item in the first area that you only learn how to use in the penultimate area (the green jar from the scorpion hole). The story reveals at the end seemed like they could lead into a sequel to AoD. In an ideal world I would love to see another game on the scale of Dungeon Rats where you are part of an imperial legion party sent to investigate the mountain to search for whatever it is that is causing the disturbances/the magus, this time descending into some other deeper part of the mountain rather than ascending.

Last edited:

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I loaded up a save before the Emperor and did the fight again just to check but no, it's playing the track that is labeled "top combat" which also plays during all the robot fights.

this track

can hear it in this video too

Was it not used? Well, shoot. Perhaps I shouldn't have composed it!
I'll make sure to listen to the track during the emperor fight when i replay the game. The music that plays during the final battle was awesome too. I like that it wasn't really bombastic but more solemn, with those sad flutes (I think it was flutes), had a nice suicidal last stand feeling to it.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I replayed some of the other big fights in the game like Yngvar and Democritus, but nope. Doesn't play during the skymetal robo fight either. Maybe the track does play in some other fight but it would be a bit weird given how its such a unique track.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Something fishi is out there...

What's your tips on stat spread for sword-dodger?

Like, 6 con is absolutely retarded and savescam-prone way to play, as ants super hurtful with 6 Con.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I have a problem with Dermocritus.
I think it's my bad resource management.
What to do - sword, 6 alchemy, lotsa bombs, liquid fire, nets, neurostims.
Tried to spend only 1 fire and nets - no luck.
Maybe make mushroom brew?
I mean I can of course drown him in bombs - fool's work - but what is a optimal strategy?

It's a really difficult fight like no other before.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I mean I can of course drown him in bombs - fool's work - but what is a optimal strategy?

Retreat to the hallway back to where you had the previous fight, using liquid fire to delay their turns. Then you can create a choke point there with the help of the boxes. When it's Democritus' turn, crit him in the head since he doesn't have a helmet or he'll kill you quickly.

FriendlyMerchant

Retreat to the hallway back to where you had the previous fight, using liquid fire to delay their turns. Then you can create a choke point there with the help of the boxes. When it's Democritus' turn, crit him in the head since he doesn't have a helmet or he'll kill you quickly.
A bolas to his neck helps too

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Problem was also with knife fighter, who could deal significant damage before Demo. I soften him up with bomb, and probably 1 net, spent 5 nets in general during this fight. When in nets, Demo doesn't use his nerostim.
But next fight is bad too - before Scaurus. Like, dude with axe hit me often, and then 2 with swords, and bowman...
I use scimitar and khopesh - maybe shamshir will be better?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom