Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Fair Codexia Dead - DDO NEWs Thread!

Reinhardt

Arcane
Leveled codexia again. Still shithole.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So, I tried this thing out and rolled a sorcerer. Using a magic wand and that cold ray spell is fun and takes out enemies from a safe distance. Detecting secret doors is a total pain with this class tho, so as soon as I was able to I exhanged my acid spray with detect secret door spell. Had to go with a human, cause all but 4 races are locked behind a pay wall. Some of the cooler spell trees are also locked, so i figure I should go with the water tree. How many trees can you put your points into without streching yourself too thin? Also, what's with the economy inflation in this game? What is even the point of silver and copper coins when you're rolling in gold and platinum after an hour of gameplay?

As a caster, your bread and butter will be Spell Like Abilities or SLA's from your enhancement trees. The benefit of SLA's is you can use metamagic feats like Maximize and Empower spell on them to increase their power without increasing the spell point cost. This is a huge power boost early on. You can right click on your regular spells in your hotbar and turn metamagic off for them, so you can keep them turned on for your SLA's.

Traps won't be a problem on normal difficulty, which you will be playing on your first life.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Something happened? Big sale or something? Saw some people gathering party for elite Butcher's Path in general chat. Another one asked how to repair equip.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Something happened? Big sale or something? Saw some people gathering party for elite Butcher's Path in general chat. Another one asked how to repair equip.

The crystal cove event is on now. Sounds like some new people checking out the game. Maybe they saw a video or someone streaming DDO and decided to try it out.

That's how I got into it near the end of 2019. Saw someone streaming it, felt some nostalgia due to Neverwinter Nights 3rd edition and decided to check it out.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
DDO is cool, but honestly I din't liked much the epic level content for DDO. Anyway, starting again as a pale master once this maintance ends.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I like DDO but IMO it has two great problems.

1 - Cooldowns
2 - Number bloat. At lv 11, I just hit 900 damage with necrotic ray

DcWqwbf.png

And dealing over 400 damage is not uncommon with a spell that costs just 10 "mana". Meaning that I can cast 88 times that amazing spell per rest.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I like DDO but IMO it has two great problems.

1 - Cooldowns

DcWqwbf.png

And dealing over 400 damage is not uncommon with a spell that costs just 10 "mana". Meaning that I can cast 88 times that amazing spell per rest.
And coolddowns is a great problem because you can't do it 88 times IN A ROW?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
And coolddowns is a great problem because you can't do it 88 times IN A ROW?

No, because DDO should have stick to the vancian magic system. Necrotic Ray can be blocked by deathward, which contrary to P&P, gives immunity to negative energy and shamans in particular cast this spell on themselves and allies, forcing me to use dispel magic or other spells. Anyway, in most video games I prefer high level, but DDO is one exception. I prefer mid levels. The game has too much "bloat" on epic levels. And the best adventures are mid levels.
  • Against the slave lords(lv 8)
  • White Plume Mountain(6/9)
  • Temple of Elemental Evil (7)
  • Red Fens(9)
  • Demon Sands(10~12)
  • Mists of Ravenloft(10~12)
  • Attack on Stormreach(13)
  • Ruins of Gianthold(13)
The unique high level adventure which I liked a lot is the hordes of the underdark Menace of the Underdark and "epic" adaptations of mid level adventures.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
like DDO but IMO it has two great problems.

1 - Cooldowns
In DDO's defence, back when the game started in 2007 it looks like they stuck closer to the PNP numbers. You can see this in old named loot that drops from older quests. However, 14 years of power creep have led to the large numbers we see now.

Though honestly these numbers seem small to me. I guess that's cause of Diablo 3 which had you doing trillions of damage per second at higher levels. That's not hyperbole either, Diablo 3 was nuts with number bloat.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Is this game big on party/grouping shit or is there some way to bypass that if no one is around or is solo friendly?

I liked what little I tried of it but never followed up on it. I did get all that free stuff they offered last year.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I never was in party. There are few quests you need other people, but 90+% are completely soloable.

Generic-Giant-Spider

So if I wanted to go do Temple of Elemental Evil I can just waltz in there and not get fisted?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom