Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress goes next-gen: Payable Content

MetalCraze

Arcane
commie said:
I love how when it's this arsehole doing it, it's such a great thing, but if Bethesda or Bioware do it, it's the WORK OF DA DEVIL!!!!!

I've heard this somewhere.

Fucking DF players: "Oooh an apostrophe! Man, that's a pretty cool looking monster! Whew...that was close! On no, here comes a question mark!"

But man adding an ASCII symbol surely requires a lot of work! What's next? You will ask for the mouse support so you will play a game not bash the keyboard through the excel table? Fucking casual consoletard.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
This is cheesy and stupid, but really pretty harmless. This is not some alien ship or uber armor, it's only order in what animals will be added to game. :shrugs:

Also fuck DF haters and mouse lovers. :M

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Fowyr said:
This is cheesy and stupid, but really pretty harmless. This is not some alien ship or uber armor, it's only order in what animals will be added to game. :shrugs:

Also fuck DF haters and mouse lovers. :M

Actually its even more useless than uber armor or new locations. But I am not opposed to donations-for-something schemes, just want truth: its dlc and as bad as any other dlc (or dlc alike). Dont protect this scheme just because its an indie game.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Dunno, it's more like sorting of "to add" list. I think what non elected animals will be simply added later.
Still, I say it again, it's cheesy and stupid.

MetalCraze

Arcane
If it's a developer I like - "it's like sorting of "to add" list"
If it's a developer I hate - fucking evil DLC, they must burn for it!

OMG Bethesda did horse armor for $2 I will cry about this for a year and better go buy that apostrophe for my DF for $10!

Tycn

Savant
It's "DLC" that is available to all players regardless of whether they have paid or not, with donations purchases only influencing which features get implemented first. I can totally see the resemblance to Horse Armor.
Alex said:
I don't see anything wrong with this, as new animals seems like a very minor aspect of the game. I really wouldn't like to see this escalate, though. I could see the project being led astray if Toady, for example, decided to put for auction which features he would work next. Still, he seems like a smart guy and I don't think there really is a risk of this happening.
I can't imagine consoletards donating in droves in support of porting to Unreal 3 and installing a cover system. I'm not too worried about the community influencing the design process because DF seems to be a pretty effective idiot filter. Case in point: the post above mine.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
MetalCraze said:
If it's a developer I like - "it's like sorting of "to add" list"
If it's a developer I hate - fucking evil DLC, they must burn for it!

OMG Bethesda did horse armor for $2 I will cry about this for a year and better go buy that apostrophe for my DF for $10!
Don't let your "logic" be disturbed by the fact that DF is a freeware game (also supposedly very original) and Beth ones cost a lot of money (and are shitty). Also those "donations" for DF are not DLC as there isn't any additional content to download. You don't have to buy that aposthrophe - it still will be in the game for everyone.
No. facts are so inconvenient.

Having said the above i must agree that the idea sounds stupid and if the whole thing escalates then, perhaps, there will be true DLCs for DF in the future. And Skyway will have a real and good reason to bitch.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Black Cat said:
commie said:
Fucking DF players: "Oooh an apostrophe! Man, that's a pretty cool looking monster! Whew...that was close! On no, here comes a question mark!"

WT0jH.png

:?

wow that looks amazing, what is it ?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Malakal said:
poocolator said:
commie said:
Calm thyself.
Whence does your hatred hail?

Probably the lack of interface. It does that to people trying to play the damn game.

TBH I tried to give this a go, I really did. It seems great in theory, just that I don't have the time or the inclination anymore to try and decipher the meaning of all the ascii symbols and figure out the interface. I guess I'm butthurt because I realise I'm getting old and popamole...

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Try using tileset and play 2D version. It's really better experience for the first time, because you will have all types of resources and demon pits.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Malakal said:
its dlc and as bad as any other dlc (or dlc alike).
How the fuck is this DLC?

Wikipedia said:
Downloadable content (also referred to as DLC) is a form of digital media distributed through the Internet. The phrase is used to refer specifically to content created for video games that is released separately from the main video game release.
Separately. As in, each individual has to pay to get the content.

It would take some special kind of moron to confuse a DONATION DRIVE with DLC.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
commie said:
You can't see that those apostrophes and question marks are only symbolic representations of data structures? You know, there are text in the game that describes in great detail what the thing is. How do you read books without pictures? They too have only descriptions of objects.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fowyr said:
Try using tileset and play 2D version. It's really better experience for the first time, because you will have all types of resources and demon pits.

Thanks, maybe I'll do just that.

non said:
You can't see that those apostrophes and question marks are only symbolic representations of data structures? You know, there are text in the game that describes in great detail what the thing is. How do you read books without pictures? They too have only descriptions of objects.

WTF? Of course I know they stand for something else!

Also, you are NOT Xor.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
non said:
Malakal said:

Wikipedia said:
Downloadable content (also referred to as DLC) is a form of digital media distributed through the Internet. The phrase is used to refer specifically to content created for video games that is released separately from the main video game release.

This is why I wrote 'dlc alike' in brackets. Its kind of like DLC, you cant argue it isnt.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
commie said:
WTF? Of course I know they stand for something else!
And yet you write this:
commie said:
"Oooh an apostrophe! Man, that's a pretty cool looking monster!

Ok I get it, you think the ascii looks ugly. But you imply that someone would get excited over the monster based on the aesthetics of the apostrophe character, and we both know that is not how it works.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Malakal said:
non said:
Malakal said:

Wikipedia said:

This is why I wrote 'dlc alike' in brackets. Its kind of like DLC, you cant argue it isnt.
Electric chair is kind of like chair, you can't argue it isn't. Am i right ?

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Malakal said:
Actually its even more useless than uber armor or new locations.

These are the words of someone that doesn't understand what DF is about. You're either trolling or have never played Dwarf Fortress (besides downloading it and rage-quitting).

But I am not opposed to donations-for-something schemes, just want truth: its dlc and as bad as any other dlc (or dlc alike). Dont protect this scheme just because its an indie game.
Are you actually that dense? It's FREE.

Oh ya thnx.. well one day, if the game will be playable in that "interface", i might give it another try.

You can already do this, kind of. Stone Sense runs simultaneously with Dwarf Fortress and updates in real time. It's just like another DF window. But it doesn't do anything to update the interface or add mouse support.

I like running Stone Sense sometimes, it's cool to see your fortress develop with presentable graphics.
Once DF is ready he can sell it like URW for the $$$.
I'd be surprised if the game is ever 'ready', and if it ever gets to that point it'll be years and years from now.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Mike Mayday's prepackaged graphical edition is more than satisfying enough on the graphics end. You would really have to have the most piss poor imagination in the world to not be able to tell what is going on in this picture:
DFG13.png

And that's from an older version, it looks much better now.

http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php

On topic, I see this as an issue because of development priorities. The game doesn't need more animals right now, it needs better mechanics. Work on content AFTER the framework for the game is completed and you'll save time and effort.

Oh, and I know I was bitching in the other thread but the new version of adventure mode is actually pretty fun. But, it still feels about as complete as Mount & Blade with a bunch of holes all over the place. Also needs to be a way to aim ranged attacks!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
While I agree the dev priorities are fucked up, I'm not convinced that has anything to do with the donation drive. I mean, the whole medical shebang is mostly unnecessary convoluted fluff, but he worked his ass off to put all that in while basic gameplay elements like [The thrown xXspinning vomitXx decapitates the Bronze Collossus!] was still floating around. I think he honestly just works on whatever whim strikes him. But he does get shit done, even if it is completely random shit, and it's free so I can't complain about slow progress.

As for tilesets, I use one for DF myself,Ironhand's. That + Civilization Forge mod = awesomeness. But DF has really bad ASCII and really good tilesets. It's also well suited to tilesets because there's a very limited number of animals and little need to distinguish them. It doesn't matter if I can't tell the difference between a food or wine barrel when I made the food/wine stockpiles myself, and one Mason is as good as another generally. Something like ToME 2.3 would be impossible to tile for however; they don't even have enough fucking ASCII characters to distinuish everything, and they even 'animate' some of them to have multi-hued dragons for example, or to distinguish shallow water from water you can drown in. How could you possibly make a tileset that shows hatchling, young, young adult, and drakes all differently, for each of 10 varieties of dragon? It'd be a nightmare even with 128x128 tiles. With something like whats in the OP, it'll be a clusterfuck unless you only have, for example, about 5 distinct humanoid enemies tops with 2-3 pallette swaps each.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
Fowyr said:
The first time I played the game I used a tileset. I thought, "to hell with this ascii shite."
Eventually, after I got lazy with setting up a tileset for every new release, I just started playing with ascii.

It really doesn't take long to figure out what the shit means. You just gotta persevere. And don't be shy of the 'k' button to investigate tiles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom