Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

Mortmal

Arcane
The writers are also as usual the weakest link in the chain with the script being atrocious.

Makes me really wonder if they were so desperate to get rid of Avellone's stuff, that they had an intern re-write everything.
Quite possible, one faction is completely insufferable,unlikable, the other is ok but full of inconsistencies, like the friendly peacekeeper commander guy just casually burned an old woman eyes just like that...Also had to use dev console to solve a game breaking bug .Tbh i dont get why people were so outraged by cp 2077 but this one get a free pass. It's ok fun, but stuff seen an hundred of time , nothing new, not especially impressive graphically either.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Tbh i dont get why people were so outraged by cp 2077 but this one get a free pass.

Lower expectations. A lot of people expected this game to be bad. Open world zombie basher games are not going to blow anyone's minds with narrative or innovative gameplay.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
I love when the writers think they're clever by lying to the audience - reasonable people are actually totalitarian sociopaths, and sociopaths turn out to be the good guys (despite being more brain dead than the zombies). You couldn't predict that due to the writers complete inability to convey nuance? Well, that's choice and consequence the hardcore way, bitch!

People laugh at 2077's teleporting police, but Techland wiped their mouths with Avellone's name for years, and this is what they deliver?

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
I love when the writers think they're clever by lying to the audience - reasonable people are actually totalitarian sociopaths, and sociopaths turn out to be the good guys (despite being more brain dead than the zombies). You couldn't predict that due to the writers complete inability to convey nuance? Well, that's choice and consequence the hardcore way, bitch!

People laugh at 2077's teleporting police, but Techland wiped their mouths with Avellone's name for years, and this is what they deliver?
Yes because having Avellone on the team improved the writing in pathfinder wrath of the tranny right? :hahano::hahano::hahano:

notpl

Arbiter
Shit's took a hit yo lol, RTX more like RTS

man, this game got hit hard by the downgrade stick
snapshot.jpg

Thank god. Imagine having to press the skip dialogue button 3x as much.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
My point is that Techland made a big deal about the narrative layer of the game, only to shit the bed so badly you'd have to burn the building to get the smell out.

And didn't Avellone get dropped from the latest Pathfinder too?

Machocruz

Arcane
Since it sold well enough to warrant a sequel and you told me it was looking decent I gave DL1 a go. It is a very good looking game, that comparison video that made the point that the sequel lacked punch was right. The first couple of hours were great, zombies were hard to take down and it is a struggle when they start swarming you. Night time is a proper horror show and getting chased is very intense.

After getting to a high enough level though I lost all interest and uninstalled it. It's much better than Dead Island but the gameplay and story suffers from the same plagues that have been with the genre since the 8th gen started. For whatever reason the digital artists are incredibly talented when it comes to game development but nobody else can keep up with them. The gameplay, since it has to be carried for hundreds of hours, puts you on this MMO treadmill that I don't care for one bit. With color coded itemization, scaling enemies, collect-a-ton busywork. All the work that was put into the visuals were wasted since at the end of the day you're playing a first person Ubisoft-Diablo game with parkour. The writers are also as usual the weakest link in the chain with the script being atrocious. The shallow gameplay works in tandem with the plot to make you want to tear your hair out. Because they have these fancy animations and voice acting to give you a mission to collect five zombie asses or crayons, it's not a text box you can easily ignore like in MMOs.

After the scaling put those special zombies all over the place it just wasn't worth playing anymore. If the game was an old-school FPS they could have tuned it and made it something special. All video game writers need to be buried alive in a giant landfill somewhere while the game designers should have needles inserted under their nails until they are cured of the Diablo and Ubisoft influences. The coding and art departments can't carry the rest no matter how talented they are. In the case of Dying Light (and the sequel) it doesn't even look as good as an offering from Ubisoft from 2014 anyway. 500 hour long games that are worth playing for 5 hours max.

Fair criticisms. The setting/visuals, immersion, parkour, move set, and gore made the game fun for me. The combat was way beyond Ubisoft, imo. Some of the missions were cool. But the game did run out of steam at a certain point, even for me. I had to make an effort to see it to the end. This is the case with most action games, they don't have the mechanical substance or variety to keep things interesting for how long they are making them now. I thought RE4 went on way too long for what it was, as did Bayonetta. Vanquish was just about perfect at around 7 hours. FEAR is another. Half-Life 1 is one of the few that I feel keeps chugging along after 10 hours, but I know a lot of people think that game has parts that could use a trim. In fact, most of the classic actioners don't go past that. Last night I started a New Game + on DL, but shortly lost interest in going through the whole thing over again, as I remembered the not so great missions. And yeah, the virals got ridiculous in the numbers they would spawn after firing a shot or causing an explosion.

Still a thumbs up from me, but again fair critique.

JDR13

Arcane
Dying Light is not hundreds of hours long. Sorry, but that's just blatantly false.

It might be possible to sink that much time if someone actually wants to grind for whatever reason, but grinding isn't necessary in the least.

Machocruz

Arcane
99 hours for me, but that's with a lot of dicking around, all side quests, a number of bounties, holiday events, etc. I don't see much more than 150 being necessary for everything, if that. I don't think he was being literal though.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
Quests are also pretty reactive example from today. One of the main missions requires you to fix an electrical substation but I did it before quest giver even asked me to do it so quest giver acknowledges that in dialouge and I could skip this step in the quest. Same thing happened in a side quest earlier it sent me to specific abandoned store but I already visited it so the main character said it and I could skip this step of the quest.

toroid

Arcane
Welp, this franchise has certainly jumped the shark. Dying Light 1 was outstanding in the sense that it was a AAA game that didn't take the disappointing and predictable AAA approach. Quality of gameplay obviously took priority over all the other aspects of the game; movement/combat and atmosphere/exploration were extremely well done. The storytelling knew how to do its job and then kindly get out of the player's way.. and the writing and voice acting were professionally executed and weren't distracting the player by being retarded. Most dialogue was brief and to the point. The only negatives that stood out to me were the handful of QTE actions, and the weapon degradation adding some tedium. Dying Light 1 is the seventh most played in my Steam library, with 211 hours. On the other hand, Dying Light 2 looks like it was made by a team of amateurs and a different developer altogether. Floaty, flaccid movement and combat. Uninspired uninteresting atmosphere. Retarded writing. It's distractingly common for the parkour and the environment design to convey that feeling that they're totally contrived and they only exist to be used for one another instead of feeling natural and alive on their own. Speaking of contrived, the immunity timer is obviously a low effort replacement for actually having interesting and entertaining content. This timer mechanism is pure tedium that only serves to consume the player's attention and energy. Which came first, I wonder.. Did they come up with the title "Stay Human" first and then invent the timer mechanism to support the concept, or did they hit a wall in development and then were relegated to creating the timer as gameplay padding?

I was cautiously excited for this until watching some post-release gameplay, and now I doubt that any amount of patching can make this seem appealing, fun or competently designed. Oh, but I do have to admit that the dynamic soundtrack is really nice, probably the most impressive aspect of the game in my opinion.

Drop Duck

Learned
Fair criticisms. The setting/visuals, immersion, parkour, move set, and gore made the game fun for me. The combat was way beyond Ubisoft, imo. Some of the missions were cool. But the game did run out of steam at a certain point, even for me.
The actual nuts and bolts of the first Dying Light are not bad at all. It looks great and plays great. Your hits have good impact and it's much better than the half-assed combat of Ubisoft games. The play area feels huge too. I think the losing steam part is inherent to how long the game is. Even very good gameplay if repeated enough times will outstay its welcome as you pointed out. With that kind of scope there also has to be filler in the game. The story being what it is I just didn't have the incentive to go on, there's nothing around the corner except more annoying enemies and more color coded loot. If it would have had a good story and shrunk to a 7 hour experience or so it would have been on a top games list for me. That way the game would also have been flatter, with the end-game gear not being miles away from the starting gear in terms of damage. They could also then have removed level scaling and delivered a more finely tuned experience. Would have been a better use of the top tier art assets, coding wizardry, satisfying combat and parkour. There could also have been a specific co-op campaign with less cinematics.

Drop Duck

Learned
Point is, no one is playing that long unless they want to, and they wouldn't want to if they weren't enjoying it.
What are you on about? I did enjoy Dying Light but dropped it after open world fatigue kicked in. So I don't know how long the game actually is.

JDR13

Arcane

toroid

Arcane
So I don't know how long the game actually is.
Yes, that was kind of obvious.
Turns out I was right anyway, as usual.
Dying Light 1 is the seventh most played in my Steam library, with 211 hours.

That's the total time he's spent playing it on Steam so far not the time it takes to complete 1 playthrough.

I've completed both the main campaign and The Following DLC once, so I have seen one of the three DLC endings. I've also started a new game several times just to play around with gameplay mechanics and progression. Also I found and completed all the secret content and all or most of the easter eggs. There is a surprising amount of content and the secrets are intriguing. I never rushed any part of the game, I always took my time and enjoyed the attention to detail, so it shouldn't be surprising that I accumulated so many hours. In fact, I'll probably do another playthrough soon.

Zlaja

Arcane
Why the fuck did they had to include the bullshit x-ray vision that higlights loot and makes you see enemies through walls? I fucking hate this shit and it's so immersion breaking. Such lazy game design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom