Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
How the flip are you supposed to do the fights against the poison plants as a solo melee character? they seem to have insanely high to hit chance, multiple attacks in one turn, and high damage

edit; ok so i figured out i can attack them a few times then step back out of their melee range

edit 2; How the FUCK do you fight the worm as a solo melee character? I have 9 block already and it still hits me like 90% of the time.

edit 3; nvm, easy, first try

Last edited:

Beggar

Cipher
And I have no clue how to win this fight on solo. Best attempt was to be able to whack 3 enemies. Still 4 left. I land two hits and then must hope for everyone to miss as I die from two successful hits. Bombs would be helpful here but I have none

20220417233550-1.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The trick is to hide behind the winch. You start by knocking down the dagger baldie and taking his place so that no more than 2 assholes can attack you at a time.

I hope you have a one-handed hammer and shield because I remember being unable to win here with a two-hander but a one-hander made it a walk in the park.

One-handed knockdowns and kiting are generally your best friend in AoD hammertime when things get rough.

Beggar

Cipher
Beat them on my first try after whining here

Managed to hit 4 of them for poison damage then retreated back to the bridge and isolated them by two each time with liquid fire + soften them up with acid. This is insane or maybe it's genius

20220418000607-1.jpg

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
And next he will find out scolopendras, and like, Demo, and like, Scaurus....

Was forced to use an acid vial and two bombs against the black scolopendra. There was absolutely nothing I could do. I have 9 block and 8 dagger and still I only have around 20% chance to hit while meanwhile enemy can hit me 90% of time. I guess I could have reloaded save 10,000 more times and hope for perfect roles on arterial strike.

I tried to look up some strategies and found this, where the player uses shield bash to knock the scolopendra down. However, when I try this it seems to be impossible. If you look in the video it says he has 15% chance to crit with the shield bash, which is what causes the knockdown, however my shield bash says 0% chance to crit. I assume vince changed this at some point.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I tried to look up some strategies and found this, where the player uses shield bash to knock the scolopendra down. However, when I try this it seems to be impossible. If you look in the video it says he has 15% chance to crit with the shield bash, which is what causes the knockdown, however my shield bash says 0% chance to crit. I assume vince changed this at some point.

The chance to crit for Shield Bash depends on STR + Shield skill level (and perhaps CON too? I can't remember). If you make a brute, you can easily knock down foes. It's easier to do it with the 'knockdown' move with 1-handed hammers nonetheless (a neat trick is this: you knock them down using this method, then you can use a hand crossbow to hurt them and not waste AP in moving. Since they're knocked down, you'll have high THC even if you haven't put any points on crossbow. Can do it as well with Throwing if you prefer so).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
My (not actually my tee-hee) strat was to eliminate bomberman first with bombs, then Enforcer.
But this was strat for team probably, solo you should either go for bomber-->dagger-->Enforcer-->rest or with reloads find out right turn order and eliminate dagger first, as he could do a LOT of shit.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I can say that I won't play big games from now - it's simply mind crippling for me now.
But such small games with small chunks of gameplay, framed by figths - it's OK.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just how high is Democritus' hit chance? The guy has not missed a single attack against me. As in literally I have not managed to dodge a single one of his attacks despite having 10 in dodge with around 108 to 124 dodge rating depending on armor in the 20 or so times I have retried the fight.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Just how high is Democritus' hit chance? The guy has not missed a single attack against me. As in literally I have not managed to dodge a single one of his attacks despite having 10 in dodge with around 108 to 124 dodge rating depending on armor in the 20 or so times I have retried the fight.
You should never rely on dodge vs elite opponents. I could only win that fight with poison kiting on my dodge build.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Every 'boss' after Yngvar will hit you no matter what. The strat is to prevent them to hit you in the first place or minimize damage as much as you can.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I could only win that fight with poison kiting on my dodge build.

With throwing? Otherwise you can't kite there, they will swarm you.
I got this tacton - if you put Demo in net, he will do almost nothing to you, more than that - he won't use his neurostim.
So, keep with you ~5 nets, and use them on him.

Technomancer

Liturgist
With throwing? Otherwise you can't kite there, they will swarm you.
Nah, I wisely invested in spears. Could stab gits and run away while my 10 alchemy poison did the work. If I was lucky I even interrupted them when they got close chasing me.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I could only win that fight with poison kiting on my dodge build.

I got this tacton - if you put Demo in net, he will do almost nothing to you, more than that - he won't use his neurostim.
So, keep with you ~5 nets, and use them on him.
Yeah I did this. Think I only needed to use two nets because I managed to get him to bleed while poisoned. I used an additional tactic as well to prevent from being netted by the ninja and spear guy without having to use fire potion but I don't want to post it here because I don't want vince to patch it out.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Well I eventually made it up to the Emperor and am currently fighting him. Since I am being liberal with my alchemy resources the fight doesn't seem impossible but it will take more than a few reloads before I get it right I think.

Ran into a funny bug when I went back to retrieve the green canister from the scorpion pit. The larger scorpion mounted the smaller scorpion, occupying the same square.

20220430183544_1.jpg

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's done! Even with optimal positioning the Emperor still took quite a few reloads for me to get lucky with dodge rolls against all the throwing weapons in that fight. I hadn't gotten to 8 crafting yet so I wasn't able to use the regeneration potion (because the locker requires 8 crafting to unlock) which would have helped.

The fight against the two blue steel centurions was pretty tough; hit them with the 10 alchemy super poison and kept hitting their arms then I ran around dodging them.

After that fight I was able to get 8 crafting and make the regeneration potion thankfully. Final gauntlet was not that hard due to me expending all my bombs and fire potions on it, in fact I made it harder than it needed to be by playing it really conservatively, ended up with around 4 neurostimulants and 6 strong fire potions at the end.

solo psycho.png

20220501122719_1.jpg
20220501180842_1.jpg
20220501181242_1.jpg

Last edited:

Serus

Arcane
Patron
One thing i'm sure about the whole solo thing. It is a tactical game. With one person you objectively have less options. What's the point not playing it with more that one character other than for a change of pace / difficulty increase after you already played at least once it with 3-4 dudes? Usually that's how people play such games, solo is only something you might do (or not) on 2nd or 3rd playthrough.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
One thing i'm sure about the whole solo thing. It is a tactical game. With one person you objectively have less options. What's the point not playing it with more that one character other than for a change of pace / difficulty increase after you already played at least once it with 3-4 dudes? Usually that's how people play such games, solo is only something you might do (or not) on 2nd or 3rd playthrough.
that is exactly what i did. as for less tactics and stuff, in some cases having one character did feel very limited and boring, with some encounters being nothing more than praying i get good dodge rolls, but on the other hand there were times i had to think up strategies i never would have come up with when playing with a party: leading scolopendra a long ways back to a previous chokepoint, using fire potions to trap certain enemies so i could make sure to kill them in one turn, stepping in to hit the plants then stepping back (i actually found another strategy in that fight where i could put my character in between two plants to get the plants to shoot each other but my dodge wasnt high enough to dodge them consistently so it wasnt that effective), poisoning enemies then retreating, etc. i definitely had to think way more about how to manipulate enemy movement when playing solo which was something i didn't think all that much about when playing with a party.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
My concern is crossbowman solo - I have no idea how to survive the beginning.

Like, I mean IM with SUCCESSFUL tacton, not reload button masturbation.

Üstad

Arcane
I'm gonna start playing again any gameplay and mod suggestions? Is 2 men party with spears viable, I'm thinking one with shield one with long 2-handed one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom